Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

LLJKSiLk posted:

Questions: Did I miss where Merlyn grew a new hand or something? Or got a bunch of LoA people to just show up despite the league being abandoned and the daughter of Ras in the wind?

Merlyn having a handful of flunkies hanging around make sense, because if they were loyal to him they would stick around. Not like they have a League of Assassins to go back to!

The hand thing doesn't make sense, it honestly seems like they wrote a fight scene with Thea and choreographed it out while forgetting that merlyn is supposed to have only one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Ooooorrrrrrrrr, "Oh, hey Barry, I hate to bother you, but how long do you think it would take you to take this sack of 10 rocks, run around the country/world, and deposit said pieces in different places? Lets say a rock quarry, 3 different oceans, 1 lake, an active volcano if you can swing it, then you can pick the last 4. Oh, say, do you think you could take a piece with you when you time travel and leave it there? Thanks, man! I owe you a pizza and some beers!"

"I'm sorry, I'm just not fast enough."

"What if you ran faster?"

"Okay!"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

McSpanky posted:

The fight scenes were terrible this time! Muddled quick cuts all over the place, bad camera positioning showing a bunch of stage punches missing and Flashback Ollie lovetapped a guy and he goes flailing across the prison grounds like a cartoon pratfall.

I mean maybe you're right. But they were nowhere near as bad as Thea calmly slapping a guy who is then inexplicably launched forcibly into a wall or The Arrow fighting bee-man.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Season 4 starts and it seems better than 3 and we're like "cool" -> Season gets bogged down and mired in overwrought Ollicity drama -> All of a sudden what we thought would be the worst episode ends up being a slight improvement -> The writers kill Laurel in what they label as a "shocking death" but it doesn't hit at all since there was nothing organic about it. No real setup except for a grave they made up for just someone, and then the telegraphing this episode, which isn't really organic either.

Sigh. So much for this maybe ending strong.

And having read all these posts, I still don't see how faking the death makes any sense regardless of what poo poo Guggenheim says.

She either faked her death and the reason will also be inorganic, totally contrived, and pulled completely out of someone's rear end, or what? She faked her death so she could keep being Black Canary? Makes no sense because she could keep being BC without having to fake her death and put her fairly vulnerable father through the pain of losing a daughter again? What?

Either way being complicit in faking her death makes her a monster unless they somehow make it about protecting her father, but that still makes no sense unless they, again, make up some totally inorganic and contrived reason that had no seeds planted.

This show is frustrating as gently caress.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

10 Beers posted:

Ooooorrrrrrrrr, "Oh, hey Barry, I hate to bother you, but how long do you think it would take you to take this sack of 10 rocks, run around the country/world, and deposit said pieces in different places? Lets say a rock quarry, 3 different oceans, 1 lake, an active volcano if you can swing it, then you can pick the last 4. Oh, say, do you think you could take a piece with you when you time travel and leave it there? Thanks, man! I owe you a pizza and some beers!"

Most of Arrow's plots could be solved asking Barry for help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sure, if they want everyone murdered.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So this is so that Sarah can replace Laurel as Black Canary and we can finally get the Green Arrow / Black Canary stuff we've wanted since Season 2 right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Re that article with Guggenheim linked earlier:

Guggenheim posted:

The concept of death on this show is evolving and changing as we’ve already seen with Sara Lance, and with seeing Laurel in a parallel universe. There’s a world where we do an episode where Oliver Queen meets the Laurel Lance of Earth-2. That’s now on the table. Time travel is now on the table. As the show has evolved, so has death.
So that's how they're getting around this; alt universe Laurel?

quote:

Then what did Laurel tell Oliver?
“You’ll know in season 5,” Mericle chimes in.
So they have no loving idea, just like they had no clue who was in the grave at the beginning of the season.

quote:

Will Sara Lance find out that Laurel is dead?

“Sara will find out in Legends [of Tomorrow] about what happened with Laurel,” Guggenheim says. “We give it its due. I feel like we give it its due. We’ve always said on Legends we were not going to shy away from this development as far as Sara’s character is concerned. Paul was very gracious to lend his time to Legends to really allow us to explore that.”
Is anyone in denial over Laurel’s death?

“Oh, episode 19,” Guggenheim says.
Is the title of Black Canary up for grabs and we could see someone new in that role in the future?

“I don’t know that I would say up for grabs,” Guggenheim says. “I think it’s a mantle that multiple people have had. We’ll play with that notion in episode 19. I personally like the idea that DC Comics, all the comics, they all have the concept of legacy. We’ve seen on Legends that someone picks up Oliver Queen’s mantle, for example. We’re in that world, but we lean into it pretty strongly in 19. That doesn’t always mean that the person is a hero. [Episode] 19 is the answer to that question.”
Oh great, so Nissa's gonna dress up as Black Canary. Or Laurel's Earth-2 evil self.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My immediate impression was that the death was fake. If not, that might be the most poorly written death in history. Why have Laurel alone with Oliver off-screen when she goes into cardiac arrest? Why have the foreshadowing of Ollie talking about certain information being compartmentalized? Why was Ollie in tears when he saw the picture but way more composed than anyone when Laurel died in front of them? It doesn't add up.

Mostly I want it to be fake because I really like Canary and Speedy as a team. They provided a nice counterpart to the sullen Green Arrow and military discipline of Spartan. I also want the Arrow squad's go-to solution to any problem, no matter the size, to be faking a death.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a mantle 2 people have had. 2 total, over 60 years.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

It's a mantle 2 people have had. 2 total, over 60 years.

