Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I don't see the disadvantage to labeling them. I don't think the stuff will cause me harm but I don't much like the practice, so I'll buy non-GMO when convenient. More info = good? Especially if this is information plenty of consumers want, regardless of their motives.

I've done effortposts on this in the past so I won't go into too much detail, but GMO labeling is bad policy for a number of reasons.

First, GMO use is way more widespread than you might think, and is just the latest in a long string of humanity making foods better for our consumption, that started with selective breeding for larger edible portions and has now resulted in scientific genetic modification.

Second, advancing genetic modification of food may be one of the only ways to save humanity from mass famine when global warming really kicks in, because making crops that can grow in changed conditions for longer periods of time (thus producing larger and more reliable yields) is one of the best uses of genetic modification.

Third, labeling of food causes consumers who have not looked into the ins and outs of the policy to reject those foods. See food irradiation for an example from recent history. Food irradiation is a harmless procedure done to food to make it last longer and make it safer to consume. Yet, because it contains the scary word "radiation", people freaked the gently caress out when they found about it and pressured governments to pass regulations requiring any irradiated food to have labeling on the package. Suddenly nobody bought irradiated food anymore, because seeing "this food has been irradiated" on your food package is scary even when you know food irradiation is a harmless procedure, let alone when you are an uneducated consumer who had never heard of food irradiation before. So all the food companies stopped irradiating their food because no one would buy it, and we lost a lot of the potential benefits of making such a useful procedure more widespread.

Fourth, the majority of consumers don't actually know anything about GMOs or food labeling, but have general unease towards scary words like "genetic modification" and "irradiation". As soon as you start forcing that labeling on food, people will stop buying it, and that means less investment in necessary GMO treatment and less research into how to make GMO foods better, because GMOs will no longer be profitable.

GMO labeling is a bad policy and a perfect example of how too much information and too much choice can be a bad thing in consumer markets, because most consumers don't know enough to make use of such additional information.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Make GMO labeling apply to dogs too IMO. It's only fair.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

vyelkin posted:

GMO labeling is a bad policy and a perfect example of how too much information and too much choice can be a bad thing in consumer markets, because most consumers don't know enough to make use of such additional information.

Easy fix: Sell only GMOs, label them all, and people will either starve to death or try eating it anyway and realize nothing happens. :v:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I don't see the disadvantage to labeling them. I don't think the stuff will cause me harm but I don't much like the practice, so I'll buy non-GMO when convenient. More info = good? Especially if this is information plenty of consumers want, regardless of their motives.

I've seen gluten free shampoo, should GF labelling be mandatory? "Suitable for vegetarians" labels? You're perfectly free to add labelling to your products as you like, as long as it's truthful.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I kind of like the idea of making a label for "GMOs" but then putting it on literally everything. Let's get these people on the sunlight diet.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sund posted:

I've seen gluten free shampoo, should GF labelling be mandatory? "Suitable for vegetarians" labels? You're perfectly free to add labelling to your products as you like, as long as it's truthful.

Plus you can already find foods advertising themselves as GMO-free, so if you are super dedicated to avoiding GMOs at all costs alternatives already exist for you to do so without destroying scientific progress as a convenient by-product.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Helsing posted:

I kind of like the idea of making a label for "GMOs" but then putting it on literally everything. Let's get these people on the sunlight diet.

I'm not in favour of it, but if it could be used as a huge "trap sprung" moment to nail people who claim their product isn't genetically modified in some fashion it would be pretty lol.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Helsing posted:

A living income is a lot more expensive than most people seem to realize. It would involve a massive reworking of the government's fiscal framework to actually implement it, and most of the savings are based on the assumption that you'd eliminate other government programs. On its own the living income also doesn't protect against price increases that could rapidly eat into the gains of a living income.

Obviously on the most simplistic level it makes intuitive sense to fight poverty by giving people money. But it's a policy that seems to ignore political reality by trying to enact massive redistribution without changing the underlying power relations of the economy.

