Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Was really drat hard to get a chase hyatt through recon today. They were talking about "too many lines open with us recently" (6 total in 2 years, 4 with chase, 3 of those in past 6 months). That "5 cards max in 24 months" rule applying to cobranded cards as well might be getting a soft launch earlier than expected (middle-end of april).

So if you want a chase ihg or hyatt for the cheap anniversary nights, or trying to get a companion pass with southwest (those are the 4 cards I grabbed), might want to jump on it sooner rather than later if you will be hit by the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Today I read the price rewind details on my card (I have the Citi double cash) and I called customer service saying "So if Store A has something for $100 + $0 shipping and Store B has it for $80 + $20 shipping, I can buy from Store A and get $20 back by comparing to Store B!?" and they said yes.

Will they cancel my card if I lose them "too much" money?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xom posted:

Today I read the price rewind details on my card (I have the Citi double cash) and I called customer service saying "So if Store A has something for $100 + $0 shipping and Store B has it for $80 + $20 shipping, I can buy from Store A and get $20 back by comparing to Store B!?" and they said yes.

You are hardly making them lose money. You'll be fine.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I already have a Chase Freedom card, can I get the new Chase Freedom Unlimited card and still get the $150 signup bonus?

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

They won't cancel--also I believe there's an annual limit to how much you can get via Price Rewind annually. Check the fine print. Doublecash 4 lyfe, that's the card I use all the time.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Baddog posted:

Was really drat hard to get a chase hyatt through recon today. They were talking about "too many lines open with us recently" (6 total in 2 years, 4 with chase, 3 of those in past 6 months). That "5 cards max in 24 months" rule applying to cobranded cards as well might be getting a soft launch earlier than expected (middle-end of april).

So if you want a chase ihg or hyatt for the cheap anniversary nights, or trying to get a companion pass with southwest (those are the 4 cards I grabbed), might want to jump on it sooner rather than later if you will be hit by the rule.

It sounds like your issue wasn't 5/24 (a rule which accounts for all recently opened accounts from all lenders), but rather too many recent accounts with Chase itself. Plenty of datapoints on Flyertalk, Reddit, and Doctor of Credit suggest that 5/24 hasn't kicked in yet for co-branded cards.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If I already have a Chase Freedom card, can I get the new Chase Freedom Unlimited card and still get the $150 signup bonus?

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited

They are different products, so yes. Be aware of the 5/24 rule if you churn.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

It sounds like your issue wasn't 5/24 (a rule which accounts for all recently opened accounts from all lenders), but rather too many recent accounts with Chase itself. Plenty of datapoints on Flyertalk, Reddit, and Doctor of Credit suggest that 5/24 hasn't kicked in yet for co-branded cards.

Yah, I just felt like 3 chase cards in six months wasn't that many, (seeing as how some people have apparently grabbed nearly everything chase offers in the last 2 months), and Chase was maybe tightening up a bit before fully implementing the hard rule. Or I just got someone who was being a pain in the rear end that day.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently have CSP / United Mileage Plus / Chase Freedom - Are there any other CC's out there which I can receive signup bonus points + accrue additional points to add to my United mileage account? I know SPG AX has but you lose half after transferring to United.

I've been looking at the Chase Ink Business CC and I remember applying for it but they wanted my business tax information so unfortunately I was unable to get it.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Currently have CSP / United Mileage Plus / Chase Freedom - Are there any other CC's out there which I can receive signup bonus points + accrue additional points to add to my United mileage account? I know SPG AX has but you lose half after transferring to United.

I've been looking at the Chase Ink Business CC and I remember applying for it but they wanted my business tax information so unfortunately I was unable to get it.

Chase Freedom Unlimited has a signup bonus and can transfer to United via the CSP. They will deny an application if you've opened 5 new credit cards within the last 24 months.

You don't need business information to apply for a business credit card. If you choose sole proprietorship, you enter your SSN instead of a business tax ID. Don't lie on the application, but there any number of things that can qualify you as a business. Selling pretty much anything or thinking about opening a business are probably the two most common things that people overlook.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

asur posted:

Chase Freedom Unlimited has a signup bonus and can transfer to United via the CSP. They will deny an application if you've opened 5 new credit cards within the last 24 months.

