Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Weedeater are touring Aus next month with Conan.

Where do I start with weedeater?

Do a few shots of cough syrup and bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

nerve posted:

Beast in the Field are loud as gently caress

Dude I played with them in Kalamazoo MI at a fest last year and they loving killed it. They also had 2 more of those cabs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
sorry to say but that amount of cabs is just for show, really. a single full stack for each stringed instrument in a decently sized venue with a decent pa will be more than enough to give you so much sound that your ears will hurt, even with plugs. we played with jucifer and they were using rent equipment, two full stacks for the guitar and ridiculously loud. even too loud in my opinion, you couldn't tell the riffs apart really.

don't believe the hype

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dyna Soar posted:

sorry to say but that amount of cabs is just for show, really. a single full stack for each stringed instrument in a decently sized venue with a decent pa will be more than enough to give you so much sound that your ears will hurt, even with plugs. we played with jucifer and they were using rent equipment, two full stacks for the guitar and ridiculously loud. even too loud in my opinion, you couldn't tell the riffs apart really.

don't believe the hype

lol. You're probably right though, apart from Sunn O))) the subjectively loudest act I've seen was Joe Preston as Thrones. I don't recall the setup but he didn't have an amp wall, it was just a really small venue and I was sat on the floor a metre or two away from him. The plaster was falling off the ceiling.

Shakenbaker posted:

Next night is the Melt Banana and The Melvins (and Napalm Death but who cares amirite?)
Napalm Death were pretty good when I saw them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Napalm Death were pretty good when I saw them.

i saw em play a "slow" set at roadburn, they were really good! like, post-punk with napalm death sounds. actually one of the better gigs i've seen in the past few years. no idea what their normal live set would be like now, tho.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I like some of the sludgey stuff bands more associated with grindcore have been putting out. Pig Destroyer's playthrough of Natasha was way more engaging than their grind set when I saw them last year, and Agoraphobic Nosebleed's latest thing is pretty cool too. I've always had a soft spot for a bit of grindcore even if it's not exactly something I listen to on the regular, and the doom/grind crossovers are interesting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I thought that was a joke when he said who cares about Napalm Death.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fyodor posted:

I thought that was a joke when he said who cares about Napalm Death.

One out of three ain't bad.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like Napalm Death, but I've lost count of how many times I've seen both the Melvins and Melt Banana. I'm looking forward to all three :yayclod:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Has anyone been to that show yet? I'm going next Friday pretty pumped for it - who is actually headlining Napalm Death?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Napalm Deaths slow stuff can be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gUB_ZZph8

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

Has anyone been to that show yet? I'm going next Friday pretty pumped for it - who is actually headlining Napalm Death?

Pretty sure it's Napalm Death headlining, yeah. Melt Banana and Melvins are support.

Honestly a band like the Melvins headlining seems like a losing proposition with regards to ticket sales and attendance. Think about any time you've seen them (or any live video you've ever seen) and remember there's a lot of really bored/confused people at the bar, maybe 1/5 of the crowd politely listening, and then less than twelve people in front who are having their minds blown.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Arghhh, I don't know why but I've been slacking on getting tickets for the Boston show and now they're up to $80 on stubhub. Still probably worth it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shakenbaker posted:

Pretty sure it's Napalm Death headlining, yeah. Melt Banana and Melvins are support.

Honestly a band like the Melvins headlining seems like a losing proposition with regards to ticket sales and attendance. Think about any time you've seen them (or any live video you've ever seen) and remember there's a lot of really bored/confused people at the bar, maybe 1/5 of the crowd politely listening, and then less than twelve people in front who are having their minds blown.

it may depend on where. i've seen some very well attended (though not sold out) melvins headliners in dc/baltimore. but yeah ND is a bigger overall draw without a doubt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Latest version of the Psycho Las Vegas line-up has a new head head-liner.

I haven't heard that much from Alice Cooper's catalog, but he seems like a weird match to the rest of the bands to me, aside from historical interest.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Shakenbaker posted:

I might be weird but Napalm Death isnt' really my thing, and I'm really just excited to see Melvins and Melt Banana. I'd be more than happy if ND is really headlining as in that case I could see myself ducking out after a few songs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Darthemed posted:

I haven't heard that much from Alice Cooper's catalog, but he seems like a weird match to the rest of the bands to me, aside from historical interest.

dude, alice cooper fits in perfectly and has probably influenced uncle acid, pentagram, colour haze, death, woven hand, danava, satans satyrs or any of the more 70s sounding bands on the line up.

do yoursefl a favour and check out welcome to my nightmare, killer or billion dollar babies. solid hard rock right there.

