Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

or they document poo poo only superficially, so it looks like good documentation at first

yep, and since there are no access modifiers there's a lot of guessing about what's meant to be a public api and what's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
good documentation is hard

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

good documentation is hard

no it's not. it's just boring to write, so nobody does it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
decent documentation is merely boring, but it's easy to dump a bunch of time and effort into documentation and still not end up with something good.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i used to write docs, but no one would know where to find them because reasons. then i'd show them where they were, and the response was always "can't you just tell me what i need to know?", so now i don't write docs any more.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

legit good documentation is difficult. acceptable or tolerable or good enough documentation is pretty doable

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i write documentation for myself and stick it in the program's confluence, which i am the only user of. any time someone asks me something thats probably documented i just say "did you check confluence" and then they bluster a bunch about how theyre too good for using useful tools

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

legit good documentation is difficult. acceptable or tolerable or good enough documentation is pretty doable

I agree with this post. Acceptable/Tolerable is easy; if you're lucky enough your users are going to dive in the source and be ready to do work to get the information they need. If you have decent docs, the users can find everything in there, but they have to read through stuff. But that's just decent.

There's a really difficult threshold to cross where you have to conciliate brevity and completeness or just find your place on a spectrum between two extremes, where you get comments like:

- I want simple examples / I want examples that are not just trivial stuff
- the content is too generic for me to imagine using it / the content is too specific for me to figure out how to apply it to my problem
- I don't feel like I have the right background for this / there's too much time spent showing the very basics
- the tone is too dry / the text feels patronizing
- there's too much code / not enough code being shown
- the documentation is too long / the documentation does not have enough details

and so on. Finding how to properly balance that is, in my experience, very hard, and I'm still not sure there's any solution other than "define your target audience, pick one way to do it and stick with it; someone else will write docs for the other audiences". This creates hit-and-miss approaches, but trying to do all of it at once is a very tricky affair.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
good docs for users is hard as hell because they're always dumber than you think. good docs for developers is more probable b/c when developers are dumb you can fire them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you think we've ever fired an employee.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for the rare times i write docs I like to have high level summaries of workflows and processing concepts w/ links into the implementation details.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

good docs for users is hard as hell because they're always dumber than you think. good docs for developers is more probable b/c when developers are dumb you can fire them.

devs are fairly lovely for multiple kinds of docs. They do that "doctor killer" thing where they just assume they know a bunch of poo poo, skip over basics, then come complaining that stuff is not working properly when they crash and burn. Then you have to point to them that if they read things in the order they're supposed to read it, they wouldn't have the problem.

The more you reader knows, the harder it is to railroad them and build up knowledge of your system/tool/whatever in an axiomatic manner, and the more they'll tend to skip around in frustration and take 3 times as long to learn as anybody else because they keep trying to jump ahead when they shouldn't.

So you have to try to coax them into doing things in order. Start poo poo with a list of steps they need to take or things they should see, and maybe tell them when they can start skipping around. If you show that early, they'll internalize the idea they shouldn't skip around better, but it's not always easy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I find its a good idea to write your dev docs as if your target audience doesn't work for your company. the summary info at the start should additionally be written as if you're audience is a sales or account person.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

I agree with this post. Acceptable/Tolerable is easy; if you're lucky enough your users are going to dive in the source and be ready to do work to get the information they need. If you have decent docs, the users can find everything in there, but they have to read through stuff. But that's just decent.

There's a really difficult threshold to cross where you have to conciliate brevity and completeness or just find your place on a spectrum between two extremes, where you get comments like:

- I want simple examples / I want examples that are not just trivial stuff
- the content is too generic for me to imagine using it / the content is too specific for me to figure out how to apply it to my problem
- I don't feel like I have the right background for this / there's too much time spent showing the very basics
- the tone is too dry / the text feels patronizing
- there's too much code / not enough code being shown
- the documentation is too long / the documentation does not have enough details

and so on. Finding how to properly balance that is, in my experience, very hard, and I'm still not sure there's any solution other than "define your target audience, pick one way to do it and stick with it; someone else will write docs for the other audiences". This creates hit-and-miss approaches, but trying to do all of it at once is a very tricky affair.

communication usually fails, except by accident

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
what's the goon verdict on doc comments? i pushed pretty hard for them as the only kind of docs our devs might actually update, got overruled and we now have confluence docs that are far enough out of date to be more dangerous than useful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
before i was a programmer i was a technical writer. mediocre documentation is easy but your users will hate you. good documentation is 80 hour weeks forever and your users will have basically no reaction to it whatsoever. there is no in between. being the documentation person sucks, i don't blame people for not bothering if they can get away with it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

before i was a programmer i was a technical writer.