In the mid 20th century the labour movement and various organized groups of citizens were bulwarks supporting the creation and maintenance of the welfare state. Who is going to play that role if we implement a basic income? What constituency is going to exist to ensure that landlords don't gobble up all the extra money in the form of higher rents? What consituency is going to stop the next government from slashing the basic income (wouldn't that be a neat trick, Party A implements basic income and removes welfare, Party B gets elected five years later and cuts basic income in half without restoring welfare. A progressive policy just directly lead to the halving of a vulnerable population's income).

To be clear I've got nothing against a basic income in principle but I think it's been turned into something of a false idol for the left. The basic problem is that working people lack political power, and a narrow band of elites have way too much power. I don't believe you can solve anything without addressing that imbalance.

1) You want a left that is organized and supports the creation and maintenance of the welfare state, yet I see you repeatedly belittle a progressive policy that they could rally around. If you want people to organize for a cause you need objectives they can push for. Fixing power structures is too abstract a goal, and it's a means to an end anyway. People need to see that end. If you think there is something better to work on than basic income then tell us about it, but abstractions like "addressing power imbalances" aren't going to work. You address power imbalances with concrete, actionable goals. What are they?

2) Implementing policy goals is a win. It motivates people to defend what they've accomplished and push for more. It shifts the Overton window in your direction. And it's more difficult to undo policies that have been implemented than it is to block them in the first place (healthcare for example). There's nothing stopping Party B from cutting welfare right now, besides the political consequences. Why would that be different in a world where basic income was implemented?

You're starting to sound like the type of person who scoffs at working towards meaningful policy because you can't make progress until capitalism is overthrown man. When people go down that road they essentially remove themselves from anything resembling mainstream politics and ensure their own irrelevance.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My dad runs a project with local schools where they have groups of kids come up to their farm and plant potatoes in the fields in the spring and then come up in the fall to harvest them, they they cook them up at school for breakfast, with a biology component about the soil and the history of the farm.

He knew sweet potato fries were what all the cool kids liked these days so he took some time and found a few new kinds that grow in Canada (normally they wouldn't, our growing season is too short). The result of that was one school dropping out because a teacher reported that sweet potatoes are GMO -- which is technically true: sweet potatoes mutated several thousand years ago and became edible. That's all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

And yet I'm the bad guy for going half a step further by suggesting we save some time and just kill these morons. Sad!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

And yet I'm the bad guy for going half a step further by suggesting we save some time and just kill these morons. Sad!

This is a very good impression of a Donald Trump tweet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

This is a very good impression of a Donald Trump tweet

Thank you, that was my goal.

Edit: I'm gonna be the best poster for impersonating Donald Trump. So simple! :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Thank you, that was my goal.

Edit: I'm gonna be the best poster for impersonating Donald Trump. So simple! :v:

Gotta make those posts short and to the point but also as yuuuuge as possible :smugdon: gonna make SA great again

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ikantski posted:

Not maple syrup or venison.

'sup, rural buddy?

It's more common in wild fish populations, but hunting/harvesting pressures can cause size selection so you inadvertently breed smaller animals. I can see this happening in areas where hunter = big swinging dick who always has to shoot the biggest animal in the neighbourhood. Hunters are probably breeding small, paranoid deer.

Wouldn't surprise me if syrup producers are selecting for trees with robust immune systems that can withstand bleeding profusely once a year and not succumb to disease. Winners reproduce, losers end up in the stove.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jm20 posted:

Everything you've eaten your entire life is GMO.

Last barbecue I went to I made grilled aurochs with a side of teosinte.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Why don't you like the practice?

I'm not going to turn this into an argument, but I am curious because I'm not sure what reason there could be if you don't think it's harmful to you because that's the main argument against it by opponents.

Its not GMO stuff in particular I'm opposed too, its the practices of large companies with profits in mind. GMOs are a bit unique, because it allows for novel stuff like genes being patented and owned by companies. These are the sorts practices I oppose. (I have a variety of problems with big agriculture and food not related to genetics at all).

