Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Alan Grayson is an rear end in a top hat but he spends most of his rear end in a top hat energy making GBS threads on republicans and promoting progressive policies so i'd be fine with him in the senate

Patrick Murphy is barely even a democrat and has the full weight of the shittiest parts of the party (DWS et al) behind his campaign so gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i wish he wouldve been willing to stay in the house and kept doing it but i think there's no realistic scenario where he wins a statewide race in florida

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

oystertoadfish posted:

afaik grayson is a corrupt finance industry rich guy who decided to become the louie gohmert of the left

that can earn a guy a following but it turns out maybe he should've been satisfied with coasting in a safe house district 'cause now his poo poo is falling apart. but i'm guessing he's an egomaniac, so here we are

this whole thing where the democrats are going to spend a shitload of money propping up a demonstrably lesser candidate against sestak because he hosed up the deal they made with arlen specter when he switched parties six years ago by beating him in a primary seems pretty ugly, but i guess if you're gonna be a political machine you have to follow through when somebody goes against you. it's not exactly hopey or changey is it

i say mcginty's demonstrably lesser because she doesn't have an impressive electoral history and trails by a large margin in primary polls even as undecideds seem to be dwindling (although it's really way too early for the polling point) while sestak not only beat sestak but barely lost in the biggest republican wave election of our generation

Its twenty days away, if you can't poll now when can you?

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/senate-governor-2016-several-ratings-move-toward-democrats/

Sabato update this morning - moving 6 states in D direction (but still only one that's actually expected to go D)

Key thing is that they believe BOTH Trump and Cruz would hurt R senate hopefuls. Seeing Grassley get kicked out after the SCOTUS posturing would be incredible

and govs for fun - didn't know McCrory was up, timing of that bill and the loss of Paypal, (maybe) the NBA all star game, etc is going to haunt him

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It blows my mind that McCrory, who got elected, barely, pandering as a moderate, isn't facing a blowout after revealing himself to be a god awful piece of poo poo.

Lycus posted:

Sestak and Cruz will become inseparable friends.

The new Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich odd couple.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If anything, that law will probably make him more popular.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Its twenty days away, if you can't poll now when can you?

i could be glib and say two weeks from now but fair enough. i guess the impression i'd been getting was that there were still a ton of undecideds, making the polling less meaningful than it could be; maybe that's changed, maybe it'll change in the next few weeks, maybe this will still be a low-information electorate when the primary comes up

i only know things posted in dke and their comment threads and im usually a day or five behind on my reading for good measure so i should probably just shut up and learn

so given that context im sure its not surprising that i think sabato is responding appropriately to the gop primary by moving downballot poo poo toward the democrats

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

If anything, that law will probably make him more popular.

For Cruz this would be an exponential increase in his popularity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the ads for Sestak and McGinty are saying basically the same thing policy wise to me. Is there any discernible difference between the two besides the fact that Sestak is a huge dick

If I could vote in the primary (registered independent), I'd think I'd go for Sestak just because I think he has a better chance of pulling in any Republicans turned off by Trump/Cruz

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DOOP posted:

the ads for Sestak and McGinty are saying basically the same thing policy wise to me. Is there any discernible difference between the two besides the fact that Sestak is a huge dick

If I could vote in the primary (registered independent), I'd think I'd go for Sestak just because I think he has a better chance of pulling in any Republicans turned off by Trump/Cruz

Katie McGuinty is a woman. Or at least thats what all her ads are saying. Policywise, ehh, who the hell knows with her because she's never served in elective office before nor was her gubernatorial platform a serious effort like Wolf's was (seriously, say what you want about the guy but his platform made all the other candidates' look like high school Civics projects.) Sestak was a down the line Democrat but not exactly a Bernie Sanders or anything. Despite all the bawling about him being a poor fundraiser he's raised more than KMcG so far, thats why Emily's List and the DSCC are having to bail her out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

It blows my mind that McCrory, who got elected, barely, pandering as a moderate, isn't facing a blowout after revealing himself to be a god awful piece of poo poo.

roy cooper has like 60% name recognition despite the fact he's been ag for 16 years

lots of people have no clue who any of their statewide officials are other than the governor

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

how accurate are senate polls this far out? toomey is sitting at +9 on mcginty but i don't know how much of that is just incumbency/name recognition at this point

i don't live there anymore so i have no idea if toomey is actually unpopular (i know he was taking heat over garland earlier) or if the toss-up rating is just because of demographics

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) celebrates 61 with a Miller Lite -- his favorite beer and a Wisconsin staple.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
So many years of poo poo beer.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just from two weeks in madison and a 90 minute delay in the airport i can tell you there's a LITTLE bit more than miller in wisconsin. new glarus is the name that comes to mind but there were so many other breweries im forgetting. madison is a nice rear end town btw. never been anywhere else in wisconsin

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

oystertoadfish posted:

just from two weeks in madison and a 90 minute delay in the airport i can tell you there's a LITTLE bit more than miller in wisconsin. new glarus is the name that comes to mind but there were so many other breweries im forgetting. madison is a nice rear end town btw. never been anywhere else in wisconsin

who cares about wisconsin beer? tell me more about your cheeeeeeeesseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ps gently caress Leinenkugel, gently caress 'em

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Leinie's is Miller, too.

Pabst is a great Wisconsin brewery that moved to Texas, I bet it's Scott Walker's favorite.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The X-man cometh posted:

Leinie's is Miller, too.

