Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

I don't' know, she seems terrible and in a color combo that isn't exactly looking to be popular. Maybe there will be this control deck that turns her and the flickering eldrazi into the best deck ever. Just doesn't seem likely right now.

You know, I didn't even think about the interaction with her -2 and Displacer. That's actually... not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't' know, she seems terrible and in a color combo that isn't exactly looking to be popular. Maybe there will be this control deck that turns her and the flickering eldrazi into the best deck ever. Just doesn't seem likely right now.

If she's bad it'll be because RWx is bad, Nahiri herself is a very good planeswalker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If she's bad it'll be because RWx is bad, Nahiri herself is a very good planeswalker.

The tapped clause for both her creature and artifact destruction isn't great. The loot doesn't enable anything super good r/w outside of lightening bolt in the color pair. In all honestly she should have been mono white or something else instead of R/W.

I am having a hard time believing anything x/x/x will be good. The mana just sucks for 3 color decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I might be wrong, but I think the only way to get rid of enchantments at the moment outside of green is cub and unmaking. Seems weird to me.

Anguished Unmaking is probably going to be the most commonly played non-green thing that can remove enchantments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

The tapped clause for both her creature and artifact destruction isn't great. The loot doesn't enable anything super good r/w outside of lightening bolt in the color pair. In all honestly she should have been mono white or something else instead of R/W.

I am having a hard time believing anything x/x/x will be good. The mana just sucks for 3 color decks.

Repeatable Looting is a very powerful ability regardless of what it enables, especially on a card that can survive a swing on most attackers after 1 + activation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Only green and white ever get to remove enchantments anyway (e: excluding blue bounce stuff). I guess mono-white enchantment removal is less good than last standard but I guess they're no longer trying to hate on indestructible enchantments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Repeatable Looting is a very powerful ability regardless of what it enables, especially on a card that can survive a swing on most attackers after 1 + activation.

I can't agree with this especially when its on a 4 drop. This is a format with reality smasher and removal city. I can't think of a worse line of play than play her and looting without a payoff. She will probably be dead and a compete waste of a card and a turn.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Some Numbers posted:

So that means that Time Spiral drafts are soon, right?

Time Spiral isn't until May due to the pre-release of SOI on MTGO, but Time Spiral value at least got marginally better because Ancestral Visions is now a 20 ticket card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
SOI drafts are going to work like ISD drafts right? Got to show the which DFC cards are in the pack when opening.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I can't agree with this especially when its on a 4 drop. This is a format with reality smasher and removal city. I can't think of a worse line of play than play her and looting without a payoff. She will probably be dead and a compete waste of a card and a turn.

Reality Smasher can't even kill her if it's the only card they have down, I think if anything that's a point in her favour

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bugsy posted:

SOI drafts are going to work like ISD drafts right? Got to show the which DFC cards are in the pack when opening.

It depends on the judge at your store. The rule is that DFCs are public information, but lots of stores don't bother to say poo poo and just treat them like any other card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It also seems like a pretty good answer to Reality Smasher without going down a card.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It kind of annoys me when they intentionally make drafting online different than drafting in person, but I can't really think of a good solution in this case.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I disagree. She isn't good, but even if she was, Brad Nelson seems to think that the mana isn't goon enough to play RWc and I tend to agree with him. One more thing about this standard format is that Ojutai + Always watching is something that i'd be interested in doing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/my-picks-for-week-1/

Not a bad article and should help those who haven't didn't care enough to proxy stuff to play around with. I don't agree with him on all points, but I concede that the deck lists don't seem too terrible.

Funny enough, the g/w deck doesn't include a single d-command in the 75 and has the g/w midrange one has the g/w angel that mcmagic hated. Also it appears anything white has 4x declaration in stone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Not a bad article and should help those who haven't didn't care enough to proxy stuff to play around with. I don't agree with him on all points, but I concede that the deck lists don't seem too terrible.

Funny enough, the g/w deck doesn't include a single d-command in the 75 and has the g/w midrange one has the g/w angel that mcmagic hated. Also it appears anything white has 4x declaration in stone.

Sigarda is probably fine as a 1 of in that deck though idk if Languish will be around too much for that Humans list to be any good. I contend that the best Always Watching deck will be playing Ojutai.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

I disagree. She isn't good, but even if she was, Brad Nelson seems to think that the mana isn't goon enough to play RWc and I tend to agree with him. One more thing about this standard format is that Ojutai + Always watching is something that i'd be interested in doing.

I'm really confused as to why they put the madness enabler planeswalker in white. Absent more generically good red madness cards besides Fiery Temper I just don't see her being good either.

