Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, that was some bullshit. Hard to say if the missing last words mean it's a fakeout or if they just want to save the reveal of them more another emotional punch down the line. I'm hoping for fakeout, if only because I like how Laurel has come along as a character and I think the show is better with her on it.

yeah, they spend three years building Laurel up as a character and have her go through several arcs only for her to die. Like, there's still untapped potential for Green Arrow/Black Canary stories. Super dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There have been several rumors of Black Canary showing up in the Justice League film. So I'm just going to assume that this was a corporate mandate because of how terribly done it was.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I highly doubt this is corporate mandate for two reasons.

1. If it was corporate mandate, then Flash wouldn't be getting renewed for season 3 (which is already confirmed.)

2. Guggenheim said in an interview that when they wrote the graveyard scene at the start of the season, they didn't yet decide who was in the grave. They basically looked at the options and thought "who would be the most shocking" and picked Laurel. And I'll give them this - everyone was thinking it'd be Lance or Diggle as the most logical choices. Clearly we had too much faith in the writing!

Anyway the whole embargo stuff doesn't happen much anymore with some exceptions. Don't give the writers excuses, they hosed up.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

lotus circle posted:

2. Guggenheim said in an interview that when they wrote the graveyard scene at the start of the season, they didn't yet decide who was in the grave.

Which is an obscenely dumb way to write a show, god drat.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

lotus circle posted:

*-And yes I know the way they did it left room to make it fake, but Oliver would have to be the absolute biggest douchebag alive to traumatize his friends and make Lance experience losing one of his daughters for the third time.
This 100% guarantees it's a fake out.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
They spent three seasons building up to having a Black Canary character and instead of doing anything at all with her they killed her off.

I mean, when you get 17 episodes into the season you probably realize that since you haven't involved a character in any plots or character development that you're likely not ever going to get around to it, but one would expect the writers to plan a season competently enough so as not to waste a legacy character and main cast member.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Slamhound posted:

This 100% guarantees it's a fake out.

If there's one thing you can count on, its that Oliver will always rise to the occasion when you need a new measure of just how much of an rear end in a top hat someone can be.

Still, either way this is hosed. Either they killed Laurel and wasted the character, or they're faking it and the grave scene is completely loving pointless. Either way its stupid because you have one romantic interest literally saying gently caress it and telling the main character that Olicity is the one true way and he should totally go for it and that is, supposedly, her dying words. At least the dying words the viewers get to see.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
What the gently caress was this poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

There have been several rumors of Black Canary showing up in the Justice League film. So I'm just going to assume that this was a corporate mandate because of how terribly done it was.

Nah, because she's showing up in the Flash.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The best part is that, at the end of season when it's revealed to be a long con by Laurel and Ollie, there won't be anybody left to find out because this was some nuclear level grade A bullshit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
jesus gently caress that was the worst argh seriously I'm mad on the internet. They were so close to unfucking everything and then welp.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The thread title needs changing because it's completely false at this point.

E: Katie Cassidy is tweeting about leaving arrow, so I think that officially confirms that it isn't a fakeout.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 7, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BurritoJustice posted:

The thread title needs changing because it's completely false at this point.

E: Katie Cassidy is tweeting about leaving arrow, so I think that officially confirms that it isn't a fakeout.

Great, we're done here. RIP Arrow, you were a show with an incredible cast and the shittiest writers on the planet.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Baronash posted:

Which is an obscenely dumb way to write a show, god drat.

All shows make poo poo up as they go along though. Like in Breaking Bad season 5 they hadn't even conceived of Uncle Jack when they showed the flash forward with the gun.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Arrow Season 4 - Definitely bett-GODDAMMIT

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 7, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I remember Bleeding Cool reporting las t week that Laurel was being retired from the show because she got into conflict with Amell (and they claim that was the same reason Colton left the show)

I thought it was just bullshit but now I don't know anymore :smith:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm pretty sure it's real. See spoilers for links that confirm and a picture.

http://tvline.com/2016/04/06/katie-cassidy-leaves-arrow-laurel-death-season-4-interview/

http://tvline.com/2016/04/06/arrow-katie-cassidy-leaving-laurel-dies-grave-season-4/

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 7, 2016

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm kinda fine with the death, even if they chose pretty much the worst person on the show to get the axe.

