Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

What I'm saying is we should round up everyone even slightly right of center into reeducation camps where they are forced to read A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

When I voted for Obama, I kinda did it because I wanted the Obama these guys were thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cumshitter posted:

I dunno, it sounds like it could have been a fun Ringworld novel. A mysterious land where the residents live in fear of golems carrying out the inscrutable commands left by a long dead culture of liberty minded legal wizards, and only a hillbilly who repeats the words he found on some stones he found buried in his back yard can bring freedom back to the people. The stones could double as a critique of Mormonism.

Ringworld or Diskworld?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I'm really glad the evil unconstitutional maritime courts are looking out for his safety, especially after his godly righteous patriot friends totally abandoned his rear end. I listened to the livestream of his arrest and he is not a stable person.

I do hope he gets the treatment and support every boat deserves. :3:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/04/oregon_standoff_figure_jake_ry.html

Jake Ryan busted, found living in a shed.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Ringworld or Diskworld?

Diskworld, the Pratchett series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

"I'm a revolutionary fighting against a totalitarian government. But don't worry, I can fend them off with LEGAL DEFINITIONS."

So in this world of squinty faces and holeshitting, the government is a huge monolithic entity that will destroy and hold people down...but are BOUND by their own laws if said in a certain way. You cannot make this poo poo up. They bet the rest of their free lives on this. They're going to die in prison because of this.

It's not even good storytelling.

alot of nutjobs all across the political spectrum(left or right) believe in magic words. if you say the right word everything will suddenly work in your favor. they also believe that if other people say ceirten words. it would destroy everyone. example. if a high school student learns an isalmic prayer in school for a culture studdies class, evangelicals think he/she will magically turn into a Muslim by saying those words.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alot of nutjobs all across the political spectrum(left or right) believe in magic words. if you say the right word everything will suddenly work in your favor. they also believe that if other people say ceirten words. it would destroy everyone. example. if a high school student learns an isalmic prayer in school for a culture studdies class, evangelicals think he/she will magically turn into a Muslim by saying those words.

I like how you tried to go for a 'both sides do this' but then cite something that only a Republican would really think.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I keep reading this as Jack Ryan, and we're reading some weird alt verse deconstruction of Tom Clancy novels

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There's actually some interesting studies about how schizophrenics feel about words and how they think about them differently than a lot of people, it's why many of them capitalize random words in a sentence to give them more "power"

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Like "Liberty", "Freedom" and "Extra Mayonnaise".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I like how you tried to go for a 'both sides do this' but then cite something that only a Republican would really think.

true, but i dont feel like gurgling about tumblr and poo poo because then i wont stop and then that starts poo poo.. sorry :(

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

There's actually some interesting studies about how schizophrenics feel about words and how they think about them differently than a lot of people, it's why many of them capitalize random words in a sentence to give them more "power"

I can believe that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unless i'm very much mistaken those are the anal explosion inducing sugarfree gummi bears (half eaten) that people from the internet sent :

There was no backhoe. The shear force of the bowel movement left that crater.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bluemillion posted:

There was no backhoe. The shear force of the bowel movement left that crater.

Petition to make preserve this poo poo hole as a national landmark and name it "Galt's Gulch".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unless i'm very much mistaken those are the anal explosion inducing sugarfree gummi bears (half eaten) that people from the internet sent :

I judge people based on what they read, it's just a thing I do. That book is recommended for grades 3-7.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

It's great how one of Ammon's selling points to the Harney residents was that there would be no legal repercussions. Because I guess he assumed that he'd correctly called out the government on their unconstitutional bluff in the original standoff.

Then he went to jail and bragged about how they could only get him on some 1800's law meant to prevent angry Southerners from loving with federal officials during the Reconstruction Era.

Then the prosecutors formally filed charges so now he's going to die in prison and he cries like a little bitch when a journalist passes on messages like, "Your wife says she loves you."

Maester Ammon eschewed the throne because he knew he was better suited to a life of learning and servitude. Who are we to doubt him?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Casimir Radon posted:

I judge people based on what they read, it's just a thing I do. That book is recommended for grades 3-7.

Some idiots did bring their kids along for the armed insurrection, so it could have belonged to an actual child.

That still boggles my mind though. I can see why the organizers would have wanted (other people's) children there as a human shield and to make the feds look really bad if they did attack. I really can't comprehend how any of the kids' parents thought it was a good thing to do though. "My precious baby probably won't die in a hail of gunfire, but if she does that will really get the sheeple to finally wake up!"

:psyduck:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FIRST TIME posted:

Petition to make preserve this poo poo hole as a national landmark and name it "Galt's Gulch".

oh gently caress I would pay a 5% tax to my income for the rest of my life if it meant this could happen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

Some idiots did bring their kids along for the armed insurrection, so it could have belonged to an actual child.

That still boggles my mind though. I can see why the organizers would have wanted (other people's) children there as a human shield and to make the feds look really bad if they did attack. I really can't comprehend how any of the kids' parents thought it was a good thing to do though. "My precious baby probably won't die in a hail of gunfire, but if she does that will really get the sheeple to finally wake up!"

