Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

Don't reneg on an offer after you've accepted it. It's a small world and things like that tend to leave a bad taste in people's mouthes. If it's just an internship, you should probably accept it because there's no guarantee that the other places will hire you. And any experience at this point is more important than "I like this company super best."

I agree.

You can delay for time and let other companies know about the offer in hopes of hurrying them, but don't accept then back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so finally in another two weeks I have my meeting with my Voc Rehab rep, and thank god its not in seattle :)

any cool buzzwords or anything I should stuff in this application to make them buy me things?

The thing that someone stressed to me was that you need to stress how it will assist you getting a job, not just going to college. They make you fill out some paperwork and they also want you to print off like 5 job listings of the job you're trying to get into to prove to them it's not a fruitless endeavor. So, it's "This training/degree will help ready me for a career in _________ due to the nature of the career field, as well as give me valuable experience to prepare myself for a smooth transition out of the military." Something like that.

I got my appointment next week on monday, and I'm pretty hopefully and scared. Hopeful because I'm getting the ball rolling and scared because apparently California is the WORST place to try to do VOCREHAB at and the instructor dude pretty much said that transferring is a huge problem bureaucratically but the wait time is lower than if I just went to Cali and tried to apply all over again.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I agree.

You can delay for time and let other companies know about the offer in hopes of hurrying them, but don't accept then back out.

Agree, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Soulex posted:

The thing that someone stressed to me was that you need to stress how it will assist you getting a job, not just going to college. They make you fill out some paperwork and they also want you to print off like 5 job listings of the job you're trying to get into to prove to them it's not a fruitless endeavor. So, it's "This training/degree will help ready me for a career in _________ due to the nature of the career field, as well as give me valuable experience to prepare myself for a smooth transition out of the military." Something like that.

I got my appointment next week on monday, and I'm pretty hopefully and scared. Hopeful because I'm getting the ball rolling and scared because apparently California is the WORST place to try to do VOCREHAB at and the instructor dude pretty much said that transferring is a huge problem bureaucratically but the wait time is lower than if I just went to Cali and tried to apply all over again.

My biggest voc rehab tip is show up with all the paperwork they ask for (resume, transcripts, whatever else). I did that and my counselor was blown away because less than 10% of the vets she met with came in with what she asked for. Keep in mind that your counselor is a regular person so anything you can do to make their job easier will make you look really good and make them more willing to help you out.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

The thing that someone stressed to me was that you need to stress how it will assist you getting a job, not just going to college. They make you fill out some paperwork and they also want you ttho print off like 5 job listings of the job you're trying to get into to prove to them it's not a fruitless endeavor. So, it's "This training/degree will help ready me for a career in _________ due to the nature of the career field, as well as give me valuable experience to prepare myself for a smooth transition out of the military." Something like that.

thanks, this is helpful. Should the job offering be local to where I live? I don't really think there is much of a market for CS degrees in idaho

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Any job posting should do.

Also re: offer chat. Treat each offer as if they're in a bubble, and do a cost/benefit for each of them. You might get a better offer elsewhere, sure, but is that better than the offer you have right in front of you?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I was in Zeris' position a month ago. Although what was unique to me was the agency who offered first did so knowing that the second agency was going to give me an offer.

I delayed for a week knowing full well that the first agency knew what my end game was.

Sure enough they amended the offer with a "accept this within 24 hours or it's gone."

Could've had two offers or no offers. I took the first one that was a sure thing. Came with some trade offs: lower pay, not on the side of the industry I preferred, but a much better job in terms of what I wanted.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Holy god drat gently caress the kids in my pre-algebra class are a bunch of morons. Not "I don't get this I need help" way but a " I DONT GET IT WHY ARENT YOU DOING IT THIS CONVOLUTED DUMB WAY THAT IM DOING????? THIS IS STUPID DURRRRR"

Jfc shut the gently caress up about how you're an idiot and maybe try to understand the basic god drat child level concepts the professor is trying to teach you? Also there's like 4 other vets in my class and they're the loudest and most retarded out of anyone.

gently caress me I can't wait for higher level classes.
:shepicide:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Veterans are the worst FYI

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Veterans are the worst FYI

It's true. One of my first remedial math classes had a guy with one of those leather biker vests, along with a big 82nd patch on the back, actual pin-on CIB and jump wings on the front, etc, etc. It was pretty disgusting.

