Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The impending doom of nest, combined with google buying and bricking revolv makes me super excited for the specific dystopian future where your whole home is Connected, but the rapid obsolescence, industry cannibalism, and every other thing means you've got 14 legacy smartphones lying around, each running a different custom firmware to make it cooperate with your IntelliWash SmartShower System, which is itself being spoofed by an Arch box in your closet running a homebrew server since the IntelliWash servers went dark three years ago. It's even better than the future where your IntelliWash SmartShower System is hacked, and blasts you with freezing cold water before taking a picture and putting it on your facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

fart blood posted:

So, a question about Dropbox, since thats one of the companies people are worried about :

Suppose Dropbox goes under. What then? What becomes of their users dropboxes? Do they just vanish overnight?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting one of their paid models but if Dropbox is in danger of going under, I don't see much point.

Dropbox is not in imminent danger or anything like that. It just won't be IPOing for anywhere near its last private valuation any time soon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

Wired Magazine is

This is a book one of its co-founders wrote, which I stumbled upon at the local laundromat:

I guess this book did not want to stay in somebody's bookshelf. :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is a book one of its co-founders wrote, which I stumbled upon at the local laundromat:

The purest Commodity Fetishism

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

fart blood posted:

So, a question about Dropbox, since thats one of the companies people are worried about :

Suppose Dropbox goes under. What then? What becomes of their users dropboxes? Do they just vanish overnight?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting one of their paid models but if Dropbox is in danger of going under, I don't see much point.

Copy went under recently and they're giving everyone a few months to remove content, but remember that megaupload got shuttered and anyone's data on their servers was gone forever. So yeah, don't trust cloud sites for permanent backup. They're convenient, so feel free to use them, but also try to have things stored locally somewhere.

Just buy a cheap usb hd or a backup tape system or something and put all your pictures on it. HDs are not permanent either but the likelihood of both vanishing without warning is slim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

e_angst posted:

This got went over in detail in the Silicon Valley thread, but the people dying in accidents each year occurs because there is an insane amount of driving that is going on. Human failure rate (number of accidents per mile driven) is actually really low, something like 1.3 fatal accidents per 100 million miles. All accidents of any type are 185 per 100 million miles driven (1.85 per million). Google's self-driving cars have barely driven over a million miles are have been in several accidents.

You can't compare "fatalities" on one side and "all collisions" on the other. Not all human failure leads to a fatality (or even a reported crash).

"Fault" doesn't factor into the human statistics because for purposes of what they're measuring it doesn't matter. If they we're trying to compare to non-human drivers, they'd need to track that.

Copy went under recently and they're giving everyone a few months to remove content, but remember that megaupload got shuttered and anyone's data on their servers was gone forever. So yeah, don't trust cloud sites for permanent backup. They're convenient, so feel free to use them, but also try to have things stored locally somewhere.

With Dropbox you have to have everything stored locally in at least one place. If you delete it, it gets deleted from Dropbox as well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Buffer posted:

People vote. Robots don't. This is the acceptance / political part of the problem stack and the thing engineers are poo poo at. It's very easy to imagine a world where there are zero consequences for loving up a robot courier and if it drives into traffic and hurts someone *REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCE* it's the company and the engineers who are on the hook. It's a lot harder to imagine a world where having displaced the #1 job in the country, those displaced workers just go, yea, ok, I'll vote for the guy who not only let that happen, he indemnified the people that did it AND tacked on extra penalties not under current law.

Counterpoint: China style command and control economy.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:barf:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Larch posted:

If it's delivering things then wouldn't that be interference with the mail?

Not unless it belongs to the USPS.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Absurd Alhazred posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/executive-quits-fast-track-to-spend-more-time-with-394

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What does that even mean, 'listen to what it wants'? Is it more singularity-type, "we must obey our coming robot overlords" kinda nonsense?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liquid Communism posted:

Not unless it belongs to the USPS.

I thought breaking into private mailboxes was mail interference, even though they aren't owned by the USPS. Maybe not?

E: yeah, 18 USC 1701 and 1702 seem to agree. (Other sections call out postal employees specifically.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 7, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr Jaunts posted:

What does that even mean, 'listen to what it wants'? Is it more singularity-type, "we must obey our coming robot overlords" kinda nonsense?

