Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"No Jedi" does not seem "safe". I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will forgive a prequel set during the OT time period for looking like the OT

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
you guys are right its probably gonna suck

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Improviser posted:

This looks pretty cool actually. My biggest concern about this is watching a Star Wars movie without a John Williams score. That just seems wrong. Even with another composer incorporating William's themes into the score.

If it helps, the composer, Alexandre Desplat, has some experience taking over a series started by John Williams. He scored the final two Harry Potter movies. (And a bunch of other great scores, we'll be fine.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

It's a visual medium.

jivjov posted:

The movie taking place immediately before the OT looks like the OT. Shocker

Is my post somehow difficult? I said that the problem is that it seems to only exist to resemble OT. That is to say, it has nothing going on for it except a familiar aesthetic.

"More Star Wars" is not enough of a justification for a movie. Making Star Wars movie just for the sake of "more Star Wars" is how you get garbage. It's how you get the Expanded Universe. And this movie is by all accounts just a cinematic counterpart to the Expanded Universe.

e: Just ask yourself, what is there to the trailer except "more Star Wars"? When you strip that out, there's little left. If it wasn't for the brand, it would be laughed out as a rehash of Hunger Games.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is my post somehow difficult? I said that the problem is that it seems to only exist to resemble OT. That is to say, it has nothing going on for it except a familiar aesthetic.

"More Star Wars" is not enough of a justification for a movie. Making Star Wars movie just for the sake of "more Star Wars" is how you get garbage. It's how you get the Expanded Universe. And this movie is by all accounts just a cinematic counterpart to the Expanded Universe.

e: Just ask yourself, what is there to the trailer except "more Star Wars"? When you strip that out, there's little left.

You are perfectly free not to view it. But some people want more Star Wars.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rogue One looks just as dumb and bad as TFA.

I'm a rebel. I rebel :hurr:. Great dialogue! And it's also :grimdark: like every dumb millennial movie now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah if you take the setting out of a sci fi fantasy movie what are you left with.

Good point op.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
That shot of the Death Star superlaser dish shadow mimicking a classic Star Wars screen wipe is really good.

BigglesSWE posted:

I think one can make the argument that they're playing it very safe so far, just like TFA did.

I rather liked TFA alot though, so I don't really see this as a problem.

They are playing it safe, but at least the OT aesthetic is justifiable this time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Yeah if you take the setting out of a sci fi fantasy movie what are you left with.

Good point op.

A setting is just a device used to tell a story. A setting only matters for the story it's used to tell. Every competent storyteller understands that.

The story of Rogue One seems supremely uninteresting outside of a recycled aesthetic.

jivjov posted:

You are perfectly free not to view it. But some people want more Star Wars.

What do you have against discussion?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm a rebel. I rebel :hurr:. Great dialogue! And it's also :grimdark: like every dumb millennial movie now.

You're gonna have to point me at the grimdark. I didn't see it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BigglesSWE posted:

That's a good Mon Mothma lookalike they got as well.

Same actress who played her in RotS too. She's not on the cutting floor this time though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e: Just ask yourself, what is there to the trailer except "more Star Wars"? When you strip that out, there's little left.

You're relapsing BotL. It's a teaser trailer to a film which might well yet have some artistic merit and is being directed by one of the best new directors in Hollywood, it's way too early to be freaking out about EU degenera

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes the next Star Wars movie should had been set on modern day earth. It's all about the Story.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Between the samurai guy whacking stormtroopers with a wooden katana, the surprisingly drab aesthetic, corny lines that nobody would say in real life, and extremely forced dialogue delivery, this doesn't look so good to me. Looks and sounds like a late Hunger Games film with stormtroopers and AT-ATs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

You're gonna have to point me at the grimdark. I didn't see it

Pretty much everything Forest Whitaker says

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

euphronius posted:

Yes the next Star Wars movie should had been set on modern day earth. It's all about the Story.

Directed by Wes Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJ6AmplD8g

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a way better cinematic eye in those shots as compared to Hunger games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Toilet Mouth posted:

I don't feel strongly about the trailer one way or another, but this looks really dumb.