What gets under my skin is how stupid the episode was overall in addition to the schmaltz. Like, I'm fine with it being dumb. The plot with Evil Diggle made no sense and the team's complete lack of reaction to Merlyn working for Dark made no sense, but whatever Arrow Van is pretty freaking cool and they chased down ninjas chasing down army guys. That is fun. Why are there ninjas still? Whatever.

I started trying to summarize the rest of the stupid poo poo that happened but gently caress that. You saw it, it was dumb. The show doesn't earn its dramatic bullshit. That is what I get hung up on.

And the cut away is just incompetence.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Literally dies endorsing Olicity as her final words. How in the gently caress.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Remember when Arrow was the good superhero show and Agents of Shield was a joke?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

boy that was a pretty rad episode

...and then the last ten minutes happened

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I remember Bleeding Cool reporting las t week that Laurel was being retired from the show because she got into conflict with Amell (and they claim that was the same reason Colton left the show)

I thought it was just bullshit but now I don't know anymore :smith:

didn't colton leave because he made it big on some really popular show and didn't really feel like extending his fulfilled contract as a b-lister on this show

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been waiting for this day for some time.

Buy laurel, take your Edward Scissorhands costume with you.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I bet she faked her death and also left the show. Classic Arrow.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Maybe her last request was for Ollie to fake her death so she can go to Cisco's show.

After all, that was the only show that made her seem happy.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Brother Entropy posted:

didn't colton leave because he made it big on some really popular show and didn't really feel like extending his fulfilled contract as a b-lister on this show

He was going to guest on his old show, Teen Wolf, and had been cast in the film San Andreas. HE's also insinuated anxiety had something to do with it. "I've quit jobs because of anxiety, flaked on social events, family gatherings, birthdays, important movie/work tests," he shared. "Its a serious problem."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Her last words were probably "Promise me, Never give up on Felicity."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is this the first time watching TV for some of you?

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm pretty sure it's real. See spoilers for links that confirm and a picture.

http://tvline.com/2016/04/06/katie-cassidy-leaves-arrow-laurel-death-season-4-interview/

http://tvline.com/2016/04/06/arrow-katie-cassidy-leaving-laurel-dies-grave-season-4/

If they were faking it, they would still do that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You people spent over a year wishing Laurel would get killed off because you hated her dorito face. You got what you all deserved.

But seriously, a character was written off in a TV show. Get over it, it happens all the time and it doesn't magically make a show bad. How did you people ever manage to watch Joss Whedon's stuff?

Killing a character off can help a show move forward and stay fresh. It lets new cast members come in without the show getting clunky from having too many characters. Just the other day people here were complaining that there were too many superheroes on the show now.

Edit: and if it turns out her death was faked, then it's just a fun plot twist in keeping with comic book tradition.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
You know what's gonna make this even "better"? When we find out that Ollie didn't fake her death, but actually killed her in the end.

Laurel knew that she was gonna go to jail for her vigilantism, and since she was a person of the law she could never bring herself to lie under oath when she inevitably was asked to tell who the rest of the team members were, or whether her father was involved, or any other bullshit you wanna throw on the plate. So, in her last moments of heroic-ism, she asked Ollie to do the ol' air bubble in the IV trick so it would never come to that and the team could continue to "save the city".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joss Whedon hasn't had a TV show people have actually watched in 12 years, odds are that most people didn't see them and that you are old.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Joss Whedon hasn't had a TV show people have actually watched in 12 years, odds are that most people didn't see them and that you are old.

I find it hard to believe that any significant proportion of people who would be fans of a fantasy/scifi/superhero show like arrow wouldn't have also seen buffy and angel, if not when it first aired, then at some point since.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

The Lord Bude posted:

Killing a character off can help a show move forward and stay fresh. It lets new cast members come in without the show getting clunky from having too many characters. Just the other day people here were complaining that there were too many superheroes on the show now.

