Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
You should be able to buy a Field skillet, probably next year sometime. The Kickstarter is just the start of their new company. Looks like they plan to offer a line of cast iron pans - they sent a survey to backers asking what other size pans we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm a bit on the fence due to the thickness of it, or rather lack thereof. I wonder if we'll see a lot of breakages or not.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The truly old cast iron pans were much thinner. Not sure if they had better steel or just spent more time machining them and weeding out the bad pans. Also the last 50-100 years have been plenty of time for flawed pans to get scrapped.

For example I was riding my motorcycle and stopped at a garage sale. They had a 12", 9", 6" and 2 tiny lodge pans for $2 each. They also had a square skillet and an unmarked thin probably chinese skillet that were both rusted for $1 each. I handed them $12 and somehow got everything to fit in my saddlebags.

Once I got home I cleaned up the lodges but the two rust buckets were earmarked for smelting lead to make bullets and sat in my garage for a few years. I decided to try using the oven to clean some other cast iron pans I bought and wanted to test it first so i grabbed the junkers out of the garage. The cleaning cycle worked perfectly. So well in fact that the thin pan that I assumed was chinese actually turned out to be a 1920s Vollrath. It had been used so much that the lettering was completely filled in and only showed up after all the seasoning came off. I had just never handled a pan from that era to realize they used to be much thinner and lighter than even a 50's wagner or griswold.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 7, 2016

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
You can get the rust off a cast iron using the ovens cleaning cycle? I'll have to try that on my moms.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bartlebee posted:

Finally salvaged my great-grandma's Griswold cast iron, which I found in my parents' pantry. It's rusted, but I figure I can rehabilitate it. Plan on seasoning it soon and see how well it works.

Pan.

Lid.

Bottom of pan.

You linked to webpages inside img tags, fyi.

But yeah it should turn out fine.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

You can get the rust off a cast iron using the ovens cleaning cycle? I'll have to try that on my moms.

You still may need to hit some spots with a wire wheel but most of the rust wipes off after a cleaning cycle.

Most people don't recommend it because it can warp or crack a pan. Most likely the pan had a flaw but avoid using an oven cleaning cycle on an heirloom pan. I also have a gas oven, I could see an electric being uneven or fast enough to cause problems so YMMV. Test it with a beater pan then work up.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
If your just removing some rust the easiest way is to let it soak in a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. An hour or two and the rust should be gone.

I emailed Lodge a link to that Kickstarter and asked if they had plans to do anything similar regarding the finish on their pans.
Thier reply

quote:

Hi my_name,

Thanks for taking time to send this and for being a Lodge fan. I’ll be sure to pass this along to our Product Development Team.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

All the Best,

-name, email and phone number removed

I guess if they they are planning on doing anything they are keeping it to themselves for now.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

coyo7e posted:

You linked to webpages inside img tags, fyi.

But yeah it should turn out fine.

Whoops. Fixed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I dug out my cast iron skillet for the first time since moving a few months ago and when I got done using it the entire bottom was bare iron on both sides. All I did was brown off some ground beef and dump some cans of tomato sauce + spices for a quick spaghetti dinner. How did I gently caress up the seasoning so bad?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 10, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

dis astranagant posted:

I dug out my cast iron skillet for the first time since moving a few months ago and when I got done using it the entire bottom was bare iron on both sides. All I did was brown off some ground beef and dump some cans of tomato sauce + spices for a quick spaghetti dinner. How did I gently caress up the seasoning so bad?

WTF? I cook shakshuka (tomato/pepper sauce simmered for an hour and a half) once a week with no problems.

Both sides? Something's not right. Can you post pictures?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

WTF? I cook shakshuka (tomato/pepper sauce simmered for an hour and a half) once a week with no problems.

Both sides? Something's not right. Can you post pictures?

I can't at the moment. I oiled it up and put it away for later repair. Maybe I let it get too hot trying to drive water off after cleaning it with salt+oil and rinsing the leftover salt off :iiam:. Wouldn't think a lovely electric range would get that hot, though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Did it have a glass top?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nope. coils.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

High enough heat can mess up seasoning. I know when I use pans I don't always oil the bottom and I do use my cast iron to sear steaks after sous vide. over time the bottoms to get stripped if you do lots of heat without oiling often. That coupled with tomatoes might be enough to strip it.

