Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

not to imply this is the only reason why people defend tfa or anything — given that i prefer to think of other humans as whole beings with their own subjectivity — but there was a massive movie-industrial complex behind it that basically told star wars fans "YOU WILL LIKE THIS THING" nonstop, 24/7, with maximum saturation. should people feeling a strong, personal connection to it after such a campaign be surprising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

High Lord Elbow posted:

I hope Episode 8 reveals that Rey actually failed hard in TFA when Luke chastises her for giving in to hate when she lost her poo poo on Kylo. You can almost hear Sheev cackling with glee at her murderous rage.

"Yeah, well, I'm alive unlike the rest of your students, you old queen."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Homework Explainer posted:

is that thought countermanded by anything in the prequels, besides the jedi asserting their own position? i admit i haven't watched them in a while.

It does nothing to either suggest OR countermand this thought. It's a perfectly valid fan theory, but the intended twist was that Anakin fulfilled the prophecy when he killed the Emprah.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He's still got a good track record I think. Despite the general smuggery of prequel defenders in this thread I still dig them (the prequels I mean).

His best film is still THX.

:agreed:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

THX is great, and I love the moment where there's an awesome car chase out of nowhere and it's like, "oh, yeah, George Lucas."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

They may as well have called them Flash Gordon, and the Return of Flash Gordon for all the resemblance they bore to actual Star Trek. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing, and that's born out in everything from the story, through the visuals, and down to the miscasting. Karl Urban is the only one who got close to it.

No? It's literally just an episode of original Star Trek but this time with actual special effects and a huge budget. Of course none of the characters are the same as in the original TV show because this is when they just graduated from the academy. Kirk is still young and inexperienced. When the TV show started, Kirk was a decorated officer of Star Fleet who was well respected. ST09 takes place long before that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I said come in! posted:

No? It's literally just an episode of original Star Trek but this time with actual special effects and a huge budget

and replacing all of the story and nuance with special effects and action scenes. Take away the names and put them in a different shaped ship, and there was nothing at all in there that resembled Star Trek. Abrams just did not understand the IP, and it's blatantly obvious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NTRabbit posted:

So do I - hopefully it leans a lot more on what Star Wars Rebels is doing, because that's currently the best Star Wars going around, it leaves TFA in its wake.

http://i.imgur.com/ySUsp1M.webm

Nah just kidding, silly repulsorlift spin-sabers aside, Rebels is pretty good, IMO. "TFA in its wake" good, maybe not though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah just kidding, silly repulsorlift spin-sabers aside, Rebels is pretty good, IMO. "TFA in its wake" good, maybe not though.

We try not to talk about the Inquisicoptors :ssh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Rebels is so ugly though
Also I haven't watched it recently but did they rez Maul again or something wtf

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Beam Rotors are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4HsHt09V0

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

he's a competent director but has yet to develop anything resembling a visual style or thematic through line. at least nolan and snyder are consistently fascist, abrams could only manage one nazi propaganda movie before returning to beige non-politics.

I'd take whatever Abrams is over Snyder's "consistently bad" any day of the week, thanks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

and replacing all of the story and nuance with special effects and action scenes. Take away the names and put them in a different shaped ship, and there was nothing at all in there that resembled Star Trek. Abrams just did not understand the IP, and it's blatantly obvious.

What story? Original Star Trek was about beating up fake looking costume lizards. Nothing really got interesting until the original movies came out. The Next Generation had all of the nuance and character. The best thing about original ST was the diverse cast of characters.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

not to imply this is the only reason why people defend tfa or anything — given that i prefer to think of other humans as whole beings with their own subjectivity — but there was a massive movie-industrial complex behind it that basically told star wars fans "YOU WILL LIKE THIS THING" nonstop, 24/7, with maximum saturation. should people feeling a strong, personal connection to it after such a campaign be surprising?
I mean..... Is there a marketing campaign that tells fans of a property YOU WILL HATE THIS THING? It was awhile ago, but I dare suggest TPM's marketing probably appealed to Star Wars fans.

The only opinion that I have trouble accepting in this thread (and this does not appear to apply to you) is 'it was entertaining, but empty and meaningless and poorly made'. Then how on earth was it entertaining? Did people, *gasp*, turn off their brains??

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels is so ugly though

Maul is the cockroach of the Star Wars universe, he'll never die.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels is so ugly though

Maul was still alive at the end of Clone Wars. This was just his return.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels is so ugly though

He survived the Clone Wars tv show, got a new disney canon novel called Son of Dathomir (that told what would have been his story in the cancelled Clone Wars season) which he also lived through, and then appeared in the Rebels season 2 finale, which he also survived, because

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maul is the cockroach Boba Fett of the Star Wars universe, he'll never die.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The real question is, knowing he's free now and J J Abrams is a fan, when do we get a Hideo Kojima Star Wars video game/movie?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I like who you're just the sole arbiter of if my examples are "good enough"'or not. Whatever. Don't go see Rogue One. I don't really care.

