Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ammanas posted:

Yeah but it's getting a bit heavy-handed.

No it's not. It literally doesn't matter. People are making this up in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I wouldn't be against Dash to be re-introduced, if only because the Outrider is the best Corellian transport. Just forget about the rest of Shadows of the Empire.

Captain Splendid posted:

The Outrider still does though, if nothing else.

I'm happy!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

homullus posted:

Seriously, every time I turn around, the gender representing over half the population gets closer and closer to being 10% of the strong roles. Somebody needs to start showing some restraint.

I copied this and posted it on my Facebook and I ain't even sorry. Well done.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I said come in! posted:

No it's not. It literally doesn't matter. People are making this up in their heads.

Everything is made up in our heads especially you

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ammanas posted:

Yeah but it's getting a bit heavy-handed.

How?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Trailers looks decent, but did we really need yet another Star Wars movie where the lead character is white?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

I don't know what that is and I'm glad I don't have to.

All of the old Expanded Universe was rebranded as "Legends" when Disney established the Story Group and started its own canon.

The only things that exist in both are the PT, the OT, and the Clone Wars cartoon. Everything else is either old/Legends or new/Canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Trailers looks decent, but did we really need yet another Star Wars movie where the lead character is white?

Do note that of the 4 new big main characters in The Force Awakens, only one is a white male.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jivjov posted:

All of the old Expanded Universe was rebranded as "Legends" when Disney established the Story Group and started its own canon.

The only things that exist in both are the PT, the OT, and the Clone Wars cartoon. Everything else is either old/Legends or new/Canon.

Rebels cartoon is also "Canon" but yeah.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Man, I really hope Forrest Whittaker offhandedly offers Jyn Erso some kerbango some where in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY33IXgZp6E

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My hope is that at some point someone asks Lee Pace to play Wedge, white and male as he may be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dexo posted:

Rebels cartoon is also "Canon" but yeah.

Rebels isn't in Legends though. Rebels is solely New/Canon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jivjov posted:

Rebels isn't in Legends though. Rebels is solely New/Canon.

Ah, yeah I missed "both" there. Never mind I'm dumb.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They totally nailed the cinematpgraphy, and it's got Ghost Dog. Things are looking up!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

PriorMarcus posted:

Immediately after this scene those other Stormtroopers open fire and he ignites his light saber, burning away the wooden shaft built above the handle.

:gizz:

also is that Rey's mom?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Do note that of the 4 new big main characters in The Force Awakens, only one is a white male.

And he was a stupid nerd who everyone hates

Yay! (Unironic yay)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's nothing wrong with having female leads, as long as they're good and make sense in context (and that applies to male leads too, I'm not saying there should be a default one way or another). TFA was fine, and I'm sure if this is bad it won't be because they should have cast a man.

That said, you don't have to squint too hard to see that there's probably a cynical element to that decision for the first two movies. Disney knows that the movies sell themselves to boys, it's the girls who are the unexploited market.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Toilet Mouth posted:

There's nothing wrong with having female leads, as long as they're good and make sense in context (and that applies to male leads too, I'm not saying there should be a default one way or another). TFA was fine, and I'm sure if this is bad it won't be because they should have cast a man.

That said, you don't have to squint too hard to see that there's probably a cynical element to that decision for the first two movies. Disney knows that the movies sell themselves to boys, it's the girls who are the unexploited market.

In addition, while Rey and Jyn/Jan/whatever are being put forward as "the" main characters, the human costars are predominantly male. They aren't pulling a Ghostbusters and going all-women-all-the-time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rey is a strong female, but not a strong character. Hopefully they will manage a strong female character this time around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

Yeah but the two white people are the most important new characters in TFA, alongside Han being probably the third most significant character in the narrative.

It just bugs me to that Rogue One falls back on casting a white person as the central character yet again.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Serf posted:

Trailer looked awesome, can't wait to see this movie. Really intrigued by Forest Whitaker's character, his lines were pretty interesting and his costume was very unorthodox. Bounty hunter, perhaps?

I thought maybe he was one of those black-armored stormtroopers with his hat off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Yeah but the two white people are the most important new characters in TFA, alongside Han being probably the third most significant character in the narrative.

It just bugs me to that Rogue One falls back on casting a white person as the central character yet again.

Oh I agree that the diversity isn't quite fully there yet. But steps have been made! Finn is billed and treated as the second most important new good guy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Captain Splendid posted:

The Outrider still does though, if nothing else.

If you're talking about it being in the X-Wing mini game that isn't canon either. Unless it made a cameo appearance in TFA? If so WHERE?

Who gives a poo poo about canon anyways. The Lucas Story Group guy put it best.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/713056528253595649

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Rey is a strong female, but not a strong character. Hopefully they will manage a strong female character this time around.

Nah, this is wrong. She is a very strong character who we are still learning more about because its a three part story so it isn't done yet.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you're talking about it being in the X-Wing mini game that isn't canon either. Unless it made a cameo appearance in TFA? If so WHERE?

It is in the New Hope SE

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rey is bad news.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQPpmDMLtY

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Gorgolflox posted:

It is in the New Hope SE

So not canon then

gently caress the SE

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Nah, this is wrong. She is a very strong character

Just like Kylo Ren is very very scary

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

So not canon then

gently caress the SE

The most recent cuts of the films are the canonical ones.

"Very very scary" might be a bit much, but he's definitely dangerous.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

I said come in! posted:

Nah, this is wrong. She is a very strong character who we are still learning more about because its a three part story so it isn't done yet.

She's really strong but not very exciting to watch doing stuff. It's the entire first movie's fault tbh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you say so. He tried to be intimidating but wasn't at all because he is young and inexperienced, made him a really interesting character. You never see that for villains.

Wild Horses posted:

She's really strong but not very exciting to watch doing stuff. It's the entire first movie's fault tbh

Nah, she was really exciting to watch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

If you say so. He tried to be intimidating but wasn't at all because he is young and inexperienced, made him a really interesting character. You never see that for villains.

Yeah; his attempts at intimidation are mixed, but the money's where he just loses control make him a dangerous force. No idea how he's going to react.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Nah, she was really exciting to watch.

If you say so.

I'm honestly hoping the next movie does flesh out everything hinted at in TFA.

Getting blue balled by the first movie really sucks and diminished it a lot, in ways i can't really articulate

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hmmmm that teaser seemed ok but there wasn't a wide shot of a group of characters running at another group of characters, with a quick cut away before they collide. disappointing to say the least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

If you say so.

I'm honestly hoping the next movie does flesh out everything hinted at in TFA.

Getting blue balled by the first movie really sucks and diminished it a lot, in ways i can't really articulate

That's your choice if you want to be upset by what was in TFA. It was perfect and gives us something to look forward to. Didn't diminish the movie at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked that trailer very very much.

I'm so on board with Disney milking the gently caress out of Star Wars and making 100 really fun movies.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That's your choice if you want to be upset by what was in TFA. It was perfect and gives us something to look forward to. Didn't diminish the movie at all.

Not really upset, no. Just that it was kinda frustrating to watch. Glad it worked for you though :v:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
That trailer was loving badass. Just finished watching it for the 4th time.

If this is what "Star Wars every year" is going to mean, then bring it on, Disney.

My lightsaber is fully extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I liked that trailer very very much.

I'm so on board with Disney milking the gently caress out of Star Wars and making 100 really fun movies.

Yeah, I don't see the problem with it. Here's hoping I can go see a fun Star Wars movie once a year until the day I drop dead.

• Locked thread