Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Star Destroyers are big enough to fit the Tantive IV into their hanger bays.

Not in Armada! drat scale differences between squadrons, medium and large ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gonk droid scum only :mad:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

After the events of ANH, the Gonk droid turned to a life of crime after a crippling addiction to 'juicing'.[1]

[1]Wookieepedia

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bruxism posted:

I've got a buddy coming in from out of town this weekend and plan to play a few games of Xwing. I've got a slowly growing collection, but not much experience building lists. I was hoping you all could recommend a few balanced match ups? Happy to proxy whatever cards I need, though don't want to proxy ships.

I have:
Imp:
T/Def
3x T/FO
6x T
3x T/Int
1x T/bmb
1x T/phan
1x T/adv prototype
1x Slave One

Reb:
2x Bwing
2x Awing
2x T70
3x T65
1x Ywing
1x Millenium Falcon

Thanks for any recommendations!

Hi dude

Any 100 point lists you assemble here will probably be pretty balanced (just don't use the generic YT-1300 which sucks). For a beginner game I'd leave out the phantom and try not to include the hassle of a full TIE swarm. Maybe give the new guy Han? Having a turret will make the game less punishing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

wtf

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bruxism posted:

I've got a buddy coming in from out of town this weekend and plan to play a few games of Xwing. I've got a slowly growing collection, but not much experience building lists. I was hoping you all could recommend a few balanced match ups? Happy to proxy whatever cards I need, though don't want to proxy ships.
Here's one that may or may not be good:

Luke
Wedge
Blue Ace
(and 16 points of upgrades)

vs

Vessery + x7 + VI
Omega Ace + PtL
Omega Leader
Zeta Leader

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Kyle Katarn is a dumb character and doesn't deserve to return.

He's like Dash Rendar with a lightsaber.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

What the gently caress

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also, wasn't Jan Ors Asian? At least the FMV actress looked Asian, even if her card art in Armada is white as hell.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Panzeh posted:

And a beard. He's like, totally different.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
He's also definitely nothing like Corran Horn, the ace pilot/commando/Jedi late-bloomer.

Wait I think I'm seeing a theme for rebel heroes here hang on

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Eimi posted:

Also, wasn't Jan Ors Asian? At least the FMV actress looked Asian, even if her card art in Armada is white as hell.

The model who played her was indeed half korean

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
And her voice actress was a twi'lek

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

That's a bad attitude. And Dash Rendar is just fine :colbert:

I'm gonna go replay Dark Forces games, now, and pretend that nothing challenges my feelings of nostalgia

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Super Dash is my fave ship in x-wing purely for in-game reasons :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bruxism posted:

I have:
Imp:
T/Def
3x T/FO
6x T
3x T/Int
1x T/bmb
1x T/phan
1x T/adv prototype
1x Slave One

Reb:
2x Bwing
2x Awing
2x T70
3x T65
1x Ywing
1x Millenium Falcon

Thanks for any recommendations!

Rebels: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...amed%20Squadron
Imperials: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...amed%20Squadron

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

These are good solid fun to play lists. Especially for new players.

I love Ello so much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Ello and Jake are a lot of fun to fly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The guy who directed the Good American Godzilla is doing Rogue One so I'm hype

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

But it's not being directed by Guillermo del Toro?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of that movie - it felt competent but not very good. Hollywood seems to be on this kick of "hand over the reins to blockbuster titles to directors who have proven themselves merely competent with short filmographies" and the results so far have struck me, personally, as mixed at best (Josh Trank's Fantastic Four was loving horrible, while Colin Trevorrow's Jurassic World was hyper-derivative and formulaic but at least it had Chris Pratt). Even Episode VIII has Rian Johnson slated as the director, which makes me excited because I loved Looper and Brick, but also a little nervous because he slots right into that same archetype - did a movie that was modestly received, generally accepted as inoffensive, and now whoops you're in charge of a movie that's part of a gazillion-dollar franchise, glhf~

The Rogue One trailer felt like eating the puffy rice that comes on the plate with Korean hot wings - technically it's something, but it feels a lot like nothing?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
How did you miss the best/worst example? Disney gave John Carter to Andrew Stanton from Pixar. A hojillion dollar budget with zero marketing support. The movie was lousy, but it wasn't as terrible as The Lone Ranger despite earning less

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

There are good examples, too, though, as this has been their strategy with Marvel. James Gunn did well with Guardians of the Galaxy, for example. I think he fits what you're talking about.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

canyoneer posted:

