Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Inspector_666 posted:

Box marked FRAGILE, computer wrapped in bubble tape.

If we weren't getting this computer back just to pull and shred the HD/scrap the rest, I would probably be pretty mad right about now.

Let me tell you about my time working at FedEx and how lucky you are this doesn't happen to everything.

skooma512 posted:

Fragile just means "kick it harder"

My favorite was "place foot here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

I've lost track of the number of times we've taken a system to a trade show and when we started it up, this happened. Cue a mad scramble with IT to get some kind of hacky workaround in place. I think they usually just end up removing the system from the domain.

It's a clusterfuck. It's been almost three years now and the GPO is still in place.

You can grant specific named accounts (including machine local ones) log on as service rights while restricting all others within the same GPO, so that sounds like someone is being dumb.

The quickest way to deal with this is to change the accounts password on the local machine, then update the password in services.msc. That will grant the log on as service right to the account until the next reboot (or whenever computer gpo's are next applied). Annoying but quick and easy to document.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 6, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone should ship an accelerometer with a data logger in a box with "handle haphazardly" and "smash at every opportunity" written all over it, and compare that to another box with "fragile" and "handle with care" written on it. Then maybe a third box with nothing at all on it.

Then do it a few dozen times to establish patterns, and post the results for the internet to be amused at.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a clusterfuck. It's been almost three years now and the GPO is still in place.

Item-level targeting: exclude XYZ group?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

xzzy posted:

Someone should ship an accelerometer with a data logger in a box with "handle haphazardly" and "smash at every opportunity" written all over it, and compare that to another box with "fragile" and "handle with care" written on it. Then maybe a third box with nothing at all on it.

Then do it a few dozen times to establish patterns, and post the results for the internet to be amused at.

Someone please do this, for science.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

xzzy posted:

Have to do it with multiple major couriers, to contrast and compare.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Skandranon posted:

Have to do it with multiple major couriers, to contrast and compare.

At the very least most things went through FedEx for priority shipping years ago. There were bags full of ups parcels and usps parcels we'd move alongside everything with a FedEx label on it. Can't say if that's still the case since this was about 15 years ago.

At a guess it was probably only on long distance priority parcels as this wasn't a ground hub and the ground crates always seemed to be filled with FedEx only stuff.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 7, 2016

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Our technical writer/director of engineering just hosed up a trade show so bad that the CEO is even chewing him out.

Here's a hint fellas: If you are going to a trade show, don't grab the latest build of a untested version of your software, throw it on your demo units, and then fly 2,000 miles across the country with no backups, no older versions, and no laptops.

ESPECIALLY don't call me trying to complain that the code isn't fully functional, and insinuate that it's my fault, and you really REALLY don't want to try that in front of two other engineers who also will call you a dumbass to your face when they learn that you put a untested version on our software from the development server on tradeshow equipment.

God drat son.

Edit*

Even better yet, I asked him if he needed the laptop and if he was sure I didn't need to go (both in email form.) I was not aware he had grabbed a random nightly from the Dev server.

At the company I used to work for, the CTO would get a dev build right before flying out to the trade show an update with it. That always made demoing the software far more interesting then it needs to be.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

At the company I used to work for, the CTO would get a dev build right before flying out to the trade show an update with it. That always made demoing the software far more interesting then it needs to be.

I locked this guy out of the dev server. I don't think he will have the balls to complain to me.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I locked this guy out of the dev server. I don't think he will have the balls to complain to me.

Sadly locking the CTO out of the dev server wasn't an option. I just always made sure to bring a long a copy of the last stable release, and the last unstable release that QA felt was only slightly problematic.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

Sadly locking the CTO out of the dev server wasn't an option. I just always made sure to bring a long a copy of the last stable release, and the last unstable release that QA felt was only slightly problematic.

