Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dispatch_async posted:

Blairites have found the one weird trick to solve offshore tax issues and make the wealthy eager to pay taxes: Scrapping inheritance tax.

Actually it should be 100% with some allowance to let people pass on items of sentimental value. At one point I'd have said a high enough allowance to let people pass on their house to their kids, but tbh who except the rich can even buy a house worth passing on these days.

e: April 28th, 1945: Benito Mussolini, father of fascism, sets an excellent example for all his followers when he is executed by an antifa firing squad.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah it definitely smells like there is more to this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
In non pink-rubbery-tax-dodging-gently caress news, more loving over of the poor;

Conservative council set to fine homeless people £50 for begging posted:

Worthing Council is set to fine homeless people £50 if they beg for money in the street, using controversial legislation introduced in 2014.

A council committee has recommended the Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) for approval at a council meeting later this month, in a move branded "disgusting" by local campaigners.

Introduced in 2014, PSPOs are commonly described as "ASBOs for public places". They enable councils to criminalise normally legal actions within a given area.

The Conservative-run council is also set to introduce PSPOs against public drinking and camping in the town centre at the meeting on 19 April, following the recommendation of its own committee.

A petition against the PSPO, started by the Worthing People's Assembly, has been signed by 5,000 people.

A spokesperson for the People's Assembly told The Independent: “When we presented facts, the fact that more than 5,000 oppose these plans, they were swiped away. It's disgusting.

"We are all just a few events away from homelessness. PSPOs will not help homeless people, but give them a criminal record, making it harder to find jobs and rental accommodation."

Hackney Council was forced to scrap a similar PSPO in June last year after a public outcry. Pop star Ellie Goulding joined the campaign, saying: "Some councils in England have decided to treat homeless people as though they are criminals."

However, as many as one in 10 local authorities still target rough sleepers and people begging for money using PSPOs.

John Mitchell, Director for Communities at Adur & Worthing Councils, said: "This is a proposal which tackles anti-social begging behaviour by anyone, regardless of their domestic status. Begging is a criminal activity."

Speaking at the meeting where the Worthing PSPO was recommended for approval, Council Leader Daniel Humphreys said: “I don’t care if they are homeless or have a million pounds stashed away in Panama.

“I have a young daughter and I don’t want her thinking should I or should I not go into Worthing because they are acting in such a foul manner.

“There should be a resounding message: ‘no, you should not and will not act in such an appalling way in our town'."
Source: Indy

Holy loving poo poo.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
£300 less than the capital gains allowance seams rather convenient

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I know the most expedient answer.

Cam sold the shares to his disabled and dead child in utero, and still kept claiming carer's allowance

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pesky Splinter posted:

In non pink-rubbery-tax-dodging-gently caress news, more loving over of the poor;

Source: Indy

Holy loving poo poo.

Ahhhhahahahahhaa what the poo poo this is stupider than asking the NHS to take loans to pay wages then fining them for not paying them back. And that was p. loving stupid.

How the gently caress is fining someone 50 quid WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ANY loving MONEY ever going to work?!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It'll go nowhere because the slimy fucker seems to weasel out of every gently caress up but I will continue to hope that this revelation combined with the £9m leaflet mailing to stay in the EU will lead to Pigfucker's downfall.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

thespaceinvader posted:

How the gently caress is fining someone 50 quid WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ANY loving MONEY ever going to work?!

well then you fine them even more for not being able to pay their fines, simple

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Angepain posted:

well then you throw in a privately run for-profit prison for not being able to pay their fines, simple

Just like they do in america

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's incredible his argument is basically "Don't want those ghastly poors pauping up the place". Just fine them even more for not being able to pay the fine. Problem solved. :suicide:

Has he loving time-travelled or something from the Victorian age!?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Ahhhhahahahahhaa what the poo poo this is stupider than asking the NHS to take loans to pay wages then fining them for not paying them back. And that was p. loving stupid.

They are giving this a go here in Chelmsford. Other councils are trying to use it to criminalise skateboarding in high streets and assembly of two people or more in public . Even Gadaffi didn't manage that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Trickjaw posted:

They are giving this a go here in Chelmsford. Other councils are trying to use it to criminalise skateboarding in high streets and assembly of two people or more in public . Even Gadaffi didn't manage that.

Top authoritarian award is still probably Salford though, where it's 'illegal' to use foul or abusive language in public around MediaCity in Salford Quays.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

namesake posted:

Top authoritarian award is still probably Salford though, where it's 'illegal' to use foul or abusive language in public around MediaCity in Salford Quays.

loving cunting rat cocks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I love the people going "But it was legal what's the problem"? Ignoring Cameron went to the EU to make sure they didn't pass a law making this sort of poo poo illegal.