How did you miss the best/worst example? Disney gave John Carter to Andrew Stanton from Pixar. A hojillion dollar budget with zero marketing support. The movie was lousy, but it wasn't as terrible as The Lone Ranger despite earning less

Holy poo poo you're right - although Stanton's filmography isn't literally three movies like Johnson, Trevorrow, Edwards, etc. they're mostly shorts, entirely animated, and only three features as director (a bug's life, Finding Nemo and WALL-E, which were actually pretty good movies)

Also I was picking examples that I felt were most relevant - Trevorrow is currently the guy they have slated to helm Episode IX, and Trank was talked about for one of the spin-off Star Wars Stories, which I haven't seen mention of since FF tanked (tranked?) so hard critically and commercially. But Jesus Christ that John Carter movie felt like a disaster waiting to happen from the jump. I'm not sure I feel like Rogue One is going to be bad - it's way too early to say that - but the trailer was kinda lame, Forest Whitaker isn't a selling point by himself (he's been in some pretty heinous poo poo, even if I generally like him a lot), and we learned next to nothing except that we're getting another female protagonist (:D) and that Mon Mothma from Episode III is in it (double :D).

Gimme some fuckin' starfighters, how can you call it Rogue One without some sweet starfighter pilots/piloting

e:

Finster Dexter posted:

There are good examples, too, though, as this has been their strategy with Marvel. James Gunn did well with Guardians of the Galaxy, for example. I think he fits what you're talking about.

James Gunn is more like Andrew Stanton than Colin Trevorrow, Gareth Edwards, or Rian Johnson - he's done a lot of side work beyond just his limited director's credit, and the two movies he had directed pre-Guardians are pretty good (Slither and Super I'd recommend unironically). Edwards did Monsters, which I didn't see but heard it was okay, then did Godzilla, and now he's on Rogue One - it's literally his third-ever movie, with limited visual effects credits and short films padding out the rest of his very short filmography.

Rian Johnson, the Episode VIII director, did Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Looper, all of which were high-concept movies with intriguing premises that delivered to varying levels - and that's basically all he's done. I loved the high-school noir weirdness of Brick, and Looper was a genuinely good and often-overlooked movie, but I think it's fair to express some trepidation that he's the guy for the next main-line Star Wars movie.

Colin Trevorrow (Episode IX) did Safety Not Guaranteed, which was inoffensive and okay, then did Jurassic World which was also inoffensive and okay, and now he's doing Episode IX. So :shrug:

In some ways I'm actually most confident in Edwards compared to even Johnson, who I'm most excited about personally, because he's used to working with outlandish budgets and at least making a competent film - Godzilla had flashes of being a really good movie, actually, but then they killed off the only compelling character (Bryan Cranston) and that was that. Hopefully everything just works out.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 7, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I enjoyed the John Carter movie. *shrug*

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I mean, people have been clamoring that Rogue One is going to be all about fighters despite there being zero evidence (aside from non-canon novels that share a similar name). In fact, the early mentions of it talked about how it was about the commando team that steals the plans. If there's flying I'll be surprised if we see much at all given the subject.

The trailer didn't really show us the whole deal though. We know there's a bunch of commandos from the first teaser image they released last year, and I didn't see Mads Mikkelson (I don't think?) in the teaser, and we know he's in it somewhere.

I mean, I do kind of hope I'm wrong, but OTOH a straight up war movie style Star Wars could be awesome.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I don't think a movie like Star Wars needs a particularly amazing director, just someone who can make a movie look good and flow.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

I enjoyed the John Carter movie. *shrug*

And that's your prerogative, man. I didn't, but I also have almost no interaction with the fiction beyond just the movie, and from what I gather it was a pretty good realization of books and/or comic books that precede the film by decades. The only thing I've ever liked Taylor Kitsch in was Friday Night Lights.

The Gate posted:

I mean, people have been clamoring that Rogue One is going to be all about fighters despite there being zero evidence (aside from non-canon novels that share a similar name). In fact, the early mentions of it talked about how it was about the commando team that steals the plans. If there's flying I'll be surprised if we see much at all given the subject.

The trailer didn't really show us the whole deal though. We know there's a bunch of commandos from the first teaser image they released last year, and I didn't see Mads Mikkelson (I don't think?) in the teaser, and we know he's in it somewhere.

I mean, I do kind of hope I'm wrong, but OTOH a straight up war movie style Star Wars could be awesome.

