Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Cool, do you want to take the part of the Japanese? Might make it easier. You'd have to do Operation Z/IAI though, since I do want to showcase it.

Yeah, I'm a bit more familiar with the Japanese, so that should be fine. Haven't done Turn 1 yet, but I guess it shouldn't be too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
As someone who owns but has never played EotS other than a few aborted attempts at learning it in Vassal, I'd love to see an annotated game.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Just ordered For the People, Washington's War, and Empire of the Sun. Also pre-ordered Falling Sky. Jebus help me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Caedar posted:

Just ordered For the People, Washington's War, and Empire of the Sun. Also pre-ordered Falling Sky. Jebus help me.

Welcome, friend. This is equal parts a hobby group and a support group.

Edit- whoops thought you were a new wargamer. My statement stands though!

Edit2- I have US Civil War coming in the mail tomorrow. I've tried learning via vassal but maybe the cardboard will help me learn it better :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2016

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just got NW: India Pakistan, Normandy '44, and Operation Dauntless, as well as C3i 27 and 29. I finally got around to rooting around in Operation Dauntless today and :prepop: I gotta gush about this a bit, bear with me.

This is the work of a dedicated, passionate, talented, complete lunatic. As Tekopo pointed out earlier there are a retarded amount of numbers packed onto the counters. The crazy thing is that there is 160 drat pages of stuff in this box and only like 30 are actually rules. The playbook has almost 20 pages of play examples, all with huge, color, annotated pictures and a couple pages of general tips and strategies. The scenario book is insane with more extensive historical and strategy notes for the scenarios than I've ever seen before. It includes a poo poo ton of tutorial scenarios each with their own advice and variants. 4 of the tutorials are on their own cards with a 'read sections blah blah and dive in' kind of thing going. They even include a list of rules you'll probably forget about or overlook. And they even recognized that you might want to skip going whole hog on the infantry rules and skip to the armor so the second card has two armor tutorial scenarios that skip several of the infantry tutorials.

And the icing on this ludicrous cake is the reference book which is 50 goddamn pages of footnotes, design notes, history lessons, and write ups of the vehicles and weapons used in the campaign. The 'selected sources' covers the entire back of the book. :psyduck:

I should note that the vast majority of the photographs in these books were taken from the operation itself or at least of the units involved. The scenario book at least has a caption section that describes every picture noting, for instance, that the names painted on this tank are the names of the driver and commander's girlfriends.

On top of all that the player aids and counters are better than average, even for GMT. And the system and game looks really fun too :toot:

I feel like after reading all this and playing the whole campaign is basically the equivalent to doing a serious research dive into the operation. Looking forward to this maniac's future output.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Like many posts in this thread, I'm entirely unclear whether I'm incredibly excited or repulsed.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Solitary and simultaneously disgusted and aroused - the natural state of the wargamer.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

COOL CORN posted:

Welcome, friend. This is equal parts a hobby group and a support group.

Edit- whoops thought you were a new wargamer. My statement stands though!

Edit2- I have US Civil War coming in the mail tomorrow. I've tried learning via vassal but maybe the cardboard will help me learn it better :)

If you remember, I expressed some dislike for chits with lots of numbers on them a month or two ago. Now, after staring at these chits many, many times, that disgust has turned into lust. Who am I?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Well, I got Haakka Paalle, for Advanced Squad Leader. A module involving Finns. For a game I have not played in five years. But it's the last module. And I have all the other ones. How could I not get this one? Particularly since I was already buying Star Wars Rebellion, and this got me free shipping.

Oh yes, I also have an Oregon Laminations 2.5" Deluxe Counter Cutter on its way to me. So that I can cut counters. For games I never play.

Some times I sincerely question whether I'm retarded.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Rebellion looks a little iffy

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Oh yes, I also have an Oregon Laminations 2.5" Deluxe Counter Cutter on its way to me. So that I can cut counters. For games I never play.

That's one sweet counter clipper. You will buy games just so you have an excuse to use it.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
drat you GMT where my ADPPPPPPPPPPPPP

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Caedar posted:

If you remember, I expressed some dislike for chits with lots of numbers on them a month or two ago. Now, after staring at these chits many, many times, that disgust has turned into lust. Who am I?

2/4/6 (01)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goddamit I was just thinking that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Goddamit I was just thinking that

I have no idea how the numbers on the chits are laid out, so I gave a reasonable guess. I'm still chuckling over it, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

idgi

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You should see or read Les Miserables.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Downloaded the Operation Dauntless VASSAL mod to see how bad the counters were. I figured they can't be THAT confusing.

HMM... I rescind my statement

edit -- so the 2/Pz12 has an AT value of 18 with an AT range of 7 and a Fire Control of +4 and an armor of 10 and a Combat Strength of 5 and Ranged Attack Strength of 5 and a Ranged Attack Range of 7 and a Tracked Movement Allowance of 14.

No problem! :shepface:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 8, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hmmm so it should have been

2/4^6/01, then?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

silvergoose posted:

You should see or read Les Miserables.

Not going to put myself through that just to get a joke.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Oldstench posted:

Not going to put myself through that just to get a joke.

"Prisoner Two Four Six Oh One / your time is up and your parole's begun..."

It's, like, the first or second song in the musical.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

edit -- so the 2/Pz12 has an AT value of 18 with an AT range of 7 and a Fire Control of +4 and an armor of 10 and a Combat Strength of 5 and Ranged Attack Strength of 5 and a Ranged Attack Range of 7 and a Tracked Movement Allowance of 14.

