Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I will wait until it finishes before making declarations on its quality

Oda's got a lot of work ahead of him if he thinks he's going to outdo "Duke Dogstorm."

I haven't seen anyone mention the bear on page 17 that's wearing a shirt that just says "BEER!" Magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Advice posted:

Totally nerding out at the prospect of combining the different poo poo everyone learned about during the timeskip. You'd think stuff like this would have happened right before/after Fishman Island, but I'm glad we get it at all. I always though Franky should have more of a hand in designing everyone's weapons.

Also lol at retconning Dr. Kureha into being some sort of medical expert so proficient that the entire Sakura Kingdom (only started since Chopper left, at the earliest) is known far and wide, including on Zou, for it's medical techniques. Obviously she's an amazing doctor, but I never got the idea other islands were in awe of her ability. I guess I can accept that nobody ever found out about her until she no longer had to hide from Wapol.

I'm pretty sure the Sakura Kingdom was always known for its doctors. Thing is, once Wapol took over, Kureha became the only doctor actually willing to treat people, the rest became Wapol's personal physicians.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Advice posted:

Totally nerding out at the prospect of combining the different poo poo everyone learned about during the timeskip. You'd think stuff like this would have happened right before/after Fishman Island, but I'm glad we get it at all. I always though Franky should have more of a hand in designing everyone's weapons.

Also lol at retconning Dr. Kureha into being some sort of medical expert so proficient that the entire Sakura Kingdom (only started since Chopper left, at the earliest) is known far and wide, including on Zou, for it's medical techniques. Obviously she's an amazing doctor, but I never got the idea other islands were in awe of her ability. I guess I can accept that nobody ever found out about her until she no longer had to hide from Wapol.

The Drum Kingdom was known worldwide for its medical techniques, which Wapol dominated by forming his private doctor squad and kicking out everyone else. Now that Wapol is off being a business tycoon, all the doctors are free to practice as they choose and the renamed Sakura Kingdom is famous for its doctors again. Kureha is just the leader of the doctors, not the only doctor. It's not a retcon in the slightest.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Even if the minks didn't know about the Sakura Kingdom, they surely would've asked Chopper where he learned medicine and assumed it was therefore a hub of medical knowledge. Not a big deal in my book.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Welcome to the Straw Hat Pirates, temporary allies Pedro and Pekoms. The madness is only going to get crazier from here on out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to the Straw Hat Pirates, temporary allies Pedro and Pekoms. The madness is only going to get crazier from here on out.

The first thing you should do is write down the definition of ally on a piece of paper. Look at what you've written and make sure it's as complete a definition as possible. Now burn the page and throw the ashes overboard, secure in the knowledge that you couldn't be more wrong. Embrace the coming madness or be overwhelmed.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The only thing better than Luffy railroading his allies and watching them come to accept it was having that get turned around on Luffy when he got his armada.

All aboard the crazy train.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Advice posted:

Uh, Drum Island has always been famous for its medical science. The whole reason the strawhats stopped there was because Nami was sick and they needed good doctors fast. And it's not just Kureha, Wapol had a big group of doctors following him around to keep him healthy, but they turned on him in the end.

This chapter was just a nice callback to that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JosephWongKS posted:

His name is Peropero now. :luffy:

:luffy: needs to be his reaction to enel not hurting him

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

The first thing you should do is write down the definition of ally on a piece of paper. Look at what you've written and make sure it's as complete a definition as possible. Now burn the page and throw the ashes overboard, secure in the knowledge that you couldn't be more wrong. Embrace the coming madness or be overwhelmed.
I honestly am looking forward to Pekoms and/or Pedro giving us the newest entry in the Enelface Library. :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know what the best part of that chapter was for certain, but it's probably either Pekoms being a turtle cat man or the dogs being obsessed with Brook because he's a skeleton.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Keep in mind that the Sakura kingdom is two years old by this point, and the old Isshi 20 were supposed to be crazy good doctors.

That said, I agree with this:

Shoren posted:

Even if the minks didn't know about the Sakura Kingdom, they surely would've asked Chopper where he learned medicine and assumed it was therefore a hub of medical knowledge. Not a big deal in my book.