Dude was dumb as a box of rocks, too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Did he drop out and come to my school? Because that dude is in my class but he doesn't have an 82nd patch. Kill all vets, nuke everything.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I will not step foot into the vet center/lounge unless I need to for paperwork reasons. The crowd that hangs out there is hilariously terrible.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

It's true. One of my first remedial math classes had a guy with one of those leather biker vests, along with a big 82nd patch on the back, actual pin-on CIB and jump wings on the front, etc, etc. It was pretty disgusting.

Dude was dumb as a box of rocks, too.

I volunteer tutor for a remedial math/science program for vets, and I can confirm that white biker vets are the worst students. They're always prior senior enlisted and think that means they have some special insight as to how fractions work. They invariably do not.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mike-o posted:

Holy god drat gently caress the kids in my pre-algebra class are a bunch of morons. Not "I don't get this I need help" way but a " I DONT GET IT WHY ARENT YOU DOING IT THIS CONVOLUTED DUMB WAY THAT IM DOING????? THIS IS STUPID DURRRRR"

Jfc shut the gently caress up about how you're an idiot and maybe try to understand the basic god drat child level concepts the professor is trying to teach you? Also there's like 4 other vets in my class and they're the loudest and most retarded out of anyone.

gently caress me I can't wait for higher level classes.
:shepicide:

Fun fact: there will be idiots like this in literally every class you take. They'll be a lot less mouthy as things get tougher, but they'll still be around. I've found just focusing on forming some sort of rapport with my professors and ignoring my classmates as Mich as possible has been a pretty good policy, particularly with regard to getting slack when necessary. Try not to focus too much on the next generation of enlisted fodder

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

App13 posted:

I will not step foot into the vet center/lounge unless I need to for paperwork reasons. The crowd that hangs out there is hilariously terrible.

Same. I have a routine. I go in, throw my food in the microwave, set for 2 minutes and walk out to go take a piss. By the time I'm done, I walk back in and the microwave is within 5 seconds of beeping.

At my school it's a combined veterans and adult learners lounge, so you have both vets and oddball older people who are hanging out. Anyone walking in gets mean mugged by the vets immediately. The conversation I overhear is either some spergy poo poo, or some THIS ONE TIME IN FALLUJAH nonsense.

I wasn't even that way when I first got out and tried going back to school. Where do guys get this mentality from?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

I wasn't even that way when I first got out and tried going back to school. Where do guys get this mentality from?

People who are not interesting or useful enough to pay attention to on the basis of their personality/abilities still like attention too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most of the time it's a coping mechanism for dudes that aren't ready to fully transition into the student/civilian life. It lets them talk about the one thing in their lives that they're even moderately proud and knowledgable about with people that are in the same boat.

Some dudes are super weird about it though.

Source: I worked at one of these places for 4 years + did my graduate thesis on it

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah I'll be honest, when I first got out I spent a good amount of time in my community college vet center. It helped my transition a lot, I shouldn't talk poo poo.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

The Rat posted:

Think about all the mental blips that enlisted, the ones that literally copy and pasted the default military personality onto themselves because they didn't actually have one to begin with. The Venn diagram of those guys and the retards that poo poo up your school might not be one perfect circle, but you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze anything in the margins.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've had the opposite experience: I'm an officer with our vet's group and my social life revolves mostly around it.

We don't have biker dudes sporting CIBs though, wearing military poo poo is generally a fast track to having everyone make fun of you, culture is closer to this forum then anything else. When we're not making a permanent presence at the local college bar we mostly just do a bunch of charity poo poo and get drunk during/after while also convincing the school that networking is a good reason to pay for an open bar once a month (in fairness, it actually is).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Fun fact: there will be idiots like this in literally every class you take. They'll be a lot less mouthy as things get tougher, but they'll still be around. I've found just focusing on forming some sort of rapport with my professors and ignoring my classmates as Mich as possible has been a pretty good policy, particularly with regard to getting slack when necessary. Try not to focus too much on the next generation of enlisted fodder

