Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geokinesis posted:

Also unlocks an item for future playthroughs.

What does putting out the fire do?

Go into the crevice you just opened and hit the use button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Roluth posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/v/59187602

Here's a stream the devs hopped in on. At around 33 min (I think), the devs say that drop rate increases as you play more. What?
:psyduck:
They did mention that there were some things balance-wise they wanted to change, as well as patching in some features that didn't make it for release, like more stuff and suspend saves.

I lost a good run because I wrongly assumed that the game had suspend saves, so I can't wait for that and balance changes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Geokinesis posted:

Also unlocks an item for future playthroughs.

What does putting out the fire do?

Lots of stuff, it's the first step in a chain of poo poo to do that unlocks an alternate series of levels to progress through.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

jeez louise, these guys REALLY like their Dark Souls

there's a gun called "Crestfallen" that, well, shoots beams of negative energy. you can shoot stuff until it becomes so crestfallen it shatters and dies

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lovely Senorita posted:

jeez louise, these guys REALLY like their Dark Souls

there's a gun called "Crestfallen" that, well, shoots beams of negative energy. you can shoot stuff until it becomes so crestfallen it shatters and dies

There's a shield with the same "engenders passivity" line as in Bloodborne.

Also the studio's name is dodgeroll.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That isn't unique to her. The marine can kill three (!) basic bullet-kin in a single reload.

True, but Convict can kill that minion in half the time since her fire speed is so fast.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's also multiple Dark Souls NPC tropes and straight up a Chloranthy Ring

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dude with the beers in the breach also quotes the crestfallen warrior word for word (except ctrl+ f dark souls lore replace gungeon lore) fairly often. There's also the trick gun that is a reference to Bloodborne I posted a while back.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The damage bonus you get from timing your reloads properly with the active reloads item is no joke. Probably x1.5 or x2.0 for the entire clip.

Edit: Also, I loving suck at those past battles. 0/4 attempts so far.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 8, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i accidentally kicked the goblin's helmet into the gungeon. sorry goblin....

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

The damage bonus you get from timing your reloads properly with the active reloads item is no joke. Probably x1.5 or x2.0 for the entire clip.

Edit: Also, I loving suck at those past battles. 0/4 attempts so far.

You get a damage bonus?? I thought it was just a slightly faster reload and was only bothering with timing it for single-shot weapons. But it's the whole clip? Yikes this changes everything

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
whats the easy way to find the secret rooms? only way i found them has been thru maps pointing them out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Shifty the Pig is a goddamn hero

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I AM BRAWW posted:

whats the easy way to find the secret rooms? only way i found them has been thru maps pointing them out.

Idk yet if there's a "formula" like Isaac but when I've found them on purpose it's been where suspicious gaps in the middle of the map are. They seem to show up in Chest rooms very often but that might just be my particular RNG. Also enemy bullets can crack walls & reveal them too which is occasionally a nice treat when you're on floor 2 still using your sidearm

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

There's a way to time your reload!? I just click and never stop clicking. This game does a really bad job at teaching you how to play, but I like it anyway.

How do you reload properly, is it in the tutorial? And isn't there a quest in the tutorial? Somehow?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

MussoliniB posted:

There's a way to time your reload!? I just click and never stop clicking. This game does a really bad job at teaching you how to play, but I like it anyway.

How do you reload properly, is it in the tutorial? And isn't there a quest in the tutorial? Somehow?

It's a passive item. Don't worry, it's pretty obvious when you have active reloads on.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gOD drat fat bullets + tshirt cannon knocks these fuckers clear across the entire screen

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heh, the explosive package in the mailbox gun is a literal glitter bomb. :downsrim:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Heh, the explosive package in the mailbox gun is a literal glitter bomb. :downsrim:

It has random effects, glitter being one of many

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a room with a big ornate mirror in it and a chest icon on the minimap...was I supposed to not shoot the mirror?

I used the mirror once, and my reflection changed before giving me a cursed gun and shattering. If you see a chest in the reflection, turn around and open it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, it looks like if you use the shortcut to floor 2, you can drop into the elevator shaft to get the Broken Monitor which, if you take it to level 5 you can apparently unlock a character. I haven't actually managed the latter part, I only found the TV.