^^ also responding to vyelkin

This seems to boil down to two main reasons:

1) Profits
2) Long term food security

I don't believe that corporations have any right to profits. If they don't make money, too bad, its the risk of doing business. People might not make informed decisions? Well of course, this is why we have marketing campaigns. Everyone, including the informed, buy poo poo for dumb reasons like a shiny label or a catchy theme song or a sexy girl. If consumers don't want to buy something that's their choice, however retarded it may be. Plenty of people seem to want this, and if the only downside is a risk to profits, then I'm for it.

If this latest Malthusian catastrophe is indeed coming, then by all means use GMO stuff to prevent it- I'm not opposed to the process. But instead of relying on consumer spending to fund corporate research, lets not have it linked to profits. Research should be openly shared with others around the world, and should be provided by governments and non-profits.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

More than 1,000 people arrested in large groups and held in "inhumane conditions" at a makeshift detention centre during the 2010 G20 summit in Toronto won the right to proceed with two class-action lawsuits against police authorities Wednesday.

The Ontario Court of Appeal approved the two class actions over "kettling" — confining scores of people at downtown Toronto intersections for several hours — and alleged civil rights abuses that occurred nearly six years ago during the three-day global summit.

The court's decision emphasizes that police cannot arrest a group of civilians "as a way of 'fishing' for particular individuals." It also highlights the role these class actions would play in forcing police behaviour to change.

"There have been non-binding recommendations before but now we have binding legal process, which can actually make changes happen," counsel Kent Elson told CBC News.

The lawsuits allege people were mass-arrested indiscriminately and held in "inhumane conditions" at a detention centre located inside an unused film studio on Eastern Avenue.

"What happened to them was terrible. They were arrested without cause," Elson said. "That shouldn't happen in a democratic country like ours."

These are the first class actions involving group arrests to be certified in the province.

Lawyer Eric Gillespie said the "groundbreaking" decision could help guard the basic freedoms of all Canadians.

He noted that in the wake of the event many of the reforms recommended have not been implemented.

"This decision may help move in that direction," he said.

Elson said it could lead to the disclosure of confidential police documents and tapes about what happened during that weekend, as well as "positive reforms about policing."

"What we're trying to do is make sure the spread of [kettling] is stopped," he said.

Following the decision, lead plaintiff Sherry Good said she was delighted and called on police to make changes and "prove to us that this will never happen again."

Good was among dozens of people "kettled" at Queen Street and Spadina Avenue for 4½ hours in torrential rain.

"It was extremely scary."

"I lost faith in the police. I lost faith in our charter."

Good said she wants to see consequences for those responsible and police reforms.

Tommy Taylor, the other lead plaintiff representing those sent to the east-end Toronto detention centre, likened the arrests and conditions as being "treated worse than animals in a zoo."

"We want justice to be served. We don't want this to happen to any other Canadian, ever again," he said.

Taylor was held for 24 hours and released without charge.

"I actually passed out begging for water," he said.

"For Canada, it was a pretty big failure, pretty dehumanizing experience."

The Toronto police board wanted the Appeal Court to quash the class proceedings, which had already been subject to two lower court rulings.

A judge had originally ruled against certifying a class action, but that was overturned on an initial appeal to Ontario's Divisional Court, which instead split the action in two.

In August, Supt. Mark Fenton was found guilty of discreditable conduct and unnecessary exercise of authority in connection with ordering two mass arrests during that weekend.

In a statement Wednesday, Andy Pringle, the chair of the Toronto police board, said the board will review the decision and consider its options.

"We are committed to continuing to participate in this legal process as it moves forward."

