Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

The weight of your expectations are killing me :(.
Hahah I know you have a different approach to the game and I havent played yet since the expansion/patch hit so I was curious :v:

I was not too excited for any of the new features or mechanics so I am in no rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Magna Mundi had a better idea for corruption than eu4 does today. :colbert: Of course there wasn't much more than ideas.

Anyway the point was that you get corrupt by accepting short-term favors in exchange for control of the state apparatus. It has the major advantage of making any sense at all, imo

Johan posted on the Paradox Forums that Corruption was a community idea from the beta forum..... so Ubik has his hands in EU4 after all!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's probably unrelated to the DLC but things took a weird turn pretty much right away in the first game I started.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There should be a Dragon Blade achievment for conquering China as the new Rome tag.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
We're announcing countries for the Goon MP game tomorrow, so if you don't want to have to pick through whatever's left, go sign up!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Jesus Christ.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, in my latest game Hungary has managed to ally with Austria, Poland (Lithuania), Milan (all of North Italy), and Russia (formerly Muscovy, stretches down to the black sea); they are now ravaging the Ottomans.

Ottos need a buff. Or Euros need to form fewer mega-alliances.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Lori posted:

We're announcing countries for the Goon MP game tomorrow, so if you don't want to have to pick through whatever's left, go sign up!

Speaking of goon MP, thought a few people might like to see how some of the wars go in our games. Big wars involving sometimes 10-20 players are a lot more fun than any war possible war against just AI.

This album is of a war where Westphalia was attacked by Sweden, Pommerania, the Netherlands, and eventually Bohemia, Bulgaria, the Ottomans and Jerusalem with Burgundy defending Westphalia, the Pope attacking Burgundy and Catalonia then joining Burgundy to help fight the Pope. There were a lot of huge battles and it was a pretty crazy war.

http://imgur.com/a/muHCv

This one is just a few smaller scale wars.
http://imgur.com/a/4CR5h

It's possible that none of these would've happened though if this battle had gone differently. Toulouse and Burgundy against Orleans, England and Scotland in the battle that decided who would rule France.

Thought this was a nice looking standoff. I don't play much single player any more because it's hard to go back to after playing MP but you probably don't see lines like this.

MP is even more fun when there's players in every area. We're trying to get to 40 so there's room for 6 more and I think players are going to start more spaced out this time so new players will have a better chance to get on their feet. If anyone wants to give it a try there's a sign up link a few posts up.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Playing a new game as Holland. I'm about to get into the colonization game relatively early, which I hope works out. My main question is if it's possible to do a significant vertical build without development/Common Sense. Will capping out on building slots eventually force me to spread out and get some HRE penalties?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, you'll have loads of monarch points and nothing much to spend them on if you aren't expanding. You can get hilariously ahead in tech, which will make your armies crazy strong, but you kinda need the economic weight if/when you need to stand up to France.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Playing a new game as Holland. I'm about to get into the colonization game relatively early, which I hope works out. My main question is if it's possible to do a significant vertical build without development/Common Sense. Will capping out on building slots eventually force me to spread out and get some HRE penalties?

Vertical, no. Mostly overseas, yes - you can get very rich funneling trade into the English Channel, and you'll at least have productive ways to spend your points if you are busy creating an uninterrupted trade empire from China to West Africa (Americas optional).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

After a long time of pretty much only doing my colonization in the New World (no idea why, I guess I just like having colonial nations), I just finished a game as Morocco right before Mare Nostrum came out and focused purely on dominating trade coming around Africa from the East Indies. Fuuuuck I got rich.

Why does anyone even bother with colonizing the New World when African/East Indian trade just seems outright better, without the hassle of dealing with upjumped colonial nations who will constantly threaten war if not coddled?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is there any feature other than development that is so important to post-patch gameplay while being locked behind a paywall?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Do all wars still end up involving all players once you hit mid-game :(

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

After a long time of pretty much only doing my colonization in the New World (no idea why, I guess I just like having colonial nations), I just finished a game as Morocco right before Mare Nostrum came out and focused purely on dominating trade coming around Africa from the East Indies. Fuuuuck I got rich.

Why does anyone even bother with colonizing the New World when African/East Indian trade just seems outright better, without the hassle of dealing with upjumped colonial nations who will constantly threaten war if not coddled?

Doing both makes you even richer, and colonizing enough in the Old World to get footholds in all the major spots for funneling trade doesn't take all that long in terms of colonist time, since mostly that's a matter of conquest.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Doing both makes you even richer, and colonizing enough in the Old World to get footholds in all the major spots for funneling trade doesn't take all that long in terms of colonist time, since mostly that's a matter of conquest.

India / East Asia should be more lucrative. The reason why the New World was as lucrative as it was was because Spain was able to conquer enormous swathes of it and particularly parts of it that were full of gold. Brazil is 3x the size of India. Portugal did not get 3x the wealth out of it that the British got out of India.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Is there any feature other than development that is so important to post-patch gameplay while being locked behind a paywall?

Development is only really important if you want to go tall, which is not actually much fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Probably not, Estates are the closest, along with the release Horde mechanics that made it almost trivial to WC. But you shouldn't overstate development either, heavy use of it is pretty limited to western Europe.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Quick question on states: a created states applies to every Provence in a region? By default your capitals region is a state, but where can I check my allotted state amount?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Probably not, Estates are the closest, along with the release Horde mechanics that made it almost trivial to WC. But you shouldn't overstate development either, heavy use of it is pretty limited to western Europe.

It should just be renamed western development and the rest of the world gets a different system where they make pottery from mud and get a slight income boost from that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Quick question on states: a created states applies to every Provence in a region? By default your capitals region is a state, but where can I check my allotted state amount?