You don't need business information to apply for a business credit card. If you choose sole proprietorship, you enter your SSN instead of a business tax ID. Don't lie on the application, but there any number of things that can qualify you as a business. Selling pretty much anything or thinking about opening a business are probably the two most common things that people overlook.

I see a $150 bonus for CF Unlimited - does that mean 15,000 points?

Also, I've never actually thought about this but for all these Chase reward CC's, it says "REWARDS DON'T EXPIRE AS LONG AS YOUR ACCOUNT IS OPEN." So does that mean if I have the CF Unlimited for a year or two and cancel my credit card that they take away the 15,000 points?

Lastly, for the Chase business CC, it says that I can add any additional employees cards at no additional cost. Does this mean I just supply Chase with a first and last name and they will give me a CC with those details (In which I will be 100% responsible for all the costs associated with that card) or will they have to do a credit check for those individuals as well?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 6, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I see a $150 bonus for CF Unlimited - does that mean 15,000 points?

Also, I've never actually thought about this but for all these Chase reward CC's, it says "REWARDS DON'T EXPIRE AS LONG AS YOUR ACCOUNT IS OPEN." So does that mean if I have the CF Unlimited for a year or two and cancel my credit card that they take away the 15,000 points?

Lastly, for the Chase business CC, it says that I can add any additional employees cards at no additional cost. Does this mean I just supply Chase with a first and last name and they will give me a CC with those details (In which I will be 100% responsible for all the costs associated with that card) or will they have to do a credit check for those individuals as well?

$150 is 15,000 points. You need to read the rest of the terms to determine what happens to reward points when you cancel the card as it's card and issuer dependent. No idea on the business card question.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Busy Bee posted:

If you have the CSP, you can transfer points from the Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, or Ink card.

Also, 70,000 Marriott points transfers to something like 30,000 United points, so that's always an option.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Whats the best (domestic) travel and hotel card these days? I only have a double cash and aren't really picky about which hotel chain I'm in. I do want to avoid annual fees.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If you're hotel agnostic, I wouldn't bother with a brand specific card. Book your rooms on hotels.com or whatever and take your 2% cash back.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

app posted:

:rip: Citi Forward

June 3rd 2016

Yea I recently got that letter too. Goodbye 5% on restaurants and Amazon, hello 2%. No thanks, gonna cancel that card. I got the card back when it was an MTVu student card, but no reason to keep it now that I have a double cash.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any information on what's up with the Sallie Mae Barclay's card? I only use it for the gas/groceries/Amazon but I saw it's not online anymore and would hate for it to go away.

I just a double cash for most other purchases and a discover for whatever is in its 5%.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Massasoit posted:

Any information on what's up with the Sallie Mae Barclay's card? I only use it for the gas/groceries/Amazon but I saw it's not online anymore and would hate for it to go away.

I just a double cash for most other purchases and a discover for whatever is in its 5%.

If you're an existing customer the rewards haven't changed, but you can no longer apply for it as a new customer. They will likely either change the rewards program or transition it into a different card at some point, but we have no idea when that will be.

The Citi Forward Card only just announced they were changing its rewards program and that card hasn't been around for years. (My very first credit card actually :qq:)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I am poor and have no credit, so I was thinking of getting a credit card for the sake of having and building credit. I receive food stamps, so I rarely need to buy groceries with cash, and I rely on public transportation, so I almost never buy gas unless riding with a friend or family member. Utilities are included in my rent, but I do pay about $90 on phone and internet bills. Based on my personal budget and my bank statements, the single largest thing I regularly spend my disposable income on is eating out, usually take-out or fast food. Occassionaly I spend extra money on things like movies or games, but these sorts of expenses are much less frequent and most of the time have a much smaller total monthly cost.

