Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

New Reddit app is out, but please don't delete Alien Blue if you already use it. They pulled AB from the app store. You can still download it from Updates -> Purchased though.

This is stupid. AB is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any good video game collection apps? I'm playing around with CLZ but it took about five minutes to find holes in the database (weird obvious stuff like having NES Remix 2, but not the first one).

EDIT: After some searching I think "Game Vault" may be my jam. "Videogame Backlog Manager" is a bit clunkier, but seems promising too.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 8, 2016

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

installing the new Reddit app gives you 3 months of free Reddit Gold if you're into that kind of bullshit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

installing the new Reddit app gives you 3 months of free Reddit Gold if you're into that kind of bullshit.

OK, I've seen people get "gold" which is something people buy? What exactly does a month of gold get you? I thought is was just a thing to buy like a paypal tip jar for the site and it let's you give people little badges or something.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

flosofl posted:

OK, I've seen people get "gold" which is something people buy? What exactly does a month of gold get you? I thought is was just a thing to buy like a paypal tip jar for the site and it let's you give people little badges or something.

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about/

Really nothing great, only useful features are eliminating ads (since you can no longer just buy a pro version for $2 and eliminate them forever like you could with Alien Blue) and having your front page pull 100 subscribed reddits instead of 50 (since their front page algorithm is loving terrible). Several of the features there, like new post highlighting, are poorly implemented and only sometimes work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheriff posted:

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about/

Really nothing great, only useful features are eliminating ads (since you can no longer just buy a pro version for $2 and eliminate them forever like you could with Alien Blue) and having your front page pull 100 subscribed reddits instead of 50 (since their front page algorithm is loving terrible). Several of the features there, like new post highlighting, are poorly implemented and only sometimes work.

Bleh. I'll stick with Antenna.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I am looking for a new way to consume music, without paying for a subscription or using up a lot of data. My iTunes library has been put through its paces and I am considering going back to my old Google Play Music library to see whats in there, but I'd rather be able to cycle my stored music fairly regularly so I don't end up listening to rerun tracks.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My LastPass renewal is coming up, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to switch to 1Password, since that seems to be more OSX/iOS integrated. Has anyone used both and can remark on the relative quality/features?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

IuniusBrutus posted:

My LastPass renewal is coming up, and I'm wondering if it is worth it to switch to 1Password, since that seems to be more OSX/iOS integrated. Has anyone used both and can remark on the relative quality/features?

Neither play podcasts well, so I can't recommend either for that use.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bobfather posted:

Neither play podcasts well, so I can't recommend either for that use.

Also their weather forecasting capabilities are sub par.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
You can track your haircuts in a 1password secure note

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

Stay with Lastpass.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you're OS X and iOS, get 1 Password, it's a superior product.

If you want your password vault to live in iCloud, get the App Store version for OS X. Be aware, you won't be able to use the vault outside of OS X and iOS. If you want to use Windows 1 Password with it or just don't trust iCloud and want to use Dropbox instead, buy direct from Agile Bits.

I'm partial to the App Store version. I don't know what their upgrade policy is for direct purchase, but I know the App Store version has had at least two major revisions and I haven't had to pay to upgrade those.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

flosofl posted:

If you want your password vault to live in iCloud, get the App Store version for OS X. Be aware, you won't be able to use the vault outside of OS X and iOS. If you want to use Windows 1 Password with it or just don't trust iCloud and want to use Dropbox instead, buy direct from Agile Bits.

I'm partial to the App Store version. I don't know what their upgrade policy is for direct purchase, but I know the App Store version has had at least two major revisions and I haven't had to pay to upgrade those.

In what way is 1Password superior? In terms of integration with iOS and OSX they seem about equivalent to me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

dik-dik posted:

In what way is 1Password superior? In terms of integration with iOS and OSX they seem about equivalent to me.

It's just a vastly superior machine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But they all do basically the same thing? How can either be "vastly superior" when they have identical feature sets?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

But they all do basically the same thing? How can either be "vastly superior" when they have identical feature sets?

