Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sharktamer posted:

Can't you use normal reinand with a9lh though?

You can I suppose. I'm not sure why you would though when aureinand is more up to date and has more features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I have a 3DS with a Gateway using EmuNAND (I don't even know what OFW I'm running, it's low). I have a 16GB SD-card inside the 3DS, and another 16GB microSD in the Gateway.

What I really want is to just keep the EmuNAND and using the internal SD-card for .cia-files instead of using the microSD in the Gateway. What's the best way to make this happen? What kind of size SD-card is recommended? Can I keep my EmuNAND partition if I switch to a bigger SD-card?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Grawl posted:

I have a 3DS with a Gateway using EmuNAND (I don't even know what OFW I'm running, it's low). I have a 16GB SD-card inside the 3DS, and another 16GB microSD in the Gateway.

What I really want is to just keep the EmuNAND and using the internal SD-card for .cia-files instead of using the microSD in the Gateway. What's the best way to make this happen? What kind of size SD-card is recommended? Can I keep my EmuNAND partition if I switch to a bigger SD-card?

16GB is alright, 32GB is better. (Reportedly, bigger sizes up to 128GB will work if you format them to fat32.) For CIA files, and if you're not going to use the Gateway anymore, you'd probably be best off upgrading sysNAND to 9.2 and emuNAND to 10.7, though you'd want to use something else to boot that emuNAND, since Gateway's launcher only works up to 9.2. (That said, you'd be able to still use the Gateway with the sysNAND by holding B while selecting the "Launch Gateway Mode" setting in the launcher.) Also yes, it's possible to transfer an emuNAND from one SD card to another.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

m2pt5 posted:

16GB is alright, 32GB is better. (Reportedly, bigger sizes up to 128GB will work if you format them to fat32.) For CIA files, and if you're not going to use the Gateway anymore, you'd probably be best off upgrading sysNAND to 9.2 and emuNAND to 10.7, though you'd want to use something else to boot that emuNAND, since Gateway's launcher only works up to 9.2. (That said, you'd be able to still use the Gateway with the sysNAND by holding B while selecting the "Launch Gateway Mode" setting in the launcher.) Also yes, it's possible to transfer an emuNAND from one SD card to another.

I want to use my Gateway to boot into EmuNAND and go from there installing CIA-files. Unless that's dumb.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 6, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I can't run DSiQare from EmuNAND for some reason.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Grawl posted:

I want to use my Gateway to boot into EmuNAND and go from there installing CIA-files. Unless that's dumb.

You don't need a gateway to do that, about the only thing a gateway is good for these days is cheating, everything else can be supplanted via CFW.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Caithness posted:

Okay, thanks.

Also, has anyone else noticed any trouble waking from sleep or the system clock running slow on CakesFW?

FWIW, i've been using CakesFW on a N3DS for months and my system clock is always on time. I haven't had any problems with sleep wakeup either when sticking to normal nintendo software (all bets are off when it comes to other homebrew)

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

The Iron Rose posted:

You don't need a gateway to do that, about the only thing a gateway is good for these days is cheating, everything else can be supplanted via CFW.

OK, so just get a big SD-card and start from the beginning by installing CFW?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

The Iron Rose posted:

Unfortunately, running DS roms is just about the only thing you can't do with a hacked 3ds. You have to get a flashcart for that.

What you can do is use a CFW 3ds (though at this point you may as well a9lh it) to whitelist old DS flashcarts, which otherwise wouldn't work.

Nevertheless, here's the best and most updated guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

If you don't want a9lh then you should really install ReiNand or RxTools and CtrBootManager to autoboot to emuNAND instead of having to go through the Homebrew Launcher every time, but there's really no reason not to get a9lh at this point.

Can I use a SDXC card?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Grawl posted:

OK, so just get a big SD-card and start from the beginning by installing CFW?

Basically, 16 or 32 gigs will be fine. I'd get 32 since they're dirt cheap.

Xinlum posted:

Can I use a SDXC card?

SDXC and SDHC cards refer to the same thing, with the caveat that SDHC tends to refer to cards between 4 and 32 gigs. So it doesn't matter.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xinlum posted:

Can I use a SDXC card?

The Iron Rose posted:

Basically, 16 or 32 gigs will be fine. I'd get 32 since they're dirt cheap.

SDXC and SDHC cards refer to the same thing, with the caveat that SDHC tends to refer to cards between 4 and 32 gigs. So it doesn't matter.

The other caveat is that you have to format SDXC cards to FAT32. The 3DS will not read exFAT.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The other caveat is that you have to format SDXC cards to FAT32. The 3DS will not read exFAT.

Sorry, yeah, can't believe I forgot that. Fat32, cluster size 64kb but that really doesn't matter and just shaves a bit of time off (read: like a second or two at most) of boot apparently.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Well it took all day but I finished with no hiccups! I want to test everything out and got a .3ds file. How do I use it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Xinlum posted:

Well it took all day but I finished with no hiccups! I want to test everything out and got a .3ds file. How do I use it?

You don't, customfirmware and a9lh CFW don't use .3ds files, they use .cia files instead. To use it you put it somewhere on your SD card (I have my .cia files in a folder rather uncreatively titled CIA), and then install with your title manager of choice.

The main title managers people use are FBI and BigBlueMenu/DevMenu. FBI can be injected into the health and safety app with decrypt9, or installed on its own as its own app. The plailect guide details the health and safety injection process.

FBI is apparently slightly inconsistent with installing games and poo poo so while I have FBI installed I also have BigBlueMenu as well, which I use predominately.

I'm not actually sure what, if any, differences there are between devmenu and bigbluemenu.

.3dses are used by gateway/sky3ds cards, and they're much less convenient than cias since they can't be used online. If you want to use a .3ds file online then you need to build a private header for it, since using a public header is one of the only ways to actually have your account (temporarily) banned by nintendo. As far as I'm aware the only other way I've heard of someone getting their account banned is by trying to change their eshop region without changing the region of the rest of their system, and nobody really knew what they were doing at the time and the NAND got all hosed up.

cia games, by contrast, can be played online with no problems. There's really no reason to use .3ds roms anymore.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

You don't, customfirmware and a9lh CFW don't use .3ds files, they use .cia files instead. To use it you put it somewhere on your SD card (I have my .cia files in a folder rather uncreatively titled CIA), and then install with your title manager of choice.

The main title managers people use are FBI and BigBlueMenu/DevMenu. FBI can be injected into the health and safety app with decrypt9, or installed on its own as its own app. The plailect guide details the health and safety injection process.

FBI is apparently slightly inconsistent with installing games and poo poo so while I have FBI installed I also have BigBlueMenu as well, which I use predominately.

I'm not actually sure what, if any, differences there are between devmenu and bigbluemenu.

.3dses are used by gateway/sky3ds cards, and they're much less convenient than cias since they can't be used online. If you want to use a .3ds file online then you need to build a private header for it, since using a public header is one of the only ways to actually have your account (temporarily) banned by nintendo. As far as I'm aware the only other way I've heard of someone getting their account banned is by trying to change their eshop region without changing the region of the rest of their system, and nobody really knew what they were doing at the time and the NAND got all hosed up.

cia games, by contrast, can be played online with no problems. There's really no reason to use .3ds roms anymore.

You can convert 3ds to cia.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can convert 3ds to cia.

I entirely forgot to mention that. There's a good guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/40etaz/tutorial_dumping_3ds_carts_and_converting_3ds/

still at this point it's rare you'll find a .3ds but no .cia

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I entirely forgot to mention that. There's a good guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/40etaz/tutorial_dumping_3ds_carts_and_converting_3ds/

still at this point it's rare you'll find a .3ds but no .cia

True in most cases, but still applicable when you're dumping your own carts for backup. Uncart only dumps them in .3ds.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Ok so I converted my .3ds to .cia and it is installing. Will I need to keep the cia file on my SD card or is it safe to delete?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Xinlum posted:

Ok so I converted my .3ds to .cia and it is installing. Will I need to keep the cia file on my SD card or is it safe to delete?

You can delete the CIA file itself after installing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I can vouch for DevMenu, it can be installed as its own CIA and it's pretty solid.

Edit: Though you'll need to use an injected FBI to install it in the first place.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

It feels nice to finally be done. Took about 5 hours starting from 10.7 to getting everything done. So besides ripping my carts to SD and emulated games, any other nifty things to check out with my freshly hacked DS? I remember getting my Wii to do pretty nice things like play DVDs, stream media, hack Brawl like crazy, ect.

Also do I need to keep all of those emuNAND and sysNAND backups I made throughout the guide or do I just need 1 or two of them?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Xinlum posted:

It feels nice to finally be done. Took about 5 hours starting from 10.7 to getting everything done. So besides ripping my carts to SD and emulated games, any other nifty things to check out with my freshly hacked DS? I remember getting my Wii to do pretty nice things like play DVDs, stream media, hack Brawl like crazy, ect.

Also do I need to keep all of those emuNAND and sysNAND backups I made throughout the guide or do I just need 1 or two of them?