Pabst is a great Wisconsin brewery that moved to Texas, I bet it's Scott Walker's favorite.

When did Leinie's become Miller? Last I remembered, the Leinie family funded reprehensible causes to the tune of multi-millions per cycle at the least. They're some of the strongest Club For Growth supporters out there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pabst seems to be chipping away at Lone Star's market share and I hate it

edit vvv n...noooo

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Apr 9, 2016

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Which is weird since they own Lone Star.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/who-actually-owns-your-favorite-beer-1456975399

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oystertoadfish posted:

madison is a nice rear end town btw.

:lol: not if you're black.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: not if you're black.

believable

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

Pabst seems to be chipping away at Lone Star's market share and I hate it

edit vvv n...noooo

like the majority of beer in america is owned by one corporation

thankfully the majority of growth in beer is owned by smallbatch breweries

beer is becoming more a community experience and less a personal consumption habit. Unfortunately, AnBev/Miller does not realize this.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

like the majority of beer in america is owned by one corporation

thankfully the majority of growth in beer is owned by smallbatch breweries

beer is becoming more a community experience and less a personal consumption habit. Unfortunately, AnBev/Miller does not realize this.

Unironically agreeing with an MIGF post ITT.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Franco Potente posted:

What conversation can you start with a Coors or Bud Lite?

'Its cheap'
'At least its not Grain Belt'
'It has taste!?'

Especially the last one. Okay, so what if your beer is "flavorful"? What kind of flavors? Could you describe the texture to me? Where were the ingredients sourced? Was it better last season? None of those apply to AnBev/Miller products, really. Just too big a supply chain to manage; much easier to focus on Africa as a growth market than to change their corporate culture.

Now, if AnBev/Miller wants to give me money to start up R&D labs in inner-city and reservation schools under the guise of STEM education, they could make beer great again.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, you could start a friendly debate over which one tastes more like piss.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

Well, you could start a friendly debate over which one tastes more like piss.

You try that at a biker bar and tell me how it goes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Franco Potente posted:

beerchat is the great and constant unifier. from beerchat general chat comes, to beerchat general chat invariably leads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Can't spell Pilsners without Piss.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Its cheap'
'At least its not Grain Belt'
'It has taste!?'

Especially the last one. Okay, so what if your beer is "flavorful"? What kind of flavors? Could you describe the texture to me? Where were the ingredients sourced? Was it better last season? None of those apply to AnBev/Miller products, really. Just too big a supply chain to manage; much easier to focus on Africa as a growth market than to change their corporate culture.

Now, if AnBev/Miller wants to give me money to start up R&D labs in inner-city and reservation schools under the guise of STEM education, they could make beer great again.

Grain Belt is better than Coors or Bud Light.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Grain Belt is better than Coors or Bud Light.

No kidding, Grainies for life.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sestak gets the Post-Gazette's endorsement.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Maryland Democrats apparently can't make up their drat minds for who will win their safe senate seat. These polls are all the hell over the place, with a week to go:

These sporadic polls have been bouncing back and forth so far beyond the MoE that I have no idea what to make of them. I'm also wondering whether the still-continuing Presidential nomination fight will have any effect on this closed primary.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

there's some drama going on where edwards used an obama clip to call van hollen an nra ally, then obama's people got mad, but carefully avoided shaming edwards by name, bc van hollen had agreed to let the gop put some stupid nra rider on a bill to try to get it passed and he was working with the white house, so the edwards pac said they'd take the ad down but theyre still attacking him as a guy who sucks guns like dicks or w/e

silliness

i think a van hollen ad called edwards the most useless non-republican member of the house, so the poo poo is being flung both ways

on the face of it it seems like van hollen shouldnt have taken the risk of jumping into this race, he was one of the youngest guys high up on the leadership chain in the house for the d, but i guess the house is just a loving horrible chore to be a member of and every egotistical rear end in a top hat wants to be a senator, even if you dont get to lead poo poo, and maybe he's sick of it and he'd rather take the shot at the senate now and just gently caress off and become a multi-millionaire whoring himself out as a lobbyist if he happens to lose

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That's an objectively false attack, Colin Peterson is the most useless non-republican member of congress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's really nuts that Edwards isn't destroying Van Hollen. He's one of the least inspiring politicians we have and she seems like a great candidate from afar....

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's really nuts that Edwards isn't destroying Van Hollen. He's one of the least inspiring politicians we have and she seems like a great candidate from afar....

I thought Van Hollen was the head of the DCCC (is or was). Not surprising that in a state so close to the Beltway that the establishment would have more sway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I believe he still is.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The American Prospect's Nathalie Baptiste wrote about the background of the Maryland Senate race in the most recent issue, link here.

It's a good, balanced article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Nameless_Steve posted:

Maryland Democrats apparently can't make up their drat minds for who will win their safe senate seat. These polls are all the hell over the place, with a week to go:

These sporadic polls have been bouncing back and forth so far beyond the MoE that I have no idea what to make of them. I'm also wondering whether the still-continuing Presidential nomination fight will have any effect on this closed primary.

Yeah. It's a shame that my vote Actually Matters in this race. There are so many wonderful other candidates to choose from.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/voter-guide-2016/senate/senate.html?cand=dickson

I enjoyed every second of reading these insightful responses to hard hitting questions.

• Locked thread