:hfive:

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

MononcQc posted:

The more you reader knows, the harder it is to railroad them and build up knowledge of your system/tool/whatever in an axiomatic manner, and the more they'll tend to skip around in frustration and take 3 times as long to learn as anybody else because they keep trying to jump ahead when they shouldn't.
This is what frustrates me when trying to read anything normative, my eyes skip ahead a few paragraphs without me knowing and I've missed some vitally important concept never to be repeated again in the document because it was written down once and gosh darnit once was good enough for the author. Reading through any sort of white paper I force myself to read each paragraph at least 3 times because there's always some key concept that requires understanding later in the paper but any insight to where it was first referenced won't be provided.

Not really a problem I guess for the smarter people out there.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ill just google this nevermind q was for map which maintains key order

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 8, 2016

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
LinkedHashMap

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

more like dICK posted:

LinkedHashMap

word thanks

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MononcQc posted:

They do that "doctor killer" thing

Is that the wrong URL? Or am I missing something (:lol: i skimmed the page)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Is that the wrong URL? Or am I missing something (:lol: i skimmed the page)

quote:

The V-tail design gained a reputation as the "forked-tail doctor killer",[10] due to crashes by overconfident amateur pilots with high-level skills outside aviation, [...] "Doctor killer" has sometimes been used to describe the conventional-tailed version as well.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also this owns http://classicprogrammerpaintings.tumblr.com/

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

So this just came up as a bug and now I'm wondering about best practices.
There was a thing being cast to an int that was raising an exception that has code catch and handle it silently and with nothing logged (that's fine, right? :v:)
Changing the cast to Convert.ToInt32() fixed it, but now I wonder if I should just do this instead of casting for everything.

e: grammar

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

So this just came up as a bug and now I'm wondering about best practices.
There was a thing being cast to an int that was raising an exception that has code catch and handle it silently and with nothing logged (that's fine, right? :v:)
Changing the cast to Convert.ToInt32() fixed it, but now I wonder if I should just do this instead of casting for always.

that depends on the language and the use case. if youre going to continue using it as an int/store it in an int variable then yeah using convert is sop. if its, like, a pointer then theres probably a lot of crazy edge cases to think about that hackbunny is way more qualified to tell you about than i am.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rep...cks_-_Yorck.jpg

needs one

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

reviewing a legacy codebase the other team will take ownership of

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

"Coding Team Replying to Latest Feature Requests"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I would read a thread where we just do this all day.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Offshore team responding to request from HQ for more documentation"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

"The sales team came up with a new way to pitch the product which is impossible in reality"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MononcQc posted:

I would read a thread where we just do this all day.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771539

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

CPColin posted:

I like this one

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
our big documentation challenge is that our product is really big and while it's pretty easy to find something going wrong (thanks stack trace explorer), it's hard to figure out what's going on when things are working right unless you've lived in that part of the code for a while. there's no documentation of the DB schema anywhere that I can find for instance, and there's very high level architectural overviews but nothing really at a 'if i do x, how do i expect it to go through various services'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

uncurable mlady posted:

our big documentation challenge is that our product is really big and while it's pretty easy to find something going wrong (thanks stack trace explorer), it's hard to figure out what's going on when things are working right unless you've lived in that part of the code for a while. there's no documentation of the DB schema anywhere that I can find for instance, and there's very high level architectural overviews but nothing really at a 'if i do x, how do i expect it to go through various services'

this sounds more like the challenges of not having documentation than the challenges of writing documentation.

• Locked thread