"gotta teach lil' johnny real proper american values. the other day i caught him watchin' a justin beiber video, so i beat the canadian gay out of him with a switch and made him night watchman for a whole week. standing out all night alone with a big long rifle in his hands aughta teach him not to be gay i reckon. :clint:"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Angela Christine posted:

Some of them likely didn't really expect the government to do anything, if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I'm not saying you should, but you can if you want

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Maester Ammon eschewed the throne because he knew he was better suited to a life of learning and servitude. Who are we to doubt him?

Based on all these pictures and testimony of poop-holes I think they all eschewed the throne.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FIRST TIME posted:

Seconded

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Based on all these pictures and testimony of poop-holes I think they all eschewed the throne.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Marbury v . Madison is a crock, there are no courts, no laws, only the tenth amendment and we the people:

http://arnoldlawfirm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/motion-to-dismiss-medenbach.pdf

The truck thief's motion to reconsider denial of his earlier motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. In a nutshell, Marbury was wrongly decided because the oath the justices took was invalid (HUGE SURPRISE), ergo there is no judicial review.

And of course, he cites to the ninth circuit owning him in the past:

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/116/487/611496/

Built a camp and defended it with bombs and a grenade in 1997. This I believe is the "probation for a previous unlawful occupation of federal land" that has been referenced elsewhere. Or maybe this is old and that references a more recent occupation. Who knows.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
that's how the government gets you. Bogged down in middle class comforts with ikea poo poo you dont need

Sometimes you just gotta tear off your clothes and poo poo in the ground

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

theflyingorc posted:

Some of them likely didn't really expect the government to do anything, if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I'm not saying you should, but you can if you want

I guess they really did think this was the start of their glorious revolution and wanted the kids to see mommy and daddy's moment of triumph. That or they didn't want the evil gubbermint to use the kids as leverage.

Of course, given that they ranted about putting the women and children up on the front lines should actual combat happen, them just being irresponsible idiots in this case might be a little too charitable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Marbury v . Madison is a crock, there are no courts, no laws, only the tenth amendment and we the people:

http://arnoldlawfirm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/motion-to-dismiss-medenbach.pdf

The truck thief's motion to reconsider denial of his earlier motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. In a nutshell, Marbury was wrongly decided because the oath the justices took was invalid (HUGE SURPRISE), ergo there is no judicial review.

Built a camp and defended it with bombs and a grenade in 1997. This I believe is the "probation for a previous unlawful occupation of federal land" that has been referenced elsewhere. Or maybe this is old and that references a more recent occupation. Who knows.

This'll do it, Marbury v Madison will be overturned, I'm sure of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God drat John Marshall making up law! :argh:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Next you're gonna tell me I'm not a freeman on the land!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This story is amazing but the legal defense is the best bit. https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...0dde_video.html

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This story is amazing but the legal defense is the best bit. https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...0dde_video.html

so that's why it's been so long since we got a Plinkett review

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love that judge too

"okay. your request is denied."

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/reid-bundy-ranch-national-monument

quote:

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) on Thursday renewed his calls to make a national monument out of Gold Butte, the site of the 2014 Bundy Ranch standoff in Nevada where Cliven Bundy had illegally grazed his cattle for decades.

Reid announced on the floor that he plans to ask President Barack Obama to use his authority granted under the Antiquities Act to protect that land. The minority leader argued the protection could come at a fortuitous time, as several members of the Bundy family are jailed for their roles in both the 2014 standoff and the takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge earlier this year in rural Oregon. Family patriarch Cliven Bundy is also being held in Nevada on assault and federal conspiracy charges tracing back to the 2014 standoff near his family's ranch.

"Because of trouble caused by the Bundys and their pals, the federal employees tasked with safely guarding these antiquities were prevented from doing their jobs," Reid said on the floor. "It was about 19 of them that have been indicted. Most of them are still in jail where they belong...[workers] have been under constant physical and mental threat for doing what the American people asked them to do."

The national monument Reid is asking for would stretch roughly 100 miles, beyond the site of the 2014 standoff. The land is currently jointly managed by Clark County and the Bureau of Land Management. Grazing is not legal on the land, and if the land is granted monument status it still won't be legal to graze there.

Reid had introduced legislation in the past to protect Gold Butte, as The Las Vegas Sun chronicled, but it faces long odds in a Republican-controlled Congress. Reid has since turned to asking the President to deem the area a national monument.

owns

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

On the one hand, I dislike the necessity to pass legeslation to fight these assholes. This really seems like a bandaid on one spot and not greater anti-sovcit resources for law enforcement.

On the other hand it's a great gently caress you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods please change my name to Gold Butte

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I love sovereign citizens so very, very much.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

He literally tries to challenge "understanding" :lol:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Young Freud posted:

He literally tries to challenge "understanding" :lol:

Yeah

It argues that they should have interpreted the oath they took that implied they could interpret what was or wasn't unconstitutional as unconstitutional, thereby preventing them from judging what was unconstitutional

That's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
In the midst of all this terrible sovereign insanity I was happy to find that the Harney County Migratory Bird Festival starts tomorrow and they expect a high amount of spring sandhill cranes, waterfowl, and shorebirds. Arts, crafts, food and other fun for residents and visitors alike! NO SOVCITS

http://www.migratorybirdfestival.com/