On reflection we should have spotted that Cameron's first act when coming to power was to retroactively legalize sex acts on any legally purchased pork products.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's incredible his argument is basically "Don't want those ghastly poors pauping up the place". Just fine them even more for not being able to pay the fine. Problem solved. :suicide:

Has he loving time-travelled or something from the Victorian age!?

There's something on tv right now called "Workers or Shirkers? Ian Hislop's Victorian Benefits"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

quote:

I don’t care if they are homeless or have a million pounds stashed away in Panama. I have a young daughter and I don’t want her thinking should I or should I not go into Worthing because they are acting in such a foul manner. There should be a resounding message: ‘no, you should not and will not act in such an appalling way in our town'.

Can we start a goon project to murder this man, please?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

How damaging is the data the guardian got for Cameron to literally preventively admit lying, just a few days after denying everything?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

baka kaba posted:

There's something on tv right now called "Workers or Shirkers? Ian Hislop's Victorian Benefits"

I hear IDS is on it too!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

quote:

“There should be a resounding message: ‘no, you should not and will not act in such an appalling way in our town'."

Yes, there should be

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

I can't watch it right now, but that's where that clip of IDS crying crocodile tears is from.

mrpwase posted:

Before posting it I had to check the date, because I genuinely thought the article was an April Fools article when I got to his quote, because it felt too unbelieveable and too much of a Tory stereotype.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

"Ian Hislop's Victorian Benefits"
He's going to get cholera?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Apparently the 'greenest government ever' has decided it can make do without a climate change envoy. Never mind, I'm sure we'll sort the climate out once all this tax business is out of the way.

In fairness shutting down heavy industry is pretty ecological.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Actually it should be 100% with some allowance to let people pass on items of sentimental value. At one point I'd have said a high enough allowance to let people pass on their house to their kids, but tbh who except the rich can even buy a house worth passing on these days.

e: April 28th, 1945: Benito Mussolini, father of fascism, sets an excellent example for all his followers when he is executed by an antifa firing squad.

I couldn't even begin to pay for my home. In fact I'm probably the definitive example that they roll out when they talk about Inheritance Tax reform, because were it not for me having already bought half of it, I'd have had to sell it to pay the tax when my dad died in January. This house has way more sentimental value than anything else (inanimate) in my life, being the one I spent most of my childhood in, and why should it be allowed to fall into the hands of the buy-to-let crowd rather than staying a family home?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Toplowtech posted:

How damaging is the data the guardian got for Cameron to literally preventively admit lying, just a few days after denying everything?

No idea, but it's hugely damaging to Corbyn. He should resign imo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I couldn't even begin to pay for my home. In fact I'm probably the definitive example that they roll out when they talk about Inheritance Tax reform, because were it not for me having already bought half of it, I'd have had to sell it to pay the tax when my dad died in January. This house has way more sentimental value than anything else (inanimate) in my life, being the one I spent most of my childhood in, and why should it be allowed to fall into the hands of the buy-to-let crowd rather than staying a family home?

Well when all the houses go to the state on the death of their owners the social housing supply could rather improve, couldn't it? Even if people sell their homes off before their deaths for the cash instead, it still brings prices way down because their beneficiaries who would have been sitting on a bunch of property thy could exploit for profit no longer are, and it's presumably much harder to build up a vast property empire when you don't have the advantage of inheriting vast swathes of Scotland (like the Duke of Westminster, for instance). So you'd be much more likely to be able to afford to actually buy your childhood home if that's important to you.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Assuming you didn't buy half, what claim would you have to it besides having lived in it? Would that claim be any more valid than the claim of someone living in a council house?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
April 8th is the Anniversary of Thatcher's Death. If someone gets Cameron to resign tomorrow can it be made into a UKMT national holiday?

It all seems to be blowing over now though, so I guess they got out from the worst of i-

http://www.channel4.com/news/george-osborne-family-business-6m-deal-with-offshore-firm

quote:

Chancellor George Osborne, who owns a 15% stake in his family’s business Osborne & Little Group Ltd, ‘personally benefited’ from the sale of £6m worth of property to a company based in the British Virgin Islands – a well-known tax haven.

quote:

David Quentin, a Barrister and Senior Advisor to the Tax Justice Network said that Osborne & Little were fully aware that they were dealing with a company based in an offshore tax-haven, stating:

It’s quite clear that we’re dealing with an offshore company. If you look at this agreement, you see that the buyer company is named and then it’s expressly described as incorporated in the British Virgin Islands.”

