Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topsy Kretts
Mar 5, 2007
What would be the best thread to post my budget and 'current life situation' info in? Would like to bounce my overall picture off some other goons and see where I might have holes because God drat am I not doing this on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Make a new thread and link it here

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Moneyball posted:

Part of the balance is from an old 401k I rolled over and converted to a Roth IRA- that counted as contributions for this scenario?

I think this is one of the scenarios where taking out contributions from a Roth IRA is penalized. I think it has to be 5 years after the date of the conversion before you can take out the money that originated from the 401k without penalty.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Ancillary Character posted:

I think this is one of the scenarios where taking out contributions from a Roth IRA is penalized. I think it has to be 5 years after the date of the conversion before you can take out the money that originated from the 401k without penalty.

drat.

I could still take out $5,500 I guess. That gets about a quarter of my debt taken care of, and the sooner that's gone, the sooner I start contributing again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Topsy Kretts posted:

What would be the best thread to post my budget and 'current life situation' info in? Would like to bounce my overall picture off some other goons and see where I might have holes because God drat am I not doing this on reddit.

It depends a little bit. If you think you are in a good position and just want to sanity check your numbers, there is a dedicated budget thread that is good for general discussion and that sort of check in. However, if your situation involves a ton of debt or you don't really feel like you know what you are doing (or can't work out a budget that actually seems to help) then you can always create your own thread. A personal thread is good if you feel like you need a lot of input and help working through things, particularly over time and not just for a once-off check.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a couple of questions for future

My wife is a 1099 contractor. When we attempt to figure out how much to set aside for taxes, do we need to also put 1 dependent for her calculations if I'm already claiming our son on my W-4? If this doesn't make sense, I apologize.

Secondly, is there a place where I could use to get the amount we should be setting aside for taxes? I've used PaycheckCity.com for a bit but wanted to be sure I'm not seeing a better tool.

I heard this advice from Dave Ramsey when his callers ask this question, and it's a good strategy. A 1099 contractor means your wife is a business and will file schedule C. Have your wife open a separate account, just a regular checking account anywhere is fine. All the business income will always be deposited into that account. All the business expenses come out of that account, and only out of that account. Anything she withdraws is by definition profit. You can go crazy on calculations and the IRS worksheets are a joke. Unless your tax situation is really out of whack, 25% withholding should get her pretty close. The point is to get close, you will never hit it exact.

So say she deposits a $5000 into the account, has business expenses of $750, the business profit is $4250. Your household needs that money in the home, joint account. But you can't move it all over. $1,062.50 has to be set aside for income and self employment tax. You can park that in an online savings account or something. Another great thing by having a separate account is come tax time all you have to do is go down your bank statement to know how much you made, how much you spent, and on what

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I heard this advice from Dave Ramsey when his callers ask this question, and it's a good strategy. A 1099 contractor means your wife is a business and will file schedule C. Have your wife open a separate account, just a regular checking account anywhere is fine. All the business income will always be deposited into that account. All the business expenses come out of that account, and only out of that account. Anything she withdraws is by definition profit. You can go crazy on calculations and the IRS worksheets are a joke. Unless your tax situation is really out of whack, 25% withholding should get her pretty close. The point is to get close, you will never hit it exact.

So say she deposits a $5000 into the account, has business expenses of $750, the business profit is $4250. Your household needs that money in the home, joint account. But you can't move it all over. $1,062.50 has to be set aside for income and self employment tax. You can park that in an online savings account or something. Another great thing by having a separate account is come tax time all you have to do is go down your bank statement to know how much you made, how much you spent, and on what

I may have misspoke on which form she uses. She's just a reporter for the local paper so no expenses or anything really. Only mileage is to\from work which isn't counted as far as I know. :shrug: I'll go with the 25% though. It hurts but it's better than paying again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Irritated Goat posted:

I may have misspoke on which form she uses. She's just a reporter for the local paper so no expenses or anything really. Only mileage is to\from work which isn't counted as far as I know. :shrug: I'll go with the 25% though. It hurts but it's better than paying again.

If she is a 1099 she can deduct a poo poo ton more stuff. Just depends how aggressive you wanted to get.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 8, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Irritated Goat posted:

I know journalism and all, but it seems pretty crappy that they 1099'ed her. There are certain tests that the IRS has where they determine if someone is an employee or not. I think one is if they control her schedule or if she does, is she required to attend meetings, can she work for other news organizations? Until then, she is technically not their employee, but rather an independent contractor, thus she is still a business and still files on Schedule C.

