Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DigitalMocking posted:

I am, thanks.

I'm pretty loving merciless as a hiring manager, I'll be honest. 20 years of hiring people have made me cynical when it comes to the simplest of things in an interview.

1) Being on time.
2) Having no spelling/grammar errors on your resume
3) Being well groomed/appropriately dressed
4) Being prepared (extra resumes, having questions to ask me during the interview)

Almost every time I've overlooked any of these 4 basic things the person has wound up being a problem employee.

In all the time of working people who considered themselves "merciless" have sucked to work with.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I feel like if you're expected to do poo poo after hours regularly, you can come in when you drat well please

I agree. Its been the unwritten rule in my dept and I have made this clear to all my people. The ones who don't work after hours, can expect to be at work from their start time to their end time. Everyone else, make your own hours and get poo poo done in a reasonable way. Its probably kept a few people around who could get higher pay at a bigger company because a flexible work schedule is amazing.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

In all the time of working people who considered themselves "merciless" have sucked to work with.

Sorry you've worked with such bad people. Interviewing is just the worst poo poo to deal with. For every good candidate that shows up on time and ready, there are 10 more that are just full of excuses, have lied on their resume, interview poorly, make really bad choices before hand (the guy who stayed up all night and then drank 4 redbulls we interviewed a few months ago comes to mind). All of these things just drive the soul out of you.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

Sorry you've worked with such bad people. Interviewing is just the worst poo poo to deal with. For every good candidate that shows up on time and ready, there are 10 more that are just full of excuses, have lied on their resume, interview poorly, make really bad choices before hand (the guy who stayed up all night and then drank 4 redbulls we interviewed a few months ago comes to mind). All of these things just drive the soul out of you.

I'd say your 4 points are all expected and reasonable, rather than merciless. Well, aside from bringing extra resumes, because gently caress that. The interviewer has your resume. If they want more of your resume, they usually have copy machines.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DigitalMocking posted:

I am, thanks.

I'm pretty loving merciless as a hiring manager, I'll be honest. 20 years of hiring people have made me cynical when it comes to the simplest of things in an interview.

I'm willing to give a five to ten minute grace period to anyone who lives in a city with unpredictable traffic problems, which is basically any major city. And God forbid they need to take public transit.

But then, if your job does not require you to sit at a desk at specific hours to perform your job duties then I don't give a poo poo about punctuality or when you work generally. Just get your poo poo done when it needs to be done.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Of the 4 points he raised, the one I'm 100% on board with is having questions ready to ask at the end of the interview. If we're wrapping up an interview and I ask "do you have any questions for me", and you stammer as though that's the first time you've encountered that question, we're done. Ask *something*, jesus christ. The amount of people who I interview who are just like "oh uh, no, I guess not, um, yeah I think, yeah, no"

Holy poo poo just lob me a softball about "what are some interesting projects that the company is working on right now" or something, jesus.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
There's definitely a difference between "merciless" and "no-bullshit". Merciless implies you're a hardass to even the good candidates just to make them sweat it out a bit and force them into a pressure situation. If a candidate shows up on time, well dressed, with extra copies of their resume and questions ready to go and you lean back a little bit to have a meaningful interview, I wouldn't classify you as merciless.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

You can be a bad person and still be on time.

I'm on time for job interviews at the least.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Of the 4 points he raised, the one I'm 100% on board with is having questions ready to ask at the end of the interview. If we're wrapping up an interview and I ask "do you have any questions for me", and you stammer as though that's the first time you've encountered that question, we're done. Ask *something*, jesus christ. The amount of people who I interview who are just like "oh uh, no, I guess not, um, yeah I think, yeah, no"

Holy poo poo just lob me a softball about "what are some interesting projects that the company is working on right now" or something, jesus.

I am really truly awful at asking questions in interviews :(

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm on time for job interviews at the least.
"I'm Inspector_666 and this is the last time you're going to see me at 8:30am"

Hired.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"I'm Inspector_666 and this is the last time you're going to see me at 8:30am"

Hired.

That's pretty much the truth. I'm honest about it though, that's approximately what I say when I get asked what my biggest weakness is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

That's pretty much the truth. I'm honest about it though, that's approximately what I say when I get asked what my biggest weakness is.

