Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How would you only take enough for Australia's medical needs if every welfare recipient is donating every time they collect? This would waste so much medical equipment and expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't remember anyone complaining about 'ethics' when people suggested vaccinating your kids should be mandatory.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If PissCat said "make them poors get sterilised it can be reversed if they get a job" would you also interpret it as a genuine attempt at rational debate

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

I don't remember anyone complaining about 'ethics' when people suggested vaccinating your kids should be mandatory.

You are right, vaccinating children is the same as forcing people to donate blood in order to access social welfare.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh antivax now well that's the calibre I expect really

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Jesus Christ

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

No you see it's voluntary to vaccinate your kids, but in order to get welfare you have to vaccinate your kids.

See how this is a problem?

[EDIT: For anyone who thinks I'm anti-vaccination, lol. I'm interested in hearing what the conceptual difference here is though. Ignoring the welfare issues, is vaccinating your kids so much more important than donating blood that you should be able to punish people for refusing to do one but not the other? What about organ donation? People die all the time because of the neuroses of potential donors and their families.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well, I'm not doctor, but we vaccinate kids because the diseases they can catch can be absolutely harmful to their developmental trajectory, and this is also why mothers should be vaccinated for rubella. I guess on the other hand, both blood and organ donation is just that: donating a part or component of yourself. It's more difficult to argue when you remove the "blood donation is tied to welfare" thing, but people have the right to not donate blood/organs if they don't want to.

People should be able to refuse medical treatment, it just really sucks when people refuse to vaccinate their kids because because it can not only potentially harm their own children, but people who can't take a full course of a vaccine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kat Delacour posted:

If PissCat said "make them poors get sterilised it can be reversed if they get a job" would you also interpret it as a genuine attempt at rational debate

I'm not taking part in this one, but this one was so out of left field that my response to it is 'I have no idea what to say', rather than 'anything I could say would obviously be ignored'. It's like... gently caress, where do you start, and I'd almost condone engaging the troll in that case just to unpack whatever the gently caress that would mean because it's never come up before.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah look honestly it's a pretty amazing idea, interesting insight into a potentially Mad Max style future where we all have out own personal poors strapped to our cars/houses.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Being made to live with malfunctioning lungs or kidneys or going longer than you should between blood transfusions or whatever is probably pretty harmful to a child's development too. Obviously donating blood or organs is more invasive than most vaccinations (although if the subject is dead then this doesn't really matter), but that seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah there is no difference between a vaccination and donating blood or an organ.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

EvilElmo posted:

Citation required.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...67a957d4bab051b

loving hell it's not difficult

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

asio posted:

Ok so lets make this simple:
Qld needs tourism to live
This mine will kill the reef which is most of where our tourism money comes from.
More jobs lost than gained as a result.

Qld Greens don't take corporate donations. The alp, however, does, e.g. that $40k from Macquarie bank, who negotiated the deal between mine and government. (And also ran one of their former employees for lord mayor)

This is why the alp approved the mine, despite the fact it is anti-worker. Are you still not understanding how corruption works?

Outside seq is awu territory, so uv can't go against awu's interests. Again, $ working as the real power.

I don't see anything banning corporate donations in the Greens rules. Care to point out where that is stipulated?

And as I said, since this is such an unpopular mine that will ruin the economy of QLD, it doesn't matter, that with the fact that Greens policies are all so very popular in the electorate means the Greens will form Government in QLD after the next election.

An article in the Oz.. nice.

Also, that is majority at conference, not majority of Parliamentary members. Conference votes on party platform, rules etc. not the approval of mining licences.

You might also find in that article it says the main changes being sought by the left in QLD are around internal voting reform.

And uhh, there is no

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

... this heralding a massive change in the national balance of power and that the left would get control this year, you'll see, it won't be like the last thirty times we've said that....

So yes,

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

all of that must have just been my imagination, then.

edit: I'm not sure why I am continuing to talk about state politics, especially QLD state politics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 7, 2016

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Blood donation could quite happily be made a voluntary thing for centrelink recipients who get an additional financial payment for donating if it's publicised as necessary. That avoids the issue of unnecessary donation, especially for particular blood types that may be in excess. Similar to the vaccination program, it's still voluntary to be vaccinated, just don't expect the government to do you any favours financially if you opt out.

Organ donation is easy. Just institute a 100% death duty on the deceased estate unless they are an organ donor. :smug:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LibertyCat posted:

The prison "industry" in the USA is very sick, so I'd vote no. On top of that it creates incentives to put more people in prison.

The Blood Donation idea would result in a huge surplus of Blood, so that wouldn't be a problem.

If a decent percentage of welfare recipients started lying on their medical history to get out of it I'd just take the blood anyway then discard the unusable stuff.

