Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

bengy81 posted:

I haven't read far enough back to see this, but can you elaborate? I thought it was a neat machine based on the one roast I did on it.
I don't know if personally I would buy one, I also don't know if I would honestly consider anything below a Huky either. Even that would be a hard sell IMO, I feel like for 1200 bucks it might be worth watching EBay and CL for a used sample roaster or a small batch pro machine, and maybe spending a little more money. Maybe I'm not that experienced with the different gear and different price points to make that call.

I just remember when the plus upgrade kits started rolling out there were some folks complaining about them and urging other posters to snag the original (non-plus) 1600's.

E: Looks like it was mostly people complaining about the new safety feature shutting their roasts off midway through. Example:

MrEnigma posted:

If anyone is thinking about upgrading their behmor 1600 to the plus panel, I would highly advise against it.

The first issue is that it adds an unattended countdown warning. If you don't see it (and it doesn't beep or alert you in any way) it stops your roast. I'm sitting right there and have missed it 3-4 times. It sucks. It adds it to both manual and the programs.

The second is that manual mode at flu power has a if where it doesn't cycle the power elements ever. This means you'll usually overheat the roaster causing it to just shut off, not even go into cooling mode.

I've wasted about 5lbs of coffee on the new panel, ripping it out before I roast again. If you can't find an original non-plus model i would probably look at a different roaster.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I've gotten used to the safety feature now. I just set a timer for 13 minutes into the roast and make sure I am there. Only lost one or two roasts since then. Still wish it beeped or made a noise as well.

I almost never use the manual full power modes. It's possible but it just became too much of a hassle. If you are roasting a full pound of coffee it can be a bit better, but then you have to make sure you wait more than the standard cool down to make sure it doesn't overheat on the next roast.

So my opinion is still the same, the original one without the manual mode is probably the best bet. Connected roaster should be coming up soon, which should allow smart phone control which might be great. I have my eye set on a sonafresco roaster now though...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Those sonofrescro roasters look badass! Please keep us updated if you get one.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Basically all of the stuff I read about the Behmor usage this past weekend lent itself to a couple of basic statements:

Do not just hit P5 manual and think you're going to make that work. Full power, no regulation. Internal surface temp will trigger shutdown and residual heat in the element will probably ignite your now-not-turning beans.
Faster drum lends itself to brighter tasting roasts, slower to darker tasting roasts.
Yes, it has manual settings. No, you don't NEED to use them.
Keep the thing clean.

I'll find all of this out this weekend I'm sure. Had the machine since Monday, but the beans didn't show up until last night.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2012 era Behmor 1600 is never not set at P1 and maximum time 20+ minutes for even a 1/2 lb roast.

Yes, I've cleaned it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

My 2012 era Behmor 1600 is never not set at P1 and maximum time 20+ minutes for even a 1/2 lb roast.

Yes, I've cleaned it.

Not an owner, so I'm not sure how feasible it is, but have you tried changing the heating element? I believe it's a quartz element, and they tend to degenerate or lose some of their size over time. Has it always taken that long to roast or is it a more recent thing?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Depends on beans and perhaps a slight degradation since it was new but pretty much always been like that. Of course pre-heating for 3 min in the winter helps (unit is in the garage), but those 3 minutes come right out of the max of 21 - so meh.

It still works great as long as I am content on 1/2 lb roasts at max time to barely get FC+. I haven't charcoaled a batch but once.

I'll check into the heating element but otherwise gonna run it hard till it dies and get the 1600+.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yes, I've cleaned it.

I was in a similar situation, mainly due to my crappy rural power grid and the distance between the breaker box and my roasting space. The new + handles this better. I can do a half pound on the half pound setting, and the magic "c" at first crack works about 90% of the time, harder wet processed beans still have me adding extra time. I too set a timer so tha I can be there for the safety confirmation, I've lost one roast because I accidentally hit cool instead of start.

