Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

CJacobs posted:

I feel the opposite way in that regard to be honest, I'm probably never going to play Nuclear Throne again because I like this game that much better. The dodge roll is something Nuclear Throne seriously could use.

Everyone always forgets about Fish.

Truthfully, the dodge roll is nice and is definitely why I've consistently made it to floor 2's boss at the very least, but the guns really don't feel nearly as good and the RNG can kiss my rear end. I've had runs of NT where I've run a Grenade Launcher far longer than I should have been and gotten away with it. I'm going to agree with the sentiment that damage should be higher for all sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Also note that you can shoot chests rather than unlock them. They can drop their contents, explode, or drop Junk which you can sell to the grate demon for ~50 casings.

Personally I've been saving my keys for green and up chests and shooting brown chests. It's been working out pretty well.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I don't think shooting chests can actually give anything better than a random pickup, but it's still something compared to cursing the game for giving you 0 keys over 3 floors.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What about the "This Altar is Empty" in long rooms?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Bloody Scarf should be avoided at all costs. It basically removes your dodge roll and makes the game impossible. I ruined a great run by grabbing it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I AM BRAWW posted:

What about the "This Altar is Empty" in long rooms?

There's a item you have to get in a secret level that you can only get to through the first chamber.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Einwand posted:

I don't think shooting chests can actually give anything better than a random pickup, but it's still something compared to cursing the game for giving you 0 keys over 3 floors.
You can get the actual item, it's just extremely rare. I think I've gotten it once.

poemdexter posted:

Bloody Scarf should be avoided at all costs. It basically removes your dodge roll and makes the game impossible. I ruined a great run by grabbing it.
I think you can drop passive items if you click on them in the menu and press "drop" in the top left corner.

Edit: You have to do it from the map menu.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 7, 2016

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Of the terrible things inherited from Binding of Isaac, count less-than-useless, infact, run ruining items among them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jibo posted:

Everything, and he'll give you money for it. You just drop items and he'll drop casings.

I've even heard that you can give him barrels but I couldn't get him to take a water barrel.

I've had him give me 50 gun-bucks for the Junk you get from breaking a chest before. Love that little dude

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of altars, for the one that says "The rest is blank" -- well, you know...

Use a Blank next to it

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Einwand posted:

The dev actually talked about this on Cobalt or Richard Hammer's stream at some point - the mechanic is shooting a chest has a chance to give you an item from the next quality tier down from that chest - I think it goes brown-green-blue-red-black, but I might have green and blue reversed. So (assuming I have the order right) blowing up a green chest gives you a chance at an item, but one you could've gotten from unlock a brown chest, which can also be a pickup. Blowing up a brown chest gives you a chance at something from the "random pickups" pool instead.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wait you can drop passives!?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jsor posted:

Wait you can drop passives!?

On PS4 you hold L2 to bring up the map and then use the D-pad to cycle through passives and drop them. Idk about PC

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lakbay posted:

Holy poo poo the 120 casings + 3 keys is super RNG bullshit. I played perfectly with the Pilot floors one and two and I still ended up with only 2 keys and none of the merchants on either floor selling keys :argh:

I ended up with 117 casings and 3 keys with every room except the boss explored.

But I only had half a heart so I had to spend my casings on more HP before the boss, and I couldn't pay the elevator man.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just threw my run and sold a gun, though the grate guy being available is also rng.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I somehow just got lead god due to getting a spine ak-47 on the first floor, good lord. Now to see what THE BULLET does with the gun that kills the past. Well, that was not what I expected at all! I wonder if chain smoking cigarettes made my use item charge faster, or if it just normally charges that fast.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 7, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Benly posted:

The dev actually talked about this on Cobalt or Richard Hammer's stream at some point - the mechanic is shooting a chest has a chance to give you an item from the next quality tier down from that chest - I think it goes brown-green-blue-red-black, but I might have green and blue reversed. So (assuming I have the order right) blowing up a green chest gives you a chance at an item, but one you could've gotten from unlock a brown chest, which can also be a pickup. Blowing up a brown chest gives you a chance at something from the "random pickups" pool instead.

There's an even higher tier of chest, that I just found:

And it shat items at me:

It was my first time clearing both the second floor and third floor thanks to that chest.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shows that the game is too RNG though. You could end up with 2 wooden chests also.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, the rainbow chest is so rare that it is basically a non-issue. Just take it as a nice surprise when you actually see one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Einwand posted:

I somehow just got lead god due to getting a spine ak-47 on the first floor, good lord. Now to see what THE BULLET does with the gun that kills the past. Well, that was not what I expected at all! I wonder if chain smoking cigarettes made my use item charge faster, or if it just normally charges that fast.

smoking ups your coolness stat which gives you higher quality item drops and shorter cooldowns, yes

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

goferchan posted:

smoking ups your coolness stat which gives you higher quality item drops and shorter cooldowns, yes

What I'm not sure about is if it'd stick around for the special past fight since everything else you pick up is removed for that, but being a hidden stat it could easily have stuck around, I kind of doubt the rockets on the pilot's ship are meant to charge every second and a halfish.

Meanwhile I've found. . . a balloon. It doesn't even go in my inventory, it's just a balloon.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I am enjoying this. Those who said it's not as visceral as Nuclear Throne were right. NT throws out this amazing music right away and even its starter gun makes my bass shaker go nuts, with Gungeon seeming far more subdued. I like how it's structured, though; it's nice to have something a little more Zelda'y instead of NT's manic as hell "HERE YOU ARE HERE THEY ARE MAKE THEM DIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!" atmosphere.