Don't forget Roy! :downs:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

I mean maybe you're right. But they were nowhere near as bad as Thea calmly slapping a guy who is then inexplicably launched forcibly into a wall or The Arrow fighting bee-man.

This season's had some really good fights/stunts but it's also had multiple varieties of bad fight scenes, and that's pretty sad. In this case it was simple basic technical failures of choreography, directing and editing, real freshman stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just told my friend that it looks like they're making Ollie and Laurel a couple again and he said "That would be cool. More cannon." And then started the episode. I can't wait for the response in half an hour. :mmmhmm:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "many different interpretations" excuse seems to be what they're using to justify the choice.

I don't personally care about them sticking to canon, but that's a real dumb explanation to be using because Green Arrow and Black Canary have actually been incredibly static, comparatively. There's New 52 of course but other than that they survived the various Crisis events nearly untouched.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The synopsis is really on point this week: http://imgur.com/a/Y3b1j

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Tagichatn posted:

The synopsis is really on point this week: http://imgur.com/a/Y3b1j

They just need to let this guy write for season 5.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got a defeated "You fucker" back from him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got a defeated "You fucker" back from him.

Well, this is probably the greatest thing we're going to get out of Arrow. I'm pretty sure we can all stop watching now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TEAH SYAG posted:

They just need to let this guy write for season 5.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
A Felicity-less episode that was actually good, at last! This is what I've been asking for since season 3--

Oh, Laurel's death is not a fakeout? gently caress this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If it's not a fakeout the it wins the award for actual death scene shot most like a fakeout.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Man, I've been an advocate for this show for a while now, and honestly, I think if I were to ever suggest watching this show to anyone, I'd say to just stop after Ra's kills Ollie and call it quits. I'll finish off this season, but unless they can promise some really awesome element to season five, I think I'm done. I've always had this show's back, but honestly, it's getting harder and harder. Flash, too. Well, CW DC shows, it was good while it lasted.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They can make Ollie go on vigilante murder sprees again and come full circle with the last year on the island next season. I guess that would be interesting? Maybe?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Comparatively, yeah, I really do miss the first few seasons. I almost want the entire team to implode and have Ollie go back to taking out mobs of...mobs solo and telling crime bosses THEY'VE FAILED THIS CITY.

Edit: I'll admit I really did like the part in the latest ep with Malcolm yet again just materializing at the bunker/hideout/Arrowcave. At this point it's probably the best running joke on this show because of how ridiculous it is. (Flash kinda has this too, but it's funnier when it's Malcolm.)

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 8, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Next year, Laurel will be back but played by Genevieve Cortese.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

zoux posted:

If it's not a fakeout the it wins the award for actual death scene shot most like a fakeout.

Veronica Mars, Logan's mom wins that for me.

edit: speaking of Veronica Mars, Logan+Veronica season 3 was FAR worse lovely CW drama than Olicity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a way later episode though.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

libertao posted:

edit: speaking of Veronica Mars, Logan+Veronica season 3 was FAR worse lovely CW drama than Olicity.

Yeah but as far as I can remember Veronica Mars didn't start with her being a vigilante that murdered people all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It did have the same problem of Veronica falling for Logan because of who he was, then getting angry at him when he continued to be that person.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm still ticked off at the movie for getting Logan and Veronica back together.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
C'mon thread, a couple more degrees of separation and we can all go wander off to the iZombie thread!

Watch iZombie by the way, it's much better than this show.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Nephthys posted:

Did anyone else find the pacing and editing incredibly fast in this episode? I dunno if I'm just tired because it felt like they were cutting between characters and points so fast it lacked all impact and cohesion.

I mean, the episode was terrible anyway but the start especially felt ridiculously rushed even when the characters were just talking to each other.

Definitely, especially the part where Andy calls like "I got eyes on Merlyn" and they cut to them all being there and Andy's like "MERLYN!" then they chase him and Andy get's shot, all in the process of like 30 seconds. poo poo was so weird.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was about to be the first good episode in a while. I bought Diggle's blindspot for his brother. I bought Thea and Malcolm's fight. I bought the decent character work (finally) with Laurel.

And then the dumbest drat death I've seen a while. As everyone else has pointed out, there's no winning here. The show either killed her off by making it look like an obvious fakeout, or did the world's most obvious fakeout.

Either way.... sigh.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Chokes McGee posted:

C'mon thread, a couple more degrees of separation and we can all go wander off to the iZombie thread!

Watch iZombie by the way, it's much better than this show.

iZombie and Supergirl will sustain me if I do have to give up on Arrow. :cry: Fingers crossed that Riverdale is similarly enjoyable camp.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Narcissus1916 posted:

Either way.... sigh.

This. This x 1,000,000.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fakeout is absolutely not a problem for me, provided the resolution works.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It became obvious Laurel was going to die way back when her dad double-crossed Darkh and started feeding intel to the team. You just can't let a betrayal like that go unpunished. Otherwise it grossly decreases the credibility of the villain.

Anyway, whatevs. The show has been poo poo anyway and this is the final nail in the coffin. :newlol:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hahahahahaha holy poo poo they're starting to backtrack on this

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Earth-2's Black Canary equivalent running around for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Earth-2's Black Canary equivalent running around for some reason.

I thought she wasn't even showing up for two more weeks.

• Locked thread