Not because of the Sakura Kingdom stuff, but because they praised the pharmacology of the Torino Kingdom. Chopper knew what was what in the medical community to the point that he knew exactly who Dr. Hogback was, when no one else on the crew seemed to recognize the name. But even then he had no idea about the knowledge the Torino people had until he stumbled onto their library.

Maybe the Minks are more informed on the subject of South Blue medical sciences... or maybe Chopper just told them a bunch of stuff about what he was doing and where he learned it!

I mean, the Minks don't even know how to make Den Den Mushi. They're (understandably) not all that connected to the world.

On that subject, I loved that exchange where Robin mentioned there were a bunch of wild snails, and Franky offered to whip some up no problem, much to the astonishment of the Minks and Samurai... because the audience in this case is on the same level as the "primitive" people. We had no idea that was possible either!

Gyges posted:

Since I think it's still too soon for Reverie
Nah, it's totally time for Reverie. Keep in mind it's a story that will be told in half chapters between every arc for a while. Like the buildup to Ace's execution. We heard about Ace and Blackbeard in Drum, we met Ace at the start of Alabasta, Blackbeard showed up on Jaya, Ace hung out with Buggy after Skiypia, then he ran into Blackbeard after Enies Lobby, we learned he lost after Thriller Bark, and then Luffy only got involved directly after his adventures on Sabaody and Kuja island.

We've heard "Reverie is this year!" multiple times already- it was important to Fishman Island especially. Now it's time for us to see all our familiar kings on their way. Cobra and Vivi of Alabasta, Neptune and his kids from Fishman Island, Riku of Dressrossa, Elizabello II of Prodence... probably Dolton representing Sakura, maybe Iceburg representing Water 7 though I don't know if non-monarchies are invited... and those are just the heads of state who owe personal debts to the Strawhats. Reverie is going to own.

Those are a lot of people to follow in little inter-arc development bits. Adding another arc for Vivi on top of that seems like a bit much.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also get a strong feeling that Pekoms will be won over by Luffy and will try to convince Big Mom to ally with him or something over their shared love of food.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm...

Sure it is.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So what exactly did Nami loose from her power set?

Also where do you think Vivi's heading in the story? At first I thought she was invited to the wedding but that's just weird so it's got to be an unrelated lore dump adventure. Then again the Vinsmoke family could have ties to Alabastor

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
All I know from Reverie is that Wapol will be there since he is now the king of his own dark kingdom and that he will team up with the SH in some way since Oda likes doing that when previous villains return.

So that should be fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought Wapol headed a toy empire and wasn't any kind of king anymore?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So what exactly did Nami loose from her power set?

I think it's something she picked up from the timeskip that hasn't been revealed yet. Probably will be revealed when she has a major battle and she loses her main climatact or something.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tsob posted:

I thought Wapol headed a toy empire and wasn't any kind of king anymore?

After he made a zillion beli with his toys the World Nobles gave him a title and he established the :black101: Evil Black Drum Kingdom :black101:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Star Platinum posted:

After he made a zillion beli with his toys the World Nobles gave him a title and he established the :black101: Evil Black Drum Kingdom :black101:

Yep

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Allarion posted:

I think it's something she picked up from the timeskip that hasn't been revealed yet. Probably will be revealed when she has a major battle and she loses her main climatact or something.

I'm with Lpzie, I know exactly what that "magic wand" is for. :shlick:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm totally up for more Wapol. Oda made his power seriously fun to watch in action.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Can't remeber exactly but im pretty sure Wapol kicked child Vivi in the previous reverie. Maybe she hits him back this time

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Can't remeber exactly but im pretty sure Wapol kicked child Vivi in the previous reverie. Maybe she hits him back this time

You are entirely right. I doubt Wapol is going to turn up again, but then having every last character turn up again during the final stretch, ultimately being grateful to the main character for what he did for them, is a very, very shonen thing to do.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Reading the chapter again, something I forgot to mention before was that it was neat how Luffy was scaring Brook's soul out of him when he jumped off Zou with everyone in his arms.