Question

I have a few pieces of griswold and lodge cast iron and I don't really need another but I had a giftcard from my wedding and picked up one of the new Lodge Heat Treated skillets. Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems very nice but I'm wondering if polishing it will mess up the rust resistance? I know some heat treatments only effect the outer layer of a metal object.

The 11" skillet was on sale for $49 instead of $70 and they had a $10 off 25 coupons so for $40 I figured It's worth trying out.

Also inspired by the goon who polished his pan I bought a harbor freight angle grinder and am going to start polishing my pan collection. I started with the old Vollrath I got at a garage sale. It was rusty and pitted to begin with but while it sat in my garage a bag of cans was set on it and some soda syrup leaked out and made a pretty decent pit that I wanted gone.

Both the Lodge heat treated and the vollrath are getting seasoned now.

Though if the Vollrath turns out nice I'll probably polish everything most of which is in my cast iron shelves, most of it is stuff I got for less than $5 at garage sales anyways.

L to R
2 Lodge Fajita pans, Griswold round griddle, Antique oval griddle, lodge reversible griddle, O'Brien & O'Brien dutch oven, Hardware store (made in USA) 13 7/16" pan

Lodge 7qt dutch oven, 2 lodge 6.5" skillets, 1 lodge 8" skillet, 1 Chinese 8" skillet, griswold 9.75" skillet, Chrome Griswold #8 Skillet, Lodge #8 Skillet, Griswold #8 Skillet, Lodge #8 Chicken Fryer, Hardware store (made in USA) square skillet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A few days ago, before work, popped my skillet on the stove on high after wiping it down and rinsing it, just to dry it all the way off...

...And left for work without turning it off.

Came home to a house full of dead smoke detectors, a very nervous dog, and a red-hot skillet.

Although I don't recommend it, as it turns out, long-term high heat is an excellent way to strip seasoning from a skillet... :v:

Really glad I didn't burn my loving house down.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

MrYenko posted:

A few days ago, before work, popped my skillet on the stove on high after wiping it down and rinsing it, just to dry it all the way off...

...And left for work without turning it off.

Came home to a house full of dead smoke detectors, a very nervous dog, and a red-hot skillet.

Although I don't recommend it, as it turns out, long-term high heat is an excellent way to strip seasoning from a skillet... :v:

Really glad I didn't burn my loving house down.

Use the clean cycle next time, you psycho. Auto-shutoff is your friend.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

i use medium heat and just set the microwave timer so i don't forget...burn less house this way

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Gorgar posted:

i use medium heat and just set the microwave timer so i don't forget...burn less house this way

When I first read this I thought you meant you put it on 50% power in the microwave and I was like :psyduck:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Oh my god poor dog. You give that dog some treats right now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought some Lodge skillets and pans yesterday. I've never really used cast iron at all! I'm aware that I shouldn't use dish soap or leave water in them for longer than it takes to clean. And boiling water to get stuck bits off?

I plan on using them for camping (not backpacking) and maybe at home if I like them enough. Would that cause a problem going from fire to stove and back? And finally, what kind of utensils are recommended? My home pans are ceramic so all my stuff is plastic but if metal is fine I'll pick some up.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cast iron is that awesome old beater truck you can hoon around in and fix pretty good with string and duct tape. Just remember to top the oil off and change it's plugs, and it will kick poo poo around forever.

This pretty much sums it up. I use metal, plastic, and rubber utensils on mine. You can even use a little soap if you feel like it, just don't scrape the poo poo out of it with soap or you'll lose your seasoning. I don't even use boiling water as much as put it under the sink right after its done cooking, the water boils itself and unsticks anything that happens to be there. Feel free to toss it into your campfire entirely, it will be fine.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Feel free to toss it into your campfire entirely, it will be fine.

Just be somewhat careful - one time we got a dutch oven glowing cherry and the lid got warped!

In a wood fire.

There was a lot of wood.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My buddy found this waffle griddle. Is this something that can be cleaned up without crazy stuff like an electrolysis bath? Haven't seen it in person but that's a lot of rust.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy found this waffle griddle. Is this something that can be cleaned up without crazy stuff like an electrolysis bath? Haven't seen it in person but that's a lot of rust.