Edit: and if it turns out her death was faked, then it's just a fun plot twist in keeping with comic book tradition.
If you're going to kill a character off, I expect some genuinely good build-up to it and for that character to have some semblance of an arc in the season beforehand.

Laurel stopped being relevant this season after Sara left for LOT after being revived. After that point she became mainly a background character, while Oliver and Felicity soaked up all the screen time. And only on the episode that she dies does the story rush around to bring her up and say how awesome she is, which made it so obvious what was going to happen. She said "one last time" like it was a hammer slamming down on a nail with how blunt they made it that she would die.

In addition, Guggenheim said he didn't even plan on who would be dying when the season began. That is the worst kind of hack-job writing. If you plan on killing off a core cast member since the series began, as well as a character who has a long history with Green Arrow (whether or not you want them together, you can't deny this much), you pay attention to that character and give them some drat dignity when they get killed. Laurel didn't even get to die sacrificing herself to protect others, she got chumped by magic and then stabbed with an arrow.

And like others here have said, the damage is done whether it's fake or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's leaving to train with Nyssa so she can come back and beat him into the ground.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

lotus circle posted:

Laurel stopped being relevant this season after Sara left for LOT after being revived. After that point she became mainly a background character, while Oliver and Felicity soaked up all the screen time. And only on the episode that she dies does the story rush around to bring her up and say how awesome she is, which made it so obvious what was going to happen.

You could see it coming, with the benefit of spoilers, for the past few episodes. Look at how she had become the mature voice of reason for Ollie to lean on.

quote:

In addition, Guggenheim said he didn't even plan on who would be dying when the season began. That is the worst kind of hack-job writing.
And like others here have said, the damage is done whether it's fake or not.

Graham Yost had no idea who Drew Thompson was when they started writing season 4 of Justified. Last night I read a quote from John Landgraf, the head of FX advocating that shows deliberately write themselves into corners. It's very typical for tv writers to tease something before they have any idea how to resolve it.

That being said, I don't disagree that killing her was a tragically dumb idea. Though the thought occurs to me that Laurel had to "die" to protect her father from Dahrk.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

To be honest, I would have been 90% on board with Laurel's death if it had been Malcolm who ended her.

Give her one last fight for glory and let Merlyn skewer her in front of the team, as a way for the writers to set up Malcolm as the end-game villain (there's no way that Season 5 doesn't come full circle with Malcolm being the main villain once again)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BurritoJustice posted:

Remember when ... Agents of Shield was a joke?

You say this like anything has changed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Baronash posted:

You say this like anything has changed.

you say this like someone who hasn't watched shield since the middle of season 1

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I'm ok with this death if they bring back Sara as Black Canary, but jesus way to make Laurel look horribly bad.

'You were always my one true love.' Yeah, the one true love that SLEPT AROUND ON YOU FROM THE BEGINNING OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP, INCLUDING RUNNING OFF WITH YOUR loving (LITERALLY) SISTER AND GETTING HER KILLED AND FATHERING A CHILD ON ANOTHER WOMAN HE BARELY KNEW ALL WHILE EITHER DATING OR ENGAGED TO YOU.

I mean holy poo poo seriously?

And the whole cutaway whisper scene at the end, Ollie gave me some magic coma-inducing herbs. Maybe she's permanently moving to Flash, I don't know. She and Cisco had fun.

Or maybe this is all a grade-A fakeout, given we do have a superhero who can travel back in time and change poo poo that stops by for a visit twice a season and has already engaged in fate-changing time fuckery.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I fully expect Legends of Tomorrow to erase various aspects of both seasons, including this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Klungar posted:

I fully expect Legends of Tomorrow to erase various aspects of both seasons, including this.

If they bring Laurel back as an LoT regular I am down as gently caress. gently caress the haters, Laurel had the best multi-season story arc, has easily become a badass heroine in her own right, and is way too good a character to languish on a show that apparently hates the gently caress out of Ollie's love interests.

• Locked thread