Periodic reminder that the liberals invited Bill Blair into their ranks and put him in charge of legalizing pot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

Periodic reminder that the liberals invited Bill Blair into their ranks

Well, the Conservatives had Fantino...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Let's all take some time out to laugh at this moron's misfortune and utter stupidity:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/dana-larsen-custody-pot-seed-handout-tour-1.3524504

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

Let's all take some time out to laugh at this moron's misfortune and utter stupidity:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/dana-larsen-custody-pot-seed-handout-tour-1.3524504

Arrested for seed trafficking, how progressive.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Periodic reminder that the liberals invited Bill Blair into their ranks and put him in charge of legalizing pot

Quick! Somebody repeat the lie that the NDP tried to recruit him too!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

1) You want a left that is organized and supports the creation and maintenance of the welfare state, yet I see you repeatedly belittle a progressive policy that they could rally around. If you want people to organize for a cause you need objectives they can push for. Fixing power structures is too abstract a goal, and it's a means to an end anyway. People need to see that end. If you think there is something better to work on than basic income then tell us about it, but abstractions like "addressing power imbalances" aren't going to work. You address power imbalances with concrete, actionable goals. What are they?

"Belittling" makes it sound like I'm teasing basic income for being short or having a funny haircut. I'd say I'm critiquing an idea and urging people to think about the strategic implications of pursuing it.

Concrete and actionable goals are important but they need to be informed by some kind of theory of social change. I'm urging people to think about the more theoretical question of how contemporary society should be critiqued and how a (at this point largely theoretically) social movement might evaluate which concrete and actionable goals to adopt.

Personally I think its encouraging to see the idea of a basic income moving so rapidly from the political fringe toward the edges of mainstream discourse. I also think that giving the poor money is about as straightforward and effective an anti-poverty strategy as you could ask for. But this doesn't erase my concerns about the downsides of a basic income.

quote:

2) Implementing policy goals is a win. It motivates people to defend what they've accomplished and push for more. It shifts the Overton window in your direction. And it's more difficult to undo policies that have been implemented than it is to block them in the first place (healthcare for example). There's nothing stopping Party B from cutting welfare right now, besides the political consequences. Why would that be different in a world where basic income was implemented?

Welfare gets a de facto cut every year because it isn't indexed to inflation and the government in recent decades has been just as inclined to formally cut it as they have been to modestly increase it.

The Overton window doesn't just automatically shift when a new policy gets implemented. The actual process is a bit more muddled and confused in practice. For instance, support among American voters for social security or medicare is extremely high but many of these same voters have strongly anti-government views. They unironically declare "government hands off my medicare" and see no contradiction in demanding more government support for themselves despite bemoaning the welfare bums who continue to suck on the government's teat. Similarly I know guys in Canada who rant endlessly about overly generous government pensions but who love Canadian healthcare.

So why are Canadians so supportive of healthcare but so indifferent to welfare getting eaten away by inflation, year after year? Well, for starters, it's because just about everyone uses healthcare, knows people who use healthcare, and/or anticipates using healthcare in the future. The "overton window" here is shifted, to a large degree, by perceived self interest. Welfare, which could be justified on morally similar grounds to healthcare, has nowhere near the same level of support because most voters don't expect to ever use welfare. People who enjoy the benefits of medicare don't, as a general rule, suddenly become supportive of other government programs. Or if they do become more supportive that doesn't translate into concrete political demands: maybe they passively think welfare should be increased, but it doesn't matter enough to them to determine how they'll vote.

OK, you reply, but a basic income will benefit everyone and thus it will be untouchable. Perhaps, perhaps, but do you have any idea how expensive it would be to give every citizen in the country over 18 a basic income that was actually high enough to provide an acceptable standard of living? This is why many advocates of a basic income will suggest that it be means-tested, which turns it into a negative income tax. But once you start means testing it the wealthy and middle class stop benefiting from it. If you don't means test it then you're going to have to cut government revenue from somewhere else. Furthermore, even if people do theoretically draw benefits from a basic income I suspect plenty of middle class people would happily trade their basic income for a tax cut. Medicare is a bit different because medical treatment is so expensive that it really would be out of the reach of middle class households without government assistance. On the other hand plenty of middle class households could live without a basic income, especially if they anticipate a reduction in tax rates.

Now, to complete the thought exercise, let's look at another policy that tends to get a lot of support, to the point that every political party at least nominally adopted this idea during the last election: a small business tax cut.