Greatest strength: not bound by conventional rules of temporality.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NippleFloss posted:

Greatest strength: not bound by conventional rules of temporality.

I'll be 5 minutes late but I'm also not a clock watcher who is always out the door at 6 on the dot so make your call, hiring person.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

One question I've been thinking about lately - I don't have the wording quite right, but the basic sentiment is there - is something along the lines of "every job has its ups and downs, what do you believe are going to be my biggest frustrations in this role?". If you're not feeling a "I've got this job" vibe you can skip it, or preface it with a "what is the most rewarding part of the job?" question to do a pro and con type thing. But I like that "biggest frustrations" line just to get some real insight into the job.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite question for the end of interviews is "How is IT perceived by the rest of the company, how does it fit within the company?". It offers some great insight into management personalities. Like the former IT director I had who was just such a classic bullshitter. He waxed poetic about how integral IT was to the company. The other guy who was to be my direct supervisor in an earlier interview basically said we get walked all over, etc. Just an interesting open question for interviewers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My favorite question for the end of interviews is "How is IT perceived by the rest of the company, how does it fit within the company?". It offers some great insight into management personalities. Like the former IT director I had who was just such a classic bullshitter. He waxed poetic about how integral IT was to the company. The other guy who was to be my direct supervisor in an earlier interview basically said we get walked all over, etc. Just an interesting open question for interviewers.

You could ask "what are the biggest challenges your company/department/team/squad/group is facing?"

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Having been on both sides, I've found that open-ended questions are best, ex:
- What do things look like for the next 12-24 months for the department/company? (read: is there a plan?)
- What's are things you wish you'd known when you started? (read: tell me the issues with the company/department/job in a good way)
- What's the team like? (read: who am I working with, anyway?)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I always ask the "If I'm hired, what is one thing you'll have me focus on from day one?" or alternatively asked to non-managers "What would you like me to take off of your plate when I start?" In my experience it's given a very good representation of the day-to-day feel of the job.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
These are all pretty reasonable IMO.

1) Being on time. - I will CUT you if you're late. But I live in a smaller city than most.

2) Having no spelling/grammar errors on your resume - We have BOTH failed if your lovely resume gets to a hiring manager.

3) Being well groomed/appropriately dressed - You'd be surprised how often people look at me like "wuhhh" when I ask if they have an interview suit. (east coast, non-startup opps) Trim your loving beard, hipster.

4) Being prepared (extra resumes, having questions to ask me during the interview) - I've never expected people to have extra resumes. I've emailed them the resume and they have printing capabilites.

DO: Have questions. Show you're interested in the company, in what they do beyond your little cog in the machine. Ask about their projects, ask about their challenges, ask them what THEY like about working at the company. "Gee, Mr. Hiring Manager, what gets you excited about coming in every morning?"

DON'T: Ask self-centered questions in the first interview - vacation, benefits, etc. Unless they offer the info of course. Make the early stages all about what you can offer them. Win.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dark Helmut posted:

DON'T: Ask self-centered questions in the first interview - vacation, benefits, etc. Unless they offer the info of course. Make the early stages all about what you can offer them. Win.

Ehhhhhhh if you're interviewing with a department manager, why not ask these things? I'm not here to serve the company and graciously accept benefits they're bestowing upon me. I'm interviewing the company too and I typically find that my interviewer is ready and prepared with benefits information, and appreciates clearing the air about those kinds of things.

Plus, you can give them a good vibe when they go over benefits and you act happy about them, even if they suck.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A lot of companies want you to act interested in the job. If you aren't asking these questions, they think you don't care enough to stick around, or are just going to use the job for an income long enough to jump ship.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Dark Helmut posted:

These are all pretty reasonable IMO.

1) Being on time. - I will CUT you if you're late. But I live in a smaller city than most.

2) Having no spelling/grammar errors on your resume - We have BOTH failed if your lovely resume gets to a hiring manager.

3) Being well groomed/appropriately dressed - You'd be surprised how often people look at me like "wuhhh" when I ask if they have an interview suit. (east coast, non-startup opps) Trim your loving beard, hipster.

