Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

QTE mini-game.

I found some leaked footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

and final showdown in the lifestream Sephiroth

Is that even a thing though? It came up in Elentor's LP and now I kinda agree with the interpretation that it's not actually Sephiroth, it's just Cloud overcoming the "shadow" of Seph in his psyche.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Is that even a thing though? It came up in Elentor's LP and now I kinda agree with the interpretation that it's not actually Sephiroth, it's just Cloud overcoming the "shadow" of Seph in his psyche.

The fight before that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

If you are on board Safer Sephiroth is the final shred of Jenova puppeted chimeras outside the lifestream, you've annihilated everything Jenova or Sephiroth have control over but Sepiroth the man frozen in materia is still unaccounted for, and something is preventing the lifestream from channeling Holy.

It could be Cloud holding back the planet from saving itself, but that's kind of contrary to the whole post Mideel plot being Cloud is still kinda psychologically hosed up but at least has control over his body and mind again again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

If you are on board Safer Sephiroth is the final shred of Jenova puppeted chimeras outside the lifestream, you've annihilated everything Jenova or Sephiroth have control over but Sepiroth the man frozen in materia is still unaccounted for, and something is preventing the lifestream from channeling Holy.

It could be Cloud holding back the planet from saving itself, but that's kind of contrary to the whole post Mideel plot being Cloud is still kinda psychologically hosed up but at least has control over his body and mind again again.

That's definitely Sephiroth you kill at the end there. The party even makes a huge deal about how this is the REAL DEAL 'cuz he's magically torturing them all effortlessly.. Plus we're told that it's Sephiroth holding Holy back and we see Holy right behind Sephiroth before final battles. Kind of a nice visual aid, ya know?

Also he's specifically dead by Advent Children which is why the Bishie Brothers exist but we can ignore that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

That's definitely Sephiroth you kill at the end there. The party even makes a huge deal about how this is the REAL DEAL 'cuz he's magically torturing them all effortlessly.. Plus we're told that it's Sephiroth holding Holy back and we see Holy right behind Sephiroth before final battles. Kind of a nice visual aid, ya know?

Also he's specifically dead by Advent Children which is why the Bishie Brothers exist but we can ignore that.
Yeah that's what I mean when I say final showdown Sephiroth. The far inferior point of view is that Safer Sephiroth was actually Sephiroth

and

gently caress,

somebody explode a sun over my head I didn't want to get into this dumb discussion again until the remake ends

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

I think they even mention in the Ultimania that you chase Sephiroth because a super deformed Sephiroth field model worked, where the super deformed Jenova models looked dumb.

Is that really the only reason? Seems like they wanted us to think Sephiroth was up and still around even if he wasn't exactly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
EVERYBODYS loving SEPHIROTH. My first playthrough I named everybody Sephiroth that I could.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bloodychill posted:

Is that really the only reason? Seems like they wanted us to think Sephiroth was up and still around even if he wasn't exactly.
I maybe worded it badly, I think the original concept is that you were explicitly chasing (something shaped like) Sephiroth and cosmic horror Jenova as a duo, instead of whatever was going on in the actual game where you always see Sephiroth and he farts a Jenova boss fight at you or whatever.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Sephiroth as of the time you spend playing the game has already mentally overcome Jenova; by the time you start fighting the Jenova body part monsters, she has lost all agency and her cells are acting under Sephiroth's will. There was a vocal minority back in the day that wanted to push the idea that Sephiroth was slaving under Jenova's control, but it's exactly the opposite and rightly so for thematic reasons. He's meant to be Cloud's opposite: naturally gifted, immediately and apparently better than everyone else without even trying and, most importantly, completely in control of himself and certain of what he wants. The final fight between the two of them represents Cloud's ultimate triumph over his own weakness of spirit, as the mental manifestation of who he is as a person proceeds to chop Sephiroth's will into tiny pieces.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Sephiroth's only, like, level 50 dude. By the end of the game everybody's at least level 70.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that hard to figure out. Sephiroth is imprisoned in the lifestream/the North Crater. Cloud's memories of Sephiroth are of the actual guy, the Jenova takes his form due to his deep connection with her. You never meet the real Sephiroth until the end of the game. His ambitions are unknowable, but it seems likely that he's grown deeply nihilistic due to his upbringing. That negative energy empowered Jenova, who gathered itself together in the Reunion. Together with Sephiroth, they called upon Meteor.