Somewhat closer to home then: how do you feel about the statement made last year by refugees in off-shore detention who were so sure they would die before they ever leaved the detention centers that their organs be used for transplant in Australia, saying that then at least some part of them would know freedom?

How do you think you would feel knowing that you received an organ from someone who died (or committed suicide) in one of our detention centers?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

Just institute a 100% death duty on the deceased estate

Do this anyway :getin:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

Being made to live with malfunctioning lungs or kidneys or going longer than you should between blood transfusions or whatever is probably pretty harmful to a child's development too. Obviously donating blood or organs is more invasive than most vaccinations (although if the subject is dead then this doesn't really matter), but that seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction.

Donating blood (or an organ) offers no medical benefits to the donor. Getting a vaccination (generally) benefits the recipient. That's a huge difference, even before you ignore things like herd immunity.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

I was listening to a "please give blood" plea on the radio this morning, and a thought occurred to me - why not (as long as it is medically ok) make Centrelink conditional on being a blood donor?

You could set up donation centers inside Centrelink offices and make it part of the regular appointment. If you're unemployed you're not exactly short of time like most workers. The Red Cross would save money on advertisements and mobile vans. It could save a heap of lives with no real downside.
I visited the UK during the BSE scare (And I lived in europe then). I was a child. I am now unable to donate blood (or plasma) anywhere in the world outside of the UK. It is nice to know that I will be unable to claim welfare.

Furthermore, unemployed people are more depressed as a result of their unemployment and the onerous restrictions already placed on them. Firstly, literally sucking out their blood make them more depressed because, poo poo, the only way to get worse than that would be mandatory live organ donation or making them mandatory participants in human experiments. Secondly, they are less healthy to begin with. There is a reason that blood donors are required to be healthy, and it isn't all for the health of those who receive blood. Losing the amount of blood you'd give in a donation is something a healthy person can handle, but it'll gently caress up others.

There are also a bunch of religious objections to it. Jehova's Witnesses for instance.

Blood also has a shelf life of up to 42 days, so you'd be collecting vastly more blood than would be needed, and almost all of it would have to be destroyed.

Finally, you run the very real risk of creation an underground industry in disease infection where people who are unemployed see dealing with some illness to be preferable to being forced to give blood. Also, since current laws preclude males who have had sex with other males, and pregnant women, there will probably be a rise in both. A woman could game the system by getting pregnant repeatedly and aborting over and over again at 18 weeks, for instance. Men have it easier: They can just lie about porking Joel down at the pub.

open24hours posted:

There is a very important difference:

Vaccination: Making people resistant to horrible and potentially lethal diseases, and getting the immunity rates up high enough to protect those who, for whatever reason, cannot be vaccinated (Children, immunocompromised people).

Mandatory Blood Donation: A procedure that is supposed to be done only on the healthy would overload screening mechanisms, increasing the risk of disease transmission. The risk of complications, while low, would result in numerous compensation claims against the government since a public good argument cannot be made for mandatory donation (As I said above, blood only stores for a bit over a month, almost all of what's collected under such a regime would be tossed out).

mrdull
Aug 9, 2014
hello my forum name has liberty in it and I am here to spruik forced medical procedures

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Libertarians always end up being authoritarians, they can't hide their massive hard on for indiscriminate, arbitrary and disproportionate punishments for long.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pickled Tink posted:

Men have it easier: They can just lie about porking Joel down at the pub.

Actually women could say they've had unprotected sex with a man who has had unprotected sex with another man to get out of it. I've definitely seen that as one of the questions.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
PissCat pissed the bed again, moving on...

Have the Panama Papers turned up anything juicy here? I've been working flat out this week and haven't had a chance to read up on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Negligent posted:

Libertarians always end up being authoritarians, they can't hide their massive hard on for indiscriminate, arbitrary and disproportionate punishments for long.

Yeah, I can't tell if LibertyCat is a terrible libertarian or a great one.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Have the Panama Papers turned up anything juicy here? I've been working flat out this week and haven't had a chance to read up on it.

I know Wilson security are tied up in it somehow, the same Wilson security who beat refugee children the other day.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I can't tell if LibertyCat is a terrible libertarian or a great one.

What's the difference?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hillary is in them with cash tied to a Russian bank lmao.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lizard Combatant posted:

A couple of the big 4 banks got a mention, no idea how deep their involvement was though.

In some coal is good for humanity news:

quote:

Wind and solar have grown seemingly unstoppable.

While two years of crashing prices for oil, natural gas, and coal triggered dramatic downsizing in those industries, renewables have been thriving. Clean energy investment broke new records in 2015 and is now seeing twice as much global funding as fossil fuels.