Well I mean, robots would probably be better leaders than the ones we currently have but I'm not sure that's what that book is going for.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

fart blood posted:

It's pretty unlikely Dropbox ends up shutting down so fast that everything gets lost and all the hardware gets auctioned off at a fire sale. What's more likely is that it fails to deliver on its expectations and its valuation tanks enough that some PE firm like Silver Lake buys it in a leveraged buy out, fires most everyone, runs it for a few years while doctoring the books to make it look worth saving, and then sells it off to Microsoft or Google or someone with a competing service and the network effects to actually make money off of it. Or one of Microsoft and Google et al steps in and buys it right from the start in an all-stock deal if the market hasn't tanked enough to make it that unfeasible.

In either of those scenarios, you're likely to have continued service albeit without any real innovation or product updates through the death of the company. Which, for document storage, is probably okay because you don't really need most of the innovation people build on top of it. Slightly worse case is that they force you to move over to some other service and offer you the chance to download all your poo poo if you don't want to.

That being said, it could happen. It's not wise to do away with hard backups entirely. In dropbox's specific case, the thing actually works better if you treat it more as a way to sync between several machines rather than real cloud storage anyway.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's pretty unlikely Dropbox ends up shutting down so fast that everything gets lost and all the hardware gets auctioned off at a fire sale. What's more likely is that it fails to deliver on its expectations and its valuation tanks enough that some PE firm like Silver Lake buys it in a leveraged buy out, fires most everyone, runs it for a few years while doctoring the books to make it look worth saving, and then sells it off to Microsoft or Google or someone with a competing service and the network effects to actually make money off of it. Or one of Microsoft and Google et al steps in and buys it right from the start in an all-stock deal if the market hasn't tanked enough to make it that unfeasible.

In either of those scenarios, you're likely to have continued service albeit without any real innovation or product updates through the death of the company. Which, for document storage, is probably okay because you don't really need most of the innovation people build on top of it. Slightly worse case is that they force you to move over to some other service and offer you the chance to download all your poo poo if you don't want to.

That being said, it could happen. It's not wise to do away with hard backups entirely. In dropbox's specific case, the thing actually works better if you treat it more as a way to sync between several machines rather than real cloud storage anyway.

Yeh, dropbox is all about syncing devices, not backing things up. My wife and I use it to share the database for our baby logging app (when he ate, how much medicine, etc) between our phones.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Buffer posted:

People vote. Robots don't. This is the acceptance / political part of the problem stack and the thing engineers are poo poo at. It's very easy to imagine a world where there are zero consequences for loving up a robot courier and if it drives into traffic and hurts someone *REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCE* it's the company and the engineers who are on the hook. It's a lot harder to imagine a world where having displaced the #1 job in the country, those displaced workers just go, yea, ok, I'll vote for the guy who not only let that happen, he indemnified the people that did it AND tacked on extra penalties not under current law.

Yep when the manufacturing jobs moved overseas people instantly stopped voting for the party that wrote the laws to lower the trade barriers. It'll be just like that this time!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wired Magazine is

A bunch of nobodies.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol if you don't realize wired is firmly stuck in 1997 dotcom rooted optimism

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Wired is to tech what Rolling Stone is to music. A dinosaur coasting along on name recognition and goodwill from a time when it represented the avant-garde, but which has completely lost perspective and relevance as reality has moved in directions its narrow worldview doesn't equip it to speak intelligently about.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

karthun posted:

Computers are already better at driving on snow and ice than humans. If you doubt that turn off your antilock breaks and traction control and drive around during a Minnesota winter.

More people I know have accidents sure to the antilock freeze then anything else.

Given that automakers can't make a tire sensor that works in a Canadian winter then they sure as poo poo can't make a computer that does.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

axeil posted:

Well I mean, robots would probably be better leaders than the ones we currently have but I'm not sure that's what that book is going for.

