Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Personally, I most identify with the Bird Who Carries You Across a Disproportionately Small Gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She's meant to be relatable? :stare:

Lurdiak posted:

I find it really odd how many people have such a strong negative reaction to Anime Dinosaur in Undertale.

It was mostly the phone calls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

I wish creepy fan-art posters hadn't murdered the Undertale thread because I would like to discuss things without feeling like I'm spoiling it for people :(

My experience with Undertale fans is that playing the game renders you incapable of not spoiling it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are also data-miners to worry about.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's drat hard to talk about Undertale and not spoil it on people.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think you hung around the same social circles that Toby Fox did in high school. I've known quite a few Alphys-like people in my time.

VVVV--- That's because that's a bit more of a spoiler. There's a few things about Alphys that are big spoilers.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 7, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone always talks about how the dinosaur loves anime but never the part about her being a selfish liar

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well yes, since she's literally every poster on this forum.

Depressed and unable to keep her life together and pushing others away and obsessed with children's media.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

I find it really odd how many people have such a strong negative reaction to Anime Dinosaur in Undertale.

It was mostly how she loving calls you every 10 steps for that entire segment and I got sick of her poo poo real fast
I don't hate Mettaton in particular so much as just that entire section in general

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 7, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

It was mostly how she loving calls you every 10 steps for that entire segment and I got sick of her poo poo real fast

That's the joke, though. It's usually just a few lines of text, and she DOES turn off the lasers for you if you get hit by them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

everyone always talks about how the dinosaur loves anime but never the part about her being a selfish liar

The Fat Lesbian Lisa Simpson dinosaur is the worst because not only is she incredibly annoying but she's a terrible person who is directly responsible for pretty much every bad thing in the game and nobody really calls her out on being a complete monster.

If it weren't for her fuckboi robot stealing the show that entire section would be a wash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I bought Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge

its fuckin hard yo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quality-wise though compared to original ninja gaiden 3 it's like loving night and day like goddamn

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I too hate a cartoon for not having their actions judged.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I only played Razor's Edge, aside from adding weapons what were the differences between it and the original?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

original ninja gaiden 3 has a qte where you have to execute a crying man for no reason and he screams and talks about his kids and it sprays blood everywhere and says EXCELLENT COMBO

and they took that out for razor's edge because holy poo poo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I now regret asking.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The Fat Lesbian Lisa Simpson dinosaur is the worst because not only is she incredibly annoying but she's a terrible person who is directly responsible for pretty much every bad thing in the game and nobody really calls her out on being a complete monster.

Probably because a lot of people have such a raging hardon against anime that it's seen as the greater offense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

I bought Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge

its fuckin hard yo

I guess it could be worse....

You could have bought Yaiba

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

original ninja gaiden 3 has a qte where you have to execute a crying man for no reason and he screams and talks about his kids and it sprays blood everywhere and says EXCELLENT COMBO

and they took that out for razor's edge because holy poo poo

lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

I only played Razor's Edge, aside from adding weapons what were the differences between it and the original?

it adds a bunch of combos, too, and fixes things like how your ninpo bar went away if you didn't use it immediately and how steel on bone was done and a lot of other QOL things

also it adds HERO MODE where you can't lose, haha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who thinks that Keiji Inafuba should ever be let near a game needs to play Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

If it weren't for her fuckboi robot stealing the show that entire section would be a wash.

If we must. (UNDERTALE SPOILERS OF A MAJOR SORT)The Determination Extraction machine wasn't Alphys' design, it was her predecessor, Dr. Gaster. Gaster built the machine but never used it, for reasons we do not know. Alphys, tasked by the King to find a means of penetrating the barrier, had exhausted all other avenues of research and ultimately used the DT machine in a series of experiments that created the Amalgamations and Flowey. Alphys had no way of knowing that this would be the result, and at the time, the ends seemed to justify the means. She's not really responsible for Flowey being a giant god-like rear end in a top hat, nor is she responsible for Chara's death or any of the stuff with Asriel, or the human war preceeding it. And Flowey himself is ultimately redeemed by you on the Pacifist run; if Alphys hadn't made Flowey, it may very well be that the barrier would never be peacefully broken. If things hadn't played out the way they did, then no sequence of events would have led directly to Frisk liberating the monsters without any bloodshed. By the end, basically, everything has worked out as best as it could, and even the Amalgamations seem to enjoy new lives with their families.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

heres a clip of it (from before i had a good capture card so it's not very clear sadly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnPJOvjyyg

IM JUST TRYING TO FEED MY KIDS

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess it could be worse....