It's been years since I did taxes professionally so I'm rusty, but you should ask the tax thread too. But I would still get creative within reason. Does she take work calls on her personal cell phone? Does she ever have to drive anywhere to cover a story or interview someone? Keep track of that mileage. If the drycleaner is on the way and she drops something off, well that doesn't matter since she was going by there anyway for work. Did she buy a computer, scanner, toner, paper? That counts too. Any software purchases, internet so she can work from home? Is there a room in your house or apartment that she uses as an office and that room isn't used for anything else? Well be careful with that one and get some professional advice because home office expenses are tricky, but be thinking of all this now, not next year, and don't assume that she has zero expenses.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I know journalism and all, but it seems pretty crappy that they 1099'ed her. There are certain tests that the IRS has where they determine if someone is an employee or not. I think one is if they control her schedule or if she does, is she required to attend meetings, can she work for other news organizations? Until then, she is technically not their employee, but rather an independent contractor, thus she is still a business and still files on Schedule C.

It's been years since I did taxes professionally so I'm rusty, but you should ask the tax thread too. But I would still get creative within reason. Does she take work calls on her personal cell phone? Does she ever have to drive anywhere to cover a story or interview someone? Keep track of that mileage. If the drycleaner is on the way and she drops something off, well that doesn't matter since she was going by there anyway for work. Did she buy a computer, scanner, toner, paper? That counts too. Any software purchases, internet so she can work from home? Is there a room in your house or apartment that she uses as an office and that room isn't used for anything else? Well be careful with that one and get some professional advice because home office expenses are tricky, but be thinking of all this now, not next year, and don't assume that she has zero expenses.

We could probably work out some deductions for next year. She works at her own pace and is only part time. Reporter is more of a title than anything because she just does the local sections for events and such. I think it's crappy too but the main thing is how much to put aside for taxes so we don't end up owing each year. I guess, in return for the situation, she gets some "perks" like working from home whenever so we don't have to put our son in daycare. Either way though, I do appreciate the info. It'll go a long way into helping us prepare for next year since we didn't save any receipts for deductions this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The odds of an audit are pretty low. You could still deduct a bit is stuff. Every dollar counts man.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

spwrozek posted:

The odds of an audit are pretty low. You could still deduct a bit is stuff. Every dollar counts man.

Yeah, the odds that they will audit a part time newspaper reporter are very low. Be reasonable though, it should still reflect reality. The IRS assigns each type of business activity a special 6 digit code. One thing they do is look at the data per code on a meta scale, and identify outliers, these are more likely to get audited. Which means that if you are deducting something unusual for the line of work you are in but it's legit, you still should, but you better be able to back it up.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
25% sounds a little low to me. Don't you have to withhold an extra 15.3% for her as self employment tax?

For what it's worth, I was trying to figure this out when my wife was looking at a 1099 position. I figured that the easiest way to calculate it was to first just look at where we'd be with just my income, subtract all our deductions and exemptions, and see what tax bracket that put us in (15% for us).

Then we'd just withhold that 15% plus another 15.3% for self employment.

I like the idea of setting up a separate checking account for that job too. It would make it easy to see exactly how much you earned when you do your taxes just by looking at the deposits on your statement.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is there a megathread about credit unions? I remember one a looong time ago but I can't seem to find it now.

I'd like to move my main checking (and possibly savings) accounts to a credit union, preferably a local-ish one (I'm in Tampa, FL). I did some research and people seemed happy with Suncoast so I made an account there and moved a bit of money over to check them out. I guess they're highly rated because their customer service is fine (not that I've needed it much) but everything else about them is pretty bad. The debit/charge card I got is physically flimsy and doesn't have a chip, and swiping it fails 3/4ths of the time. To log in to their online banking, you have to use a password that has a max length of 8 and is only numbers, which makes me (as someone who more or less does online security stuff for a living) super uncomfortable. Transfers between suncoast and other banks are painful too, they seem to have outsourced it entirely so you have to go to a completely different website and use special account numbers (that aren't your normal account numbers, you have to prepend a magic code to them and a bunch of zeroes for some ungodly reason).

Is there a review site that reviews the online aspects of credit unions? Everywhere I look it's either reviews of how friendly the in-person staff are (who I will probably never interact with) or what great interest they offer (I have an Ally account for that, thanks).

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is there a megathread about credit unions? I remember one a looong time ago but I can't seem to find it now.