This is a policy that benefits very few voters. If anything it just encourages legal tax evasion for the handful of people lucky enough to capitalize on it. Yet this policy enjoys great support! Why is that? Well, in some abstract sense you can credit the "overton window" I guess but what's the actual political muscle that keeps the overton window frozen in that place? And the answer is an organized and funded lobby on behalf of small businesses owners. This policy doesn't survive in political discourse because it gains passive support by being within the Overton window: it remains alive and active because a bunch of people are constantly pushing it, and related ideas, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.

What I believe this thought exercise demonstrates is that developing, implementing and then defending a public policy is a really complicated endeavor. Yes, we need concrete and actionable goals, but we also need a theory of social change that will give us the strategic insight and tactical flexibility to actually win the inevitable political battles. It's not enough to have a policy that, in theory, solves the problem.

The implication of all this, in my mind, is not that basic income is a bad idea or an unworthy idea, but rather that in its current form it's an incomplete one. It's all well and good to say that it would be better if the government distributed wealth more evenly. What I'm saying is that actually implementing and defending a policy will be hard work.

quote:

You're starting to sound like the type of person who scoffs at working towards meaningful policy because you can't make progress until capitalism is overthrown man. When people go down that road they essentially remove themselves from anything resembling mainstream politics and ensure their own irrelevance.

I don't think its particularly useful to just cheer-lead for your side or to adopt a single policy and then uncritically defend it against even legitimate concerns or criticism.

I am broadly supportive of the concept of a basic income but I see it more as a starting point for a debate. In my opinion the left has been much too quick to sacrifice any kind of broadly based theoretical understanding of society or of how power operates in society. Ever since the intellectual and material collapse of Marxism the left has been really gunshy about actually theorizing society. This is pretty ironic because if you look at the Democratic primary in the USA it seems like a big part of Bernie Sanders appeal is that he's offering a generalized critique of how money has corrupted politics rather than just proposing a list of reforms he'd implement.

The truth is that there's need for all kinds of different people right now. Somebody does need to be out there advocating for specific policies and making them palatable to the general public by making them seem like they're not all that radical. But the left also needs people thinking in a more big picture way about how an anti-establishment critique can find traction in a society where money and power are so deeply intertwined. And I'd argue that at this moment the left has plenty of people doing the former but not enough people (competently) doing the latter.

The left needs intelligent and critical people actually thinking, in a concrete and actionable way, about how social change occurs. Otherwise the only people doing this kind of theorizing are going to be the pie-in-the-sky idealists that you're deriding. And I think this work is far too valuable to be left exclusively to those types. Intelligent and pragmatic people need the courage to think big and to move beyond narrowly advocating for specific policies.

This has been a long post so I'll wrap up here, but I have one final thought to add: history can be a helpful guide here. And my interpretation of history (which you're welcome to challenge if you've got some good counter examples) is that successful reforms come from the demands of social movements, typically demands that take decades to formulate and implement.

So, having typed that mountain of words, I'll just conclude by saying that basic income could be a good plank within a larger platform, but if its just a one-shot change to the current system that leaves the power relations of society untouched then I'm skeptical that it could 1) be implemented, 2) be maintained and 3) be at an adequate level to actually address the underlying problems.

I offer these criticisms in the spirit of helpfulness, to someone who I assume shares many my view of the need for fundamental changes in society. If you want to reject those criticisms that's up to you but I believe these kinds of debates are very important to have, and I think one problem with the left is that serious and pragmatic leftists (such as they are) rarely engage in these debates. I'd prefer to not leave the discussions of social power exclusively to the campus Marxists, because these debates actually matter a great deal.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hexigrammus posted:

'sup, rural buddy?

It's more common in wild fish populations, but hunting/harvesting pressures can cause size selection so you inadvertently breed smaller animals. I can see this happening in areas where hunter = big swinging dick who always has to shoot the biggest animal in the neighbourhood. Hunters are probably breeding small, paranoid deer.

Wouldn't surprise me if syrup producers are selecting for trees with robust immune systems that can withstand bleeding profusely once a year and not succumb to disease. Winners reproduce, losers end up in the stove.