Then you gotta fix that poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Sephiroth's basically Shadow the Hedgehog to Aerith's Sonic the Hedgehog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so Cloud is Elise

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Barret is Tails and Tifa is Knuckles, pretty obv

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, the plot of FFVII isn't so much complex as it simply has a lot of moving parts to it.

You have:

Shinra
The Heroes
Sephiroth
Jenova

brroken down further:

Heidregger and Scarlet
the Turks
Rufus and his father
Hojo

Cloud's memory issues and Tifa's knowledge of them;
Barret, Red 13, and Yuffie all have home towns ruined by Shinra and seek to rebuild them in different ways. Cid also falls in this group.
Vincent seeks revenge against Hojo.
Cait Sith is a spy, but is sympathetic to the Heroes' aim.

Sephiroth is a fragmented memory; Jenova is the actual present threat.
Sephiroth is still alive, and has his own plan; it is similar, but possibly different than Jenova's.
Jenova wants to corrupt the world; Sephiroth wants to destroy it.

Further concepts:

Lifestream
The Planet defends itself (Weapons)
Rural culture being destroyed by industrial culture
Technology versus nature; mankind versus the world

But ultimately, all of these plots and concepts lead to the same end. The Planet has to be saved, and Shinra has to be destroyed. Sephiroth and Jenova are the former threat,; Shinra is the latter. The game succeeds in this by having you go out, destroy Shinra utterly in a lengthy and challenging dungeon and rush of bosses; then you save the Planet with Sephiroth.

...I tried to write up a one-sentence of FFVII and failed completely, so actually, maybe the story is kind of convoluted after all. Not in a bad way, but it's not nearly as simple as FFIV, which can be summed up as:

Cecil, a knight of an aggressive kingdom, is betrayed by his king and sent on a suicide mission, because he questioned their wanton genocide of a neighboring city state. Renouncing his oath to them, he becomes a Paladin, and is joined by others to go and fight his former countrymen, in the process discovering deep truths about the world he lives in and his own birth and destiny.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that makes yuffie, big the cat

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

8-Bit Scholar posted:

a bunch of bullshit

You have:

Dr. Eggman = Rufus
Tyhe Egg Empire = Shinra
The Turks = whatever the gently caress crazy boss robots
WEAPONs = together they form the Death Egg
Meteor = Space Colony Ark

Sonic goes on adventures. Joined by Tails and finds friendly rival in Knucks. Pursued by romantic love interest Amy. Then Sega gets too deep into the furry poo poo and out spews all these other retarded rear end characters and the plot gets so loving stupid.

motherfucker this all fits too perfectly. Square-Enix had a license to make a Sonic game and they did, but halfway through development they decided that this story could be successful and renamed it Final Fantasy 7.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly, the plot of FFVII isn't so much complex as it simply has a lot of moving parts to it.

You have:

Shinra
The Heroes
Sephiroth
Jenova

brroken down further:

Heidregger and Scarlet
the Turks
Rufus and his father
Hojo

Cloud's memory issues and Tifa's knowledge of them;
Barret, Red 13, and Yuffie all have home towns ruined by Shinra and seek to rebuild them in different ways. Cid also falls in this group.
Vincent seeks revenge against Hojo.
Cait Sith is a spy, but is sympathetic to the Heroes' aim.

Sephiroth is a fragmented memory; Jenova is the actual present threat.
Sephiroth is still alive, and has his own plan; it is similar, but possibly different than Jenova's.
Jenova wants to corrupt the world; Sephiroth wants to destroy it.

Further concepts:

Lifestream
The Planet defends itself (Weapons)
Rural culture being destroyed by industrial culture
Technology versus nature; mankind versus the world

But ultimately, all of these plots and concepts lead to the same end. The Planet has to be saved, and Shinra has to be destroyed. Sephiroth and Jenova are the former threat,; Shinra is the latter. The game succeeds in this by having you go out, destroy Shinra utterly in a lengthy and challenging dungeon and rush of bosses; then you save the Planet with Sephiroth.