He added that by basing itself in the British Virgin Islands, Nightingale Mews Inc would have avoided any tax on profits it made.

Instead of paying UK tax on that profit, it would be able to realise that profit tax free

:allears:

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Well when all the houses go to the state on the death of their owners the social housing supply could rather improve, couldn't it? Even if people sell their homes off before their deaths for the cash instead, it still brings prices way down because their beneficiaries who would have been sitting on a bunch of property thy could exploit for profit no longer are, and it's presumably much harder to build up a vast property empire when you don't have the advantage of inheriting vast swathes of Scotland (like the Duke of Westminster, for instance). So you'd be much more likely to be able to afford to actually buy your childhood home if that's important to you.

I personally wouldn't mind a qualitative income tax exception. You can inherit one house tax free if you don't already own one, or if you are willing to sell your current one to the government.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Can we tile this as the background for this thread?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

I personally wouldn't mind a qualitative income tax exception. You can inherit one house tax free if you don't already own one, or if you are willing to sell your current one to the government.

I'd want some recognition of the fact that some houses are nicer than others to be incorporated. I don't think 'having always lived in a mansion', or otherwise particularly desirable location, is enough reason to carry on being so lucky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

I'd want some recognition of the fact that some houses are nicer than others to be incorporated. I don't think 'having always lived in a mansion', or otherwise particularly desirable location, is enough reason to carry on being so lucky.

Eh, I'm not too worried about mansions being inherited. There aren't very many mansions and generally people who stand to inherit them already own property. If someone who doesn't own a house inherits a mansion, good for them.

Also not too bothered about people trading up via inheritance. The state gets a house out of it, or if the person doesn't feel like selling their own house/the state isn't willing to buy their current one, they can just pay the tax.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I remembered what that SovCit billboard had on the way home and lmao

http://legalnamefraud.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyct80HALzc

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Cameron has his eyes on a nice pork chop.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

That's not too unreasonable, although if your parents didn't own a house then you're still rather disadvantaged. Given that the aim is to make sure people have somewhere to live, letting them inherit a house that has value to them beyond the financial rather than only making houses more affordable in general and them having to buy it back seems OK. I'd want to put a maximum exempt value on it, though.

There was a story a couple years back when the Earl of Lonsdale put Blencathra up for sale to help pay off the inheritance tax (approx £9m) on his father's estate, and there was a whole big sob story along with it where he tried to drum up crowd funding to buy it. Have to admit I found it difficult to have much sympathy, I know getting the cash up front to pay the tax isn't necessarily easy, but at the end of it he was still getting eight figures of property for nothing thanks to an accident of birth.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mrpwase posted:

https://twitter.com/dan_humphreys

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilGenius posted:

Can we tile this as the background for this thread?
That's a horrible idea and I support it completely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Assuming you didn't buy half, what claim would you have to it besides having lived in it? Would that claim be any more valid than the claim of someone living in a council house?

Well I paid the mortgage on it for 7 years while my parents owned it because they were having financial problems, I've lived in it for over 20 years in total, and my family have lived here for coming on for 40 years. Inheritance tax doesn't pass the house back to the state for being recycled into council housing - I wouldn't mind that so much but if we're talking utopianism lets go back to the terms my parents lived under, where you could be a council tenant but sitll know you had the same assurance as a leaseholder, and I'd be happily living in a council flat somewhere else in Tower Hamlets rather than in pretty much the only house inside zone 2 I can afford on my wages.

Note that saying "Well why should you get to keep living there now that the area has gentrified?" or variations thereof will put you on the same side of the the argument as tentish klown, if that hateful little poo poo still posts here.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The problem with all this is, with our current government the state seems to be obsessed with selling off all the housing stock, presumably to assist with laundering the plundered blood money of warlords, drug dealers and third world dictators who spend their time whipping dissidents to death in their custom-built rape dungeons.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In happier news, Government abandons plans to put (figurative) foxes in charge of (literal) henhouses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

April 8th is the Anniversary of Thatcher's Death. If someone gets Cameron to resign tomorrow can it be made into a UKMT national holiday?

It all seems to be blowing over now though, so I guess they got out from the worst of i-

http://www.channel4.com/news/george-osborne-family-business-6m-deal-with-offshore-firm

:allears:

So the Prime Minister and Chancellor both took part in tax avoidance.

• Locked thread