I get your point but deer are a bad example. Trophy whitetail hunters certainly try their best to do this but it's almost impossible to manipulate the genetics of a wild whitetail deer herd. https://www.qdma.com/articles/why-we-cant-manage-deer-genetics

Maple is a bad example too. The big producers are all using tubing so you can't really tell which trees are producing more. I have heard of people reforesting with sugar maple or thinning other species out to make a stand stronger but I wouldn't call it GMO (also because nothing in maple syrup is an organism jesus christ people).

Wild fish for sure, we eat splake, skamania and triploid rainbow trout. Now if they could just create a fish resistant to PCB and mercury.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Postmedia Network Canada Corp. has struck a special board committee to oversee a review of its struggling business, as management considers a wide range of options to improve its “capital structure and liquidity.”

The move comes as Postmedia reported a second-quarter loss of $225-million on Thursday, due in large part to a $187-million non-cash impairment to the value of its titles and the company’s goodwill.

[...]

Postmedia’s future looks cloudy. With GoldenTree seeking to unload its stake, which includes 52 per cent of the company’s class B shares and a portion of its debt, speculation has been swirling that the company could be heading for a restructuring. Its debt now trades at a deep discount, while its shares hover around 6 cents on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and rarely trade.

The company’s loss of $225.1-million or 80 cents per share compares with a loss of $58.2-million or $1.45 in the same quarter a year earlier, due mostly to writedown.

Revenue for the second quarter, which ended Feb. 29, was $209.1-million, up from $145.4-million a year earlier thanks to Postmedia’s acquisition of Sun Media newspapers and digital assets in April, 2015. Excluding the Sun results, revenue was down 13.1 per cent for the second quarter.

Print advertising revenue fell 18.3 per cent year-over-year, while print circulation revenue dipped 8 per cent and digital revenue fell 4.2 per cent.

Postmedia's PNC.A shares are currently trading at six cents, giving them a market cap of about $18m. :laugh:

It's all over but the crying. Special gently caress you's to Conrad Black, the Asper family and John Godfrey without whom none of this shitshow would have been possible.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So this is interesting. Back in 2014 the Canadian Labour Contest had something very unusual: a contested leadership race. Ken Georgetti, the longest serving president in the CLC's history, was challenged by Hassan Yussuf, the CLC's treasurer. While both these guys are long term union bureacrats it's interesting to note that Yussuf specifically ran on a platform calling for greater union militancy. Yussuf ended up winning by 40 votes, which I believe is the first time an incumbent CLC president has ever been defeated. Here's an example of Yussuf speaking of the need for greater militancy:

quote:

“They feel the [labour] movement has to pull itself together and start to push back,” Mr. Yussuff said in an interview. “There’s a sense among the whole membership, including the private sector, that you’ve got to collectively start pushing back to change the direction, otherwise this movement is going to be in peril.”

He said union leaders have long worked at the bargaining table to help solve problems, but they feel they have been too co-operative while watching their gains and legal rights be eroded.

“It’s not going to get better if we don’t start fighting back,” he said.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to note that Yussuf has now called for Mulcair to resign. Meanwhile, this is defeated ex-CLC President Ken Georgetti's hot take on the upcoming NDP convention vote:

quote:

Like a broken record, the usual suspects have come out of the woodwork, demanding Tom Mulcair resign as leader of the New Democratic Party. Those on the left who spent the entire 2015 federal election campaign promoting strategic voting are simply trying to shift any responsibility away from their own culpability.

Some say Tom's balanced budget issue did us in. But imagine what the reaction would have been had the NDP campaigned for any deficit, let alone one that looks like it will be $30 billion when the books close.

While there are many other "should haves" and "would haves" related to the campaign, they are not the real issue for the upcoming NDP convention. Too many prominent New Democrats and affiliated organizations in the election, through their actions and words, told voters "this time it's OK to vote Liberal." I saw as many if not more "Stop Harper" signs as I did "Vote NDP" signs.