At the very least, keep your pre and post-A9LH sysnand backups. 2.1.0 in case you lose your OTP bin files. Emunand doesn't matter if you're only using sysnand.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Can I use any old DS flashcart if I have a cfw installed?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

shaitan posted:

You'd have to load a TWL firmware. That's what is dictating DS flashcart blacklisting.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

shaitan posted:

Yes, though the newest release of AuReiNand for a9lh does it for you automatically. Just place firmware_agb.bin and firmware_twl.bin into the /aurei/ folder

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

It might depend on the flashcart though. My old CycloDS doesn't even recognize as anything when I put it in the slot, but it still works perfectly fine in my DS Lite.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

It might depend on the flashcart though. My old CycloDS doesn't even recognize as anything when I put it in the slot, but it still works perfectly fine in my DS Lite.

CycloDS should work after putting in a TWL firmware that removes the blocks.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

CycloDS should work after putting in a TWL firmware that removes the blocks.

Well, this list doesn't even name the old Cyclo, just the DSi version, so I'm not counting on it working at all. Doesn't matter much anyway, as my DSTWO+ works fine in DS mode on my 10.7 emuNAND.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Finally able to come to this topic after spending half a day getting to A9LH. Using FTP makes backing up my games and uploading homebrew a lot less painful. It still takes a while, but I don't have to take the SD card out repeatedly which was the worst part.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 7, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Well, this list doesn't even name the old Cyclo, just the DSi version, so I'm not counting on it working at all. Doesn't matter much anyway, as my DSTWO+ works fine in DS mode on my 10.7 emuNAND.

You know what? I totally forgot Cyclo had to make the CycloDSi Evolution because the DS Evolution was totally incompatible with DSi and the 3DS acts like a DSi when in DS mode. I'd expect the DSi Evolution to work however. But yeah, after a having a semi-current R4 or the DSTWO, not really a problem.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

halokiller posted:

Finally able to come to this topic after spending half a day getting to A9LH. Using FTP makes backing up my games and uploading homebrew a lot less painful. It still takes a while, but I don't have to take the SD card out repeatedly which was the worst part.

It's even better if you use the New 3DS's microSD Management. (Which, incidentally, works perfectly well on the old 3DS as a standalone app.)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You know what? I totally forgot Cyclo had to make the CycloDSi Evolution because the DS Evolution was totally incompatible with DSi and the 3DS acts like a DSi when in DS mode. I'd expect the DSi Evolution to work however. But yeah, after a having a semi-current R4 or the DSTWO, not really a problem.

The only real problem I have with the DSTWO is I can't leave it in the cart slot when I'm not using it, as it absolutely devours battery when the 3DS is in sleep mode.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 7, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What, why would that even happen? I've got a DSTWO in my card slot all the time.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

sharktamer posted:

What, why would that even happen? I've got a DSTWO in my card slot all the time.

The processor seems to always be running, draining battery life, and heating the hell up.

m2pt5 posted:

My understanding is TWL patching only makes it so that any flashcart that has ever run on 3DS can run again. For older cards that never worked, apache thunder's TWL Slot-1 Loader along with the TWL patch should work.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
This is going to sound kinda dumb but how can you tell if the NTR clock speed stuff is actually working?
I have the version of NTR with it built in and sometimes I'm not noticing any extra speed on say Pokemon X during battle scenes.

The menu always shows 268MHz as selected but I'm not sure if it's not being set or if that's just how the menu was written.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Flagrama posted:

My understanding is TWL patching only makes it so that any flashcart that has ever run on 3DS can run again. For older cards that never worked, apache thunder's TWL Slot-1 Loader along with the TWL patch should work.

That is true but as mentioned before. It still wouldn't work as the 3DS when in DS mode works as a DSi which the CycloDS Evolution never worked on.

The list of known working cards in Slot-1 Loader were DSi Flashcarts if I recall correctly.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you can buy a r4i gold for $15 and they work on the n3ds out of the box. that's what i did and i highly recommend it.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ok thanks, I have an old Cyclo so I'll look into getting a DSTWO or whatever at some point.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I haven't had time to dig into this yet but I'm interested in putting cfw on my new 3ds. Do all cfws require the cubic ninja hack or is there a free workaround?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I haven't had time to dig into this yet but I'm interested in putting cfw on my new 3ds. Do all cfws require the cubic ninja hack or is there a free workaround?

Depends on what FW you're on currently. Anything on 10.6 and up needs either Cubic Ninja or OoT3D with power saves (or access to a homebrewed 3DS to load the hacked save file). Lower firmwares have options.

Ninja edit: Smashax sort of works, but the setup is dumb and stupid and I hate it so much and did it 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

It depends which firmware version you're on. Below 10.6 and you can use browserhax, which is entirely free. Above 10.6 and you need Zelda OOT with a hacked save (i.e. you need a datel powersave card or someone with a hacked 3ds to hack your save for you) or cubic ninja.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

• Locked thread