What would you recommend? Should I even get a card at this point? So far the only major drawbacks to a lack of credit are not being able to use budgeting software and getting declined for a line of overdraft credit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get a secured card with a limit of like $100 on it. Use it and pay it off every month. There is no downside to having credit and it is how the world works these days where you are required to have it in order to do some pretty basic things. Once you have a year on that secured card you can move to a regular unsecured card if you need.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Mr Tastee posted:

I am poor and have no credit, so I was thinking of getting a credit card for the sake of having and building credit. I receive food stamps, so I rarely need to buy groceries with cash, and I rely on public transportation, so I almost never buy gas unless riding with a friend or family member. Utilities are included in my rent, but I do pay about $90 on phone and internet bills. Based on my personal budget and my bank statements, the single largest thing I regularly spend my disposable income on is eating out, usually take-out or fast food. Occassionaly I spend extra money on things like movies or games, but these sorts of expenses are much less frequent and most of the time have a much smaller total monthly cost.

What would you recommend? Should I even get a card at this point? So far the only major drawbacks to a lack of credit are not being able to use budgeting software and getting declined for a line of overdraft credit.

I would get a credit card and use it to just pay the cell phone and internet bills for a while. You will probably need to get a secured card, Discover's is great because it will automatically convert to a standard credit card if you pay it on time reliably. When you do need credit or you decide you want a better rewards card you'll have the credit history you need.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THF13 posted:

I would get a credit card and use it to just pay the cell phone and internet bills for a while. You will probably need to get a secured card, Discover's is great because it will automatically convert to a standard credit card if you pay it on time reliably. When you do need credit or you decide you want a better rewards card you'll have the credit history you need.

I second this post

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Tastee posted:

What THF13 is spot-on - go for the Discover secured card (you can Google how to get this card), use it, pay it off every month, and you will build credit pretty fast.

The only thing I will add is this: please please please do not get yourself into credit trouble. Don't do this if you aren't going to be able to resist the temptation. I have a few friends that have looked at credit cards as loans, and it never ends well. One is about to declare bankruptcy and the other is just barely making minimum payments. Treat it as cash and only spend what you've got the money to cover. Pretty much anything dumb you do with credit will haunt you for seven years. It's a long, long time. Be smart about it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

You can actually just apply for the Discover Secured Card directly now. https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/secured/

They unfortunately changed the rewards program from the rotating 5% cash back categories to instead match the Discover It Chrome's 1% everywhere, 2% on restaurants/gas stations but the fact that it has no annual fee and a rewards program at all on a secured card is still pretty good.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How long do you guys suspect that the Chase Freedom Unlimited 15k signup offer will be available?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 13, 2016

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

How long do you guys suspect that the Chase Freedom Unlimited 15k signup offer will be available?

It's the same as the regular freedom 's 15k , I haven't read any indication that it's a limited time thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If I want to claim a bonus that requires adding an authorized user to a card and making a purchase is there anything stopping me from just putting a friend or relative's name on there and using it? How do they verify that? And how do they determine when an authorized user has made a purchase as opposed to myself?

Also, the terms on my card say that balances must be paid "within 23 days of the due date." Is the due date based on the end of the calendar month or date of transaction?

I'm in my 30's, but have been avoiding cards until now. Hoping to collect some sign up bonuses and use it as a debit card / payoff the balance each month for cashback rewards.

This is for the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
For Chase you can just make up whatever you want for an AU. Use your pet's name or something.

Due date is the due date and will tell you exactly what it is when you log into your chase account.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Barry posted:

For Chase you can just make up whatever you want for an AU. Use your pet's name or something.

Due date is the due date and will tell you exactly what it is when you log into your chase account.

How do they determine when fluffy has made a purchase or when I have? Is it a second card? I've just been approved, but haven't received the card yet. Also, I did not add any AU when I initially applied.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 15, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If I want to claim a bonus that requires adding an authorized user to a card and making a purchase is there anything stopping me from just putting a friend or relative's name on there and using it? How do they verify that? And how do they determine when an authorized user has made a purchase as opposed to myself?