4) Being prepared (extra resumes, having questions to ask me during the interview) - I've never expected people to have extra resumes. I've emailed them the resume and they have printing capabilites.

DO: Have questions. Show you're interested in the company, in what they do beyond your little cog in the machine. Ask about their projects, ask about their challenges, ask them what THEY like about working at the company. "Gee, Mr. Hiring Manager, what gets you excited about coming in every morning?"

I love you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I only lasted one day since yesterday's "my job has evaporated" post, but I've already brought it up with my boss. Stupid me, never letting a good thing last.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

It's a pretty heated debate on point #4. I err on the side of "why risk it" for that? I get pulled into interviews occasionally, and while I know how the printer works, I may have literally not seen your resume and the person before me took notes on it and kept it. Now I'm sitting there without one. I do compliment people on their nice paper if they use it, but I really don't care if it's on bulk paper they stole from their current job. That being said if you have grammatical errors or simple spelling mistakes that spell check would have caught I'm going to tell you.

I think it's silly to not ask questions about the full benefits package. It shows long term vision of your role in the company. People who don't take vacations burn out. I simply don't trust them. You likely will know this stuff before setting foot for the first interview if your recruiter is doing their job.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ehhhhhhh if you're interviewing with a department manager, why not ask these things? I'm not here to serve the company and graciously accept benefits they're bestowing upon me. I'm interviewing the company too and I typically find that my interviewer is ready and prepared with benefits information, and appreciates clearing the air about those kinds of things.

Plus, you can give them a good vibe when they go over benefits and you act happy about them, even if they suck.

I get your point. I guess to me it's more about increasing your negotiating position first to me.

You're right, the interview is about both parties finding a fit. I'm just saying in most cases I want to win first, want them to know they want me, before I worry about benefits/perks. This isn't going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. There will be plenty of interviews where it flows to that conversation. It's a pretty good sign if they come out trying to dangle their benefits in your face.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

H110Hawk posted:

It's a pretty heated debate on point #4. I err on the side of "why risk it" for that? I get pulled into interviews occasionally, and while I know how the printer works, I may have literally not seen your resume and the person before me took notes on it and kept it. Now I'm sitting there without one. I do compliment people on their nice paper if they use it, but I really don't care if it's on bulk paper they stole from their current job. That being said if you have grammatical errors or simple spelling mistakes that spell check would have caught I'm going to tell you.

I think it's silly to not ask questions about the full benefits package. It shows long term vision of your role in the company. People who don't take vacations burn out. I simply don't trust them. You likely will know this stuff before setting foot for the first interview if your recruiter is doing their job.

It can't hurt to have resumes I suppose. I've just never advised it and it hasn't burned me yet. You're right about the vacation thing, most cases I've advised them about the basics of benefits going in. I guess my point is not to harp on that stuff too hard rather than to avoid it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So we were supposed to have a candidate interview today but he hasn't shown up or called or anything...

What's a forgivable grace period for tardiness without notice?

We had a candidate interview scheduled for 3:00PM, it's now 3:06 and the doorbell hasn't rang. I'm not exactly worried about him even showing up; how his resume made it past my boss is beyond me. 4 pages(!!!), 4 different fonts, inconsistent style throughout, 10-15 bullet points per job when 6-7 would do, the list goes on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

devmd01 posted:

We had a candidate interview scheduled for 3:00PM, it's now 3:06 and the doorbell hasn't rang. I'm not exactly worried about him even showing up; how his resume made it past my boss is beyond me. 4 pages(!!!), 4 different fonts, inconsistent style throughout, 10-15 bullet points per job when 6-7 would do, the list goes on.

Maybe your list is 4-8 bullet points too long :colbert:

Maybe it's just me but I always feel more professional holding a binder or professional looking folder for an interview. I bring letters of recommendation, printed certificates, and put resumes at the back. Then if they ask for a resume I can flip through my portfolio of goodness just a tad too slow so they can get a glance at the goods, and look extra prepared.