Ginette Reno posted:

I bet you two are huge shitheads in real life who hate fun things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

multijoe posted:

You're relapsing BotL. It's a teaser trailer to a film which might well yet have some artistic merit and is being directed by one of the best new directors in Hollywood, freaking it's way too early to be freaking out about EU degeneracy.

You may be correct, but how many blockbuster franchises stay worthwhile eight movies in?

euphronius posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

teagone posted:

I bet you two are huge shitheads in real life who hate fun things.

Why does not liking a teaser trailer make them bad people?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You may be correct, but how many franchises stay worthwhile eight movies in?

Well, Star Wars managed 7 so far.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hopefully there's a scene where a rebel team sans Jedi runs into Vader and get annihilated.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Improviser posted:

This looks pretty cool actually. My biggest concern about this is watching a Star Wars movie without a John Williams score. That just seems wrong. Even with another composer incorporating William's themes into the score.

Well, TFA's score was pretty underwhelming for the most part despite being by John Williams. Probably a combination of Abrams' inability to integrate it into the film as effectively as he could have, the fact that a freelance orchestra was used this time instead of the London Symphony Orchestra, and the fact that Williams himself didn't conduct most of the recordings.

Captain Splendid posted:

Same actress who played her in RotS too. She's not on the cutting floor this time though.

I didn't realize that. That's really cool.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Splendid posted:

That's actually nice.

jivjov posted:

Well, Star Wars managed 7 so far.

TFA isn't actually worthwhile, it only exists for the sake of the brand.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 7, 2016

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Why does not liking a teaser trailer make them bad people?

Because it's Star Wars. I loving love Star Wars.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hopefully there's a scene where a rebel team sans Jedi runs into Vader and get annihilated.

I'd imagine every rebel team would be sans a Jedi.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Leaked photo of Mads Mikkelsen's character, in costume:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
See, I get not being interested in new Star Wars movies, but those are some really good looking shots. Puts TFA to shame, easily.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There is no competition and it's all really good. TFA isn't "put to shame". Jesus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vintersorg posted:

There is no competition and it's all really good. TFA isn't "put to shame". Jesus.

Way to overreact to a simple comparison, dude.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFA isn't actually worthwhile, it only exists for the sake of the brand.

And any other sequel doesn't?

TFA was perfectly worthwhile as a Star Wars film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Way to overreact to a simple comparison, dude.

Overreaction to a hyperbolic statement seems natural to me :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

A good sequel adds something new instead of just recycling things. The prequels managed to add to the story while still being radically different.

It's kind of ridiculous to see nerds celebrating "never ending star wars". I have no doubt that the movies will stay consistently "entertaining" - but consistent is also another word for boring. These movies will all make 700 million to multiple billion dollars, they'll get rated Fresh on Rottentomatoes, people will enjoy them. The formula has been perfected with the MCU. But the flipside of this is that there will be nothing interesting, risky, or controversial. You'll know exactly what you get going in, and that's it.

We will have the exact same reactions when Episode VIII trailer drops.

People who just want "more Star Wars" will be pleased because anything different is scary.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What teagone said.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Look at this visual story telling. Look at it and be amazed.

and at the end

A character arc in 3 frames as told by Lines.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jivjov posted:

TFA was perfectly worthwhile as a Star Wars film.

I don' t think Lucas greenlit ESB primarily just to make money. He took a lot of huge risks with it, both creatively and financially.

Regardless of what you think of it, I think it is hard to argue that TFA was not driven almost overwhelmingly by a profit motive. That doesn't mean it didn't turn out well, but it is what it is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

This is me reading this thread

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

People who just want "more Star Wars" will be pleased because anything different is scary.

Did you like Man of Steel? I loved Man of Steel, and I thought Batman v Superman was ok. I am also looking forward to an onslaught of Star Wars movies every year.

GonSmithe posted:

This is me reading this thread

Haha, I was gonna say that's Mark Hamill looking at all the people who didn't like the trailer or don't like TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Of course. It's Star Wars. Outside of the first one, they were all made with the intention to make bank. It even bothered Lucas when he was making Episode 1. Didn't make the film any less creative. Which is a comment I took issue with last night.

Empire Strikes Back was abosolutely made to make more money and toys. They just decided to add risky elements to it. And that's why it's good.

• Locked thread