One reason is that renewable energy is becoming ever cheaper to produce. Recent solar and wind auctions in Mexico and Morocco ended with winning bids from companies that promised to produce electricity at the cheapest rate, from any source, anywhere in the world, said Michael Liebreich, chairman of the advisory board for Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).

"We're in a low-cost-of-oil environment for the foreseeable future," Liebreich said during his keynote address at the BNEF Summit in New York on Tuesday. "Did that stop renewable energy investment? Not at all."

Here's what's shaping power markets, in six charts from BNEF:

Renewables are beating fossil fuels 2 to 1

Investment in Power Capacity, 2008-2015 Source: BNEF, UNEP

Government subsidies have helped wind and solar get a foothold in global power markets, but economies of scale are the true driver of falling prices: The cost of solar power has fallen to 1/150th of its level in the 1970s, while the total amount of installed solar has soared 115,000-fold.

As solar prices fall, installations boom

Source: BNEF

The reason solar-power generation will increasingly dominate: It's a technology, not a fuel. As such, efficiency increases and prices fall as time goes on. What's more, the price of batteries to store solar power when the sun isn't shining is falling in a similarly stunning arc.

Just since 2000, the amount of global electricity produced by solar power has doubled seven times over. Even wind power, which was already established, doubled four times over the same period. For the first time, the two forms of renewable energy are beginning to compete head-to-head on price and annual investment.

An industry that keeps doubling in size

Renewables' share of power generation. Scale is shown in doublings. Source: BNEF

Meanwhile, fossil fuels have been getting killed by falling prices and, more recently, declining investment. It started with coal-it used to be that lower prices increased demand for fossil fuels, but coal prices apparently can't fall fast enough. Richer OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) countries have been reducing demand for almost a decade. In China, coal power has also flattened. Only developing countries with rapidly expanding energy demands are still adding coal, though at a slowing rate.

Coal phases out in wealthier countries first

What does that look like on a country-level basis? The world's first coal superpower, Britain, now produces less power from coal than it has since at least 1850.

Canary in the coal mine: Britain

Source: BNEF

More recently it's the oil and gas industry that's been under attack. Prices have tumbled and investments have started drying up. The number of oil rigs active in the US fell last month to the lowest since records began in the 1940s. Producers-from tiny frontier drillers to massive petrol-producing nation-states-are creeping ever closer to insolvency.

"What we're talking about is miscalculation of risk," said BNEF's Liebreich. "We're talking about a business model that is predicated on never-ending growth, a business model that is predicated on being able to find unlimited supplies of capital."

The chart below shows independent oil producers and their ability to pay their debt. The pink quadrant at the bottom right represents the greatest threat to a company's solvency. By 2015, that quadrant starts to fill up, and Liebreich warned, "It's going to get uglier."

US oil patch heads to the insolvency zone

The y-axis shows the the ability to pay debt interest from earnings, and the x-axis shows how much a company is leveraged (debt to capital). The size of the circle represents the amount of debt held by each company. Source: BNEF

Oil and gas woes are driven less by renewables than by a mismatch of too much supply and too little demand. But with renewable energy expanding at record rates and with more efficient cars-including all-electric vehicles-siphoning off oil profits at the margins, the fossil-fuel insolvency zone is only going to get more crowded, according to BNEF. Natural gas will still be needed for when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing, but even that will change as utility-scale batteries grow cheaper.

The best minds in energy keep underestimating what solar and wind can do. Since 2000, the International Energy Agency has raised its long-term solar forecast 14 times and its wind forecast five times. Every time global wind power doubles, there's a 19 percent drop in cost, according to BNEF, and every time solar power doubles, costs fall 24 percent.

And while BNEF says the shift to renewable energy isn't happening fast enough to avoid the catastrophic legacy of fossil-fuel dependence-climate change-it's definitely happening.

For me the really significant part of all this is that the switch to renewables is taking place at a time when fossil fuels have never been cheaper. Once a few of these coal and oil producers go insolvent and the reduced supply puts the prices up there will be an even bigger incentive to invest in clean energy.

Aren't we lucky we have the financial acumen of the conservative side of politics in power making wise and considered decisions about the future of Australian energy generation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Trump's gonna win

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

I am against enforcing equal outcomes. It demeans women who got there on their own merits, because some people think "oh we only gave that position to Shelly because she's a woman, she can't be that good". Putting people places where they otherwise wouldn't qualify (due to their lack of merit) only reinforces negative stereotypes.

You are pro affirmative action but just don't realise it because your stupidity let you take right wingers seriously.

LibertyCat posted:

If a woman surgeon would be the best person for the job we should stop any bona-fide discrimination that would keep her away. Ditto being carried out of a burning house, on aircraft with some kind of catastrophic failure, behind a desk keeping your employer from going bankrupt.

