Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Look at this visual story telling. Look at it and be amazed.

and at the end

A character arc in 3 frames as told by Lines.

It's beautiful. It'd be cool if SMG drew lines over the actual lines to further embellish the genius on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Improviser posted:

My biggest concern about this is watching a Star Wars movie without a John Williams score. That just seems wrong. Even with another composer incorporating William's themes into the score.

well he's about 90 years old and not immortal (yet) so probably time to make peace with it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't think a Star Wars movie starring Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, and Mads Mikkelsen based on three lines of dialogue from the original film is particularly "low-risk", but what do I know? :shrug:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I bet you two are huge shitheads in real life who hate fun things.

I bet you are one of those people who says turn off your brain you'll enjoy it while some lovely writer beats me over the head with bad dialogue and lovely pacing.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Say hello to Rey's mom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

Look at this visual story telling. Look at it and be amazed.

and at the end

A character arc in 3 frames as told by Lines.

Oooh, that's good stuff

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Empire Strikes Back was abosolutely made to make more money and toys. They just decided to add risky elements to it. And that's why it's good.

Of course that was a part of it. If you don't make a profit you don't get to make more movies, and that wouldn't make any director happy.

But I truly believe Lucas mostly just did what he would have done anyway, even if there was no money on the line. I think would be ludicrous to say the same thing for the Disney Corporation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ginette Reno posted:

I bet you are one of those people who says turn off your brain you'll enjoy it while some lovely writer beats me over the head with bad dialogue and lovely pacing.

Even worse. He writes lovely clickbait articles.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

drunkill posted:

It is the death star alarm, it is 'iconic' for the franchise.

This baffles me. Not Vader, for sure.

So, Palpatine going to Snoke?

Snoke going to Palpatine?

Starkiller being recanonized? Brought before the Emperor?

Inquisitor? Secret Sith Apprentice?

:psyboom:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think a Star Wars movie starring Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, and Mads Mikkelsen based on three lines of dialogue from the original film is particularly "low-risk", but what do I know? :shrug:

drat, yeah, you're right. I hope Disney don't lose their shirts on this thing. Are people even still interested in Star Wars anymore?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Of course. It's Star Wars. Outside of the first one, they were all made with the intention to make bank. It even bothered Lucas when he was making Episode 1. Didn't make the film any less creative. Which is a comment I took issue with last night.

Empire Strikes Back was abosolutely made to make more money and toys. They just decided to add risky elements to it. And that's why it's good.

I mean all entertainment is made to make bank, and the easiest way to make lots and lots of monies is to make a legitimately good movie. Any Star Wars movie will kill it on the toy market automatically so I don't know if you need to cram poo poo in there just because you think it would help toy sales.

But yeah ESB owns because it takes risks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just listen to your heart and enjoy the Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Wrong. You confirmed my shithead theory though.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Even worse. He writes lovely clickbait articles.

Max CPM, baybay.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This baffles me. Not Vader, for sure.

So, Palpatine going to Snoke?

Snoke going to Palpatine?

Starkiller being recanonized? Brought before the Emperor?

Inquisitor? Secret Sith Apprentice?

:psyboom:

He's pretty clearly consulting Zordon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Although, if you don't like Star Wars, that's cool too.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
This is why we cant have nice things.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/07/people-are-loving-that-the-rogue-one-teaser-trailer-passed-the-bechdel-test-5801833/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

drat, yeah, you're right. I hope Disney don't lose their shirts on this thing. Are people even still interested in Star Wars anymore?

:jerkbag:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems like a dull dystopian movie for millenials whose idea of oppression is police checkpoints and hacks who will write about how revolutionary its FEMALE PROTAGONIST is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Millennial cinema is cool and appeals to me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I have aproximately zero issues with this movie if it happens to be Beschdel-test approved. gently caress me amirite?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The more a trailer or movie upsets insufferably miserable nerds on this forum the more I think Im going to enjoy it.

Your hate fuels my enjoyment. Keep at it. I think I get this "dark side" thing.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah but going out of your way to say, SEE, LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND INCLUSIVE WE ARE! Kind of ruins it, instead of letting it be what it is, they have to harp on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

...so?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah but going out of your way to say, SEE, LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND INCLUSIVE WE ARE! Kind of ruins it, instead of letting it be what it is, they have to harp on it.

where do you see any of that in the trailer?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Not in the trailer, in that betcdhel test or whatever its called link I linked when I linked it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

"Oh hey that was a cool teaser, wonder what people on the internet think"

:shrek:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MrBigglesworth posted:

Except it's other people commenting on it? Disney didn't put out a press release or something about how awesome they are for having passed the Bechdel Test, it's people on the internet who are tired of major media not passing such a simple metric.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Imagine being mad that a movie features a woman, or even multiple women

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MrBigglesworth posted:

The only one doing that, I guess, is the article you linked, not the trailer. And frankly I don't see what's such a big deal about it??

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

you're right. it was really jarring how Disney and LucasArts promoted the trailer as passing the Bechdel test even before I saw it. like what the gently caress guys? social justice bullshit......

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrBigglesworth posted:

The "we" in that sentence (the filmmakers) aren't being self-congratulatory, though -- it's other people who are making the point that the franchise is making progress this way.

Perhaps if it weren't so relatively rare, it would cease to be a point of discussion.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

Well, Star Wars managed 7 so far.

Eight if you include the Holiday Special :v:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I guess one could ask oneself:

If the test didn't exist, and there was no mention of said circumstances in the trailer, would you still find the trailer obnoxious?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
let me tell you all how Both Sides Are Equally Wrong on gender politics!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

Not in the trailer, in that betcdhel test or whatever its called link I linked when I linked it.

Why did you say "we" then? The writer of the article didn't make the movie

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Rouge One: A Star Wars Story

126 minutes of Mon Monthma teaching cosmetology.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Looks like we got in trouble again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gorgolflox posted:

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story

126 minutes of Mon Monthma teaching cosmetology.

I'd unironically be down with this. Mon Mothma :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Your, we, and they, who are these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

alg posted:

Your, we, and they, who are these people.

Them!!

• Locked thread