And its combat strength is halved in both Combats and Assaults when attacking into close terrain since the number is in a red box.
:goonsay:

My regular wargaming group broke up and I'm dealing with it by buying Operation Dauntless, Falling Sky and ADP. Now the plan is to lure unsuspecting people with Falling Sky's pretty map and make them play the other COINs once they're hooked. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with Operation Dauntless though.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

kalthir posted:

And its combat strength is halved in both Combats and Assaults when attacking into close terrain since the number is in a red box.
:goonsay:

My regular wargaming group broke up and I'm dealing with it by buying Operation Dauntless, Falling Sky and ADP. Now the plan is to lure unsuspecting people with Falling Sky's pretty map and make them play the other COINs once they're hooked. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with Operation Dauntless though.

Sit in a dark corner, stroking it like a cat? I know that's what I'm gonna do!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah Rebellion looks a little iffy

If you think I am not going to give my 14 year old son the chance to evaporate my planets with a giant Death Star miniature, you are wrong. It is a father's duty.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

COOL CORN posted:

Downloaded the Operation Dauntless VASSAL mod to see how bad the counters were. I figured they can't be THAT confusing.

HMM... I rescind my statement

No problem! :shepface:

Grognimium

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They don't seem all that confusing to me, but I played Red Winter.

Obviously the game probably lacks all that beautiful simplicity of the original, but just maybe it has not been hosed up?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

They don't seem all that confusing to me, but I played Red Winter.

Obviously the game probably lacks all that beautiful simplicity of the original, but just maybe it has not been hosed up?

Tevery Best posted:

beautiful simplicity

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's a lot of letters just to say "no".

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Considering the requirement for solo play some board gamers have (me included for war games!) are there any good Android apps or, at a pinch, PC versions anyone can recommend. Not sure if I fancy rolling the dice on the tastes of the Android games thread.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Davin Valkri posted:

"Prisoner Two Four Six Oh One / your time is up and your parole's begun..."

It's, like, the first or second song in the musical.

They're also both extremely good, especially the novel as hugo goes off on huge tangents explaining relevant aspects of the period in minute detail. Perfect for this thread really

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

andrew smash posted:

They're also both extremely good, especially the novel as hugo goes off on huge tangents explaining relevant aspects of the period in minute detail. Perfect for this thread really

That fuckin bishop chapter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fat Turkey posted:

Considering the requirement for solo play some board gamers have (me included for war games!) are there any good Android apps or, at a pinch, PC versions anyone can recommend. Not sure if I fancy rolling the dice on the tastes of the Android games thread.

While not a PC version of a board game, Panzer Corps certainly has a board game feel to it. Perfect for solo play, difficulty can be customized and the DLC adds loads of content. I believe there's an iOS version but I don't know if its updated. Order of Battle: Pacific is similar, but with a few different mechanics and a more unforgiving difficulty curve. Both games are turn-based WW2 games with individual units that could easily be replaced with counters (although I dont think anyone has modded it to such a degree)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

While not a PC version of a board game, Panzer Corps certainly has a board game feel to it. Perfect for solo play, difficulty can be customized and the DLC adds loads of content. I believe there's an iOS version but I don't know if its updated. Order of Battle: Pacific is similar, but with a few different mechanics and a more unforgiving difficulty curve. Both games are turn-based WW2 games with individual units that could easily be replaced with counters (although I dont think anyone has modded it to such a degree)

Is it the same one were embarked land units can duel with battleships on the high seas?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Is it the same one were embarked land units can duel with battleships on the high seas?

Nope, embarked units are in transports that are lucky if they have guns at all. OoB:P does have armed landing vehicles if you take a special perk for your army, but they aren't capable (or a match) against actual combat ships. Otherwise, there are amphibious tanks, but dont expect them to sink the Yamato.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope, embarked units are in transports that are lucky if they have guns at all. OoB:P does have armed landing vehicles if you take a special perk for your army, but they aren't capable (or a match) against actual combat ships. Otherwise, there are amphibious tanks, but dont expect them to sink the Yamato.

I was asking about the Panzer something. One of the recent Panzer Generalish games made it possible for embarked units to attack. So, you know, artillery duels between embarked guns and british shipping.

gently caress that game.

Then again, and with all due respect to your LP, the only time PG ever came close to clicking, for me, was with Armageddon, and I'm sure that's because it abstracts less. One tank is one tank.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I played a full 10-conference game of Churchill against the bots this weekend. I still think it's a great game, but the bots need work. I played as Roosevelt and won under Condition 2 fairly easily. Since the bots make no effort whatsoever to keep the score close, I just had to make sure both Axis powers surrendered and that I kept ahead of Stalin. I let Churchill win 8 conferences. It was still a challenge to make sure all surrender conditions were met, but not too tough. Maybe someday I'll get to play against real humans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I was asking about the Panzer something. One of the recent Panzer Generalish games made it possible for embarked units to attack. So, you know, artillery duels between embarked guns and british shipping.

gently caress that game.

Then again, and with all due respect to your LP, the only time PG ever came close to clicking, for me, was with Armageddon, and I'm sure that's because it abstracts less. One tank is one tank.

Hmmm... not sure which game it is, to be honest. I know its not possible in Panzer Corps.

WRT abstracting, yeah PC gets pretty odd with it since it only states the strength of the unit but maps can vary wildly in size.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

GMT just charged my credit card for Falling Sky. We're getting close!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm... not sure which game it is, to be honest. I know its not possible in Panzer Corps.

WRT abstracting, yeah PC gets pretty odd with it since it only states the strength of the unit but maps can vary wildly in size.

Panzer Tactics HD, unless I've gone crazy. I might be mistaking for some F2P phone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm finally starting to dig into The US Civil War, and I'm seeing the brilliance of the design but.... good lord, I have no idea where to begin strategy-wise, and whenever I try to dig into the rules, my eyes just glaze over.

Phew, this one's a doozy, but I'm determined!