Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I looked at the stat card updates and have two questions.

1. What's the purpose of corvettes? I thought it was Air to Air attacks, but the Scourge one doesn't seem to have that.
2. Are there any typos in the Dragon Battleship's statline? It looks like some numbers may have gotten transposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah those will be typos. I'll correct them next week, or this weekend if I can find a free vector graphic editor (to edit Illustrator/PDF files).

Corvettes are the only thing with air to air weapons, so they're meant to counter dropship spam, because bombers can't go in atmosphere.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Incy posted:

I am super interested in this and would go.
Sweet, if you use facebook check out the private group Dropzone Dragons, I post in there a lot but will be reposting stuff here and on Hawk forums.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

As far as I know the current show model is a double decker battle bus. Unless there is a new thing being released under cover of stealth they haven't announced.

And my insider wasn't able to pick one up before they sold out this week. If anyone else picked one or two up for resale wants to see them go to a goonhome where they'll be painted and loved and played, hit me up.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Incy posted:

I am super interested in this and would go.

If you're in the area, it's worth joining the facebook group and asking around for a game - there's quite a few of us on there, usually someone will be around to game.. and you Might actaually get to see that Rarest of events..
Flipswitch Actaully Playing A Game !

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Renfield posted:

If you're in the area, it's worth joining the facebook group and asking around for a game - there's quite a few of us on there, usually someone will be around to game.. and you Might actaually get to see that Rarest of events..

Sadly I'm not really in the area, but I regularly make trips to Firestorm to play warmachine events. I think it is difficult to justify the time for a single day event.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Renfield posted:

Played more than you in the last two weeks!!

Incy posted:

Sadly I'm not really in the area, but I regularly make trips to Firestorm to play warmachine events. I think it is difficult to justify the time for a single day event.
This means I most likely know you already. Now I am curious on other goons in the area.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I suspect if you go to wargaming events at all then you have probably met other goons and not realised it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

I suspect if you go to wargaming events at all then you have probably met other goons and not realised it.

This is very true. I know I've met you without realising it.

Grey Hunter too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

Yeah it's more of a case of who I know. :)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Loxbourne posted:

This is very true. I know I've met you without realising it.

Grey Hunter too.

I tend to go to tourneys with my Avatar on a T-shirt (part of a sort of bet with my RPG group on how long it will take for someone to recognize the croctapus. But yeah, if you've been to Invasion in the last year, you may well have met Ugleb and I.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Flipswitch, did you just post in the DZC Community group on FB? :) I've posted a bunch in there as well - pictures of the beta games and stuff like that - but only since the beta day.

Is anyone going to Salute? I just got the OK and will be stopping by the Hawk stand but I don't think there's anything I need until DFC comes out.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Flipswitch, did you just post in the DZC Community group on FB? :) I've posted a bunch in there as well - pictures of the beta games and stuff like that - but only since the beta day.

Is anyone going to Salute? I just got the OK and will be stopping by the Hawk stand but I don't think there's anything I need until DFC comes out.

Yes mate. Feel free to shoot me a friend request so I can get some visual ID and buy you a pint when you're down my neck of the woods. :cheers:

Also, how are the factions rated by AA. Don't have my book but I'm trying to gauge what is nasty and what isn't, especially for my Seraphim as I know they're heavily armoured compared to most.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 3, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I've finally heard back from one of the Hawk team, Simon has given me the blessing to share the Dropbox link for DFC: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmc06v7gx43z74n/AAAy9yjW5tiDVh9OpD00anzWa?dl=0 I can share these as long as I don't charge for them or share any rules.

I've shared it before in this thread but now I feel better about doing so :) The UCM and PHR ship stat cards have ship pictures on them, I might do a colored background but ehhh - I need to proofread for typos on the Scourge and Shaltari before adding pictures of their ships. I also made small (FFG yellow sleeve size, if you're familiar with Armada or X-Wing) cards for UCM to trial, this is mostly for me, as I appreciate a physical layout of ships in battlegroups when making a fleet. One of the small cards has the battlefleet assembly diagram to help lay out the fleet, those are the only rules that are on the cards.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

krushgroove posted:

So I've finally heard back from one of the Hawk team, Simon has given me the blessing to share the Dropbox link for DFC: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmc06v7gx43z74n/AAAy9yjW5tiDVh9OpD00anzWa?dl=0 I can share these as long as I don't charge for them or share any rules.

I've shared it before in this thread but now I feel better about doing so :) The UCM and PHR ship stat cards have ship pictures on them, I might do a colored background but ehhh - I need to proofread for typos on the Scourge and Shaltari before adding pictures of their ships. I also made small (FFG yellow sleeve size, if you're familiar with Armada or X-Wing) cards for UCM to trial, this is mostly for me, as I appreciate a physical layout of ships in battlegroups when making a fleet. One of the small cards has the battlefleet assembly diagram to help lay out the fleet, those are the only rules that are on the cards.