It was a tragic mistake for our party and its supporters, and it became the dominant theme in the election. The result? Both the soft right and the "anybody-but-Harper" soft New Democrats voted Liberal.

Were Liberals strategic?

You need only take a look at Quebec, Atlantic Canada and Toronto to see the effect of these voting patterns. They didn't happen because of a balanced budget promise, or the niqab, or even sunny ways.

They happened because the soft votes on both sides went Liberal, aided and abetted by the strategic voting crowd. As an aside, I don't recall hearing any Liberals advocating "strategic" voting for New Democrats, but I digress.

It's quite entertaining to watch these so-called New Democrats patting themselves on the back, taking credit for getting rid of the Harper Conservatives while in the same breath solely blaming the leader for the NDP's poor showing.

These same folks did the same thing in Ontario in 2014 -- loudly boasting about their success in stopping Conservative Tim Hudak, while simultaneously leveling at Andrea Horvath the same criticism they now level at Tom Mulcair.

With part-time friends and sometime supporters like these, the NDP needs no enemies. Telling NDP members to vote for other parties will never make a solid roadbed we can pave to power.

Perhaps Mulcair in Edmonton this week ought to quote Julius Caesar to all those advocates of this "strategic" part-time loyalty to our party, calling for his head: "Et tu, Brute?" [Tyee]

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that the TFSA contribution limit accrues if you don't use it. If you ever go from poverty to "middle-class" income, you could reduce your tax burden significantly for the first few years. The effect will be more pronounced in the future, as it just keeps accruing, year after year.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, such upward financial mobility is merely a myth, so this has absolutely no application.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

sliderule posted:

If you ever go from poverty to "middle-class" income, you could reduce your tax burden significantly for the first few years.
That's not really how TFSA works though, is it? The money you put in the account is all post-tax. The "tax free" refers to any interest you make on that.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If that's the case, consider me misinformed.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

odiv posted:

That's not really how TFSA works though, is it? The money you put in the account is all post-tax. The "tax free" refers to any interest you make on that.

You're correct on TFSAs but perhaps sliderude was thinking about RRSPs which do work the way he's thinking about.

RRSP is pre-tax and TFSA post-tax so no refunds or decreased taxable income from TFSA contributions. I've seen lots of people get nice four and five figure refunds from large RRSP contributions once they are able to afford them and they have the RRSP room built up over the years. Just make sure to never go more than $2,000 over the RRSP limit or CRA will penalize you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zeond posted:

You're correct on TFSAs but perhaps sliderude was thinking about RRSPs which do work the way he's thinking about.

But RRSP allowances are based on income, so if you're poor you're not going to be carrying much forward.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
A second candidate has hit the CPC leadership race

Whose feeling the Bern-Ier

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hey guess who's still a gigantic piece of poo poo

quote:

Dominic Cardy refuses to endorse Tom Mulcair, skips party convention

New Brunswick NDP Leader Dominic Cardy is skipping the federal party's weekend convention that will be voting on Tom Mulcair's future as leader and he is raising concerns about the direction the party is taking on key issues.

Cardy would not say whether he supports Mulcair continuing on at the helm of the federal party. He said he has an opinion but will leave it to the New Democrats heading to the Edmonton convention to decide on the federal leader's fate.

"With the way the federal NDP campaign rolled out last year, from around halfway through the campaign, there were a lot of positions that I didn't feel particularly comfortable with," he said.

"I'm not particularly interested in spending my weekend talking with the party as they decide which of the positions they are going to take going into the future because I don't have any real confidence that they will be kept to."

In particular, Cardy said he was frustrated by Mulcair's decision to come out against the Trans-Pacific Partnership deal during the campaign even though he hadn't read the text. The provincial leader said losing free trade agreements would hurt New Brunswick industries.

Cardy also said he was "very disheartened" by the NDP's position on the war in Syria.

"The NDP federally took a position saying that we would disengage completely from all military action in the Middle East, something I thought was both not responsible and not something that the party agreed to, which is my core concern," he said.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Subjunctive posted:

But RRSP allowances are based on income, so if you're poor you're not going to be carrying much forward.

