Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cargohills posted:

I am replying to his quote about why he thinks the line is good.

Yes, yes. It's a single line of dialogue that exerts multiple facets of the character not just through the meaning of the words, but also in the way they are delivered. That's why I think it's good! Why do you think it's bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Did I miss a derail about millenials, and can I take credit for it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zoran posted:

How about the matching iconography—her speeder that matches Luke's, or her pilot doll, or the Rebel helmet? Or echoing his lines, like declaring that the Falcon is garbage? Her preternatural flying skills, which even she doesn't quite believe? Getting a job offer from Han?

The matching iconography is intended to put you back into the world established by ANH. The parallels that can be drawn between Rey and Luke are there because they are both the protagonists of their story.

Zoran posted:

The Skywalker family lightsaber triggers visions—a mingling of Luke's past with her own. And at the climax of the film, the saber chooses her. She's pulling the sword from the stone because she's a more worthy heir than Kylo Ren.
I'm glad you brought up Arthurian legend, as the Sword in the Stone chooses the king based on worthiness, not bloodline.

Zoran posted:

Maz tells her that the people who left her on Jakku are never coming back, but there's someone who still could; Rey immediately thinks of Luke. When she's lying down at night, desperate to sleep, she thinks of an island just like the one Luke shows up on. It's not a dream of hers, it's a conscious thought that she clings to at night.

Maz is telling her to stop clinging to the past and move forward into a new world represented, in this case, by Luke. "Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back." How is that in any way vague?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 8, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Baronash posted:

I'm glad you brought up Arthurian legend, as the Sword in the Stone chooses the king based on worthiness, not bloodline.

Maz is telling her to stop clinging to the past and move forward into a new world represented, in this case, by Luke. "Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back." How is that in any way vague?

First I want to say that I would in no way be surprised if Rey is actually Luke's daughter, but yea these things signalled to me that Rey's actual family is immaterial to the fact that she will inherit Luke's destiny. One of the original rumors for the film was that Luke was going to have an adopted child. I think TFA is filmed in that light. Disney way not be able to resist and will just throw her in there as an actual heir, but I think it would be cooler if she becomes his daughter in spirit not in blood.

Re: thread title, a bit disappointed Gonsmithe didn't come in and say 'Behold the shitposts of this fully functional Millenial Trash Discussion Station!!"

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

kiimo posted:

There are tons of cool ideas discussed about the prequels. And I'm like drat I should go watch those again!

And then I did. Ugh.
Yeah you hosed up by not having the mute button on for all scenes that don't have palpatine in them. Lucas always said he sucked at dialogue and man, he wasn't fuckin around. To me it's the achilles heel of those movies and largely why people have a very vocal negative opinion about them. It's what TFA did right by comparison: the audience needs characters they like and want in some ways to be connected with and disney knocked that out of the park with Finn, Rey, and Poe.

I can get through the prequel trilogy's painful dialogue, but I'm a strange fellow who watches sompote sands movies for fun

If you can live through king ka kayasit without subtitles, then you can live through Jar Jar, Anakin, and Padme at their worst:

https://youtu.be/zXWiRAFrII0

G-III fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 8, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the prequel trilogy dialogue is going to be heavily sampled by 2030's Wu-Tang clan equivalent and then the movies will become cool again.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Baronash posted:

The matching iconography is intended to put you back into the world established by ANH. The parallels that can be drawn between Rey and Luke are there because they are both the protagonists of their story.

I don't see how you can watch TFA, notice that the main character's missing family is the salient feature of her backstory that defines her emotional conflict, and then believe that nothing will come of it and we'll never find out who those people are. So you have to look at the clues in the text and decide who they point to. There are not that many parent candidates to begin with, and all signs point to Luke.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zoran posted:

I don't see how you can watch TFA, notice that the main character's missing family is the salient feature of her backstory that defines her emotional conflict, and then believe that nothing will come of it and we'll never find out who those people are. So you have to look at the clues in the text and decide who they point to. There are not that many parent candidates to begin with, and all signs point to Luke.

I hope they riff from ESB and ROTJ so we can get something like this:

Ep 8:

Luke: Rey, Kylo Ren killed your father.

*later*

Kylo Ren: No, Luke is your father!

Ep 9:

Luke: Well, what I mean is that part of me died when Kylo Ren went rogue.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

G-III posted:

Yeah you hosed up by not having the mute button on for all scenes that don't have palpatine in them. Lucas always said he sucked at dialogue and man, he wasn't fuckin around. To me it's the achilles heel of those movies and largely why people have a very vocal negative opinion about them. It's what TFA did right by comparison: the audience needs characters they like and want in some ways to be connected with and disney knocked that out of the park with Finn, Rey, and Poe.