I uploaded a stable version to drop box and then sent them a link. But still, that guy is going to get passed over for the promotion to director of engineering because of this. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

I uploaded a stable version to drop box and then sent them a link. But still, that guy is going to get passed over for the promotion to director of engineering because of this. :v:

We call those CLMs where I work. Career Limiting Moves. You either gently caress up enough, or have a personality toxic enough to be stuck forever in your current position. Not quite bad enough to fire, but bad enough that it's better for everyone involved if your responsibilities don't change.

We had a guy who was decent enough skill wise for his current position, but had an inflated sense of worth and a poo poo personality, especially to anyone outside of the group. He was constantly deflecting and blaming outside forces for any issues he couldn't solve. But the problem wasn't him (according to him), he was elite skilled, security h4x0r despite having almost zero experience outside of being an expert on a very specific IPS product. However, he went to all the conferences, and totally knows his stuff reading forum posts, he even has his own "honeypot set up at home that captures Chinese hackers all the time".

Needless to say, he was passed over for a position he wanted (it went to a person who was qualified and had actual experience), so he took his toys and went home. He found a similar position to the one he wanted at another company. Well, apparently he managed to "personality" his way out of a job, since that position he filled was re-posted as open to LinkedIn two weeks later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reminds me of a new hire we had years ago, actually was pretty intelligent but after he was hired he started acting like god's gift to our department. The last straw was when he got into a spat with our boss and predicted "in six months I'm going to have your job."

He was gone the next day. :shrug:

Though to be fair, my boss in that period was a colossal turd and probably deserved some sass. But still you just don't say that when you haven't even collected a paycheck yet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The problem is, this guy would have come out of this just fine if he didn't try to CYA so hard and blame everybody but himself. What's so hard about saying: "Yeah, I hosed up, sorry about that." ? This isn't high school, take responsibility for your own actions! People make mistakes, I understand that, the department understands that, the CEO understands that!

Hell, I took down the entire engineering network for two whole days on accident once, but poo poo happens. I admitted fault, fixed it, and got THANKED for it when I was done.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

The problem is, this guy would have come out of this just fine if he didn't try to CYA so hard and blame everybody but himself. What's so hard about saying: "Yeah, I hosed up, sorry about that." ? This isn't high school, take responsibility for your own actions! People make mistakes, I understand that, the department understands that, the CEO understands that!

Hell, I took down the entire engineering network for two whole days on accident once, but poo poo happens. I admitted fault, fixed it, and got THANKED for it when I was done.

That's the adult thing to do, and it's awesome.

I made a mistake in our MS licensing that would have cost us an extra $5000, so I poked my head into the boss' office and told him about it. A week later I was going over the licensing with our LAR, and they told me they wouldn't hold me to the mistake. That earned me a pat on the back from the boss, and a "good work!".

Taking responsibility works.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

My group mentors new guys and people looking to move up the chain. The hardest lessons to get to sink are:

It's OK to admit you don't know something.
Let people know when you make a mistake.
ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT.
It's OK to fail at something. Just don't hide it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
If you have Outlook+Sharepoint and you upload a profile pic to Sharepoint, it will display that pic next to your emails on your colleague's Outlook.

If you replace that photo, it will update the photo displayed on Outlook.

However, if you were to remove that photo so you have an empty profile pic, it will not update your colleague's computers and the last photo will remain visible.

This is important if, say, last week you were demonstrating to a colleague how to add profile pics and you did this by adding a humorous, but not work-appropriate, avatar to your account and then deleting it at the end of the 3 minute demonstration. Even though your profile is now blank, a week later, your big boss may want to ask you why he has a picture of Calvin pissing displayed against all your emails and perhaps lead into a discussion on professionalism.,

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why is it that nobody at this company can be even 2 minutes early for a meeting? They are so lax about being on time. just waltz on in 5 minutes after

It's so rude to the other party. It's also rude to the people who get there on time because you're just cutting say 5 minutes out of a 30 minute calls. a-holes

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Why is it that nobody at this company can be even 2 minutes early for a meeting? They are so lax about being on time. just waltz on in 5 minutes after

It's so rude to the other party. It's also rude to the people who get there on time because you're just cutting say 5 minutes out of a 30 minute calls. a-holes

Start the meeting on time.
If their input is needed for a decision, just make the decision without their input or what you think they'll likely say (whichever is more hilarious)
When they show up and start asking questions, say "We already covered that earlier. We don't have enough time to catch you up. You have to show up on time."