This is exactly what I plan to do. Sit in the middle to bottom tier closer to the professor but far enough away that I can dink around on my phone if I want. I'm going to college to succeed and check out butts.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

thanks, this is helpful. Should the job offering be local to where I live? I don't really think there is much of a market for CS degrees in idaho

It should be ideally where you plan on living. The key fact that they'll tell you though is that if you plan on moving, they will do all they can for you before you transfer. The rub is the office has to request you to be transfered and they have to accept. This is a pointless step because of their "all veterans get help" policy, so they can't really say no. It does cause some issue, ie: this guy my counselor told me about who wants to do the 6 in 6 mountain challenge and the vet office where he wants to move to was pretty much like "hurr durr he sounds like he's more interested in mountain climbing." So once they accept your transfer to whatever state/city you're moving to, you'll be able to completely get the ball rolling. But yeah, any real job posting should do to prove there is a market for it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I had a similar experience at my college. For about a year, I was actively involved in the school's vet group. My goal was to drop all of the dumb military bullshit that excludes everyone and is off putting to some vets. That tactic worked: membership went up and the school administration became incredibly favorable to us.

There were vets who complained about us killing all of the vestigial military stuff like the jargon or oorah kill browns poo poo. But whatever. Any time I was asked about it, my response was, "you left the military right? So leave it in the past and move on."

We all don't, or will ever, forget our time in. Some of it was actually loving cool! But don't let the service be the one thing that defines you.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

If I'm in vocrehab is there any reason I should NOT take one course this summer? I'd like to catch up a little bit, but I don't want to burn benefits or something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been in the vet center exactly once. It's a tiny rear end room, and it's noisy. Supposedly the one at the main campus is really nice.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I had a similar experience at my college. For about a year, I was actively involved in the school's vet group. My goal was to drop all of the dumb military bullshit that excludes everyone and is off putting to some vets. That tactic worked: membership went up and the school administration became incredibly favorable to us.

There were vets who complained about us killing all of the vestigial military stuff like the jargon or oorah kill browns poo poo. But whatever. Any time I was asked about it, my response was, "you left the military right? So leave it in the past and move on."

We all don't, or will ever, forget our time in. Some of it was actually loving cool! But don't let the service be the one thing that defines you.

This, our group is focused on helping our student vets succeed, doing charity stuff to help vets in the community that aren't having as easy of a time as us, and having a social group of people who are closer to our age.

The school has been pretty completely sold on the idea that being a major veteran friendly school is really good for them as well so we've had a lot of success.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My goal was to repurpose the group from war stories to helping guys get in front of recruiters.

A free coffee or catered lunch doesn't pay rent.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mike-o posted:

the kids in my pre-algebra class are a bunch of morons

I'm shocked, shocked

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

If I'm in vocrehab is there any reason I should NOT take one course this summer? I'd like to catch up a little bit, but I don't want to burn benefits or something

depends on how your summer session full time calculations work.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My goal was to repurpose the group from war stories to helping guys get in front of recruiters.

A free coffee or catered lunch doesn't pay rent.

Depends on who's doing the catering

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
A kid in one of my english classes said he was going to be enlist to be a ranger and it was quite the herculean effort to keep from laughing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I had a dork kid in a class who enlisted in the navy right after graduation. He thought him and I were gonna be pals once he knew I was a vet.

LOL get hosed kid

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

I'm shocked, shocked

same :hurr:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Got an offer letter from said startup, plus apologies for its delay (apparently they just fired their HR manager), and they extended my decision deadline as well. Cool all around.

And tinder is weird as gently caress today:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Get a burner phone for the crazy horse chick.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

Get a burner phone for the crazy horse chick.

Look at this idiot that doesn't know about Google Voice

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Look at this idiot that doesn't know about Google Voice

How many nurses and gas clerks you got on the side?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

How many nurses and gas clerks you got on the side?

Yeah ok honey, you're not fooling me. Get off of Mike-O's account.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah ok honey, you're not fooling me. Get off of Mike-O's account.

:wink:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Your girl gets Mike-O off on the regular, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Grem posted:

Your girl gets Mike-O off on the regular, don't worry.

God drat

:vince:

• Locked thread