It's also more co-op friendly, since Nuclear Throne is too much of a shitstorm for two people to reasonably manage together, especially if you play with screen shake on. Gungeon fungeon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nebiros posted:

Everyone always forgets about Fish.

Fish can roll, but Fish does not have invincibility frames

edit: Speaking of this game's co-op, does it do Nuclear Throne's stupid lovely thing where you have to revive your partner using your own HP in 5 seconds after they die or you both die, or is it actually good co-op where it's just 2 people playing the videogame?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 7, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found an eye gun that shoots tears with momentum ala BoI, and it's the loving worst.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Getting 5 keys and 240 currency down to floor 4 is pretty rough. Got down there once but of course the game never dropped enough keys. Promising runs being stopped dead in their tracks by that loving tank are a huge bummer as well, since there's little chance you're gonna beat him when you've hardly gotten any items, and he comes so late that it feels like a huge waste of time.

I'm not sure which character is best to go with. Since you can't really use keys or money at all, the Pilot seems appealing since he can at least open a few chests, and can get cheaper keys from the shop if absolutely necessary. But I'm finding that even with a few extra free chests, I'm not getting anywhere near enough ammo/weapons and have to resort to my sidearm most of the time, which is absolute loving trash for the Pilot. That thing just cannot hang on floor 3+ at all.

Might start giving Marine or Hunter a shot. The Marine definitely gets the best sidearm which is great when you're using it nearly the entire time, but the Hunter's aint bad either and the extra dog pickups could help keep you alive and ensure that you get enough keys.

I am REALLY not looking forward to that final floor shortcut.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Holy poo poo the 120 casings + 3 keys is super RNG bullshit. I played perfectly with the Pilot floors one and two and I still ended up with only 2 keys and none of the merchants on either floor selling keys :argh:
I actually had that and spent the casings locked down, because it didn't mention those at first - only the blanks. :suicide:

When you unlock an NPC, you can feed him junk and items for casings, so getting the keys is probably going to be the tricky part. That and finding out how you drop items on PS4.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Maaaaaaaaan, I beat the Dragun once, didn't realize you had to blow up its head to get the last bullet piece, got another successful run and then the forge lady wasn't even there! :argh:

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Zaggitz posted:

Maaaaaaaaan, I beat the Dragun once, didn't realize you had to blow up its head to get the last bullet piece, got another successful run and then the forge lady wasn't even there! :argh:

Huh, that's wierd. She's been there every run for me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Forgot to try but can you fly behind the Dragun if you've got the wax wings?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Noticing there's an achievement for beating the game in "beast mode", what on earth does it actually do though? So far nothing seems different.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so I noticed in some youtubers videos like Northerlion they have a tiny dude in a purple cloak. How do I get that guy?

Like I haven't seen a single video where anyone bothers talking to him and I feel for the lil dude. He's also in all the trailers which further confuses me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm assuming you're talking about the co-op guy, to the right of the player characters in the main hall. He shows up if you have played a couple of single player runs, as well as have at least two control methods plugged in (keyboard and a controller counts). If you talk to him, he becomes the co-op character, which is why they don't talk to him because that's all he does.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ah that's a shame. He hasn't shown up for me yet and I liked his design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do wish you could play as him in single player because he has unique equipment, but he's not selectable.

edit: Of course, what you could presumably do is enter co-op by yourself and start a run, then just let the singleplayer character die and continue on as him. I'll have to try that and see what happens.

edit again: Yup, that totally works. The only stigma is that the dead singleplayer character's ghost follows you around, haunting you with the constant reminder of what you've done.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How exactly am I supposed to do the tutorial delivery quest? I can find the secret room just fine and claim the ghost's treasures, but I have no idea how I can actually move from the tutorial area into the Gungeon proper. I just end up in the Breach and no longer have the items I'm supposed to deliver in my possession.

Spoiler: related to tutorial.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ufarn posted:

I actually had that and spent the casings locked down, because it didn't mention those at first - only the blanks. :suicide:

When you unlock an NPC, you can feed him junk and items for casings, so getting the keys is probably going to be the tricky part. That and finding out how you drop items on PS4.

Wait you can sell stuff to all NPCs and not just adorable green gutter monster?!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I had three runs in a row where I got to floor 4 but pretty much lost due to attrition as a severe lack of ammo drops left me with 6-8 weapons at roughly zero by the time I hit the fourth boss. Is there some sort of trick to getting through the later areas without burning through all your ammo that I'm missing?

On these runs I'm generally flawlessly killing 2 or 3 of the first three floors' bosses, and being fairly accurate and not over shooting as much as possible. Am I supposed to be switching constantly to my starting weapon? I try to do that when I can, but it's tedious and makes already slow runs (I'm hitting 35ish minutes at fourth boss) a real chore.

It feels like I have to luck into getting an ammo efficient weapon or a passive that gives me significantly increased efficiency, and it's honestly bumming me out. My runs are dying slow, tedious deaths where I slog through a floor reduced to the starting pistol just to face a boss I have no hope of beating with it. I feel like there could be 3 times as many ammo drops and that'd hit a spot where I'd still run out of ammo for my preferred guns but wouldn't be utterly screwed with my entire arsenal being dry.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're just getting hit by bad RNG. There's stories in the thread of a single gun carrying people through the entire game and I've had runs where I've gotten too many ammo pickups.

I can clear the first two floors with even the Pilot's pistol but I shouldn't have to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs

I made a video on how to play as the Cultist by yourself, although there aren't many steps to it. So if you do want that, here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any idea why my reticule is gone on PS4 and how I can get it back? Can’t find the setting.

Lakbay posted:

Wait you can sell stuff to all NPCs and not just adorable green gutter monster?!
Nah, just the one guy.