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

Ask me about my favorite project manager who cancels conference calls five minutes after they're scheduled to start :v:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

DigitalMocking posted:

Consider EVPL to basically be a virtual network cable. Everything you would do across a network cable, you do across the EVPL connection. Its an extended layer 2 network port, anything that happens on one end, happens on the other. This is kinda 'bad' for a few reasons in networking, bad is that you're now broadcasting traffic across a WAN connection, broadcast traffic can get chatty and it doesn't respond well to high-latency situations, so you wind up losing expensive WAN bandwidth with a bunch of useless broadcast traffic.

What bandwidth and what's the expected latency of your EVPL connection? Is this a close office or something farther away?

DHCP is a layer 2 protocol, so if you want to use DHCP from your main office across the EVPL you have to 802.1q tag the vlans across to your main office so the windows box can answer DHCP like it currently does. But this goes back to the "kinda bad" explanation from earlier. You can mitigate this by instead using the Procurve at the far end as a Layer 3 device and have all of the routing go through it, then just add a DHCP helper address so only DHCP requests are sent across the EVPL connection instead of every chatty rear end layer 2 protocol out there.

You could mitigate some of the broadcast traffic across the EVPL link by setting up a DHCP helper and using your satellite switch as the router. It looks like that's what you want to do, correct? For example, everything in vlan 10 will get 10.30.2.1 as their gateway?

edit: scratch a lot of this poo poo, you already have a DHCP helper set up.

Just add port one to vlan 150 untagged in the satellite switch, add whatever port in your core to the other side of the EVPL circuit the same way, set the core to use 10.150.1.1, set the default route on the satellite switch to 10.150.1.1 and add routes in the core pointing to 10.30.2.0/24, 10.20.33.0/24 and 10.20.2.0/24 to 10.150.1.2

The DHCP helper should work just fine.

You can test this right now but plugging your satellite switch into your core and simulating the EVPL circuit, since that's what it does, acts like a really LOOOOOOONG network cable.

Physcially the location is across the street, level3 says the connection speed is a gigabit.

So I have port 1 on the branch office switch set to untagged vlan 150, and I have an interface on the router at HQ configured similarly.

End to end it looks like: VLAN150 10.150.1.1/30 <-> VLAN 150 10.150.1.2/30

On the branch switch I have a route that is set as 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.150.1.1, and routes on the HQ router pointing back to the networks at the branch office.

Here's a dump of the config as it stands. I changed the VLAN IDs to match the VLANs at the HQ site. At this time I am unable to ping 10.150.1.1 from the switch or a laptop connected to VLAN 4 on the switch.

hostname "7050-SW01"
module 1 type j9729a
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.150.1.1
ip routing
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
snmp-server contact "your sweet mother"
oobm
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no untagged 1-48
untagged A1-A2,B1-B2
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 4
name "Utility-7050"
untagged 2-7
ip address 10.20.2.2 255.255.255.0
exit
vlan 6
name "PCs-7050"
untagged 8-48
ip address 10.30.2.2 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.20.1.19
exit
vlan 7
name "VoIP-7050"
tagged 8-48
ip address 10.20.33.2 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.20.32.36
voice
exit
vlan 150
name "EVPL"
untagged 1
ip address 10.150.1.2 255.255.255.252
exit
no tftp server
no autorun
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
password manager

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flosofl posted:

Start the meeting on time.
If their input is needed for a decision, just make the decision without their input or what you think they'll likely say (whichever is more hilarious)
When they show up and start asking questions, say "We already covered that earlier. We don't have enough time to catch you up. You have to show up on time."

