Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You could limit manual control just for your character, or maybe royal heir too. It would make mercs absolutely essential if your land simply cannot provide heavy cav or other types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, from what I've heard skinks were perhaps the most cost-effective unit in the game, especially against high-cost, low-quantity armies like Brets and Ogres.

Skinks were a pain in the arse in 6th and 7th because they were a Fantasy unit that operated like a 40K unit and had poisoned weapons that gave their low-strength blowpipes a chance to insta-kill anyone. Not great against horde armies like Greenskins or Skaven, but yea, elite armies like Brets and Ogres were in for a rough time.

Of course, just to prove we can't have nice things, some players started using nothing but Skinks, which was OP as gently caress and very un-fun to play against.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Lizardmen and Empire have been my main armies since the start of 6th edition. Skinks were great skirmishers, cheap, good movement (especially in 6th edition), poisoned ranged attacks (but with low range), and were godly destroying other skirmishers and any high-toughness low-armor units. Were kinda ok against brets until the Brettonian RAF came along though, loving pegasus knights, I loving hated them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYlmb3gip8&feature=youtu.be

Empire vs Chaos Warriors battle

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hellhammer is literally a huge cock that ejaculates flame. Maybe I will play as Chaos Warriors after all.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That was probably the coolest battle they've done yet. Lots of awesome late game poo poo.

I've said it before, but one of the things Chaos has going for them vs the Huns is that they just look like they're more fun to fight. Instead of annoying as gently caress HA spam forever it's just crushing melee supremacy, dark magic, and fear. Bring your best poo poo and try to hold the line against the forces of darkness, ect.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Loved the hellcannon but the Chaos Dwarf crew looked a little off, hopefully there's more than "shirtless short-beard with a strap-on headspike". The battle was awesome and it looks like the AI will seriously punish you for bad play.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Hellhammer is literally a huge cock that ejaculates flame. Maybe I will play as Chaos Warriors after all.

And it's manned by some gloriously Mesopotamian Chaos Dwarfs. :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Triskelli posted:

Loved the hellcannon but the Chaos Dwarf crew looked a little off, hopefully there's more than "shirtless short-beard with a strap-on headspike". The battle was awesome and it looks like the AI will seriously punish you for bad play.

What were you expecting sir, silly hats? Sorry, no magnificient hat wearing dwarfs for you on release, but of course, fancy mesopotamian head gear will be a cosmetic upgrade, probably in the 15 bucks range. (Would buy it, though).

Great battle, by the way, I approve the number of spikes and skulls.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Triskelli posted:

All the chaos dwarfs looked identical, unlike all of the other chaos units who had a nice variety. Chaos Dwarfs could have been incomplete when this build ran, or maybe they're keeping them simple looking. I hope it's the first one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Chaos units look good but lol at half the chaos infantry chasing the dude's demigryphs around the map.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah it's less "where are my goofy hats" and more "wow didn't know chaos dwarfs had sets of 2 dozen identical twins that all have the same stylist". The few Chaos Dwarf models put out by GW or Forge World haven't done the big hats for everyone for a while now but there was still variation (and don't look much like the dwarfs we saw):

(I still want the goofy hats though)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why would anyone want Chaos Dorfs WITHOUT silly hats.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Why would anyone want Chaos Dorfs WITHOUT silly hats.

If they include the tall silly hats on the hellcannon crew, I want some of them to have periscopes built in, with a firing animation that has the periscope open and swivel around a bit to help with rangefinding. Ideally this should not be announced or acknowledged at all.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Chaos army had no daemons. Will TW Warhammer have daemons?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Phi230 posted:

The Chaos army had no daemons. Will TW Warhammer have daemons?

Warriors of Chaos and Daemons of Chaos are separate armies. So eventually there'll be daemons, maybe even some at release, but not playable in the Warriors of Chaos DLC.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kaza42 posted:

If they include the tall silly hats on the hellcannon crew, I want some of them to have periscopes built in, with a firing animation that has the periscope open and swivel around a bit to help with rangefinding. Ideally this should not be announced or acknowledged at all.

It would be pretty rad, but the funny thing is that the Hellcannon is alive and fires on his own (and also kicks rear end in melee), the chorf handlers are there to prod it with pointy sticks and make it behave a bit, would be hilarious that if the chorfs die, the hellcannon goes on a rampage, like in tabletop.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lassitude posted:

Warriors of Chaos and Daemons of Chaos are separate armies. So eventually there'll be daemons, maybe even some at release, but not playable in the Warriors of Chaos DLC.

I don't really care if they're playable but no TW game can exist without daemons.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Considering the amount of stuff in the game already I'd be fine with no daemons on start.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phi230 posted:

I don't really care if they're playable but no TW game can exist without daemons.

I too fondly remember all the Daemons in Shogun 2.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ZearothK posted:

I'm hungover you know what I meant

plus how badass would it have been to fight daemons in shogun 2 though

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ZearothK posted:

You mean the portuguese?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Yes, as do I

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

peer posted:

You mean the portuguese?

so I already bought the daemons of chaos expansion with the otomo pack?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So TW is releasing with DX12 and they seem to be taking their time to get a working release. Meanwhile the Gears remake and Quantum Break have been released broken, Rise of the Tomb Raider still doesn't have finished DX12, Hitman's janky prerelease, so that leaves one of five DX 12 games that released in good shape (Ashes of the Singularity).