I think the problem, here, is that they chose a title that is deliberately evocative of starfighter squadrons, starfighters in general, and specifically Wedge Antilles for fans of the franchise - it would be like calling your movie Millennium Falcon except it takes place like 90% in a run-down gambling den on Treasure Ship Row and is mostly about the intricacies of sabacc. I'm not saying that can't be a good movie, but it would be sorta misleading to call the film Millennium Falcon, even if it's tangentially related.

e:

Panzeh posted:

I don't think a movie like Star Wars needs a particularly amazing director, just someone who can make a movie look good and flow.

I disagree. If you look at the two best films, in my estimation, in the series - A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, in that order - what stands out to me is the excellent direction. The attack on the Death Star from the 1977 original might be the highest high of the entire heptalogy to this point, and what makes that set-piece so incredible is good editing, excellent shot selection, and a conscious decision to let the effects speak for themselves but mostly concentrate the scenes on humanizing the pilots. (I think like almost half the running time of that chunk of the movie is just close-up shots of the pilots' faces in their cockpits, which makes it kinda sting when they die.) That's an inspired directorial choice, not something I'd expect out of a director who isn't very good. I'm not saying the new guys aren't, but it's also too early to say that they are, so "I don't know... :ohdear:" is justified, in my mind.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 7, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

True, like Irvin Kershner.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

I think the problem, here, is that they chose a title that is deliberately evocative of starfighter squadrons, starfighters in general, and specifically Wedge Antilles for fans of the franchise - it would be like calling your movie Millennium Falcon except it takes place like 90% in a run-down gambling den on Treasure Ship Row and is mostly about the intricacies of sabacc. I'm not saying that can't be a good movie, but it would be sorta misleading to call the film Millennium Falcon, even if it's tangentially related.

Outside of the Rebels guys, I don't think anyone else at Lucasfilm is steeped in EU lore, though. They probably just remember something about "Rogue something something" and thought it would be a cool name for a commando unit.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Now I want the Han Solo movie to just be "Space Rounders"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

Outside of the Rebels guys, I don't think anyone else at Lucasfilm is steeped in EU lore, though. They probably just remember something about "Rogue something something" and thought it would be a cool name for a commando unit.

If it were any other franchise I'd agree, but this is Nerd Culture: The Series™. Everyone at Disney and Lucasfilm and whomever else makes these kinds of decisions has to know what they're getting into with this stuff, and they pay lip service in interviews all the time. I personally think that Rogue One can be good or bad on its own merits completely independent of whether or not there are starfighters taking a big role in the film, but I also think that the title is a bad choice, given the context, if there's nothing but The Thin Red Line in Star Wars coming at us. That's all.

Finster Dexter posted:

Now I want the Han Solo movie to just be "Space Rounders"

Would watch/10

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that's basically my thinking as well. The whole Rogue Squadron mythos is from the books, mainly Stackpole's, and that's about it. The only other time you get Rogue Squadron is at Hoth, right? Episode VI it's back to Red Squadron?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

If it were any other franchise I'd agree, but this is Nerd Culture: The Series™. Everyone at Disney and Lucasfilm and whomever else makes these kinds of decisions has to know what they're getting into with this stuff, and they pay lip service in interviews all the time. I personally think that Rogue One can be good or bad on its own merits completely independent of whether or not there are starfighters taking a big role in the film, but I also think that the title is a bad choice, given the context, if there's nothing but The Thin Red Line in Star Wars coming at us. That's all.

I don't think you can be blamed for thinking so, but it hasn't been the case. JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about EU, for example. Star Wars doesn't have a Kevin Feige to make sure this stuff is as nerd-friendly as possible. They have Kathleen Kennedy. I bet she doesn't have any idea who Talon Karrde or Kyle Katarn or Jan Ors is.

e: Kevin Feige got to where he is basically because he is a giant turbonerd when it comes to Marvel Universe. He knows his Marvel poo poo and apparently is high-functioning enough to be president of a movie/entertainment studio.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 7, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

The Gate posted:

Yeah, that's basically my thinking as well. The whole Rogue Squadron mythos is from the books, mainly Stackpole's, and that's about it. The only other time you get Rogue Squadron is at Hoth, right? Episode VI it's back to Red Squadron?