"Ask me how I got fired"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Re meetings: If you can make the decision without someone's expertise or buy-in, why were they invited in the first place?

Flipped around: If you need someone's support or expertise, isn't that the whole point of the meeting in the first place? What was the point of the meeting if you don't re-run everything because The Guy was late?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
We've taken over hosting and development of <client>'s family of websites, but the domains are still controlled by their previous developers. Even with an account with the same domain provider and transferring ownership of the domains internally from one account to another, the only way I can control DNS records is by 'suspending delegated hosting' which erases all current DNS entries. I spoke directly to their support to be told there's not other way. Every DNS record has to be erased and recreated manually, regardless of whether they are changing or not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: I've been forwarding complaints about lack of payments to a consultant group to purchasing and eventually CFO after I kept getting them after 2 weeks. I've explained that they sold time not a solution before we hired the consultant to make the modifications to our ERP software. I've reminded them of this. Thinking it should only take 2 hours, 6 at most, and not expressing beforehand, does not mean the job will only cost that much. iThe job was easily 40 hours of an experienced DBAs time is something we are supposed to just understand.

"It's not about the money its about standing behind your work and giving the product you are selling." Okay that's nice but I signed off that he was VPNed in during the hours and the work was satisfactory please just pay the man. It's been 3 months and got a final warning just now. We have 24 hours or they are going to forward the bill to legal. It's a small bill please drop your "pride" or whatever this is and just pay the man.

Seriously never work hourly for my company unless you get in writing the amount of expected hours and what you will do during the hours. Better yet just sell a solution for a price. They treat me like I'm some kind of wizard though, they give me money and comp time if I need to stay late. But anyone outside the company is out to get us!

follow up edit: CFO listened to reason and is going to just pay the requested amount. Took way too much prodding to just get the bill paid. No it really wasn't my place, but we don't have a legal department and this would probably cause layoffs / eat my server budget to pay for.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 7, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

Re meetings: If you can make the decision without someone's expertise or buy-in, why were they invited in the first place?

Flipped around: If you need someone's support or expertise, isn't that the whole point of the meeting in the first place? What was the point of the meeting if you don't re-run everything because The Guy was late?

This assumes the meetings are being operated logically. Some managers insist on "all hands" type meetings even when only 2-3 people are actually needed to make the decisions and the rest could be informed of the outcome by a two paragraph email.

My boss used to do this, having a company meeting every Monday which was almost 100% irrelevant to anyone but the salespeople, but you can be drat sure the techs and even receptionists were expected to be there every week.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress that I'd much rather people be late, hell every meeting we have here always goes late, I just wait for someone for someone to holler so I'm not dinking around an empty room for half an hour.

The worst is when you aren't invited to a meeting and you have no knowledge of one happening, but someone jogs up to you because you need to be in this super important meeting now. Of course you have absolutely no idea what you're in for, and end up telling everyone you have no idea what the gently caress they want or what they're talking about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Carbonite just spam bombed their mailing list for like the second time this week

http://m.imgur.com/LswiS0n?r

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Got a ticket in from the CEO of one of our clients. An email isn't going out. So i check the mail flow, nothing wrong. No other calls or tickets. Sender isn't blocked (.gov domain) and nothing appears to be blacklisted.

I ask him to send me the .msg file and get it a few hours later.

You know, for a company that prides itself on stringent adherence to PCI and HIPAA compliance, you would think that people would not send SSNs over unencrypted emails. Especially when the sender tells them not to. Thankfully we have custom rules in place that block messages with SSNs going out...

It's stuff like this that pisses me off the most, though. :negative:

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 8, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Priss In Plate posted:

Got a ticket in from the CEO of one of our clients. An email isn't going out. So i check the mail flow, nothing wrong. No other calls or tickets. Sender isn't blocked (.gov domain) and nothing appears to be blacklisted.

I ask him to send me the .msg file and get it a few hours later.