Are you able to share about what point values the different levels, Skrimish, Clash, Battle are?

Also this stuff is awesome.

Another question, are they really doing odd things with shaltari points making stuff 38 and 43 points? or are those typos?

Pash fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 6, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I hope the Beijing's got a typo in the stat line, otherwise it seems seriously undergunned for a battleship. It's outgunned by UCM heavy cruisers!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Are you able to share about what point values the different levels, Skrimish, Clash, Battle are?
Off the top of my head, they are roughly 750, 1000 and 1500, but I could be wrong. I haven't played much DZC but it seems they want to keep things in the same points ranges.

Also this stuff is awesome.
Thanks! I'm planning to make more, just need a bit more time at work.

Another question, are they really doing odd things with shaltari points making stuff 38 and 43 points? or are those typos?
Nope, that's part of the complexity of Shaltari...

Loxbourne posted:

I hope the Beijing's got a typo in the stat line, otherwise it seems seriously undergunned for a battleship. It's outgunned by UCM heavy cruisers!
Ha, yeah that is actually wrong, the first 3 lines should be 4/4/6, good catch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Off the top of my head, they are roughly 750, 1000 and 1500, but I could be wrong. I haven't played much DZC but it seems they want to keep things in the same points ranges.

Are those min or max? In DZC it's 500-999 for Skirmish, 1000-1999 (usually 1500) for Clash, and 2000-3000 (usually 2500) for Battle.

EDIT: While reading through the first DZC book, it notes that the Scourge sometimes use energy shields for large vehicles. Is that a thing that got dropped, or will there be an option to put energy shields on command vehicles and such in Reconquest Phase 2?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

EDIT: While reading through the first DZC book, it notes that the Scourge sometimes use energy shields for large vehicles. Is that a thing that got dropped, or will there be an option to put energy shields on command vehicles and such in Reconquest Phase 2?

I think it got dropped, or at least hasn't appeared yet. I guess it may have started out as being a thing but ended up as the skimmer bonus?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's a throwaway line in the UCM technology section of the core book that says active countermeasures on heavy UCM vehicles are energy shields too. I'm guessing the setting just moved away from that as time went on.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Loxbourne posted:

There's a throwaway line in the UCM technology section of the core book that says active countermeasures on heavy UCM vehicles are energy shields too. I'm guessing the setting just moved away from that as time went on.

I think it just explains how active countermeasures work. You can't just strap explosives on your vehicles all the time.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ERA'd up Sabres would look very loving cool though. Speaking of which, I've started running 6 Sabres to go back to using them over just my Katanas and I'm finding that they're way better the more you get of them, especially with being able to shoot over each other. Am I the only one to find this? I'm trying to figure the best way to support Sabres and I'm thinking Longbows and smoking them, basically like Gladius bricks.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

A brick of Sabres is a decent plan IMO. Unless you do what Grey and I did in our early games and just ram a heavy dropship full of sabres into a heavy dropship full of Hunters.

It was the least subtle game ever but stuff did explode.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That was our first 1500 point game I think. It was not one for tactical subtlety.

I'm looking forward trying an overseer boosting a brick of nine hunters.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

A brick of Sabres is a decent plan IMO. Unless you do what Grey and I did in our early games and just ram a heavy dropship full of sabres into a heavy dropship full of Hunters.

It was the least subtle game ever but stuff did explode.
yeah I'm tempted to try it, I don't own an Albatross though so I'll be packing 6 Rapiers and 6 Sabres into 4 Condors. They won't all be in the same formation but I kinda like the idea of ramming that much armour down someones throat.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

One of the Admirals for Dropfleet posted another battlereport. He is super down on the strength of PHR broadsides and thinks that Scourge close action stuff is broken good right now. Any other admirals here have any thoughts on this?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yah, he's on the DZC FB group and we're in a FB chat group together. He is VERY down on the power of PHR but I think he's overselling it a bit. He's disappointed that it's not easy to broadside opponents with both sides of a PHR ship without getting blasted, which...you just won't be able to do that very often in a battle. Also, his opponent is a Scourge player so I'm not sure if that's skewing his view too much. My Admiral friend is a PHR player and I'm a UCM player, and I think the PHR bombers are really strong (which he agrees with) and the ships are too...but I'm not a great player so I will think that.