...I tried to write up a one-sentence of FFVII and failed completely, so actually, maybe the story is kind of convoluted after all. Not in a bad way, but it's not nearly as simple as FFIV, which can be summed up as:

Cecil, a knight of an aggressive kingdom, is betrayed by his king and sent on a suicide mission, because he questioned their wanton genocide of a neighboring city state. Renouncing his oath to them, he becomes a Paladin, and is joined by others to go and fight his former countrymen, in the process discovering deep truths about the world he lives in and his own birth and destiny.

I'm curious now, how would you sum up FFVII's fellow PSX entries?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
FF7 is the story about some dudes chasing another dude while i get dreadfully bored and play something else after 10 hours

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's real simple yo, you got this fangirl obsessed with this German electrometal band Time Kompression and she wants to get them to play at the prom but they're pretty awful so you and the rest of the student council have to stop her and get Hot Dogz to play instead and at some point you find out you all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF7 is a good game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious now, how would you sum up FFVII's fellow PSX entries?

Fart, poo poo, piss on your face

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

...I tried to write up a one-sentence of FFVII and failed completely, so actually, maybe the story is kind of convoluted after all.

I honestly had thought you were joking. "It's not hard, it's just <crazy convoluted poo poo involving memories, clones, creatures taking people's forms, and negative energy that 0.002% of the people that played the game figured out>"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's real simple yo, you got this fangirl obsessed with this German electrometal band Time Kompression and she wants to get them to play at the prom but they're pretty awful so you and the rest of the student council have to stop her and get Hot Dogz to play instead and at some point you find out you all grew up in the same orphanage but forgot.
FFVIII is a lot better-written than I remember.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I honestly had thought you were joking. "It's not hard, it's just <crazy convoluted poo poo involving memories, clones, creatures taking people's forms, and negative energy that 0.002% of the people that played the game figured out>"

It's honestly truly impressive the game is as coherent as it is, bad translation or no. There's actually quite a lot of poo poo happening throughout.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

RatHat posted:

Final Fantasy 13 came out in 2009 and the 3rd game came out in 2013, so only 4 years. Unless something goes wrong in production, and assuming Ep 1 comes out 2017, we should have all 3 games by 2022 at the latest.

Not to mention that the XIII trilogy wasn't planned from the beginning and was made on the annoying Crystal Tools engine, whereas FFVIIR is planned out from the start, most of its story is already done, and it's being made on the far simpler UE4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

That's obviously Cait Sith

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

To be honest I kinda want Cloud to just have a meltdown in some VII canon.

Like, he kills Safer Sephiroth, but like goes batshit and hallucinates everything after Safer Sephiroth.

Or have him go mad as he believes Seph killed Aerith but instead reveal Aerith killed Seph leading to Cloud killing Aerith

Is it wrong to want an anime protag that gets absolutely delusional

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure this is the plot of FFVIII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVf940pO5ME&t=46s

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

That's obviously Cait Sith

Nah too obvious, Cait Sith is like Espio

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The White Dragon posted:

Nah too obvious, Cait Sith is like Espio

Cait Sith is Gamma, and Reeve is that bird Eggman built into him.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

Like, he kills Safer Sephiroth, but like goes batshit and hallucinates everything after Safer Sephiroth.

Or have him go mad as he believes Seph killed Aerith but instead reveal Aerith killed Seph leading to Cloud killing Aerith

Is it wrong to want an anime protag that gets absolutely delusional

why would you want any of this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Or, you know, Eyes on Me.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

why would you want any of this

lets just say I come from an era where youtube could make you disgusted of VII

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

lets just say I come from an era where youtube could make you disgusted of VII

The gently caress kind of time traveler are you

Go back to the future

Lavos hosed it up I get it but look you can't crash here my parents are gonna be home soon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The best-kept secret of Final Fantasy is that most of the main games are actually good and teenagers on YouTube are just whiny douchebags.

Except the remake of 3. Don't play the remake of 3.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Augus posted:

The best-kept secret of Final Fantasy is that most of the main games are actually good and teenagers on YouTube are just whiny douchebags.

Except the remake of 3. Don't play the remake of 3.
2 is also bad. I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool SaGa lover: Final Fantasy 2 is not a good game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

widespread posted:

that's like half of Final Fantasy 7 already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

Jon St. John voicing Yuffie would be funny.