You know, for a company that prides itself on stringent adherence to PCI and HIPAA compliance, you would think that people would not send SSNs over unencrypted emails. Especially when the sender tells them not to. Thankfully we have custom rules in place that block messages with SSNs going out...

It's stuff like this that pisses me off the most, though. :negative:

I'm glad this was a fight we won years ago when we got Proofpoint. Couple of rules applied and a massive reduction in people sending out SSNs, credit card numbers and such. People bitched at first, but when presented with the argument over who wanted to be in the news for exposing a customer's SSN, people backed off quick.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Priss In Plate posted:

Yesterday I got wind of a municipality who sent out an unencrypted log file containing several SSNs.
..to the bureau that handles public data security.
..they sent it because they were under investigation for lax security and the bureau had requested the logs.

:psyduck:

(Link in Danish, if anyone cares)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm glad this was a fight we won years ago when we got Proofpoint. Couple of rules applied and a massive reduction in people sending out SSNs, credit card numbers and such. People bitched at first, but when presented with the argument over who wanted to be in the news for exposing a customer's SSN, people backed off quick.

Enjoy it while you can:

when your new CEO, Mr 567-68-0515 Simpson, starts, you'll have to uninstall it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Carbonite just spam bombed their mailing list for like the second time this week

http://m.imgur.com/LswiS0n?r
...How? Like, seriously, how do you gently caress up that much?

Also, are those emails even effective? They mostly just make me unsubscribe from lists.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Monday or Sunday is when the last email bomb went out.

quote:

My name is Jon Bonito, and I'm the manager of the Carbonite Business Team. Yesterday you were sent multiple emails regarding our products and services. This was an obvious error on our part. I wanted to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and let you know that the issue has been resolved.
Thanks for understanding. Please feel free to reach out to my team with any questions you may have.

They haven't sent out another apology yet...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Manslaughter posted:

get this man away from any sql database ever.

Does he think "Syntax error" is computer for "Ok dude, you're the boss!"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Working late on a Friday to do some DNS changes, and the company that is supposed to run the site and handle the redirect hasn't done anything yet, so people just get a Server Not Found error. Then again, its a mystery if this is what they wanted since no one has sent anything to me.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Severely pissing me off:

"Per our discussion and after evaluating your solution vs simply routing through OFFICE, it has been decided that the (inter-VPC IPsec) tunnel introduces unnecessary complexity and is a less reliable solution then routing via OFFICE. "

Two micro AWS instances set up to act as an inter-VPC tunnel, which Amazon *recommend*, are more complex than routing traffic from both VPCs through central OFFICE. And this from a boss who thinks Puppet isn't much use in a business environment... thoughts, people. Please. Please let me know I'm not the only one who thinks this is utterly stupid.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How do they route through OFFICE though? Does that not require a router in each VPC? Does each host in each VPC have a public address?

IPSec can be implemented on every host so you don't need dedicated virtual hardware.

For a serious consideration of the additional latency and unreliability of Amazon to OFFICE instead of Amazon to Amazon they must be rather misinformed about VPN networking.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
We've got a pfSense in OFFICE that has two IPsec tunnels, one to each of the VPCs. I've gone on record as saying "This is stupid, we lose OFFICE pfSense and we lose the bridge" so we'll see what happens.

The VPN endpoints I used had public IPs but were locked down via security groups so they could only talk to each other on the appropriate ports so it's not even a glaring security hole. I dunno. He has some good ideas (move from our crap hardware to AWS) but then some weirdass technical decisions like this one. "Keep it simple" he says...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: The new CEO doesn't have his Iphone yet, and had problems with his VPN this morning, and he's not freaking the gently caress out about any of it. He makes his request, and then allows a reasonable timeframe for it to get done without emailing constantly about it or expecting that bullying us will make the vendor ship it faster. He actually put in a ticket, was cool about not being able to get in. He actually lets poo poo that isn't that important play out.

It's nice to actually meet a real professional for a change :unsmith: