Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At least the kits Dragon manufactures are way better than the instructions, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

That reminds me of the amazing 1/6 scale model Deusenburg that is on display in the museum in Carlsbad, CA. Pictures can be found here - http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Chenot.htm (scroll down quite a ways for a big batch of photo's that are clickable). There are also links on that page to the video's of them starting the engine.. what? Yes, the tiny little engine runs as an actual internal combustion engine, not electric or air.

Some people in the world are just amazing craftsmen and build amazing things.

I probably shouldn't show this to the Mercedes guy or he'll add "Build a working engine" to his task list.

What am I talking about? I'll show him right now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

I probably shouldn't show this to the Mercedes guy or he'll add "Build a working engine" to his task list.

What am I talking about? I'll show him right now.

You are an evil person. Hahaha..

You should probably point out the working transmission and differential too. :v:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 7, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

You are an evil person. Hahaha..

You should probably point out the working transmission and differential too. :v:

I have a 1/8 scale r/c vehicle that has a transmission and differential, but those seem downright simple and easy compared to that drat engine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

At least the kits Dragon manufactures are way better than the instructions, right?

Yes, the quality of Dragon kits is high. Make sure to try and get ones with Magic Tracks though, their "styrene 100" tracks aren't really better than old vinyl ones.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yes, the quality of Dragon kits is high. Make sure to try and get ones with Magic Tracks though, their "styrene 100" tracks aren't really better than old vinyl ones.

The quality of some Dragon kits is high. Others are garbage. It really behooves you to read reviews before buying. And yes, their Dragon Styrene ("DS") tracks are really pretty bad.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Really? I've seen great to mediocre, never garbage. Which ones are bad?

Edit: bought some Hussar brass ammo and Aber photo etch for my T-34-85, if I don't put it together soon I'll end up replacing every part of the kit with resin and metal.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Going back to building cars in 1:24 for a bit feels really weird coming from my usual from my usual 1:8 . Everything looks hilariously cute and tiny

That's a VW Golf 1 GTI engine waiting for its mating with the "engine room". It actually takes a bit of effort relearning how to handle these tiny things.

A bit of a warning about the Pocher Aventador I guess.

While the parts one can directly see look absolutely great...

... the ones that will be mostly hidden.... not so much

There is a chance things will look better after more stuff is added, but the thing about how it will look totally great even unpainted? Total lie.

Also had a chance to work on my train a bit and added the sandbox and pipes, some steps, vents, etc.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

Also had a chance to work on my train a bit and added the sandbox and pipes, some steps, vents, etc.

If it doesn't run on ground coal I'm gonna call you lazy

(obviously not, it's lovely work)

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I DID get some model train coal for the tender.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is that teeny models of coal or real coal treated to not make a mess?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Coal is reactive with air. Plastic coal is better.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jonny Nox posted:

Coal is reactive with air. Plastic coal is better.

Yet another way in which petroleum ruined the coal industry!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have tips for stripping chromed parts? I'm finishing up the Bandai Phasma kit and she is shiny as poo poo, which is fine by me, but I need to get some of that poo poo off her hands and blaster to paint the right parts black. Or can I just paint over it? (I'm assuming that would be a massive pain, though)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cthulu Carl posted:

Anyone have tips for stripping chromed parts? I'm finishing up the Bandai Phasma kit and she is shiny as poo poo, which is fine by me, but I need to get some of that poo poo off her hands and blaster to paint the right parts black. Or can I just paint over it? (I'm assuming that would be a massive pain, though)

Bleach is what you want. The toilet cleaning stuff.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Get a bag, fill with oven cleaner foam, dump the parts in there, let sit overnight, preferably outside and on something thats not affected by possible heat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yet another way in which petroleum ruined the coal industry!

It's really saying something about how nasty coal is that scale modellers just go with a substitute.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Can I ask a really, really stupid newbie question that I can't seem to find a single clear answer to?

What's the best way to paint open landing gear bays and to put the gear themselves in? Should I just paint them first, mask with cotton swabs/makeup sponges, paint the rest of the model, and then superglue the landing gear in place? Or is there a better method?

Also, if I want to make an enamel wash to dirty up the gear struts and such, just to give them a nice general patina of use, can I use the same enamel wash that I use to do pin washes for panel lines or should it be at a different consistency? Also at what point should I be wiping the wash off?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MJP posted:

Can I ask a really, really stupid newbie question that I can't seem to find a single clear answer to?

What's the best way to paint open landing gear bays and to put the gear themselves in? Should I just paint them first, mask with cotton swabs/makeup sponges, paint the rest of the model, and then superglue the landing gear in place? Or is there a better method?

Also, if I want to make an enamel wash to dirty up the gear struts and such, just to give them a nice general patina of use, can I use the same enamel wash that I use to do pin washes for panel lines or should it be at a different consistency? Also at what point should I be wiping the wash off?

I usually paint up the bays during construction then fill with paper towel/whatever when doing rest of the plane. This is especially true for white.