I'd like to move my main checking (and possibly savings) accounts to a credit union, preferably a local-ish one (I'm in Tampa, FL). I did some research and people seemed happy with Suncoast so I made an account there and moved a bit of money over to check them out. I guess they're highly rated because their customer service is fine (not that I've needed it much) but everything else about them is pretty bad. The debit/charge card I got is physically flimsy and doesn't have a chip, and swiping it fails 3/4ths of the time. To log in to their online banking, you have to use a password that has a max length of 8 and is only numbers, which makes me (as someone who more or less does online security stuff for a living) super uncomfortable. Transfers between suncoast and other banks are painful too, they seem to have outsourced it entirely so you have to go to a completely different website and use special account numbers (that aren't your normal account numbers, you have to prepend a magic code to them and a bunch of zeroes for some ungodly reason).

Is there a review site that reviews the online aspects of credit unions? Everywhere I look it's either reviews of how friendly the in-person staff are (who I will probably never interact with) or what great interest they offer (I have an Ally account for that, thanks).

I'm also in the Tampa area, and I'm with Grow Financial. Their website is fantastic, and there are branches everywhere. Plus, you can use the atm at any Publix for free.

I highly recommend them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dale Sveum posted:

I'm also in the Tampa area, and I'm with Grow Financial. Their website is fantastic, and there are branches everywhere. Plus, you can use the atm at any Publix for free.

I highly recommend them.

I looked into them at one point but decided against them for reasons I can no longer remember, so I guess I'll give them another chance :v:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I am at a loss as to how credit scores work, which I don't think anyone will be surprised at.

I currently have a 774, and my handy dandy bank told me that the top two reasons are:
1 length of time accounts have been established- Ok I can understand this one. I'm 25 and my oldest credit card is only 3 years old. All I can do for this one is wait.

2 Too many accounts with balances- This one is the confusing one. Currently I have 2 credit cards, a student loan, a car loan, and I technically owe a vet a chunk of change for my dog, and it's on a payment plan. I pay off my balances for my main card (BoA travel rewards) either immediately, or within a few days, and my other card (the older one) I never even use. I have a great payment record on the car, student loan, credit card and amputation bill from the vet. I'm hoping to buy a house in the next couple years and would LOVE it if I could get above 800 for that.

If you need numbers of the debt, student loan has approx 4,000 remaining, no interest. Car has approx 11,300 remaining @5.55 % interest, amputation from the vet has 800 remaining @ approx 3% interest. Balance on my card can go up to about 800 a month, since I put almost everything on it, and then immediately pay it off for the points. My dog has been going through chemo, so those can run around 600 just by themselves. I'm not sure what if what I have going is good, bad, or indifferent, but some advice would be nice.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

774 is a good score. What are you concerned about exactly? Do you anticipate needing a large amount of credit in the near future, like for a home mortgage or new car?

If no, don't worry about it and just pay your bills on time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ghostgirl118 posted:

I'm not sure what if what I have going is good, bad, or indifferent, but some advice would be nice.
You're doing fine. ~775 is great for 25, since as you said age of account is one of the biggest contributors to score and it's hard to do much better in that category at your age. You'll likely have no issue hitting 800 in a few years if you keep doing what you're doing. I wouldn't worry about gaming it too much until the time actually comes to apply for a mortgage.

What's the limit on the BoA card that you use (the one with a balance that's usually around $800 at statement date)? Paying that card off more frequently or increasing the limit so as to lower your utilization ratio could provide an instant boost to your score.

edit: Actually what are the limits on both cards, since that'll tell us your overall utilization ratio each month?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ghostgirl118 posted:

I am at a loss as to how credit scores work, which I don't think anyone will be surprised at.

I currently have a 774, and my handy dandy bank told me that the top two reasons are:
1 length of time accounts have been established- Ok I can understand this one. I'm 25 and my oldest credit card is only 3 years old. All I can do for this one is wait.

2 Too many accounts with balances- This one is the confusing one. Currently I have 2 credit cards, a student loan, a car loan, and I technically owe a vet a chunk of change for my dog, and it's on a payment plan. I pay off my balances for my main card (BoA travel rewards) either immediately, or within a few days, and my other card (the older one) I never even use. I have a great payment record on the car, student loan, credit card and amputation bill from the vet. I'm hoping to buy a house in the next couple years and would LOVE it if I could get above 800 for that.