And even then, 18% of your income is more than lots of people can afford when their costs of living take up 70% of their income in the first place.

It's almost as if the system was designed to keep the poors down. :shepface:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey guess who's still a gigantic piece of poo poo

As I recall Cardy not only endorsed Mulcair but actually one of the introductory speakers at Mulcair's campaign launch.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I'm largely in agreement I just find something off-putting about the way you've responded the last few times it's come up. I just wanted to make a few minor points:

Helsing posted:

The Overton window doesn't just automatically shift when a new policy gets implemented. The actual process is a bit more muddled and confused in practice. For instance, support among American voters for social security or medicare is extremely high but many of these same voters have strongly anti-government views. They unironically declare "government hands off my medicare" and see no contradiction in demanding more government support for themselves despite bemoaning the welfare bums who continue to suck on the government's teat. Similarly I know guys in Canada who rant endlessly about overly generous government pensions but who love Canadian healthcare.
What I believe this thought exercise demonstrates is that developing, implementing and then defending a public policy is a really complicated endeavor. Yes, we need concrete and actionable goals, but we also need a theory of social change that will give us the strategic insight and tactical flexibility to actually win the inevitable political battles. It's not enough to have a policy that, in theory, solves the problem.

The implication of all this, in my mind, is not that basic income is a bad idea or an unworthy idea, but rather that in its current form it's an incomplete one. It's all well and good to say that it would be better if the government distributed wealth more evenly. What I'm saying is that actually implementing and defending a policy will be hard work.

This has been a long post so I'll wrap up here, but I have one final thought to add: history can be a helpful guide here. And my interpretation of history (which you're welcome to challenge if you've got some good counter examples) is that successful reforms come from the demands of social movements, typically demands that take decades to formulate and implement.

So, having typed that mountain of words, I'll just conclude by saying that basic income could be a good plank within a larger platform, but if its just a one-shot change to the current system that leaves the power relations of society untouched then I'm skeptical that it could 1) be implemented, 2) be maintained and 3) be at an adequate level to actually address the underlying problems.

Actually getting this idea implemented won't be just a "one-shot change" though. It would take a lot of organizing and convincing and overcoming of political resistance to get it implemented. If we actually got it implemented that would be an indicator that the power relations of society had changed. My problem is the way you've been wording your critique is sort of "well we need to fix these structural problems first and then we'll get to implementing these polices" and what I'm saying is that the process of implementing these ideas itself is going to involve (partially) identifying and fixing the structural problems. There's no more efficient way to both discover and demonstrate to others the structural issues than to try and implement a good idea and see who resists it and how they go about it.

quote:

I am broadly supportive of the concept of a basic income but I see it more as a starting point for a debate. In my opinion the left has been much too quick to sacrifice any kind of broadly based theoretical understanding of society or of how power operates in society. Ever since the intellectual and material collapse of Marxism the left has been really gunshy about actually theorizing society.

:psyduck: If you think the left is gunshy about theorizing then you and I must occupy two very different worlds.

quote:

This is pretty ironic because if you look at the Democratic primary in the USA it seems like a big part of Bernie Sanders appeal is that he's offering a generalized critique of how money has corrupted politics rather than just proposing a list of reforms he'd implement.
But even in this regard (money in politics) US leftists have (for better or for worse) largely coalesced around reversing Citizen's United as the major action item.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Do provincial leaders of parties with no seats in the legislature get a decent salary? That's probably why Cardy is staying home.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

sliderule posted:

If that's the case, consider me misinformed.

I would super recommend checking out the Canadian Finance thread in BFC if you want to get your adulting on and get a handle on all this stuff.

Tons of useful info there and people happy to help with "dumb" questions.

Go figure a poo poo-postin' comedy forum would be what helped me get my financial house in order, but hey! :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Megan Leslie endorsing the Leap Manifesto :raise:

https://twitter.com/MeganLeslieHFX/status/718229887899852800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I dunno who Rona Bacardi is but she shouldn't be head of the Manitoba Liberals jfc