Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
So, one of the sport seats i bought for my 540i has a problem. Its the drivers seat bottom. When it gets to about the bottom 1/3rd of its range, the right side stops but the left side keeps going. So when its all the way down, its about 3 inches lower than the other side. It also makes some noise when going up and down, kind of a sometimes grind and feels like its skipping a tooth. I thought it might be the cable issue that causes the seat back twist problem, so today i pulled seat to fix the cables. I did the two cables coming from the front two motors, and it diddnt help.
I cant find much about repairing the gear box, has anyone run into this issue? If i pull the seat out again, can i re position just one side of the seat by hand? Im hoping that if i just lower the one side so it matches the other at its lowest spot, itll stay lined up. Im going to give it another try tomorrow morning..

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm in the process of an unexpected move and need to make room in the garage. I sold my 545i a couple years ago but traded it in with my snow tires and wheels so I still have the stock sport pack wheels and tires. Worked great when I took them off the car, they've just been tucked away in the garage until now.

Standard sport pack wheels:
18 x 8.0 front
18 x 9.0 rear

Tire sizes:
245/40R-18 front
275/35R-18 rear

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

$400 shipped in the continental US
If you're local to the Denver area or care to pick them up we can work out a deal.

Pictures:

Large version of all pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/7iWDl/all

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

hedgegnome posted:

So, one of the sport seats i bought for my 540i has a problem. Its the drivers seat bottom. When it gets to about the bottom 1/3rd of its range, the right side stops but the left side keeps going. So when its all the way down, its about 3 inches lower than the other side. It also makes some noise when going up and down, kind of a sometimes grind and feels like its skipping a tooth. I thought it might be the cable issue that causes the seat back twist problem, so today i pulled seat to fix the cables. I did the two cables coming from the front two motors, and it diddnt help.
I cant find much about repairing the gear box, has anyone run into this issue? If i pull the seat out again, can i re position just one side of the seat by hand? Im hoping that if i just lower the one side so it matches the other at its lowest spot, itll stay lined up. Im going to give it another try tomorrow morning..

Use some quarters to prop up the other side.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CornHolio posted:

That price for an automatic? Thanks but no thanks.

I have an irrational love for estoril cabriolets.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
Gents... I'm finally in a position to emulate my Dad and by a lovely old BMW. I'm really after some quick advice on whether buying from the bottom end of the second hand market (20 years old approx, 100k on the clock at least) is a risk worth taking for some BMW stylings.

I can see a few mid nineties models (either 3 or 5 series) in my price range (£1000-£1500) but my gut tells me that's just throwing money away as I'll be looking at big bills come the next service. But then the boy part of me tells me to just do it and have fun for 9 months before it falls apart.

So something like this or this.

The second car for instance hasn't been taxed in two years. So that makes me suspicious... so at a glance are these models and more importantly at this price just a waste, the sort BMW owners would cross themselves at?

edit: I should add I don't have any mechanical knowledge to fix any common fault these would develop.

frowning fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

frowning posted:

edit: I should add I don't have any mechanical knowledge to fix any common fault these would develop.
A cheap BMW is not something that will likely leave you with happy feelings.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I blew a tire on my ZHP, running Federal 595s at maybe 70-80% tread left.

Should I just replace the one rear tire, or both rears or ??

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think tire rack offers shaving if you can wait the tire to arrive

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

I blew a tire on my ZHP, running Federal 595s at maybe 70-80% tread left.

Should I just replace the one rear tire, or both rears or ??

Are you running a staggered setup, or square? If all your wheels are the same size, consider swapping the fronts and rears and then you could choose to replace the one.

IMO on the drive wheels, I'd replace both.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ran across This beautiful machine in my E46 search.

:circlefap:

I want it

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

A cheap BMW is not something that will likely leave you with happy feelings.

I learned how to do somewhat major service like timing belt replace and all the other poo poo on the front of the engine on a $1000 e30

Go for it, you'll learn lots

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My thought is you need four things for old-clunker-fun to be rewarding: maintenance venue, (tool) budget, time, motivation. If you have all four of these things, old BMW ownership is a fun ride. If you're missing one, you're in trouble. Missing two, buy a Toyota.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I want it

Holy gently caress.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

fknlo posted:

I want it

E36 M3s are what all the rich foreign students had when I was a college student. Maybe that's why I have such a soft spot for them. Such a great looking automobile.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
23k into an actual e46m3 would still be a better car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Don't care, that thing is looks really well done and hot as gently caress

e: and the prices for clean E36's have been going up as well.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Are you running a staggered setup, or square? If all your wheels are the same size, consider swapping the fronts and rears and then you could choose to replace the one.