Not that I would hand any of that poo poo over and expect it to help but it feels better than just standing there waiting for the interview to start with my hands in my pockets.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm very similar to the above: I've got a nice leather folio that holds a couple extra résumé copies, a blank pad of paper, and a nice pen so I can take notes during our discussion. Makes writing down the names of people super-easy during the interview, too. It's got an extra pocket or two for business cards or having parking validated, too. It's a nice professional accessory that helps get me in an interview mindset and keep everything together.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Pair it with a nice set of white gloves and you're all set.

I kid, nothing wrong with a leather folio

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devmd01 posted:

At least you know where to start a new google search for each section they copy and pasted.

A page a decade or get out. You better be a loving rock star to be on 2 pages 5 years into your career. If I knew where my resume was it would likely be one page and I am at 16 years. Also get off my lawn.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
2 pages across the board, unless you're RIGHT at the beginning. But after that, 2 pages for the rest of your life.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're going to be late for an interview, call someone who can notify the people conducting said interview. You know, much like you'd do with any appointment where someone was setting aside time for you.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I only lasted one day since yesterday's "my job has evaporated" post, but I've already brought it up with my boss. Stupid me, never letting a good thing last.

Sitting around with nothing to do is pretty boring and not all that great anyway. It's the reason I'm looking for a new job.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Some basics:

If you don't get everything important onto the first page, just assume they will never read the rest. Club them over the head. On the first page I want the questions answered: Who are you, what do you do, and where have you used your skills lately? Use a summary rather than an objective. No one cares what YOU want, they are reviewing resumes to solve THEIR problems. Show in the summary what you bring to the table.

List big skills right after the summary, or if you're a dev you can list them by including an "Environment" bullet at the end of every job.

For the love of gently caress, use BULLET POINTS. No one is going to read your book.

There are lots of tricks to making room on the first page. Put your best certs behind your name so you don't need to list all of them up front. (ex. Dark Helmut, CSM MBA) Don't use an enormous font. 11pt works great. Mind your spacing. Don't include your mailing address, no one is going to mail you poo poo. (maybe put your city/st to show you're local if it isn't obvious from your job history)

I'll submit resumes at 1-5 pages, but only because it gets exhausting trying to convince people that the rest of their resume needs to be an outline rather than a novel.

If you use frames in your resume, I dislike you greatly. Make it easy on yourself (and me) and just do it manually. It will be so much easier 5-10 years from now when the new version of word screws up your old formatting and makes it impossible to add a new job that looks consistent.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dark Helmut posted:

If you use frames in your resume, I dislike you greatly. Make it easy on yourself (and me) and just do it manually. It will be so much easier 5-10 years from now when the new version of word screws up your old formatting and makes it impossible to add a new job that looks consistent.
Look at this scrub not telling everyone to make a resume in LaTeX :colbert:

(I assume it's actually super uncommon if you haven't come from graduate education or a heavy math undergrad, but it's customizable and gorgeous and easy.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(I assume it's actually super uncommon if you haven't come from graduate education or a heavy math undergrad, but it's customizable and gorgeous and easy.)
It's so customizable that you can render the same source twice and get two completely different outputs. It customizes it for you!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's more because I'm not a turbonerd

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vulture Culture posted:

It's so customizable that you can render the same source twice and get two completely different outputs. It customizes it for you!
Definitely not disagreeing with this. It's a cantankerous piece of poo poo that somehow became the standard and I wish it would die and get replaced by something better. Even using LyX doesn't ameliorate much of the problem - they have a very skewed definition of WYSIWYG to claim that they accompllish it - and stuff like Scientific Workplace is even worse... but it's still gorgeous once you get it just work dammit.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's more because I'm not a turbonerd
Is that not a plus in the job search?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

2 pages across the board, unless you're RIGHT at the beginning. But after that, 2 pages for the rest of your life.

I agree, but at the same time I'm willing to compromise. Sometimes people have very interesting work early in their career. I feel this allows people to scale, while keeping a sane maximum for the first 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got 2 pages, but I put the job stuff on the first page, college is on the second page. That's how someone (DarkHelmut?) told me to do it in the resume thread.

1 month until I get my associate's. I really hope that starts opening more doors. I've been unemployed for 3 months now. I'm desperate enough I applied to the job that I :yotj:ed the gently caress out of when I started having to work 12 days per week. I'm just hoping they've gotten staffing under control in the year since then.