That said I'm totally trying her with Displacer in RCw Eldrazi. Maybe the mana can work if Displacer is the only white card...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently most decks can't afford to spend 2 mana on a clue but the most aggressive deck with no reach and very little staying power can? That seems very odd to me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Apparently most decks can't afford to spend 2 mana on a clue but the most aggressive deck with no reach and very little staying power can? That seems very odd to me.

it's like zoo lock you play very small efficient guys and spend excess mana on card draw :v:

I feel like the deck could try to use the new become immense though :v:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 7, 2016

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Angry Grimace posted:

It depends on the judge at your store. The rule is that DFCs are public information, but lots of stores don't bother to say poo poo and just treat them like any other card.

The only things that the Magic Tournament Rules say about drafting DFCs are that 1. you're not prohibited from revealing it to other players, and 2. when picked, they go on top of your pile of picks like any other card, and then they get covered up by the next pick. You're not automatically entitled to know if someone picked a DFC, you may not ask if someone picked a DFC, and so on.

Past that, it's up to the Tournament Organizer to specify any other procedures they think are appropriate—for instance, upon cracking packs, showing everyone at the table what DFCs your pack has for ~30 seconds or so, which isn't uncommon.

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Did that vanilla mythic ever turn up? Was it a frog in dungarees with a troubled past?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, we've been talking about that recently in local judge circles. Ideally, we'd like people to work to what the MTR says for consistency.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

I feel like the decks he's looking at suggest he's not playing around Languish at all.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like the decks he's looking at suggest he's not playing around Languish at all.

There isn't too many options that can play around languish that aren't listed in the article.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

to be fair, isn't the usual way of things that nobody is posting decks they actually think are good until after the next pro tour

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

UberJew posted:

to be fair, isn't the usual way of things that nobody is posting decks they actually think are good until after the next pro tour

Silvestri, afaik, isn't a PT competitor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

UberJew posted:

The shilling for bad cards is the thing that annoys me a little bit. Hell, scg even does this for its premium articles.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Update on Sword of the Meek problems.

TCGPlayer gave me the $21.99 difference to cover what I would've paid for the cards as if I had purchased them for 8 each.

I have no idea about the vendor and quite frankly I don't give a gently caress about them.

Moral of the Story: Don't buy from Card Chaos, I guess?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Update on Sword of the Meek problems.

TCGPlayer gave me the $21.99 difference to cover what I would've paid for the cards as if I had purchased them for 8 each.

I have no idea about the vendor and quite frankly I don't give a gently caress about them.

Moral of the Story: Don't buy from Card Chaos, I guess?

I had all of my 3$ and the 4$ ship. Even my 40 cent thopter foundries shipped. I was the only person in my circle to get a full playset to come through. I was actually kind of shocked.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I was actually kind of shocked.

So... more like Searing Touched? :downsrim:

Eldrazi prices needs to drop faster so I can buy my 3 ofs Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i do know that if i had a store to actually play standard at i'd want to be the guy casting languish and not the guy trying to find a way to avoid getting languished

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Silvestri, afaik, isn't a PT competitor.

Silvestri got mad at me for telling him "Dark Jace-kai" was a really dumb deck name and he insisted that pros like himself who get to write for CFB and SCG get to name the decks therefore its Dark Jace-kai.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

When/why did the ability to name your own decks become forbidden in lieu of W/U Control Mk XIV

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Angry Grimace posted:

Silvestri got mad at me for telling him "Dark Jace-kai" was a really dumb deck name and he insisted that pros like himself who get to write for CFB and SCG get to name the decks therefore its Dark Jace-kai.

Haha was this in person or over the internet?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I had all of my 3$ and the 4$ ship. Even my 40 cent thopter foundries shipped. I was the only person in my circle to get a full playset to come through. I was actually kind of shocked.

Do you actually need a playset of both? I thought it was more a 3/3 split card

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

E4C85D38 posted:

The only things that the Magic Tournament Rules say about drafting DFCs are that 1. you're not prohibited from revealing it to other players, and 2. when picked, they go on top of your pile of picks like any other card, and then they get covered up by the next pick. You're not automatically entitled to know if someone picked a DFC, you may not ask if someone picked a DFC, and so on.

Past that, it's up to the Tournament Organizer to specify any other procedures they think are appropriate—for instance, upon cracking packs, showing everyone at the table what DFCs your pack has for ~30 seconds or so, which isn't uncommon.

Also don't look over at other people's draft piles to see if they've taken any DFCs because it *will* be construed as you looking at their current pick and you'll get DQed as I've witnessed on more than one occasion. At least, at GP day two.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shadow225 posted:

When/why did the ability to name your own decks become forbidden in lieu of W/U Control Mk XIV

When SCG reporting et. al. started using standardized names. Only ones grandfathered in survive.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also don't look over at other people's draft piles to see if they've taken any DFCs because it *will* be construed as you looking at their current pick and you'll get DQed as I've witnessed on more than one occasion. At least, at GP day two.

Didn't they have specific draft rules in place for Innistrad 1.0 to deal with exactly this situation? Looking to see whether a dude's drafted a DFC isn't a new problem, and as I recall you were explicitly permitted to see if someone had taken a DFC.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

It's loving Marblue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Sad Mardu.

• Locked thread