IMO on the drive wheels, I'd replace both.

Stock staggered - 8.5 in back and 8 in front, IIRC.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
That E36 answers the question: "How can I spend the greatest possible amount of money upgrading an E46." It's the Brewster's Millions of E46s.

Edit: gently caress u i edited

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 7, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
E36*

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

I want it

Holy gently caress. Do it! That's less than half of what you were looking to spend and it would be a complete riot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fknlo posted:

I want it

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:

A similar one popped up a while ago that was track prepped (cage, suspension, fire suppression, etc), Dad and I seriously considered it. I drew the short straw so he flew out and test drove it. Said it was stupid fast but the build quality was lacking especially for the price.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Jonny 290 posted:

My thought is you need four things for old-clunker-fun to be rewarding: maintenance venue, (tool) budget, time, motivation. If you have all four of these things, old BMW ownership is a fun ride. If you're missing one, you're in trouble. Missing two, buy a Toyota.

Thanks for the advice. Not talked out of it yet.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

but the build quality was lacking especially for the price.

This would obviously be my main concern on something like that, especially since I'd have to do the fly out and look thing too. Just going off that list of stuff from the ad it seems like there was good thought and planning involved, so that alone puts it ahead of at least 85% of cars modified in that fashion. I'm still rock hard mildly interested after a night of sleep so I'm gonna shoot the guy a message and hope he has pictures of the build and stuff. I briefly googled a bit last night to see if I could find a build thread anywhere but didn't come across one. Didn't exactly dig very deep though. Everything looks clean enough in pictures and I've always wanted to visit San Francisco anyway :v:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 7, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

fknlo posted:

I want it

Jesus, its perfect.

BraveUlysses posted:

Shut your whore mouth.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Second this. As an e36 owner.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

'07 E90 335i w/ 94k miles and HPFP recall done.

Do I buy it and sell my '03 E39 530i w/ 87k miles?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
No. Non-facelifted e90s are ugly

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

No. Non-facelifted e90s are ugly

This.

Is it weird that I miss my 2004 330Ci way more than my 2009 328i Xdrive? I keep checking Autotrader and there are so few facelifted e46 coupes out there :smith:

http://goo.gl/fI3yvP :fap:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 8, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's a $1500 85 eta coupe for sale in town, it's auto and kind of beat but I'm still tempted

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Less than a month left on my CPO. :eek:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo. Glad you squeaked that one in under the wire.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Found my periodic short-trip coolant loss (ounce a day or so). the overflow nipple on the radiator is a loose enough fit that it stays loose on short trips, but expands to seal on long crosstown commutes.

BMW: Designed By SR-71 Engineers

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Well played. I got an axle and wheel bearing replaced with about 60 days left on mine, but you crushed that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Found my periodic short-trip coolant loss (ounce a day or so). the overflow nipple on the radiator is a loose enough fit that it stays loose on short trips, but expands to seal on long crosstown commutes.

Glorious aviation nerdery.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Is the in-lined "Jesus" a reflection of the tech's name, or someone's astonishment about the repair?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Has anyone ever had experience with an E24? They seem to be in a sweet spot price-wise for a sporty coupe of that vintage.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Jonny 290 posted:

:vince:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's an 02 330 near me with 25k miles but it's a coupe, red on tan, and they're asking 14,8. I've never driven an E46 so I might go look.

I'm also looking at an E30 touring tomorrow as a potential fun (but not supremely safe) family car.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 9, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Well played. I got an axle and wheel bearing replaced with about 60 days left on mine, but you crushed that.

The auto-dimming rearview mirror on my 2004 M3 was mine. $1200 for the mirror alone when they start leaking magnet-juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

blk posted:

There's an 02 330 near me with 25k miles but it's a coupe, red on tan, and they're asking 14,8. I've never driven an E46 so I might go look.

I'm also looking at an E30 touring tomorrow as a potential fun (but not supremely safe) family car.

I've owned an E30 318is, an E46 330Ci, and an E90 328i. The E30 and the E46 were just about a tossup in the fun to drive category, but in every other category the E46 was better. It had the nicest interior of the 3 by a mile. I regret selling it daily even though it would be 12 years old now. Somewhere along the line I got stupid and went to law school and bought a house. Now I drive a Chevy Cruze. Don't be like me kids. Stay out of school.