Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

I was gonna post something to the effect of "countdown to people complaining about women in Star Wars stars now" but I was hoping I was just being too cynical

"Women Using the Force: Hollywood's Diversity Quotas and the Disappearing Male Movie Hero"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TG-Chrono posted:

My only misgiving is a seeming lack of a star war.
Beach Wars Rogue One?

Hopefully they're just still busy finishing the VFX work on a giant X-wing skirmish

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TG-Chrono posted:

My only misgiving is a seeming lack of a star war.
Beach Wars Rogue One?

I feel that Star Wars by now has little bearing on the actual plotlines of the movies and more with the backdrop.

The basis of the whole thing is after all the Galactic Civil War, so there's your Star War.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also is that our first tropical island set.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The shot near the end with the AT-ATs bearing down is incredible. It gives a much better (than in Empire) sense of how effective a terror weapon they would be for the ants running around on the ground.

I haven't been as fanatical about the making of this movie, is that our first look at Mendelson in costume? I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

the common rumor for Whitaker is bounty hunter.

Sounds like he's a quasi-Yoda/Obi-Wan in the teaser. But it's a tiny snippet of dialogue so who knows.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

euphronius posted:

Also is that our first tropical island set.

I'm curious if they'll do like VII, and bring in some entirely new planets, or if they'll namedrop some old ones.

We haven't seen the Kuat Drive Yards in a movie, I think?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

Who is the actor? That's not Mads, is it?

Yeah Ben Mendelsohn who was always rumoured to play Tarkin, but with a white uniform might not be anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6fifC3qSE
Edit: Now these two in the clip have both been in star wars movies (other was Young Owen)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

"Women Using the Force: Hollywood's Diversity Quotas and the Disappearing Male Movie Hero"

You're so distressingly right that it hurts...when are people going to learn that half the world's population are women?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So timeline

This movie comes out at Christmas

Then it gets released on video next April

Then we immediately get a teaser for Episode 8

Never

Ending

Star

Wars

:banjo:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

So timeline

Never

Ending

Star

Wars

This is something I am 100% on board with

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The shot near the end with the AT-ATs bearing down is incredible. It gives a much better (than in Empire) sense of how effective a terror weapon they would be for the ants running around on the ground.

I haven't been as fanatical about the making of this movie, is that our first look at Mendelson in costume? I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does.

Sounds like he's a quasi-Yoda/Obi-Wan in the teaser. But it's a tiny snippet of dialogue so who knows.

There are no Jedi in the movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://forceforchange.starwars.com/show-your-force/

Also Hamill is hilarious in this clip.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

jivjov posted:

This is something I am 100% on board with

Yep. Star Wars every 12-24 months from now until the heat death of the universe.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I liked the wipe fake out of the ship in front of the deathstar. I guess this isnt going to be edited like a normal star wars movie then.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He's just as charming and awesome as I'd wish him to be.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

euphronius posted:

There are no Jedi in the movie.

Right, that's why I used "quasi".

apparently but not really; being partly or almost

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rogue one hero is a FEMALE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Right, that's why I used "quasi".

apparently but not really; being partly or almost

Oh I thought you meant a mix of the two

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

The rogue one hero is a FEMALE

I do wonder how much spotlight the rest of the team is gonna get. Is she the lead with a bunch of secondaries, or are they aiming for a true ensemble here?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gonz posted:

Yep. Star Wars every 12-24 months from now until the heat death of the universe.

I'm glad of it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

hhhat posted:

So timeline

Never

Ending

Star

Wars

Plus there's the possibility of whatever that live action show is gonna be finally materialising.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

i'm glad they're finally making a movie based on dark forces

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not interested in being dragged to Star Wars 40 by my grandkids but I will watch the good ones.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They could not have picked a more obnoxious alarm sound during half that trailer. And it just kept going!

I finally saw the Star Wars. It was really fun though the ending kind of felt... abrupt? to me even for a movie that's obviously meant to be part of a trilogy. Like I dunno the entire last act of the movie was good but never felt that exciting (except the fight in the snow). Also I felt like I had no reason to care about BB-8's original owner whose name I forgot

Anyway, my main point is that the best part of the movie was BB-8 gasping at Finn

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Immediately after this scene those other Stormtroopers open fire and he ignites his light saber, burning away the wooden shaft built above the handle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Couldn't believe bb8 was a loving puppet.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Missed that shot of whoever-that-person-in-a-seemingly-black-cloak was kneeling in front of whatever-the-hell-that-was with two of the emperor's guards.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This is me, waiting for the subway everyday. Totally how I look like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gareth Edwards is good at this movie thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

They could not have picked a more obnoxious alarm sound during half that trailer. And it just kept going!

That's the Imperial alarm klaxon though. what else would they use?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

It is the death star alarm, it is 'iconic' for the franchise.

Abner Assington posted:

Missed that shot of whoever-that-person-in-a-seemingly-black-cloak was kneeling in front of whatever-the-hell-that-was with two of the emperor's guards.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I love the slight-70s feel in that trailer. The hair and makeup in particular seem to have that feel to them, like I'm watching a big budget British Sci-Fi.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

GONK!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

jivjov posted:

That's the Imperial alarm klaxon though. what else would they use?

drunkill posted:

It is the death star alarm, it is 'iconic' for the franchise.

Okay. It's still an annoying sound to be playing for half the trailer

The trailer looked good otherwise

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The image on the display behind him is similar to, if not the same as, one of the images on the targeting or tactical display in ANH.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The image on the display behind him is similar to, if not the same as, one of the images on the targeting or tactical display in ANH.

I find it very reassuring that they don't forget the primtive computing visuals of the OT and just stuff these new films with hologram computer screens a la Prometheus.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonk Droid Then

Gonk Droid Now

Gonk Droid Forever

• Locked thread