You drop the TV when you dodge roll, and the rat WILL steal it, but you can pick it up again so you just have to remember before you leave the room (though I'm not sure how this works with rooms where you need to dodge roll to progress, you'd have to pray for a teleporter before the rat dude steals it).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

I AM BRAWW posted:

Not easy per se, but your basic infinite ammo gun will spark a different color on some/most fake walls. You should shoot any of those wall pieces with a limited ammo gun to see if it cracks, and if it does use a blank to open it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jsor posted:

You drop the TV when you dodge roll, and the rat WILL steal it, but you can pick it up again so you just have to remember before you leave the room (though I'm not sure how this works with rooms where you need to dodge roll to progress, you'd have to pray for a teleporter before the rat dude steals it).

If you 'use' the item your character tosses it, so you can get it across gaps.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jsor posted:

Okay, it looks like if you use the shortcut to floor 2, you can drop into the elevator shaft to get the Broken Monitor which, if you take it to level 5 you can apparently unlock a character. I haven't actually managed the latter part, I only found the TV.

I got the TV to level 5 but there's one section where the giant hammer stalks you in an area filled with gaps and I was down to half a heart by the time I finished playing catch with myself to get to the other side with it.

I usually grab it if I don't have an active item or have extra slots but I've had it bug out in mid air. It's probably easiest if you're the pilot with some kind of flying ability (wax wings or jetpack)

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 8, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhS8hIF_jM
as god intended :clint:

DolphinCop posted:

i accidentally kicked the goblin's helmet into the gungeon. sorry goblin....
When you do this he has to go down after it, which means he gets stuck in a cell again and you have to rescue him :madmax:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just got my first run finished! I found a shrine that took away 1 hp for a permanent damage upgrade on floor 1 which made all auto fire weapons much much better. Imo that should have been the default damage level you do. ALso had the Serious Sam Cannon which I used to Obliterate the boss.

Now to work on that bullet...

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So, spoilers for bonus level bullet hell is absolutely insane, what the heck. Almost won anyways despite my best gun being a loving jolter. Additionally, shotgrubs are harder to not get hit by than the final boss.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 8, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I just found my first rainbow chest. Eight free items, five passives, three guns, all of them extremely good. Spoilering just in case, the h4mmer, the trident, the fightsabre, the heart bottle, frost bullets, orange guon stone, magic sweet (which boosts health, movement, AND damage, jesus...), and a pink guon stone.

:stare: This game..

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 8, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How do you swap skins after you kill the past with a character?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Made it all the way to the forge before getting hosed by the Reaper. I kept getting curse from something but I have no idea what. Didn't have any cursed items or use any shrines. Ah well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Made it all the way to the forge before getting hosed by the Reaper. I kept getting curse from something but I have no idea what. Didn't have any cursed items or use any shrines. Ah well.

Did you pick up anything sword or blade related? Items that have anything to do with that are cursed by default.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Did you pick up anything sword or blade related? Items that have anything to do with that are cursed by default.

Oh. That explains it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orv posted:

I'm getting the sense that maybe this spent a little too long in an insular dev testing setting and ended up with some really bad ideas.

That's definitely the impression I got. Apparently they sent early copies of the game to some streamer superstars eho basically played the game 24/7. That's probably not the crowd you want to blance the game for.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh. That explains it.

Yeah the Gungeon reaaaaaally hates all forms of non-gun based combat. And will actively fight against them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that there are a few weapons like the mailbox and the camera that the in-universe explanation for is "it's shaped enough like a gun that the dungeon doesn't really care that it isn't actually a gun, so you can shoot stuff from it"

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I am no longer curious as to whether you can have a cursed Dragun. Yes, yes you can :stare:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Slowed enemy projectiles is a really good passive item. Made normal enemies easy, tank was very easy too but then 4 pillars was almost undodgeable during the rotating part

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, the forge level really drives this game's difficulty curve right up a loving mountain. It's still fun and all, but man, the last area was a cakewalk compared to this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaggitz posted:

How do you swap skins after you kill the past with a character?
There should be an item you can interact with near the position you pick them from, just click on that.

CJacobs posted:

Man, the forge level really drives this game's difficulty curve right up a loving mountain. It's still fun and all, but man, the last area was a cakewalk compared to this.
I thought so too in the beginning, but you really get used to it after a few runs. There's a couple rooms that can gently caress off though, like the huge open one with two hammers and a lead maiden in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you kill the past anyway?

I got the gun for it pulled the trigger and uh... it just said good job you failed anyway which makes absolutely no sense to me given what the gun actually did.