You're mixing up two different things here.

TFA may have fuckable characters, but that fuckability is not a result of the dialogue. TFA's dialogue frankly sucks. It's the second-biggest liability in the film after the editing; there's not a single good line in the film.

"That [ship]'s garbage. [But] the garbage will do." It's white noise that people tune out.

The prequels, on the contrary, have extremely well-written dialogue that's delivered by unfuckable characters.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Thematically it'd be far better to have Rey be a Palpatine. Otherwise there's not much tension in the reveal, and not much consequence (to her) - "yes, your new adopted family, who we already know is cool and good, is also your real family too."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kylo's gonna say he chilled your father, and then we'll flashback to a smug Kylo watching Luke chug a natty upside down

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Thematically it'd be far better to have Rey be a Palpatine. Otherwise there's not much tension in the reveal, and not much consequence (to her) - "yes, your new adopted family, who we already know is cool and good, is also your real family too."

If she's a Skywalker then she is in fact a Palpatine too because Sheev force-raped Shmi

I mean or at least it was implied

It's I am your fathers all the way down

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This would also fit with the general feeling of disconnection from the previous generation and from genetic family in general (Finn finds family in the Resistance, Rey finds a father in Han, and Kylo finds a master and father in Snoke).

It would also contribute to the theory that Kylo spared Rey and dropped her on Jakku; if you worship the dark side and your dark side grand-dad, it would be pretty hard to execute the daughter of the strongest dark side master ever and your grand-dad's master (on top of only recently abandoning the light side, so likely not gung-ho about child murder anyways).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

TFA may have fuckable characters, but that fuckability is not a result of the dialogue.
What do you mean by fuckable characters? That the various actors are just physically attractive and/or charismatic?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

euphronius posted:

No.

"Mary Sue"

I know it's just a trailer but if the filmmakers were trying to broadcast "we're proud that the focus of our new Star Wars franchise is a heroine every bit as invincible, flawless and uninteresting as Rey from TFA", well they succeeded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hmm, yes. I can see it now. "Rey, you're the granddaughter of a long-dead evil emperor through his secret son Triclops, who we've never met and don't care about." Meanwhile, she's tearing up as she meets Luke Skywalker for the first time because gently caress, I dunno, he smells really bad?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Raxivace posted:

What do you mean by fuckable characters? That the various actors are just physically attractive and/or charismatic?

Well yeah; that's what people mean by 'likable characters'. It has nothing to do with dialogue or whatever.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

TFA is fundamentally a synthesis of the previous two trilogies. The lessons of the prequels haunt the film: the Jedi were wrong, the Republic is bad, Vader is the true incarnation of God, etc. But nothing is produced through this synthesis.

I think TFA is trying to present Kylo Ren is what is produced from that. Or perhaps in this new trilogy we will see the forces of the prequels being represented by Kylo (I want a lightsaber and rule the Galaxy!) against Luke representing the OT (No, those Jedi were wrong. The force is about rejecting weapons and being literal monks not warrior monks).

As much as Disney seem to want to disown the prequels TFA is richer due to their existence.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

TFA may have fuckable characters, but that fuckability is not a result of the dialogue. TFA's dialogue frankly sucks. It's the second-biggest liability in the film after the editing; there's not a single good line in the film.

"That [ship]'s garbage. [But] the garbage will do." It's white noise that people tune out.

The prequels, on the contrary, have extremely well-written dialogue that's delivered by unfuckable characters.
Wait, what the gently caress?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Internaut! posted:

I know it's just a trailer but if the filmmakers were trying to broadcast "we're proud that the focus of our new Star Wars franchise is a heroine every bit as invincible, flawless and uninteresting as Rey from TFA", well they succeeded

i am glad you are broadcasting yourself as a total dipshit still
i swear this is like the 100th time you have made that post

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I never remember quotes but for some reason I do remember "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun" so that's the only good dialogue ever imo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Good thing Rey isn't invincible, flawless and uninteresting then...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

I never remember quotes but for some reason I do remember "Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun" so that's the only good dialogue ever imo
Yo, agreed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Uh I would gently caress Padme and Obi-wan...

And poo poo, I think I'd gently caress Shmi and Jimmy Smits, too.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Zoran posted:

Hmm, yes. I can see it now. "Rey, you're the granddaughter of a long-dead evil emperor through his secret son Triclops, who we've never met and don't care about." Meanwhile, she's tearing up as she meets Luke Skywalker for the first time because gently caress, I dunno, he smells really bad?