Red/Green/Gold in Jedi, yeah, but it still strikes me as weird. (Also, Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader are among the best-received Star Wars video games ever, IIRC, so...) "Rogue" was obviously on their radar as a name for a team/squad/whatever - they chose it for the title of their movie, after all - but then to suggest "but they probably don't know/care what it means" is... weird? To me? I mean at this point it's like I'm making a mountain out of molehill, it's a minor annoyance, but again, you wouldn't name your character-driven corruption-in-the-Navy's-bureaucracy movie Maverick: Stories From The Danger Zone.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

Red/Green/Gold in Jedi, yeah, but it still strikes me as weird. (Also, Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader are among the best-received Star Wars video games ever, IIRC, so...) "Rogue" was obviously on their radar as a name for a team/squad/whatever - they chose it for the title of their movie, after all - but then to suggest "but they probably don't know/care what it means" is... weird? To me? I mean at this point it's like I'm making a mountain out of molehill, it's a minor annoyance, but again, you wouldn't name your character-driven corruption-in-the-Navy's-bureaucracy movie Maverick: Stories From The Danger Zone.

Shocking revelation: the entertainment industry isn't run by nerds. It's run by career management types with MBAs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't think you can be blamed for thinking so, but it hasn't been the case. JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about EU, for example. Star Wars doesn't have a Kevin Feige to make sure this stuff is as nerd-friendly as possible. They have Kathleen Kennedy. I bet she doesn't have any idea who Talon Karrde or Kyle Katarn or Jan Ors is.

e: Kevin Feige got to where he is basically because he is a giant turbonerd when it comes to Marvel Universe. He knows his Marvel poo poo and apparently is high-functioning enough to be president of a movie/entertainment studio.

TBQH, I'm glad that there's no old canon for directors to have to remember and work around. For every Rogue Squadron or Thrawn trilogy, there's three Darksabers or those awful Lando The Early Years novels. That leaves them the ability to throw in a nod here and there, or bring back a character/story, without having to "do it right" or piss off people who dislike how they changed a story. It's good.

That said, I kind of hope we see these dudes fly some Headhunters or Y-Wings at some point in Rogue One.

Edit: shiiiiit does anyone else remember the really really really bad kids books from the 90's? The plots revolved around the Emperors' son having a literal third eye, and there was a fake son running the Empire with these implants that let him fake shooting Sith lightning but the real son wasn't evil or something and *his* third eye was in the back of his head oh god why do I remember this

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 7, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

Shocking revelation: the entertainment industry isn't run by nerds. It's run by career management types with MBAs.

You say this like I don't know that already, when you're really missing my point. I'll summarize it.

1) Rogue One being good or bad has nothing to do with how many spaceships appear or do not appear during its runtime, which will hopefully come in below the 180min mark.
2) Rogue One is a bad title for your movie aimed at nerds if it has nothing to do with what nerds will associate with that title.

Zam, we did it boys

I think people are overestimating how automatic Rogue One's success is likely to be. TFA made all the dollars in the First World because it had a huge amount of hype, a well-known director attached, a marketing machine that was just unrelenting, smartly executed casting, and was a main-line Star Wars movie. Rogue One, if your assumption is true (gently caress nerds/fans, we're after that moms-with-kids demo that raked in the :bux: for TFA), is basically counting on the fact that the same demographics that turned out for The Force Awakens will feel obligated to go see everything that has Star Wars in the title somewhere, which isn't as rock-solid to me. My step-mom's reaction to Rogue One was literally "who cares?" and mild irritation. She doesn't speak for everyone, obviously, but the smart play would seem, on its surface, that if you're going to choose a name from either the EU or the video games or from ESB, you'd have a reason why? Like if you're not chasing nerds with the loaded title why did you name it Rogue anything at all? Why not GHOST ONE or CHEWIE'S ELEVEN or THE BIG PAYBACK IN PAZAAK or whatever, you get my drift

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Gate posted:

TBQH, I'm glad that there's no old canon for directors to have to remember and work around. For every Rogue Squadron or Thrawn trilogy, there's three Darksabers or those awful Lando The Early Years novels. That leaves them the ability to throw in a nod here and there, or bring back a character/story, without having to "do it right" or piss off people who dislike how they changed a story. It's good.

That said, I kind of hope we see these dudes fly some Headhunters or Y-Wings at some point in Rogue One.

I agree whole-heartedly.

There is that leaked photo that was linked above of the black and white x-wing crash. So, hopefully that's more than just a background set piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

The EU is non-canon and Rogue One takes place before A New Hope.

• Locked thread