We already had a referendum on that in 2012, Obama won

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Rolling Stone is a pamphlet these days. I couldn't believe how short it was. When I was in high school it was as thick as a decent sized newspaper. Back when newspapers were a lot thicker. You know what I mean.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Jaunts posted:

In the documentary "Transcendent Man" about Ray Kurzweil, the founder of Wired said that Kurzweil is crazy when it comes to the singularity, and that it's not about to happen in our lifetimes or anytime soon. So it's probably not robot overlords-type.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

We already had a referendum on that in 2012, Obama won

:yeah: :hfive: A Good Joke.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

e_angst posted:

This got went over in detail in the Silicon Valley thread, but the people dying in accidents each year occurs because there is an insane amount of driving that is going on. Human failure rate (number of accidents per mile driven) is actually really low, something like 1.3 fatal accidents per 100 million miles. All accidents of any type are 185 per 100 million miles driven (1.85 per million). Google's self-driving cars have barely driven over a million miles are have been in several accidents. Sure, they've only been responsible for one of them so far, but fault isn't accounted for in the human-driven accident rate. Also, Google is tipping the scales a bit by keeping the cars at low speeds and not driving in bad weather. So it's entirely likely that if we flipped to all-robot cars tomorrow (or even a couple of years from now) we'd see that ~100 deaths per day turn into ~120.

You need to take into account the fact the many accidents involve multiple vehicles. 185 accidents per 100 million miles could easily mean 300 vehicles involved in an accident per 100 million miles. So, it could easily be a similar rate. (although that could be the actual statistic and you misstated it/I misinterpreted it). Also with such a low probability event that difference is nowhere near statistically significant even taking those stats at face value. If the true accident rate is 1.85 per million then there's still a 40% chance of getting 3 or more accidents in a sample of 1 million.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

feels like robot car accident liability would be on the robot car company and not on the driver

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

a foolish pianist posted:

Startup snark aside, autonomous vehicles are going to be huge in the next decade. That sounds like a decent investment in a sort of first-pass robocar company.

Nah. There's a visceral hatred for this kind of poo poo amongst people who (justifiably or not) feel like automation cost them their jobs, and that's only going to increase. You can block these things without breaking any laws (trap it with rocks or just surround it) and people will because it's the only way they have to strike back at the techlords who've hidden away in their cyberhouses.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The techlords are going to get their deliveries via drone to designated pads in their South Bay arcologies. Gym lockers creeping down sidewalks are for peasant mail.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

feels like robot car accident liability would be on the robot car company and not on the driver

The thing that is really going to push the adoption of automated cars is when the tech gets mature enough to where the insurance companies are convinced that automation gives a statistically significant reduction in accidents. At that point everyone will be pushed towards automated cars because they will offer a steep financial incentive to do so. You still want a manually operated car? That's triple the normal months payment. Or if you were in manual mode and caused the accident your deductible is 5 times higher than if you were in automated mode.

It will still be a long and drawn out rollout before we are anywhere near having a majority of cars on the road being automated, but at some point every new car for sale will feature it and there will be significant financial and cultural pushes to use it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

blugu64 posted:

lol if you don't realize wired is firmly stuck in 1997 dotcom rooted optimism

Every time Wired comes up in conversation I have to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDdLhnIoA4

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Every time Wired comes up in conversation I have to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDdLhnIoA4

Wired has been terrible since the beginning, when it was the corporate-friendly rip-off of Mondo 2000.

Goddamn I miss Mondo 2000.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i can't wait for unannounced roadwork to kill people in their robot cars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it'll be like dolan's cadillac

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/04/in-recent-test-blockchain-brings-transparency-to-notorious-credit-default-swaps/

quote:

On Thursday, Wall Street’s bookkeeper announced that it had successfully tested blockchain technology to manage single-name credit default swaps (CDS) among four big banks: Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citi, Credit Suisse, and JP Morgan.

In a credit default swap, one bank buys the debt owed to another bank with the understanding that if the debt holder defaults on their loan, the buyer bank will be compensated by the selling bank. In the years leading up to the 2008 recession, the buying and selling of credit default swaps was not watched by regulators at all, and as an NPR explainer described it in October 2008, "If bad mortgages got the financial system sick, credit default swaps helped spread the illness worldwide."
The need for more transparency is where blockchain comes in. The concept of the blockchain ledger was developed and popularized by virtual currency Bitcoin, and on a blockchain ledger peer-to-peer transactions can be monitored by every entity that’s party to the ledger, theoretically resulting in more transparency. And recently Silicon Valley has pushed the finance world to appropriate the blockchain concept to make more traditional transactions more efficient, as well: if transactions are seamlessly recorded on a shared ledger, using a middleman to clear the transactions is no longer necessary.