It's in the Stability and Expansion tab with stability, revolts, and so on

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm in the middle of my first game with the new expansion, as Buganda. The TI over Europe just lifted and... That France :stare:
Also, that Iberia, and Holstein, and Frankfurt...

I'm a protectorate of Castille in the middle of westernizing. Castille has 5000 soldiers, 0 ships and they're 6500 in debt :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drone posted:

There's more territory ripe for the taking in the New World and you can usually extract thousands of ducats from natives when you annex them. Meanwhile you'll have to fight your way into grabbing Old World ports (aside from the southern part of Africa). Also, tons of monarch points for free in the New World and occasionally you actually find the perma bonus events.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it possible for a player, in multiplayer, to be the bottom bitch in a personal union? I ask because we have a couple of friends that play and one is always a flake, I was thinking of having him play Lithuania on the days he is around while I play Poland that way when he finally flakes, I inherit a more built up Lithuania.. I am already in the PU with Lithuania and still a while away from the Commonwealth.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Why do I gain corruption when somebody bribes my cardinal to leave? The corrupt guy just left!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Magna Mundi had a better idea for corruption than eu4 does today. :colbert: Of course there wasn't much more than ideas.

Anyway the point was that you get corrupt by accepting short-term favors in exchange for control of the state apparatus. It has the major advantage of making any sense at all, imo

You'd think they might have even done something like that with the estate system, but I guess that would be impossible since it would mean one DLC's feature being dependent on another, separate DLC feature...

I guess the other answer is that the thing they are calling "corruption" is just an arbitrary name for a system that mainly just regulates tech progress, and is only vaguely meant to simulate actual corruption

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

PleasingFungus posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm having EU3 flashbacks, Bohemia snake is prepped to head for Turkestan

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

This game will not be complete until there is a decision to form a nation based on all these cultures.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What the hell is a "Great Republic"? As in what are its bonuses

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What the hell is a "Great Republic"? As in what are its bonuses

Could be any type of republic

That's just the name for an Empire-level republic, like an Empire-level monarchy could be feudal, absolute, or administrative monarchy.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Oh I thought they got a special roman republican government type but I guess that's a bit too OP for the great 17th century roman empire.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can you still change religion groups by allowing rebels to convert most of your country? This is important for my Ottoman->Arabia->Rome plan.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

uPen posted:

Can you still change religion groups by allowing rebels to convert most of your country? This is important for my Ottoman->Arabia->Rome plan.

Yes, but you can only do that with non-pagan religions now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dibujante posted:

India / East Asia should be more lucrative. The reason why the New World was as lucrative as it was was because Spain was able to conquer enormous swathes of it and particularly parts of it that were full of gold. Brazil is 3x the size of India. Portugal did not get 3x the wealth out of it that the British got out of India.
To be fair, Portugal really didn't focus on Brazil at all until its rivals started sniffing around. Though that could very well have something to do with any wealth in Brazil being much more troublesome to extract than in India, owing to Brazil being near-empty relative to India.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Going from a custom nation to Russia, I turned Muscovy into a march along the way and have been slowly feeding it provinces. It was never of much use and I didn't pay attention to it, but when I started to keep an eye out I noticed that it was researching ideas MUCH slower (it's 1555 and Muscovy currently has two ideas researched in the Religion tree) than my other march (Transylvania, which has 11 ideas researched between three trees). Also, despite having 33 force limit and 40K manpower in reserves, positive income and 300+ development it wont make an army. It used to have an army of about 4, but that apparently got destroyed and it's just not making a new one. It has 200 opinion of me and only a 27% liberty desire, I can't put together why it's dragging so terribly.

I understand that people joke how vassals are dumb, but this is a new low.

Also: Throughout the course of my most recent game I've had two marches and two vassals (Georgia, Transylvania, Muscovy and Novgorod) and not one of them fabricated a single claim. I think Vassal AI might need to be looked at.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Alikchi posted:

I'm having EU3 flashbacks, Bohemia snake is prepped to head for Turkestan

Poland seems to have a very hard time of things in this patch.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also: Throughout the course of my most recent game I've had two marches and two vassals (Georgia, Transylvania, Muscovy and Novgorod) and not one of them fabricated a single claim. I think Vassal AI might need to be looked at.

don't forget to mark the provinces that you want claims fabricated on. set them as 'vital interests' and generally your vassals will be pretty reliable about fabricating claims on them.

otherwise i think they only fabricate claims on your rivals, maybe?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dorkopotamis posted:

Going from a custom nation to Russia, I turned Muscovy into a march along the way and have been slowly feeding it provinces. It was never of much use and I didn't pay attention to it, but when I started to keep an eye out I noticed that it was researching ideas MUCH slower (it's 1555 and Muscovy currently has two ideas researched in the Religion tree) than my other march (Transylvania, which has 11 ideas researched between three trees). Also, despite having 33 force limit and 40K manpower in reserves, positive income and 300+ development it wont make an army. It used to have an army of about 4, but that apparently got destroyed and it's just not making a new one. It has 200 opinion of me and only a 27% liberty desire, I can't put together why it's dragging so terribly.

If you're feeding Muscovy provinces then it's using admin points to core those. Religion is an admin idea tree. Is their admin tech low? Not sure about the rest though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
might be autonomy issues, especially if they're getting overwhelmed by overextension/wrong-religion issues and increasing autonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
No, by all means it looks pretty stable. A lack of admin points might explain its stunted tech progress, but they've had pretty good leaders and the land up north is cheap. Even more strange is their unwillingness to create any type of army despite being totally capable of doing so.

• Locked thread