If you need numbers of the debt, student loan has approx 4,000 remaining, no interest. Car has approx 11,300 remaining @5.55 % interest, amputation from the vet has 800 remaining @ approx 3% interest. Balance on my card can go up to about 800 a month, since I put almost everything on it, and then immediately pay it off for the points. My dog has been going through chemo, so those can run around 600 just by themselves. I'm not sure what if what I have going is good, bad, or indifferent, but some advice would be nice.

Credit reports always give the top 4 reasons that are preventing the score from being higher. There are a crazy number of data points that go into the algorithm, probably something like 70 or 80 different measurements. The thing is once you get above 750 everything is great and the reasons why you are not higher still start to get nitpicky. If you paid off one of the accounts with a balance, your score might go up 3 points. You should still pay it off, not to make your score go up 3 points, but so you can get out of debt and have fewer bills. But your credit is fine

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The most common reason people can't seem to budge over 800 in my experience is they keep using too much of their available credit. Never get above 10% balance of your maximum credit limit on any card, even if it's just for a day before you pay it off. If you need to buy a $2000 item on a $10000 credit limit card it can be a problem, yes I know that sounds stupid and it is but short of kicking off the revolution tonight there's not much you can do about it.

The % threshold for triggering a drop in FICO used to be 33%, but it's definitely lower than that now and seems to change multiple times a year, so just stay as low as you can.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Sigh...

Some doofus at the school district (HR or Payroll) fell for a scam e-mail yesterday and sent a PDF with every single employee's name, address, salary and social security number to some lucky criminal.

What shall I expect from here? What should I do?

I put a 90 day fraud alert on my credit at all three agencies.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pryor on Fire posted:

The most common reason people can't seem to budge over 800 in my experience is they keep using too much of their available credit. Never get above 10% balance of your maximum credit limit on any card, even if it's just for a day before you pay it off. If you need to buy a $2000 item on a $10000 credit limit card it can be a problem, yes I know that sounds stupid and it is but short of kicking off the revolution tonight there's not much you can do about it.

The % threshold for triggering a drop in FICO used to be 33%, but it's definitely lower than that now and seems to change multiple times a year, so just stay as low as you can.

Do you have some sources for the things I bolded? The first part especially is at odds with pretty much everything I've seen online (cf Doctor of Credit, for example).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Just pay it off and wait a month for it to go back up to 800 again?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

pig slut lisa posted:

Do you have some sources for the things I bolded? The first part especially is at odds with pretty much everything I've seen online (cf Doctor of Credit, for example).

Keeping your utilization low does affect your score a lot, but there's no history associated with you can just ignore it 99% of the time. When you need credit for a mortgage or a car loan or whatever just worry about it the month before. As your credit score and history go up you should get approved for higher and higher credit limits and the problem will solve itself.

Waiting for the credit card statement to come in and then paying the statement balance in full before the due date is all you need to do to build excellent credit and avoid paying any interest.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

THF13 posted:

Keeping your utilization low does affect your score a lot, but there's no history associated with you can just ignore it 99% of the time. When you need credit for a mortgage or a car loan or whatever just worry about it the month before. As your credit score and history go up you should get approved for higher and higher credit limits and the problem will solve itself.

Waiting for the credit card statement to come in and then paying the statement balance in full before the due date is all you need to do to build excellent credit and avoid paying any interest.

I agree with all that, but that's sort of orthogonal to the claim that Pryor on Fire is making about credit cards reporting utilization on a daily basis.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

spinst posted:

Sigh...

Some doofus at the school district (HR or Payroll) fell for a scam e-mail yesterday and sent a PDF with every single employee's name, address, salary and social security number to some lucky criminal.

What shall I expect from here? What should I do?

I put a 90 day fraud alert on my credit at all three agencies.

I've kept a permanent freeze on my credit at all three agencies and do temporary lifts when I know I'm going to have a credit pull done (eg refinancing our mortgage)

It costs $10 each time at each agency but I don't have to do it very frequently and it's worth the peace of mind

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

I agree with all that, but that's sort of orthogonal to the claim that Pryor on Fire is making about credit cards reporting utilization on a daily basis.

I have never seen a credit card report utilization on a daily basis, ever. It's usually once a month, but the exact time per month varies by card (some are the day the billing period ends, some are some arbitrary day before or after that).