This isn't hard. Just look at your examples, and ask yourself, "Do these elements significantly complicate or expand the story thas come before?".

You didn't even pick the most interesting parts of TFA, which makes me question if you actually like The Force Awakens. For example, the cold war is barely explored, so it's hardly interesting. Let's look at some of the more interesting aspects of the story:

There's a heroic stormtrooper... but he defects immediately, thus simplifying the story.

Father and son are different sides of a conflict... but this was already in the OT.

A legendary jedi master and war hero is hiding in obscurity... but Obi-Wan already filled that role.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 7, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Rebels is so ugly though

Clone Wars did, which is good because Maul is the best

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oh I guess it was his brother that got killed in Clone Wars then

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still accurate though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Gosh what a shame we won't be seeing any more of ol' SAVAGE OPPRESS, the best named character of all time.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Havelock Ellis posted:

I'm just gonna say again that Donnie Yen as Space Zatoichi is cool and v. Lucas. Gareth Edwards is also good, this will be a good film.

Agreedo.

I like Gareth Edwards' other movies, and most other Star Wars movies, so I expect to enjoy this one as well. I have also enjoyed Donnie Yen and Forest Whitaker in movies. This movie has a lot going for it in my opinion.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Seriously. He's approaching Apophis from Stargate levels of "no-one could have survived that!".

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 7, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CelticPredator posted:

Look at this visual story telling. Look at it and be amazed.

and at the end

A character arc in 3 frames as told by Lines.

So this dude is gonna betray everyone right?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd take whatever Abrams is over Snyder's "consistently bad" any day of the week, thanks

i dunno how you got "snyder is better" from that, but whatever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This isn't hard. Just look at your examples, and ask yourself, "Do these elements significantly complicate or expand the story thas come before?".

You didn't even pick the most interesting parts of TFA, which makes me question if you actually like The Force Awakens. For example, the cold war is barely explored, so it's hardly interesting. Let's look at some of the more interesting aspects of the story:

There's a heroic stormtrooper... but he defects immediately, thus simplifying the story.

Father and son are different sides of a conflict... but this was already in the OT.

A legendary jedi master and war hero is hiding in obscurity... but Obi-Wan already filled that role.

The problem is that you wanted the movie to be one thing and it was something else entirely. The fault is with you, not the film. Finn was great because instead of showing him escaping from the First Order, it explores him discovering his humanity for the first time. The most interesting thing about him was the subtext of how he feels he has to lie and cling onto people, clearly an effect of the abuse he endured while being conditioned to be a stormtrooper for the First Order. He is a survivor of slavery and abuse, making him the most interesting stormtrooper in the movies.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Dexo posted:

Absolutely. You can see a a lot of rings double crossing behind him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yes, I loved the Force Awakens.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dexo posted:

He's gonna touch a titty

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

The problem is that you wanted the movie to be one thing

How so? I didn't say I wanted Finn to remain with the First Order or whatever. I said that TFA doesn't add to the story of Star Wars, exemplified by how the "heroic stormtrooper" angle doesn't really complicate or expand the story.

jivjov posted:

Yes, I loved the Force Awakens.

Yet you are unable to say what there is to like about it. It seems you're trying to convince yourself more than me.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your examples don't matter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Your examples don't matter.

Yes? That's what I said. What TFA brings to the table ultimately doesn't matter, because it's all recycled.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Yet you are unable to say what there is to like about it. It seems you're trying to convince yourself more than me.

As if it weren't before, your autism is reaching critical mass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yes? That's what I said. What TFA brings to the table ultimately doesn't matter, because it's all recycled.

No it's not, other then a few minor themes, TFA brings tons of original ideas. You just chose not to see that, again that's your problem. TFA brings whole new characters to the universe, but that's not what you personally wanted, you don't want a character driven saga even though that is what Star Wars is all about. You want the politics and the behind the scenes stuff explained, you're gonna have to get that in other material tho. TFA is about Rey and Finn.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 7, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A black storm trooper who is a main speaking character?

Recycled, ham handed , bantha doo doo!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did anyone stop for a second to ask why spinning blades would lift you up?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

TFA brings tons of original ideas.

Give examples.

Anakin and Luke were already heroes who escaped from destitution, and in Anakin's case from slavery, and joined a cause.

e:

quote:

TFA brings whole new characters to the universe,

Please name the ones that don't just fill a role defined in the previous movies (i.e., "whole new").

quote:

TFA brings whole new characters to the universe, but that's not what you personally wanted, you don't want a character driven saga even though that is what Star Wars is all about.

Where did I not want that?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

A black storm trooper who is a main speaking character?

Recycled, ham handed , bantha doo doo!!

The making of documentary confirmed there are even other female stormtroopers besides Captain Phasma.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The making of documentary confirmed there are even other female stormtroopers besides Captain Phasma.

Millennial diversity tokenism does not make a sequel great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Did anyone stop for a second to ask why spinning blades would lift you up?

Yeah, which is why it's repulsors in the handle or some poo poo

• Locked thread