All of the feedback goes to Hawk Simon though, and they keep track of win/loss ratios at the beta days, so I'm confident things will be tweaked appropriately. The FB chat group is actually pretty decent if you take a step away from it and ignore the details a bit, with some (supposedly) pretty good players, and the proposals coming out of it seem to be decent, like dropping a particular rule here or there or increasing points for certain ships.

Coming from a 40K setting the amount of feedback they're taking in is phenomenal, just the fact they're doing closed beta testing is fabulous, and no one complains about the DZC rules, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Yah, he's on the DZC FB group and we're in a FB chat group together. He is VERY down on the power of PHR but I think he's overselling it a bit. He's disappointed that it's not easy to broadside opponents with both sides of a PHR ship without getting blasted, which...you just won't be able to do that very often in a battle. Also, his opponent is a Scourge player so I'm not sure if that's skewing his view too much. My Admiral friend is a PHR player and I'm a UCM player, and I think the PHR bombers are really strong (which he agrees with) and the ships are too...but I'm not a great player so I will think that.

All of the feedback goes to Hawk Simon though, and they keep track of win/loss ratios at the beta days, so I'm confident things will be tweaked appropriately. The FB chat group is actually pretty decent if you take a step away from it and ignore the details a bit, with some (supposedly) pretty good players, and the proposals coming out of it seem to be decent, like dropping a particular rule here or there or increasing points for certain ships.

Coming from a 40K setting the amount of feedback they're taking in is phenomenal, just the fact they're doing closed beta testing is fabulous, and no one complains about the DZC rules, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Ya, I'm not concerned, it was just that he spent like 15 minutes of his 30 minute battle report complaining about the Broadsides and the scourge close action. He knows carriers are good for PHR, he just seems to want other options. I'm not entirely sure yet looking at stuff what the optimal fleet building strategies will be on whether to go combined arms or try to spam what you are good at.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I recently went all in on Eldar in 40K because of their crazy D weapons, plus I've spent years with lame duck armies, but I don't want DFC to be a 'spam what you're good at' game. I'm hoping the Battlegroup setup rules and other things come into play to make a combination of things work for every faction.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm hoping the Battlegroup setup rules and other things come into play to make a combination of things work for every faction.

Make sure you mention that to Hawk, I think most of us want that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I'm hoping the Battlegroup setup rules and other things come into play to make a combination of things work for every faction.

Ya, I hope for this two. Right now looking at the PHR it looks like to be competitive they should just spam carriers and maybe torpedos and ignore most of the rest of their shooting. The others I see as having more flexible options currently and I can see multiple builds being good, PHR is my concern currently.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So does the idea of phr packing more firepower per ship between their broadsides just not carry onto the field then?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
PHR broadsides roll lots of dice, but their to-hit numbers are markedly higher than UCM or Scourge ones.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

PHR broadsides roll lots of dice, but their to-hit numbers are markedly higher than UCM or Scourge ones.

I thought Calibre was supposed to give them a bonus against a specific type of target.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

I thought Calibre was supposed to give them a bonus against a specific type of target.

It makes a big difference if you can get the matchup right. They do feel a *little* weak if you are forced to go for only one side (or the front guns) against a target they don't have Caliber against.
Man, the fact that they can take one or two more hits before rolling on the crit table is HUGE though.

I'd say the worse thing is that PHR have a small ship that has a bombardment cannon. It feels really weak because there are 40K levels of rolling involved to see if you injured a single tank, and the odds of the ship doing anything is small.
But hey, that's why it is in beta!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like Hawk will always have one thing that has entirely too much rolling. In DZC, it's CQB (and falling masonry to a lesser extent) but in DFC it's bombardment it seems.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I would be quite happy if they halved the number of dice used in CQB but lowered the target numbers.

How does calibre work then?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

I would be quite happy if they halved the number of dice used in CQB but lowered the target numbers.

How does calibre work then?

From what I have gathered watching a couple battle reports Light Calibre gun improve your to hit number by 1 vs small ships (frigates and corvettes) and heavy calibre improve your to hit against large ships (heavy crusiers, battle cruisers, and battleships). I dont think medium calibre actually do anything special.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of the groups pan out to have the whole Eldar super mobile glass cannon thing going on? I covered my bases by grabbing all four factions, but without beta access I don't have a good idea for how any of them play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Valatar posted:

Do any of the groups pan out to have the whole Eldar super mobile glass cannon thing going on? I covered my bases by grabbing all four factions, but without beta access I don't have a good idea for how any of them play.

I'm not sure if its Scourge or Shaltari. Scourge get up close via stealth then melt face. Shaltari get their gate shenanigans with infantry deployment and are/were going to be brittle ships with those long range ion(?) cannons that cause major spikes when fired. The twist being that Shaltari also get their shields up mechanic which is meant to dramatically boost their durability when active.