Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

williams has been phoning it in for a while imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I hope that all subsequent films exist to exhaustively document the parentage of every single TFA character.

You do seem to be a big fan of the PT, so I'm not surprised.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vegetable posted:

Okay. Maybe that's what's fueling rumors about Ors being the mother of Rey.

Yeah, mighty suspicious to have a new film feature a woman about Luke's age when Rey is almost certainly Luke's daughter and everyone's gonna want to know who her mother is

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Homework Explainer posted:

I'll give him a pass, because literally anything he touched during the 70's and 80's is magical.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

I felt like Williams kind of phoned in in on Episode VII.

I mean it wouldn't be Star Wars without his score, but it's all just riffing on the existing leitmotifs at this point, none of the new material was that interesting. Rey's Theme or whatever isn't exactly a future classic.

I mean, ok it's a matter of taste and opinion, but Rey's Theme is the stand out piece on the entire TFA soundtrack! From the extras Williams didn't look or seem like he was phoning it in. In fact he seemed very involved and passionate about his work in this movie, but of course he's getting older and maybe that has an effect on how much of himself he can put into a thing these days.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

He's like 85 years old with a shelf full of oscars, he's goddamn earned the privilege of phoning it in a bit. I don't think anyone can really be mad at him for resting on his laurels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Harry Potter is the last great score I can think of.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, ok it's a matter of taste and opinion, but Rey's Theme is the stand out piece on the entire TFA soundtrack! From the extras Williams didn't look or seem like he was phoning it in. In fact he seemed very involved and passionate about his work in this movie, but of course he's getting older and maybe that has an effect on how much of himself he can put into a thing these days.

Rey's theme was really cool and I enjoyed Jedi Steps, but the rest of the music, particularly the march themes, was forgettable. Nothing with the force of the droid deployment track from TPM or Battle of the Heroes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

I mean it wouldn't be Star Wars without his score, but it's all just riffing on the existing leitmotifs at this point, none of the new material was that interesting. Rey's Theme or whatever isn't exactly a future classic.

I really gotta disagree. I love Rey's theme & you should look up some of the analysis people have done on the VII score with how it syncs up with his earlier work. I'm not a composer/music theory expert but smarter people than I have mentioned how Williams specifically crafted the VII soundtrack to complement the OT/PT. Plus cmon dude, Reys theme owns. When Finn is running towards Kylo's ship on Takadonna and Reys theme comes in and hes screaming it fucken owns. Kylo's motif is really cool as well.

Like its hard to compete with having 30 years of THE IMPERIAL MARCH to chew on, but I think Williams did very good in TFA.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I think Williams work on TFA is his best since Tintin (The Adventure Continues gets stuck in my head ALLL the time). He has introduced a new theme for every major new character (Rey, Ren, Poe and Finn). While none of them, except Rey, get a dedicated track on the soundtrack, he has balanced the new themes really well with the plethora of old themes as well. As the movies progress, I am sure the new themes will start to take more of a centerpiece than the old themes did, just like the new characters will be replacing the old. Personally, I am a big fan of Poe's leitmotif and I would love to hear a full track dedicated to it. It's the most star warsy sounding thing since the OT (and I think a lot of the PT music is great).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i forget where i specifically heard it said but no one — with few exceptions — works in the film industry, from the big franchise tentpoles down to straight-to-vod "b" schlock, without being one hundred percent committed to Making Good Things. whether that actually happens is for us, the viewing public, to decide, but everyone works hard and everyone wants the end product to be something they're proud of. there are a lot of reasons why this doesn't happen, but it's rarely from lack of effort

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

turtlecrunch posted:

You do seem to be a big fan of the PT, so I'm not surprised.

The prequels only tell us Leia's biological mother, and provide the twist that the 'maker' C3PO refers to is almost literally Jesus Christ.

I guess Boba Fett's dad is shown too, but the point is that there is no 'who are Rey's parents???' pseudo-mystery.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Entropic posted:

He was honest that he wasn't interested in making something memorable, nothing on the same level as Imperial March, or Tales of a Jedi. The documentary has an interview where he talks about his musical choices for TFA and they are all really good and compliment the movie perfectly. So they don't have to be memorable or stand on their own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really liked his new character themes.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kylo Rens motiff is essentially this and that kind of owns tbqh.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

euphronius posted:

I really liked his new character themes.

don't get me wrong, i thought the score was fine. in a sense it's the perfect scoring for tfa, no bold strokes or anything resembling a dangerous choice

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Jedi Steps is phenomenal l, I liked the TFA version of the opening theme. Rest of it was fine. Nothing bad, just fine.