Oven cleaner and a wire wheel.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Options to clean up neglected cast iron

1. Battery charger electrolysis
2. Vinegar soak
3. Oven cleaner and a wire wheel
4. Immerse in Boiling water (will remove most active rust and stabilize what's left, need to wire wheel whats left)
5. Oven cleaning cycle

I have used all but the electrolysis with my favorite/easiest being using an oven cleaning cycle. But don't do it on a wafflemaker like that because the handles are not cast iron and will melt. My friend tried to fire that same waffle maker in a campfire and he ruined his. It can also crack or warp pans so avoid using it on heirloom pieces.

I would try boiling water followed by a vinegar soak. Be careful if you end up having to use a wire wheel because the handles are not as sturdy as they seem.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I successfully made rice and salmon in my enameled dutch oven and some asparagus and potatoes in a brand new cast iron pan. Didn't burn myself and didn't leave either in the sink with water.

When I oil and bake the pan afterwards, should I be rubbing oil all over the pan or just the cooking surfaces? And what should I be doing, if anything, with the enameled dutch oven?

EDIT: I looked at my pan again this morning and there are some small rust spots along the curve by the bottom, on the outside :smith:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I successfully made rice and salmon in my enameled dutch oven and some asparagus and potatoes in a brand new cast iron pan. Didn't burn myself and didn't leave either in the sink with water.

When I oil and bake the pan afterwards, should I be rubbing oil all over the pan or just the cooking surfaces? And what should I be doing, if anything, with the enameled dutch oven?

EDIT: I looked at my pan again this morning and there are some small rust spots along the curve by the bottom, on the outside :smith:

You can season the whole thing, if you like a nice sheen all over the pan, but I don't bother. Just the cooking surface is enough. As far as the rust, just scrub it off with some steel wool or something and dry it thoroughly. Or gently caress it, leave it on there...it's on the outside, and not gonna harm anything you cook.

With the enameled dutch oven, just wash and dry it like any other dish. You can't season enamel.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

And be sure to remove as much excess oil as you possibly can when seasoning. Don't want it getting sticky.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't care what goons say, goons are the best. Thanks for the info.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

With enameled iron, be a little careful with how aggressively you wash. They are super resilient, but I've accidentally chipped the enamel finish inside my ditch oven before. I promise you don't want to accidentally eat that. If it does chip it's not a huge deal, though. Just be sure to clean very well and scrub to get any raised flakes off before using again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need to invest in some steel wool and scrubbers. I'm going to make some bacon tonight on the factory seasoned pan, do I need to put a little bit of oil and let it get hot before the bacon goes on, or will the bacon release enough fat itself?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Bacon will release more than enough fat, in fact you should strain it and keep it in a jar to use on other things later because bacon far is the best grease possible.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need to invest in some steel wool and scrubbers. I'm going to make some bacon tonight on the factory seasoned pan, do I need to put a little bit of oil and let it get hot before the bacon goes on, or will the bacon release enough fat itself?

Put the pan on a burner. Put the cold bacon in the pan. Turn the burner on. Since cast iron takes a while to heat up, fat from the bacon will very slowly render and provide quite enough cooking fat to fry in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My mouth says yes and my heart says nothing because it has given up.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's not actually that bad. Vinegar and steel wool should be fine, or any of the other above recommendations.

I'm so jealous. Been looking for one of those for ages.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tastes good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cook the pancakes in the bacon pan. Trust me on this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrYenko posted:

Cook the pancakes in the bacon pan. Trust me on this.

this poster speaks truth

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My girlfriend is vegetarian.

I made her vegan patties and fake bacon in the microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Crazyeyes posted:

And be sure to remove as much excess oil as you possibly can when seasoning. Don't want it getting sticky.
In addendum to this, you want to remove excess oil or it will end up leaving weird bumps and bubbles in the seasoning. I got sloppy seasoning my 6" skillet and it ended up with 1/2" blob-shaped bubbles all over it.. I had to burn it all off on my propane grill and then re-season.

McSpankWich posted:

This pretty much sums it up. I use metal, plastic, and rubber utensils on mine. You can even use a little soap if you feel like it, just don't scrape the poo poo out of it with soap or you'll lose your seasoning. I don't even use boiling water as much as put it under the sink right after its done cooking, the water boils itself and unsticks anything that happens to be there. Feel free to toss it into your campfire entirely, it will be fine.
I use a lot of wooden utensils as well in mine, they're good for scraping stuff out of the skillet once I heat up some water.

And don't toss you cast iron into the fire, it can crack or warp and it will ruin the seasoning at the least if you leave it too long. Totally safe to use camping, just make sure you've got a lid or splatter guard, to keep ashes out of the food.