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016
Jason... The Dragon is pretty tits too

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dyna Soar posted:

dude, alice cooper fits in perfectly and has probably influenced uncle acid, pentagram, colour haze, death, woven hand, danava, satans satyrs or any of the more 70s sounding bands on the line up.

do yoursefl a favour and check out welcome to my nightmare, killer or billion dollar babies. solid hard rock right there.

Agreed. Love it to Death through to Billion Dollar Babies is pretty unassailable. When Alice Cooper became just the man himself instead of an actual band it went to hell pretty quick though (pun intended)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
my dad bought me the schools out cd when i passed 7th grade. good memories.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hey nerds, I just saw this on facebook because I'm lame but I thought I would pass it along because you'll like it because you're nerds.

Sleep - Dragonaut (8 Bit Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJssN2Tq3c

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Just in case someone's wondering what's going on with Ever Circling Wolves, we finally finished our second album and put a couple of tracks on our bandcamp: https://ecwdoom.bandcamp.com (not downloadable because we're fishing for someone to release the album and would prefer no one download it yet).

Also, Dyna Soar, you have the coolest dad.

Edit: Also, also, I just noticed a friend of mine posted his band's new album on facebook, death doom not entirely unlike Hooded Menace and the like: https://solothus.bandcamp.com/album/no-king-reigns-eternal

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 7, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Darthemed posted:

I hope Belzebong and Beelzefuzz duel each other on stage

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
New Inter Arma track!
http://pitchfork.com/news/64619-inter-arma-announce-new-album-paradise-gallows-share-transfiguration-listen/

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Napalm Death still smokes and their newest record was one of the better grind albums of the past few years.

I don't think I will ever get tired of Barney's vocals.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Parachute posted:

Napalm Death still smokes and their newest record was one of the better grind albums of the past few years.

I don't think I will ever get tired of Barney's vocals.

Definitely one of the best album covers in a long while, too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This was brought up a couple pages ago but I've had time to let it marinade and holy poo poo:

https://oranssipazuzu.bandcamp.com

That album is probably the greatest thing I've heard in quite a while. It is in HEAVY rotation around Fyodor Manor.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 8, 2016

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I love it too. More than one track puts me in mind of some Portishead.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

I might be weird but Napalm Death isnt' really my thing, and I'm really just excited to see Melvins and Melt Banana. I'd be more than happy if ND is really headlining as in that case I could see myself ducking out after a few songs.

I'm with you, not as into death or grindcore as much as I am most other flavors of metal, but Napalm Death is almost certainly a bigger name. I think the last time ND came through here they were the headliner on a festival (I went to this show because Iron Reagan and Voivod were on it as well :v:) so they definitely have some recognition. I wish it were the other way around because gently caress yeah Melvins but it is what it is.

Thinking about it though I live in Tampa so my perception of things may be skewed.

edit: Cool interview with Julie Christmas up at Noisey. I am so stoked for this new record with Cult of Luna and her that I can hardly stand it.

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 8, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Napalm Death is almost certainly a bigger name
Uhh they're one of the well known grind bands if not the most well known, there's no almost about it

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

A human heart posted:

Uhh they're one of the well known grind bands if not the most well known, there's no almost about it

They're definitely one of the most famous. I sell them to my partner as "the band that the guy from Jesu was in for a minute" :ssh:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Napalm Death with Craig Charles on the BBC in 1989. "Step aside Kylie Minogue".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsytdmYtcf8
(You can skip to 1:10 for their performance.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

They're definitely one of the most famous. I sell them to my partner as "the band that the guy from Jesu was in for a minute" :ssh:

And the guy from Cathedral!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

And the guy from Cathedral!

I was explaining this to a guy at work today and he went slack-jawed.

edit: Don't want to double post so I'll just edit. Has anyone else listened to the latest Monster Magnet do-over? I enjoyed Milking the Stars as a novelty but I feel like Cobras and Fire just doesn't work for me as much. Not sure if that's because of the relative strength of the base albums or just because it's a gimmick that's already worn out.

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 8, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress me, Psycho just needs YOB and Windhand on there somewhere and its basically every single band I would ever want to see live in a single place.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Well YOB is on there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress there was legit too man names to even process.

gently caress.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah, thats a solid lineup. imo some roadburn years as well as the occasional hellfest lineup have been better, but that's a fest i would consider traveling halfway around the world to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There is zero doom fests in Australia so i would gladly take anything.

Elder, Yob, Conan, sleep, sunn have all been out tho so cant complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas LP The Mariner is out!

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/7Gys3aNZTqk5o0bXqcMZwv
Physical: http://www.cultofluna.com/store