Sometimes (Spitfires and esp. WW2 german stuff) I put it off to the end.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Get a bag, fill with oven cleaner foam, dump the parts in there, let sit overnight, preferably outside and on something thats not affected by possible heat.

I do this too but I usually only have to wait about 15 minutes.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Looks like I need better oven cleaner.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Looks like I need better oven cleaner.

I use Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner, if you're going shopping! I guess maybe there's different kinds of plating to strip that could affect it too?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Morane-Saulnier type N, 1/32nd, Special Hobby.

Meh. Doesn't look too bad now but it was a struggle all the way.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Special hobby - aptly named?

(Looks nice BTW. I'm not brave enough yet to try my hand at First World War aircraft.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

I absolutely love this. any insights or tips to share?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yes.

bewbies posted:

I absolutely love this. any insights or tips to share?

Get a Wingnut Wings kit instead, I hear they're excellent.

... oh, I'm a big whiny baby. It's a short run kit, there were bits that didn't fit and the decals were out of register but it worked out OK in the end, there were some nice resin and PE bits and the rigging wasn't as horrendous as I was afraid of. Test fitting and not being afraid to cut stuff up to make it fit are the key here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

(Looks nice BTW. I'm not brave enough yet to try my hand at First World War aircraft.)

My understanding is that they tend to produce rarer aircraft types on a not-quite-garage-kit limited run basis. Extensive amounts of hobby know-how is expected. They're also expensive.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure this is a dumb question but do you actually stretch and dope the fabric on a model like that?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Someone in the Idiots on Social Media thread found a Serious Issue

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone painted their Star Wars X-wing Miniatures in a rainbow. This is clearly a move by "the gays" to infringe on more of are Christian rights.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

bewbies posted:

I'm sure this is a dumb question but do you actually stretch and dope the fabric on a model like that?

Nope, that's just painted plastic. There are some framework/fabric kits out there but I'm not doing that.

Jesus christ.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Unkempt posted:

I absolutely love that finish. Beautiful work.

Decided to keep brushpainting instead of airbrushing the VW Golf, at least for the time being and am pleasently surprised how the "engine room" turned out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I picked up loads of those little rubber animals when I was in Disney. They have a great line of teeny dragons.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

How in the name of god is he fabricating all those metal bits?

Judging by some of his tools and methods I have a feeling his day job is a Watchsmith. Machining tiny, thin, and flexible metals is a skill not many have to learn. He also has some patches of jeweling on the car that looks straight from a watch case.

That dude is good.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I always keep a milk crate or two nearby, just so i avoid the urge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lovely picture but I made and planted the first tree on the layout. I didn't know what I was doing but I sprinkled some tree stuff on a tree trunk and now I have a tree???

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Baronjutter posted:

lovely picture but I made and planted the first tree on the layout. I didn't know what I was doing but I sprinkled some tree stuff on a tree trunk and now I have a tree???

Looks good!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Fun fact for those who might not know—that silver/metal bit on the back of the prop is to deflect bullets from the Hotchkiss machine gun. It didn't have an interruptor mechanism (which ensures that the gun only fires when the prop blades aren't at 12 and 6); you just pulled the trigger and hoped that the next bullet wouldn't be the one that overstressed the prop and shot it straight off.

WWI was a crazy time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Jeherrin posted:

Fun fact for those who might not know—that silver/metal bit on the back of the prop is to deflect bullets from the Hotchkiss machine gun. It didn't have an interruptor mechanism (which ensures that the gun only fires when the prop blades aren't at 12 and 6); you just pulled the trigger and hoped that the next bullet wouldn't be the one that overstressed the prop and shot it straight off.

WWI was a crazy time.

It's also pre-aileron. All those wires are for wing-warping, just like the Wright brothers used.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's time for Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

But with a quick addition of an anti-tank gun, it turns into the Waffentrager auf Ersatzpanzerscheissewagen Mazda T-2000 (j)!

It's good that the ramp thing on the rear gate limits the traverse of the gun, since the trails can't deploy all the way anyway.

Commubot helpfully displays the underside of the vehicle. It's quite nice, aside from the four very obvious screws holding the thing together. If you really care about the underside of your crapcar, filling in the holes would be difficult.

Commubot readily defeats his foes.

Putting the kit together was surprisingly painless once I cleaned up the hilariously huge flash plastic. I didn't bother with the interior since it was sealed off anyway, but you get some cabin details with levers and the steering wheel and such. I got lazy with the paint, giving the car a coat of green and then a coat of rust red with the silly putty method to imitate basic camo on a primer sort of effect. Sadly, while it's easy to leave off the rear tires and the spare until you're done painting, it's impossible to pull off the same trick with the front tire.

Very cheap, not too lovely, and a lot of fun to build: the perfect crapkit choice. 10/10 would build crap again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Very cheap, not too lovely, and a lot of fun to build: the perfect crapkit choice. 10/10 would build crap again.

Lovely! Also holy poo poo, that thing has a long bed.