Also, I think Vivi is leaving for Reverie. It's not much to go on, but the flavor text at the bottom says "Vivi makes a move?! The world moves?!" She says it's been so long since she has been to sea so that means she doesn't leave Alabasta often, therefore she must be leaving for a very important reason. The flavor text says the world is moving meaning something big is happening. Representatives from kingdoms all over the world will attend Reverie so that to me is the most likely reason.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Big Mom's wedding spectacular is gonna be at Reverie, perhaps?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys, it's just the usual 'Oh, big stuff is happening in the rest of the world' content that fills in time between arcs. Like Ace vs Blackbeard, Shanks meeting Whitebeard, and the knowledge that Blackbeard's crew is heading towards the Revolutionary Army with an intent to fight.

And no, one of the most infamous pirates in the world is not going to attend a meeting sponsored by the World Government and the Tenryuubito. Not in an official capacity anyway.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

Reading the chapter again, something I forgot to mention before was that it was neat how Luffy was scaring Brook's soul out of him when he jumped off Zou with everyone in his arms.

Also, I think Vivi is leaving for Reverie. It's not much to go on, but the flavor text at the bottom says "Vivi makes a move?! The world moves?!" She says it's been so long since she has been to sea so that means she doesn't leave Alabasta often, therefore she must be leaving for a very important reason. The flavor text says the world is moving meaning something big is happening. Representatives from kingdoms all over the world will attend Reverie so that to me is the most likely reason.

Random thought: what's to stop a pirate or Yonkou from raiding Reverie or nuking it? I'm assuming an Admiral or someone else as powerful will be in attendance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, it's just the usual 'Oh, big stuff is happening in the rest of the world' content that fills in time between arcs. Like Ace vs Blackbeard, Shanks meeting Whitebeard, and the knowledge that Blackbeard's crew is heading towards the Revolutionary Army with an intent to fight.

Yea, it'll almost certainly take place over several inter-arc periods with this just being the first entry in it, same as Ace took ages to have any climax (Alabasta to Marineford).

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Random thought: what's to stop a pirate or Yonkou from raiding Reverie or nuking it? I'm assuming an Admiral or someone else as powerful will be in attendance.

I assume the location would be a big deterrent since it takes place on heavily controlled marine land that's presumably fairly far from open sea. It'd be difficult to attack undetected and Marine HQ is really close so they can send reinforcments very easily.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Whitebeard and his allies still attacked Navy HQ and gave no fucks. Maybe Kaidou would want to attack to start the biggest war in history like he wants to? Dunno, just throwing out speculation.

Either way, I freaking love the "the world is turning!?" political development segments in One Piece. It's cool going from the micro-myopic view of the Straw Hats crew then shifting to the macro-view of these parts, like with the Elder Stars and Marine HQ meetings.

Still waiting on Green Bull to make his debut. I keep imagining a taller, thinner guy or smaller, bulkier guy in contrast to Fujitora. He's probably going to be another Japanese celebrity parody too. Maybe a reference to a famous Japanese boxer or wrestler?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Most pirates aren't crazy enough to declare war on the World Government, or are huge Emperor dudes at a standstill with the government. Of course not even Whitebeard went and attacked Impel Down or (replacement?)Enis Lobby. The Strawhats are mostly getting away with having declared war by being a small and mobile crew in a single ship that's hard to track. The few times they do huge, finger in the eye, things to the World Government they then go off on an uncharted course.

• Wreck up the place at Enis Lobby? Sail on up a geyser to cloud islands.
  • Attack a Celestial Dragon? Get blasted off to only Kuma knows where.
  • Attack Impel Down followed by Marine Headquarters? Take off in a sub and hide out on an island you aren't actually allowed on.
  • Hang out at Fishman Island while Smoker waits at the transition area between underwater and New World? Take a detour underwater current and follow some whales till you come up somewhere totally different and then follow an S.O.S to a different island than you would have gone.
  • Take out yet another Warlord while and admiral is hanging around? gently caress it, gonna meet up with some buddies on a roaming giant elephant no one can track.
  • After that head off separately to two different Emperor bases of power. When is the Government even going to get a chance?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 9, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gyges posted:

Most pirates aren't crazy enough to declare war on the World Government. The Strawhats are mostly getting away with having declared war by being a small and mobile crew in a single ship that's hard to track. The few times they do huge, finger in the eye, things to the World Government they then go off on an uncharted course.