The strategy that THF13 described is really the best: don't worry about utilization until a couple of months before you plan to apply for a loan, and then be careful with how much you spend or start paying it frequently throughout the month so when the card reports it to the bureaus it will always be low/zero.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Are you really going to see any significant difference in your credit offerings between something like 775 and 800 rating? All my experience has been that the cutoffs are further down, and once you're over something like 750 you don't see much in terms of better rates/products.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

They should change the thread title to "Your credit score is not a video game"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I recently checked my wife's credit report with Experian (because they mailed her a strange letter that turned out to be nothing) and her score was 847. I keep a freeze on all accounts, we use two different rewards credit cards and pay them off monthly (have not paid interest in a decade), and she hasn't had a car loan since like 2009 - just the credit cards, a mortgage, and the fact that we are getting old I guess. I have never once worried or cared about credit scores for either one of us (except to make sure her name is on stuff even though all our finances are merged, so if I die or she leaves me it's not a weird pain in the rear end for her to get credit). We have also blown off medical bills occasionally if the doctor was useless and ignored the subsequent collection agency letters.

So in summary, don't worry about your credit score at all, just try to make good financial decisions and it will be fine.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Are you really going to see any significant difference in your credit offerings between something like 775 and 800 rating? All my experience has been that the cutoffs are further down, and once you're over something like 750 you don't see much in terms of better rates/products.

Correct. If you are in the 800 range you really don't need to worry about the few points your utilization will affect your score for the best rates. However, if you are in the 740 range a 10 point dip could.

Utilization is the easiest part of your credit score to manipulate, because of the fact that it has no memory and is only reported on the day that the inquiry is made. That's why we are saying to not worry about it until you are ready to apply for a loan, then just be aware of it and act accordingly.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

They should change the thread title to "Your credit score is not a video game"

:agreed: This is a novel one, we've never had this one before!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Achievement unlocked: Credit Score 800

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Achievement unlocked: Buy horse with saved up rewards points

For content, it's me. I'm BWM. A coworker reminded me I just passed my 3 year work anniversary (well, a little while ago) and after those three years, I have about broken even as far as personal net worth.

Where did it all go? Interest, restaurants, booze, additional student and car debt, but at least I don't have a horse.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of credit scores when it doesn't actually matter...

My jetblue american express was forcefully switched over to a jetblue mastercard. My credit report now shows that the american express card is "closed", and thus dropped my score 50-60 points. I haven't activated the new card yet.

Is this normal? Credit card companies forcing card closure which then negatively affects your score, despite it just being transferred to a different company?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Blinky2099 posted:

Speaking of credit scores when it doesn't actually matter...

My jetblue american express was forcefully switched over to a jetblue mastercard. My credit report now shows that the american express card is "closed", and thus dropped my score 50-60 points. I haven't activated the new card yet.

Is this normal? Credit card companies forcing card closure which then negatively affects your score, despite it just being transferred to a different company?

Yeah, that happened to me a while back. Not sure if it's common, but it definitely happens.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I just did my annual online credit pull. Two of the bureaus worked fine, but for experian I got the amazingly unhelpful (paraphrased, i moved on but should have copypasted) error message, "A condition exists the prevents us from retrieving your report, <link to snail mail credit request form>."

Nothing untoward appearing on the other two reports so I don't think there's identity theft or anything going on, despite being in every breach under the sun during the last few years.

Is there anything I should do here? Mail off the paper form and wait a couple months for a response? Go straight to experian's website?

Grumpwagon posted:

I've had this exact error since February with Experian. Not sure what's going on.
Weird. Just got this with Experian while doing my annual pull (tax day is my reminder) as well.

I guess I won't worry about it.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's the limit on the BoA card that you use (the one with a balance that's usually around $800 at statement date)? Paying that card off more frequently or increasing the limit so as to lower your utilization ratio could provide an instant boost to your score.

edit: Actually what are the limits on both cards, since that'll tell us your overall utilization ratio each month?

the BoA card has a total credit line of 1,200. How much the balance is on the card fluctuates throughout the month as I use it and pay it off.
I have been fighting with the wells fargo gofarrewards website for the last hour trying to find my current limit on that card. I believe it's somewhere around 1000, but I simply cannot find that in writing. I also have not used this card more than a handful of times, most of the time only when I forgot my debit card somewhere and didn't have any other way to pay for something. sorry :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So yeah, if your balance is around $800 when it reports to the credit bureaus then that's a smidge high (not outrageous, but enough that it'll probably affect your score) for a combined limit of ~$2000.

Like others said, it's a memoryless metric so just zero it out more frequently right before you apply for a loan, otherwise consider requesting credit limit increases.