If Total Warhammer is one of the very few DX12 launches that works well on release, I will never stop laughing. (also, it's DX 12, I have to recommend against buying any NV cards on the market for the game if anyone's thinking about buying a card for this game).

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Never heard a bad thing w/r/t NVidia cards and DX12, can you be more specific? Coz a GTX 970 is looking mighty tempting from where I'm sitting (no I don't want an R9, let's not turn this into an AMD-NVidia slapfight).

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Apparently it's more about Windows 10 loving up drivers (as usual almost). Sure AMD has headstart on DX12 but Nvidia will get there.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Holy poo poo, someone actually used magic!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Apparently it's more about Windows 10 loving up drivers (as usual almost). Sure AMD has headstart on DX12 but Nvidia will get there.

Is AMD having better drivers than Nvidia the result of AMD (ATI) products being used in the XBOX One? Because for a very long time, if you wanted stability in Windows & DirectX you used Nvidia. TBH I haven't followed video card details in a long time so I have no clue when that change would have happened.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

Holy poo poo, someone actually used magic!

And he still lost.. :negative:

Chaos seems really hard to fight against as Empire, either that or this guy brough the wrong units in.

Or hes just plain bad.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vlex posted:

Never heard a bad thing w/r/t NVidia cards and DX12, can you be more specific? Coz a GTX 970 is looking mighty tempting from where I'm sitting (no I don't want an R9, let's not turn this into an AMD-NVidia slapfight).

NVidia's current cards don't gain from DX12 except in minimum framerates. It works, but the end effect is stuff like the 980 Ti beating the 390X by 3.6% and the 970 beating the 380X by 10% in Ashes on high. The details about the Pascal card they've talked about look a lot more like GCN, so there's a chance you won't be overpaying by 50% if you simply must go with NV.

Murgos posted:

Is AMD having better drivers than Nvidia the result of AMD (ATI) products being used in the XBOX One? Because for a very long time, if you wanted stability in Windows & DirectX you used Nvidia. TBH I haven't followed video card details in a long time so I have no clue when that change would have happened.

It's less drivers and more that they basically built DX12 around their architecture, and it both exposes useful capabilities that get a bunch of performance and avoids the worst problems AMD had in DX11 games (NV put a lot of work into some things that let them reduce CPU load). Overall DX12 is fantastic and well worth it, but it benefits AMD more and the first few releases have had a few games where some cards needed more work to perform right.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 7, 2016

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Gejnor posted:

Chaos seems really hard to fight against as Empire, either that or this guy brough the wrong units in.

Or hes just plain bad.

It looked like chaos had tons of endgame units. I assume Chosen are their elite infantry/cav and they had multiple units of them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bogarts posted:

It looked like chaos had tons of endgame units. I assume Chosen are their elite infantry/cav and they had multiple units of them.

Yeah, it looked like a brutal mismatch in the line units, and he wasn't able to leverage his arty.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gejnor posted:

Or hes just plain bad.

It seemed like a combination of A) A hard fight, it's a custom battle so I presume the units you get are set and B) Doing a good job of actually showing off what's going on hampers good micro.

That and he had some bad luck with spellcasting in general. Multiple vortexes loving off into the wild blue yonder rather than contributing much.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Surprised by how bland Chaos seemed, hopefully with Marks and such you won't have generic spiky grimdark armor men. I want my Nurgle drat it.

Re: cardchat I'm really not seeing a massive downside from going with a GTX 970 since I'm on a budget.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Most of it seems like bad micro, really. He had shock cavalry sitting in the open, letting Chaos Knights charge in without counter charging. He had huge gaps between units letting Chaos Hounds through to destroy his artillery unopposed. He dedicated two units of Demigryph Knights to hunt down the hellcannons, when one (or even one of the regular knights) would have been enough. He also missed a perfect opportunity to let off a Comet of Cassandora or other AoE attack while a huge chunk of the Chaos army was trapped in the Net. And he also didn't notice that his volley guns weren't even manned for most of the battle. Archaon charged through his lines and chased down a wizard by himself, and he didn't react until the rest of the Chaos army had caught up, despite having Karl Franz on Deathclaw nearby. So once again, the requirement to show off units, battles and flashy effects rather than just fighting the battle has caused it to go worse for the human than it should have.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bogarts posted:

True, it was mentioned to me that they probably stacked the chaos army with more elite units to make them look really scary in this video.

Which they did! Im kinda dreading facing them ingame now if im Empire.

But with our faith in Sigmar.. we'll.. We'll see to the end of it! *Straightens pompous hat, fluffs breeches*

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 7, 2016

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I love when people say that a Crusader Kings and Total War merger game would be awesome. It would be poo poo. Crusader Kings only works as a game because you have very little control over the combat beyond who/what you send into it. Adding Total War style battles to a traditional Paradox game would absolutely destroy any and all reasonable pace of progression.

Naw dawg. You just only generate TW style battles for your specific CK character. All battles (even in your faction ) commanded by allies would work as normal for CK. You'd probably end up playing even fewer battles than in the usual TW game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That Empire army was clearly lacking in Warrior-Priests. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Naw dawg. You just only generate TW style battles for your specific CK character. All battles (even in your faction ) commanded by allies would work as normal for CK. You'd probably end up playing even fewer battles than in the usual TW game.

Yeah, you know what, this actually sounds cool if it kept true to CK's vision of only playing as a specific character at any time.

• Locked thread