Oh, that reggae sounding song at the cantina-esque scene was pretty rad.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BigglesSWE posted:

that was lin-manuel miranda

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Rey's theme is awesome, Kylo's theme is awesome, Jedi steps is awesome, that's three brand new themes right there, and great use of the original themes, which makes sense in a movie that is supposedly the "bridge" to a new generation of characters and stories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

berserker posted:

Rey's theme is awesome, Kylo's theme is awesome, Jedi steps is awesome, that's three brand new themes right there, and great use of the original themes, which makes sense in a movie that is supposedly the "bridge" to a new generation of characters and stories.

Don't forget about the Resistance march theme.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

It was no Lapti Nek, but it was still good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't even remember any of the new themes from watching the movie. They should have written something massive and iconic to kickstart a new trilogy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I may or may not be listening to Jedi Rocks right now...

GOON E TAY, AHH!!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

:suicide:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Going to watch TFA with someone who has never seen it before tonight, I will let you know how much they criticize it for being recycled politically correct millennial poodoo

Jerkface posted:

GOON E TAY, AHH!!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CHIKA MANKEY HAAAAAAAAAAY

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This is a cool compilation of all the Reys theme stuff in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jahk6xDGKRY

I really think Reys theme is truly great. It joins all the other classic star wars riffs that I get pumped / emotional for when I hear them pop up during the movie.

Here is the thing with Rey's theme intertwining with The Force Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJpmMwrabo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
To be clear, "not as iconic or memorable as the OT score" is not exactly a damning indictment.

Most movie composers would kill to have their best work be as consistently good as what a tired old John Williams churns out on an off day.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

jivjov posted:

Don't forget about the Resistance march theme.

The Resistance theme is trying so hard to be an Indiana Jones march that it hurts. It's my one disappointment with the score. The three other pieces mentioned though, Rey's Theme, Jedi Steps and to a lesser extent Kylo's are all fantastic.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Reys theme is good but I'm phoning in to say Jedi steps is amazing and so perfect at that point in the movie.

John Williams owns the gently caress out of soundtracks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is badass.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I keep seeing reference to Vaders breathing in the R1 trailer but I cant pick up on it at the 1:25-1:28 mark. Using some crappy stereo headphones with no other speakers at the moment.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

I keep seeing reference to Vaders breathing in the R1 trailer but I cant pick up on it at the 1:25-1:28 mark. Using some crappy stereo headphones with no other speakers at the moment.

It's a very soft "end of his exhale" sound, so I am not sure whether I am imagining it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vader is obviously going to make an appearance, come on.

And it will probably be spoiled in the next trailer.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I had no idea this trailer was coming today. Holy poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Didn't James Earl Jones straight up say, "im in this".

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

complicate or expand the story of Star Wars,

complicates or expands the story

"complicate or expand the story..."

complicate or expand the story.

complicate or expand the story

holy poo poo you are the most insufferable first year film student on this forum

Kly fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2016

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I liked TFA but I also liked the prequels for the many reasons discussed in CineD that make them greater than the sum of some of their lackluster parts. Star Wars was always going to live on beyond George Lucas and here we are. It's going to be different for sure. Better in some ways, a little worse in others. I didn't care for the ANH rehash that TFA was but I absolutely loved the new characters and want to see more of them in the coming films.

I also have to give a hearty laugh to folks who are concerned with all these new star wars movies going to be hitting each year. Guess what? Star Wars is finally becoming the sci fi pulp serial it was originally designed to mimic. I for one am willing to embrace a star wars universe in which Donnie Yen expertly hits storm troopers with a staff and Forest Moon Whitaker Ghost Dog growls at the screen.

Besides, we already got "more" star wars way back in the day with the Ewok movies that no one wants to admit exists. I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, Wilford Brimley is canon to the Star Wars saga, goddamnit.

G-III fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 7, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

holy poo poo you are the most insufferable first year film student on this forum

What's so bad about wanting a sequel feature something new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What's so bad about wanting a sequel feature something new

Or something that complicates and expands the story?

• Locked thread