Those ideas are literally the basis of affirmative action - giving a woman or person of color the job if both they and the white male candidate have the same qualifications. The fact that you've seen women or PoC in these positions and subconsciously view them as inferior (because surely they can't have been as qualified as the white male candidate) is why you have a problem with it.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 8, 2016

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Anidav posted:

What? I thought the Americans just hid their cash in Delaware where it's all nice and legal and doesn't even have to leave the country to be tucked away all sneaky like

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
nah Wikileaks is saying that Hillary's campaign staff have a bunch of cash stashed away in a Russian bank for no particular reason.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Les Affaires posted:

Blood donation could quite happily be made a voluntary thing for centrelink recipients who get an additional financial payment for donating if it's publicised as necessary. That avoids the issue of unnecessary donation, especially for particular blood types that may be in excess. Similar to the vaccination program, it's still voluntary to be vaccinated, just don't expect the government to do you any favours financially if you opt out.

Paid blood donation is illegal in Australia, but maybe we should reconsider.

http://economicstudents.com/2014/08/blood-money-should-blood-donors-be-paid/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

lmao trump's going to walk into the white house with no opposition

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The 60 minutes crew arrested in Lebanon were apparently trying to kidnap children?! What the christ.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Aren't we lucky we have the financial acumen of the conservative side of politics in power making wise and considered decisions about the future of Australian energy generation.

The stupidity of it is breathtaking, as will be the unnecessary cost of importing technology we could have been exporting instead. Extra poo poo-eating costs for the deliberate attempt to destroy the industry passed onto you, the consumer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidLeyonhjelm/status/718239574582038528

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
https://twitter.com/maxuthink/status/718247320828145664

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

All those old retirees being sucked dry, trying to collect their pension. Actually yes I like the idea of sucking the life force from boomers.
You couldn't actually use their blood you know. Might as well just grind us all up for fertilizer.

Need I mention that blood donation is a complex topic with many deep shades of ambiguity completely unsuited to 'agile' redesign?

For instance the reason paid blood donation is illegal?/unlawful? is it gives an incentive for people who are high risk donors to misinform at the point of collection.

In further nuanced news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/more-teens-in-legal-trouble-for-sexting-every-week-lawyer-says/7309540

quote:

More 'sexting' teens in legal trouble every week, NSW children's lawyer says By state political reporter Lucy McNally Posted about 3 hours ago

Legal Aid lawyers in New South Wales are dealing with teenagers in trouble over "sexting" on a weekly basis, the state's head of Legal Aid for children says. Sexting — the practice of sending explicit content, including photos, using mobile phones — is one of the topics being examined by a NSW parliamentary committee, which is investigating the sexualisation of young people. The state's peak body for youth services and organisations, Youth Action, yesterday called for a change to laws that treat consensual sexting as the distribution child pornography. Children's Legal Service solicitor in charge Debra Maher said she agreed, because teenagers were regularly being charged. "There wouldn't be a week that goes past where we don't either represent a child in court charged with a sexting offence or take a hotline call on the Legal Aid hotline for a child who's at a police station being investigated for a sexting type offence, so they're very regular," she said. "They're potentially going to be on a sex offender register for the rest of their life."

The inquiry's public hearings continue today.

In my opinion the biggest area of child sexualisation is commercial television and the print industry. I'm going to be reading the final report very carefully to see if that even rates a mention.

Ethics! We don't need no steeeenken' ethics!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/friday-panel:-bad-business-behaviour/7309938

quote:

Friday panel: corporate ethics and bad business behaviour Friday 8 April 2016 8:13AM (view full episode)

The reputation of the Australian banking sector has been battered in recent times by a series of scandals exposing wide-spread corruption, from financial advice scams to allegations of interest rate rigging. The leak of a cache of documents this week known as the Panama Papers has also raised questions about the role of global banks in assisting the rich and powerful to hide their wealth in offshore tax havens. So is more regulation needed to boost community trust—not just in the banks, but in the corporate sector more generally? To discuss business and trust, Fran Kelly is joined by Simon Longstaff, Louise Petschler and Adele Ferguson for this week's Friday panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/falling-population-hits-northern-territory-gst-take/7310034
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/victoria-deserves-more-in-federal-gst-carve-up-treasurer-says/7309764
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/nsw-set-for-huge-drop-gst-due-strong-budget-treasurer-says/7309778
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/tasmania-set-to-lose-57-million-in-latest-gst-carve-up/7309536
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/wa-treasurer-slams-gst-carve-up/7309644

So most states recieve less GST revenue than last year, and are unhappy about it. Victoria is unhappy about not getting a big enough increase. WA has been complaining long and hard for years now, and that doesnt look like its going to stop any time soon. Tassie and the NT are getting less money because they arent growing as fast because they have less money because the arent growing as fast.

I think this is turing into a clusterfuck.

• Locked thread