No, if I had to guess she's a clone of Palpatine, recently decanted. And it would work better if Snoke really is Plagueis.

The main ST theme, in my opinion, ought to be Bad people slowly turning Good. We had Neutral/Good people becoming Heroes in the OT, Neutral/Good people/institutions becoming Bad in the PT. So the obvious bridge/culmination/synthesis in the ST is Bad people turning Good. Finn fits that mold. Starkiller base truns back in to a sun and we linger on this imagery. The first "good guy" space ship we root for is a stolen TIE. I strongly suspect Kylo will have a redemption arc. Rey will roughly follow Luke's journey, but she looks ready to dip a lot closer to the dark side than Luke ever did - her being (a) Palpatine would reinforce this, make it actually dangerous. And it also makes the inevitable Rey/Kylo team up and victory against Snoke/Plagueis a lot more layered.

It would neatly weave everything together, and present a comprehensive moral, with three sets of case studies - what you already know you ought to do (OT), what you really do (PT), and how to bridge the gap (ST).

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 8, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Uh I would gently caress Padme and Obi-wan...

And poo poo, I think I'd gently caress Shmi and Jimmy Smits, too.

Both episode I and II Shmi.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

I was thinking about this myself and you said it better here. Is John Boyega a better actor than Ewan McGregor? The answer is no but JJ gives Boyega so many great moments for you to like Finn. The way he gets up saying he is resistance. The BB-8 interaction. He gets character moments that make me on his side in a way I never was with prequel Kenobi. (Though I put that down to Jedi being boring unlikeable jerks as a deliberate decision).

Is it dialogue or is it direction or just plain casting? The only people in the 3 PT movies I connect with are are Qui-Gonn and Sheev. In TFA it is Poe, Finn, Rey... Etc. Which makes TFA easier to revisit and a more enjoyable experience.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

do you think obi-wan took his alias of Ben after 'ben quadinaros' and just how fuckable do we think each of the podracers are

im a gasgano guy, he looks like he could go skiiing on 5 guys

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Jerkface posted:

do you think obi-wan took his alias of Ben after 'ben quadinaros' and just how fuckable do we think each of the podracers are

im a gasgano guy, he looks like he could go skiiing on 5 guys

for my money, Clegg Holdfast is my fave pod racer guy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Bools Roor 4 eva

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

george lucas wants you to gently caress his backgrounds, JJ abrams wants you to gently caress his characters. Mayhaps Rian will give us a tour de fuckfest of fuckable backgrounds and characters. For my money the prequel was a bunch of unfuckable characters delivering unfuckablely awkward dialogue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you're not in love with Ody Mandrell then I don't even know what to loving tell you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would you gently caress in the OT? The space worm?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

why not, seems compatible with both sexes

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Whelp, call it what you want but regardless of what the actual quality is that the prequels were missing, they were clearly missing it in a way that caused audience members in a large mass to verbally express their dislike of these movies for over 15 years. But you're right in that the issue I was expressing wasn't about the dialogue itself as written but dialogue as it was delivered by the actors.

As for no good line in TFA? Finn: "Yes I'm from the resistance and this is what we look like" was good enough for me. That sort of line made me laugh and I was enjoying myself watching that go down.

Anakin's complaints against sand in AOTC, eh... not so much. Palpatine saying anything in any of the movies, hell yeah I'm on board. You want to talk fuckable? That old lizard was the sexiest animal in those movies.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I said come in! posted:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wank posted:

I was thinking about this myself and you said it better here. Is John Boyega a better actor than Ewan McGregor? The answer is no but JJ gives Boyega so many great moments for you to like Finn. The way he gets up saying he is resistance. The BB-8 interaction. He gets character moments that make me on his side in a way I never was with prequel Kenobi. (Though I put that down to Jedi being boring unlikeable jerks as a deliberate decision).

Is it dialogue or is it direction or just plain casting? The only people in the 3 PT movies I connect with are are Qui-Gonn and Sheev. In TFA it is Poe, Finn, Rey... Etc. Which makes TFA easier to revisit and a more enjoyable experience.

It's because the TFA characters are constantly yelping excitedly and hugging eachother. The things they actually say and do are irrelevant in the face of this combo of enthusiasm and presexual intimacy.

It's like how Sonic The Hedgehog has really large eyes and loves to eat chili dogs. That's the draw, for his fanbase.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Positive feelings are really good. Being excited and hugging is good.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The prequels and particularly the A/P romance are popular with a large number of young women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

jivjov posted:

Bools Roor 4 eva

googled him and sickest pod tbf

• Locked thread