So it’s no wonder that the Depository Trust & Clearance Corporation (DTCC), which is co-owned by banks and provides clearing and settlement services between banks, decided to run a small test of blockchain technology to suss out how and whether it could be incorporated on a grander scale. Besides Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citi, Credit Suisse, and JP Morgan, DTCC also worked with Markit, a data provider that transmits the trades between buyer and seller, and with Axoni, a distributed ledger software developer.

With the Axoni software, banks were able to recreate a month of trades and update the terms of their trades on the blockchain ledger, creating “smart contracts” that contained "economic terms, as well as computational logic to manage permissions,” according to DTCC.

"The project also demonstrated the transparency which could be made available to regulators in real time, including individual trade details, counterparty risk metrics, and systemic exposure to each reference entity,” DTCC added. The company also noted that it did 85 tests of the Axoni software to asses "lifecycle functionality, integration with external systems, network resiliency, and data privacy."

The value of blockchain-recorded transactions is palpable to bankers. According to The Wall Street Journal, "Analysts at Autonomous Research say using blockchain could cut trading settlement costs by a third, or $16 billion a year, and cut capital requirements by $120 billion. A recent report by Citigroup forecast that automation including blockchain could eliminate two million banking jobs, largely in processing, over the next decade.”

Still, it will be years before blockchain ledgers are used in earnest. Changes that could add new complexity or poorly understood points of failure will be eyed suspiciously in the banking world. But several big banking companies have said they're looking into experimenting with the technology. Earlier this year, IBM announced that it would be developing "blockchain-as-a-service." In other words, applications for a shared ledger that could be applied to banking as well as shipping or logistics.

Bitcoin and Credit Default Swaps, two great financial innovations brought together at last!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1337JiveTurkey posted:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/04/in-recent-test-blockchain-brings-transparency-to-notorious-credit-default-swaps/

Bitcoin and Credit Default Swaps, two great financial innovations brought together at last!!

It's not Bitcoin. Blockchain is just a distributed ledger, it doesn't have to be connected to any of the mining/exchanges/wallet hijinks of Bitcoin.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

It's not Bitcoin. Blockchain is just a distributed ledger, it doesn't have to be connected to any of the mining/exchanges/wallet hijinks of Bitcoin.

I know, but given the financial industry's love of screwing things up, they'll have their own hijinks in no time.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

lol

"We've invented a new way to help identify potential systemic problems in the economy!"

*fires 2,000,000 people*

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

i can't wait for unannounced roadwork to kill people in their robot cars

Cars, or rather teh massive amount of car traffick, already poses a significiant danger* for the health and wellbeing of drivers and bystanders. The benefits of mass car traffic are considered to outweight those benefits and car manufactures by and large are not held liable for every incident involving the dangerous objects the produce. I'd assume that the same will eventually hold true for self-driving cars.

* Danger not as in "It's coming right at us and has a gun!" but as in "Very likely to be instrumentally involved in incidents damaging life and limb"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Peztopiary posted:

Nah. There's a visceral hatred for this kind of poo poo amongst people who (justifiably or not) feel like automation cost them their jobs, and that's only going to increase. You can block these things without breaking any laws (trap it with rocks or just surround it) and people will because it's the only way they have to strike back at the techlords who've hidden away in their cyberhouses.

Automated cars are a joke, and will be no closer to public adoption 10 years ago than they are now because they flatly aren't capable of fulfilling many of the jobs vehicles are used for, and are another high maintenance component with a strong liklihood of a malfunction killing drive/passenger/bystanders.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Liquid Communism posted:

Automated cars are a joke, and will be no closer to public adoption 10 years ago than they are now because they flatly aren't capable of fulfilling many of the jobs vehicles are used for, and are another high maintenance component with a strong liklihood of a malfunction killing drive/passenger/bystanders.
Yeah, I'll take this bet. :toxx: there'll be a publicly available self-driving car that can handle a majority of car trips for your average person in the states with no human intervention* within 10 years.

* beyond obvious setup type things like telling it where to go, maybe some state info relevant to where it's legal to park (e.g. whether you have a handicapped placard), etc.

edit: now to add this to my calendar. Hope google calendar and gmail both still exist 10 years from now.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I agree, simply because there is too much money to be made. Forget personal cars, the real money is in driverless semi trucks, taxis, shuttles, buses, delivery trucks, and other fleet vehicles. Getting humans out of the driver's seat would massively reduce transportation and shipping costs, and the big companies that stand to gain from it can push the relevant laws through.