With my original I had 4 bean ignition events. I bought the new one because one day the old one stopped heating up - I figured it was dead at 5 or so years old and bought the new one. But later I contacted Joe and got a replacement board - easy to replace and now the old one works fine again. I can't say enough good things about this roaster and the company that makes it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yes, I've cleaned it.

My original 1600 is exactly the same. It's treated me well and I'm using it til it dies.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Hello, coffee people. Recovering Keurig user here with a question and a...warning, I suppose.

My not-all-that-bad Cuisinart Keurig died after a few years of service. Bought a new Keurig machine and was just repulsed by the build quality and taste, so I decided to explore alternatives. Settled on the Chemex Ottomatic because it was pretty and any pour-over method is superior to pod consumption.

Huge disappointment. Machine #1 leaked water out of the bottom and deployed water at a pathetic 135 degrees. Just got a replacement yesterday and it's up to 160 degrees. Knowing next to nothing about coffee, I still realize lukewarm brews should not be the result of a $300 machine claiming to dispense at 195-205. Are these units known for piss-poor quality control, or just outright deceptive advertising?

It's going back. I've since discovered the Bonavita, OXO, and Moccamaster. Any way to narrow these down? I only drink 2-3 cups a day max, so having a carafe or pot that can keep it relatively fresh over a 6-7 hour period would be ideal. I just want hot, fresh, smooth coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use the Chemex without the dumb auto part.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I've since discovered the Bonavita, OXO, and Moccamaster. Any way to narrow these down? I only drink 2-3 cups a day max, so having a carafe or pot that can keep it relatively fresh over a 6-7 hour period would be ideal. I just want hot, fresh, smooth coffee.

I have a Moccamaster with a thermal carafe. It's pretty awesome and will definitely keep coffee hot/warm for several hours. My wife will frequently make coffee at 5:00 AM and it'll still be pretty warm (but not hot!) when I get up around 10:00. If you're looking at 6-7 hours, and you've already drank some of the coffee, you're gonna have cold coffee left over, since the coffee with lose heat to the air that's in the carafe.

If you want it to be hot all day, get a Thermos like this one and pour your coffee into that once you've brewed it. It's another thing to wash out later, so that part kind of sucks, but it will absolutely keep your coffee hot. I have 32oz size of that Thermos and as a test, I filled it with just-boiled water and then buried it in snow on my back deck and left it overnight. Water was still extremely hot in the morning.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Nesco roaster? I've been roasting for a while, started with air popper, then with heat gun +dog bowl, but for Christmas this year my parents got me the Nesco. Heat gun method worked fine, I was able to get decently even roasts with it and do a half pound at a time, but it was hard to get it completely even, and certain beans would be more trouble than others. The other downside to this method is obviously the constant stirring for 10-15 minutes straight but not bad to do once a week.

The nesco is awesome in a couple of ways. With 1/4 lb batches at a time it gets a really even roast, and you just have to press a button and that's it. There is a catalytic converter which makes it have zero smoke and I can just do it inside my house while I'm doing other poo poo. The downside is it's so loud you can't control the roast at all or hear 1st or 2nd crack. I've also noticed the beans I've roasted with it not having the most complex flavor. I usually only buy African beans and try to roast lighter and get the bright, fruity flavor profiles, but all the beans I've put through the nesco taste kind of bland. Going by looks since I can't hear 1st crack, they seem to usually come out city+ or full city. The manual recommends a minimum time of 20 minutes (this makes it a 15 minute roast with 5 minutes of cool down). I guess I should go ahead and try to say screw it and lower the time by a couple of minutes? Anyone have any thoughts?

I guess it could be the beans themselves and I've had bad luck. My last batch I ordered from coffee bean corral, and in between I had one leftover 1/2 lb of Ethiopian from happy mug which actually did come out a little better flavor wise, so my latest order was all from happy mug to see if that makes a difference.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Google Butt posted:

My original 1600 is exactly the same. It's treated me well and I'm using it til it dies.

I used P2 for the first time this weekend. I had to abort and pull up P5 for the last minute.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

My lifestyle is about to be up-ended as I move into a new home and, *gasp*, I'll have space to entertain. I suspect we'll host brunches + dinners, and I've only got a V60 and a French Press to my name.