You could have bought Yaiba

I think Razor's Edge manages to make it an enjoyable if fuckin bullshit videogame. But even if you disagree, NG3 was maybe the worst character action game of all time so it's still a definite improvement

e: I forgot about Yaiba so we'll say it was second-worst

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

heres a clip of it (from before i had a good capture card so it's not very clear sadly)

Jesus christ those devs have issues.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Are you Cabbagepots?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The music verged on unlistenable at times too, which really didn't help.

This is the most hosed up thing i've ever read

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This reminds me of the pinball table The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot which has a robot lady who gets a voice and speaks to the player in a similar voice.

One of my favorite musical moments from Undertale is towards the very end, after you go down the long hall and enter the occupied room with all the flowers. There are birds chirping when you walk in but after a beat it goes silent except for one, short trichord(?) that plays for maybe a quarter note followed by four or five quarter rests. I found myself in that room more than a few times, and every time I thought it was neat. I'm a big fan of minimalism, though, so I don't expect one chord followed by silence to do it for a whole lot of people.

On the topic of minimalist music in video games, I've always been partial to the password theme from Megaman 2. If I didn't have an Apple phone I'd make it my ringtone or alarm or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcjcxtyR5hs

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Great video title lol. Was there anything else in the game to show Ryu's remorseless killer angle or did they hinge everything on that one scene?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This part's in stage one. I never found out if it got edgier, but I felt like the gameplay was a step down from NG2 and I sent it back to GameFly. Funny that the Razor's Edge variant would be blunted.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Great video title lol. Was there anything else in the game to show Ryu's remorseless killer angle or did they hinge everything on that one scene?

well, that's the first thing you do in level one. it sucked so i never found out :shrug:

in razor's edge you just slide under the truck and nobody tries to stop you because i guess they remembered ryu is supposed to be the hero

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Origin is apparently offering Medal of Honor Pacific for free, which is cool since I played a ton of it splitscreen on my cousin's PS2 when I was twelve.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The only medal of honor game I played was frontline, which I enjoyed, except it was way too tough for me to play so I'd play with infinite health and other cheats like the one that replaces every hat model with a random object from the same stage.

In the first part of the operation market garden stage, I always made sure to cheat so that I could save the soldier stranded on the windmill. I think they might have had dialogue for if you do save him even tho you have to cheat in order to do it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I missed Alphys-chat, but I wanted to add that the part everyone was super annoyed by was the part that made me have to stop playing for the day because I was laughing so hard, I was sobbing. I don't know what exactly caused that series of dumb social media/social awkwardness jokes to destroy me, but it did.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like how the game is almost directly designed to make you dislike Alphys the first time you play, then the second playthrough you find even more reason to hate her. She's almost like an inverted Papyrus, where instead of being immediately lovable, you have to really get to know her before you can appreciate her, much like that kind of person irl.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Since I haven't played the game since the first playthrough, one question just crossed my mind for y'all:
At the end of my pacifist run, the flower says something about going back to talk to Undyne I think? Are you supposed to actually go back and find her or is that one of those meta things that carries over to the next playthrough?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

raditts posted:

Since I haven't played the game since the first playthrough, one question just crossed my mind for y'all:
At the end of my pacifist run, the flower says something about going back to talk to Undyne I think? Are you supposed to actually go back and find her or is that one of those meta things that carries over to the next playthrough?

its a hint for how to do the full pacifist run

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

oddium posted:

One is a forgivable sin but liking anime is never acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

They want you to go back and get a letter from Undyne to give to Alphys, which starts you on the path to befriend her much in the same way you befriended Papyrus and Undyne. If you do this then you get the actual pacifistic ending, what you got instead before was essentially just a neutral ending. It's actually impossible to get the pacifistic ending the first time but if you do what you did you don't have to actually start over, you just follow that boss's advice and you'll finish it again pretty quickly.

• Locked thread