Also, the terms on my card say that balances must be paid "within 23 days of the due date." Is the due date based on the end of the calendar month or date of transaction?

Nothing much is stopping you, lots of people put pets names on AU cards. Chase doesn't ask for an SSN for the authorized user and they even recommend getting an authorized user card if you've got a nickname you'd like on a card. It'd probably be safer to not use a real person's name so you don't impact their credit report, but that should only happen if they had the same address as you (or maybe a super unique name?)

Due date is semi-random based on when in the month they open the account, it'll show up in the online portal. You can send them a message if you'd like to change it to match up with something on your side.

edit wow thread moving fast this morning....

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 15, 2016

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

How do they determine when fluffy has made a purchase or when I have? Is it a second card? I've just been approved, but haven't received the card yet. Also, I did not add any AU when I initially applied.

It's a second card, exactly the same as the first except for the name on the front. American Express AU cards are different numbers and they can actually track purchases by card/user, but Chase doesn't do this. You never need to use the AU card to make a purchase, but you can if you want just to be safe.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I recently applied for an Amex blue cash preferred over the weekend but the online application timed out and I got an error message. Turns out my app is still pending five days later because of some internal "computer glitches" as the CSR told me this morning.

There might be a queue of back logged applications in case anyone else was thinking of applying online for an Amex soon. Just an FYI

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This might be a stupid question, but when the cashback terms on a Chase card specify that you earn "X Points per $1," does this mean that they would round down for residual cents?

I.E. Would the amount of points for a $6.95 purchase be the same as a $6.00 purchase?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

This might be a stupid question, but when the cashback terms on a Chase card specify that you earn "X Points per $1," does this mean that they would round down for residual cents?

I.E. Would the amount of points for a $6.95 purchase be the same as a $6.00 purchase?

They don't round down. A $6.95 purchase would net you 6.95 points.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to cancel my CSP CC since the Annual Fee is coming up and I was just recently accepted for the Chase Ink CC. My understanding is that I can still transfer any Chase Freedom / Unlimited points to my Chase Ink CC and then transfer it to whatever airline / hotel partner that is eligible, correct?

Also, is there anything else I should know before I cancel my CSP card? Pay off the balance in full and transfer any remaining points to any airline / hotel partner I use? I don't want to get hit with a fee or lose any points / miles I've accrued.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 15, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Busy Bee posted:

I want to cancel my CSP CC since the Annual Fee is coming up and I was just recently accepted for the Chase Ink CC. My understanding is that I can still transfer any Chase Freedom / Unlimited points to my Chase Ink CC and then transfer it to whatever airline / hotel partner that is eligible, correct?

Also, is there anything else I should know before I cancel my CSP card? Pay off the balance in full and transfer any remaining points to any airline / hotel partner I use? I don't want to get hit with a fee or lose any points / miles I've accrued.
I would change the card to a CS from CSP, that will prevent a hit to your average ace of accounts. I'm unsure about the transfer of points.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can normally cancel within a short period of time after the annual fee occurs and the issuer will refund the fee. I believe for Chase the time limit is 30 days. I would wait till you setup your Chase Ink and then transfer the points to that before cancelling.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

I would change the card to a CS from CSP, that will prevent a hit to your average ace of accounts. I'm unsure about the transfer of points.

CS is Chase Slate or Chase Sapphire? I can only find CSP online but also found this website talking about the Chase Sapphire card - http://www.askmrcreditcard.com/chase/sapphire/

SiGmA_X posted:

If I do that will I still be eligible to sign up for the CSP with the bonus after 24 months?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SiGmA_X posted:

The age of the account will be the same regardless of whether the product change is to a regular Sapphire or a Freedom, this latter card offering better earning rates for UR points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
You can transfer points between your card accounts online, it's really easy. I'd see if you can product change the CSP to one of the Freedom cards, depending on your spending habits. Once you're off of the CSP you can get the reward again 24 months after you last received the reward - not 24 months after changing the card. For example, I originally got the 50k points in Feburary 2014, held the card until I cancelled it in January of this year, and then got the signup bonus again in March.