So - what's the best way to make a pot of coffee for such occasional occasions? My first thought was a Chemex and a Thermal Carafe. But - should I stuff my snobbery and get a Bonavita BV1900TS? An OXO 9-Cup Barista Brain? The Zojirushi deal?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Guitarchitect posted:

So - what's the best way to make a pot of coffee for such occasional occasions? My first thought was a Chemex and a Thermal Carafe. But - should I stuff my snobbery and get a Bonavita BV1900TS? An OXO 9-Cup Barista Brain? The Zojirushi deal?

Bonavita BV1900TS is the best, most practical option IMO. Plus it's a bit lower on the price range, so if you want you can use the money saved to buy a nice grinder (if you don't have one already).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Guitarchitect posted:

My lifestyle is about to be up-ended as I move into a new home and, *gasp*, I'll have space to entertain. I suspect we'll host brunches + dinners, and I've only got a V60 and a French Press to my name.

In my case, not a single one of my friends can tell the difference between good pourover and gas station coffee. And they're gonna put cream/sugar in it anyway. So if you're like me, just get a cheap drip machine (Cuisinart, etc.) and save yourself some money.

Or get a Technivorm. Because at least then they'll be impressed with how it looks.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's the best non-dairy milk substitute for lattes and caps? I think I remember soy milk being pretty difficult to texturize properly?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

dik-dik posted:

What's the best non-dairy milk substitute for lattes and caps? I think I remember soy milk being pretty difficult to texturize properly?

You can get pretty good results with both Almond and Soy, it just takes some practice to get the texture you want, since it doesn't behave the same way as dairy would.

I think it also depends what brand you get, but I use Pacific's barista blends at work, and we can get great results with it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I've had much better luck with soy than almond milk, but to be fair, I only tried one almond milk brand. The foam and more liquid milk just didn't want to mix properly so I had a pitcher that was just half foam and half hot almond milk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I see this in every cafe

It seems like the industry hates soy milk now because I don't see it anywhere.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

There's still that pacifica barista-specific soymilk, forget the exact name of it. But still, none of them steam worth a drat - the threshold between macrofoam and just hot liquid is so narrow.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Guitarchitect posted:

Syphon pot! :2bong:

Mine makes 8 cups, so it's still not huge, but it's pretty quick.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.
This is potentially a stupid question, but are all french presses basically the same, and if you pay more you're chiefly paying for it being shinier? I've picked up a fairly basic one for about $10 and proceeded to make pretty lovely burnt-tasting coffee with it, but am I right to put that down to my own inability to follow instructions or can I safely blame my equipment and make myself feel better?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cobblers posted:

This is potentially a stupid question, but are all french presses basically the same, and if you pay more you're chiefly paying for it being shinier? I've picked up a fairly basic one for about $10 and proceeded to make pretty lovely burnt-tasting coffee with it, but am I right to put that down to my own inability to follow instructions or can I safely blame my equipment and make myself feel better?

The only real difference is in how well they will filter out the finer stuff when you press them. But really the key to that is using a good grinder that gives a consistent grind size. If it tasted burnt, you were probably using over-roasted coffee (eg Starbucks).

A french press shouldn't be expensive. It's a pretty simple design.

But things like grind size (you want it coarse), coffee selection, and steep time are all important, and will contribute far more to the finished cup than what press you're using.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The only real difference is in how well they will filter out the finer stuff when you press them. But really the key to that is using a good grinder that gives a consistent grind size. If it tasted burnt, you were probably using over-roasted coffee (eg Starbucks).

A french press shouldn't be expensive. It's a pretty simple design.

But things like grind size (you want it coarse), coffee selection, and steep time are all important, and will contribute far more to the finished cup than what press you're using.