Just wanna point out that Skypiea was before Water 7. And they spent quite a while hanging out back at the city after Enies Lobby, and the Marinbes did send a force that could have crushed the entire Strawhat crew without trying. Too bad for them (and lucky for Luffy) said force happened to be his grandpa.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tsob posted:

Yea, it'll almost certainly take place over several inter-arc periods with this just being the first entry in it, same as Ace took ages to have any climax (Alabasta to Marineford).

I assume the location would be a big deterrent since it takes place on heavily controlled marine land that's presumably fairly far from open sea. It'd be difficult to attack undetected and Marine HQ is really close so they can send reinforcments very easily.

Well fighting all the admirals is going to be much even for a yonko.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pureauthor posted:

Just wanna point out that Skypiea was before Water 7. And they spent quite a while hanging out back at the city after Enies Lobby, and the Marinbes did send a force that could have crushed the entire Strawhat crew without trying. Too bad for them (and lucky for Luffy) said force happened to be his grandpa.

You're right. Enies Lobby/Water 7 was followed up by getting lost in the Florian Triangle, shanghaied on a roaming island from South Blue, and then being led to Sabaody by a fishman and a mermaid.

Taking out the first Warlord and getting a 100 million beli bounty was followed by Skypiea.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

Most pirates aren't crazy enough to declare war on the World Government, or are huge Emperor dudes at a standstill with the government. Of course not even Whitebeard went and attacked Impel Down or (replacement?)Enis Lobby. The Strawhats are mostly getting away with having declared war by being a small and mobile crew in a single ship that's hard to track. The few times they do huge, finger in the eye, things to the World Government they then go off on an uncharted course.

• Attack a Celestial Dragon? Get blasted off to only Kuma knows where.
  • Attack Impel Down followed by Marine Headquarters? Take off in a sub and hide out on an island you aren't actually allowed on.
  • Hang out at Fishman Island while Smoker waits at the transition area between underwater and New World? Take a detour underwater current and follow some whales till you come up somewhere totally different and then follow an S.O.S to a different island than you would have gone.
  • Take out yet another Warlord while and admiral is hanging around? gently caress it, gonna meet up with some buddies on a roaming giant elephant no one can track.
  • After that head off separately to two different Emperor bases of power. When is the Government even going to get a chance?

If Jack is any indicator, then Kaidou and his subordinates are definitely crazy enough to launch a direct suicidal attack on the World Government/Navy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well fighting all the admirals is going to be much even for a yonko.

Whitebeard hosed up Akainu in a big way when they fought. He was almost comically stronger even in his already wounded state. IT took some extenuating circumstances for Akainu to do the amount of damage he did to the old dude.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Whitebeard and his allies still attacked Navy HQ and gave no fucks. Maybe Kaidou would want to attack to start the biggest war in history like he wants to? Dunno, just throwing out speculation.

Either way, I freaking love the "the world is turning!?" political development segments in One Piece. It's cool going from the micro-myopic view of the Straw Hats crew then shifting to the macro-view of these parts, like with the Elder Stars and Marine HQ meetings.

Still waiting on Green Bull to make his debut. I keep imagining a taller, thinner guy or smaller, bulkier guy in contrast to Fujitora. He's probably going to be another Japanese celebrity parody too. Maybe a reference to a famous Japanese boxer or wrestler?

Aren't the other 4 actors?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As for why they wouldn't, remember that even as Whitebeard was attacking Marine HQ, Kaidou was trying to flank him and only didn't bust the whole thing up because Shanks intervened to stop him. It'd be a nightmare to stage such an attack only to be hit in the back by another Emperor.

Honestly, the Emperors basically act as checks on one another

MoosinRound
Sep 5, 2011
Vivi hasn't been to sea since the last Reverie and Kidd is in lock up because they are using his magnetism to create artificial log posts which is why the minks were all like "WTF? how is Jack finding this place?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

MoosinRound posted:

Vivi hasn't been to sea since the last Reverie and Kidd is in lock up because they are using his magnetism to create artificial log posts which is why the minks were all like "WTF? how is Jack finding this place?!"

Vivi was at sea with the strawhats between the previous reverie and the upcoming one, and Kidd making new log poses would not help them find somewhere that does not show up on the log pose.