Thanks, I did think the design itself couldn't really be that different. I've also been using a relatively cheap electric grinder which yields a pretty fine grind or a very inconsistent one. I'll switch things up and continue experimenting, cheers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cobblers posted:

Thanks, I did think the design itself couldn't really be that different. I've also been using a relatively cheap electric grinder which yields a pretty fine grind or a very inconsistent one. I'll switch things up and continue experimenting, cheers.

It could also just be way overextracted because the grind was too fine and the bitterness is making it taste sort of burnt. Especially if it's a darker roast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're using a cheap grinder it will never taste better.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're using a cheap grinder it will never taste better.

rockcity posted:

It could also just be way overextracted because the grind was too fine and the bitterness is making it taste sort of burnt. Especially if it's a darker roast.

Thanks, yeah it's a blade grinder as well, which seems to give a really inconsistent grind unless you keep going until it's too fine. I'll have a look at some of the ceramic burr hand grinders that have been recommended here.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 7, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks to those suggestions earlier, managed to get things pretty on-point.

Then Pact sent me a different blend, and I have to start tuning in the grind again. woo.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Cobblers posted:

Thanks, yeah it's a blade grinder as well, which seems to give a really inconsistent grind unless you keep going until it's too fine. I'll have a look at some of the ceramic burr hand grinders that have been recommended here.

In the meantime just make pour over. French press is among the most finicky method where grind is concerned.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Do not buy a hand grinder. Buy the $100 capresso infinity.

Do not buy a hand grinder.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yeah, if you want to do any remotely coarse grind, run far far away from hand grinders.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Do not buy a hand grinder. Buy the $100 capresso infinity.

They can be had for $80 with a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon. Seriously, get the Capresso.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah, and don't try to remove the bottom burr for cleaning..

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

If you boil water in a kettle before adding it to a moka pot, it's way easier to make a cup. The water starts to boil almost as soon as you put it on the stove, there is almost no chance of burning the coffee (I used to do this quite a bit) and if you cool the pot after brewing it reduces the metallic taste. A golden color coming out of the spout is usually when I stop the brewing.

The moka pot has been faster and more reliable for me than my french press. I can set my electric kettle in about 10 seconds, get ready for work, then come down and take a minute or so to brew some great coffee.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, and don't try to remove the bottom burr for cleaning..

Also this. I screwed up mine trying to give it a really deep cleaning before giving it to my brother. The grind size doesn't really adjust well anymore, but thankfully it's sort of stuck in a drip brew grind and that's what my brother uses it for.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here have experience with adding a motor to a whirley pop? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to do.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
When I was doing my research on the Behmor 1600 plus I was seeing a lot of discussions concerning: Can the unit effectively roast beans to second crack?

I saw numerous anecdotal responses, distilled here for ease of discussion:

No.
Yes, but if you tell it your roasting X amount of beans but put in X-numberofouncesgramswhateverotherspergymeasurment (seriously, people were splitting hairs on the unit of measurement for the subtraction... good lord).
Yes but you must mod it by insertcrazyassshithere
Buy a Huky.

To me all of these responses were "No", because I want to roast 1lb to second crack. My presumption was that people were running into the same problems that heat gun detractors run into: insufficient electrical. This could be extension cords, competition on the drop, whatever. I never had these heat gun issues because I used a drop on the patio that nothing else was plugged into that ran all the way back to the main distribution box. My gun roasted like a champ and I theorized the Behmor would too.

Final result for the anecdotal pile:
It does. I can totally ignite a 1lb charge of beans with 2 minutes left on 1lb-P3-C, which means I still have 5 minutes of roast time to play with using extensions. I'm seriously entertaining the notion of overloading it at this point.

Anywhoo... for those perhaps interested in a Behmor, maybe check the drop you want to hook it to as the best indicator of its capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

Anywhoo... for those perhaps interested in a Behmor, maybe check the drop you want to hook it to as the best indicator of its capability.
Totally agree - also, for what it's worth, the + seems to handle a low drop much better than the original. I have no problems reaching the 2nd crack. I usually roast 1/2 pounds, because I'm mainly making espresso, but the next roast I do for work I'll give a shot at 20 oz and see if there's any trouble.