The 1 in the name means it's the best.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

It's not owned by LogMeIn. That is the number one reason not to give them any money. Plus subscription-based licensing for an application is pretty dickish.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Another vote of confidence for 1Password. I grudgingly Bought it for all platforms a few months ago, and now I can't imagine living without it. It's awesome and the developers are constantly communicating and improving. Seamlessly switching between my iOS, OSX, and Windows devices (using Dropbox sync) is the poo poo.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Another vote for 1password. Perfectly syncs via dropbox for me to ios, osx, and android every time. Couldn't imagine life without it.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

flosofl posted:

1Password purchased from the Agilebits web store is now able to use iCloud as well. I think they added the capability with version 6.1. Here is the link to their blog post about it. I think now both versions are on equal footing with regards to sync.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
In an average use situation, what benefits does 1password or the like bring over iCloud Keychain? I've thought about jumping ship before but have never been sure if it would a ally be worth it.

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you have anything with 2FA you can have 1password as the generator if you give it the seed then favorite those password to show on your Apple Watch so you can just glance at your watch when you need the randomly generated code. Plus it has things like watchtower where it keeps track of leaks or site breaches in the news and will inform you if your account information is vulnerable. Plus it audits your passwords, poo poo like if they're too old or if you use the same password on multiple sites. So it's pretty awesome if you care about your account security.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you have anything with 2FA you can have 1password as the generator if you give it the seed then favorite those password to show on your Apple Watch so you can just glance at your watch when you need the randomly generated code. Plus it has things like watchtower where it keeps track of leaks or site breaches in the news and will inform you if your account information is vulnerable. Plus it audits your passwords, poo poo like if they're too old or if you use the same password on multiple sites. So it's pretty awesome if you care about your account security.

You're also not limited to Safari if you like to use Mozilla or Chrome.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Another vote for 1password, though I begrudgingly got it originally because there's no good mac version of keepass.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

duckfarts posted:

Another vote for 1password, though I begrudgingly got it originally because there's no good mac version of keepass.

This was more or less me in the past. But since being on 1Password, I don't miss it at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
These things are all also true of lastpass.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

These things are all also true of lastpass.

Subscriptions are gross

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

Subscriptions are gross

Eh, that's fair but it would take many years of this subscription to pay for all the different licences 1pass requires if you have a couple of computers and devices, and money now is worth more than money later.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm gonna vote Dashlane

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
1Password has a subscription with multi-device licensing now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Legs Benedict posted:

1Password has a subscription with multi-device licensing now.

This is for multi-user setups, single user across multiple devices is still the old price model.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a discount if I wanna buy a 1P license for Windows.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What about usage in apps and the like? I see some apps support it natively but is there a quick way to insert passwords for apps that don't? Or is it a wash compared to ducking into Safari settings?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

killa-pope posted:

What about usage in apps and the like? I see some apps support it natively but is there a quick way to insert passwords for apps that don't? Or is it a wash compared to ducking into Safari settings?

Some apps have 1Password integration, those are the quickest. For others, like banking apps, I open the 1Password app, copy the password (these are kept in my favorites), open the banking app, paste the password. It sounds like a pain but only takes seconds and is probably quicker than typing a long secure password with alphanumerics and symbols.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And if you have an iPhone with fingerprint recognition you don't need to enter the master password every time, so it's pretty quick to copy and paste.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a discount if I wanna buy a 1P license for Windows.
If you do all your password adding on your phone rather than your PC, then the unlicensed Windows one works completely except for a 10 second nag screen when you first open your vault.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

If you do all your password adding on your phone rather than your PC, then the unlicensed Windows one works completely except for a 10 second nag screen when you first open your vault.

By unlicensed Window one do you mean just download the trial version they have on their website or what? Does it last forever?

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Last question: I assume it would import passwords from my keychain but does it go the other way/allow keychain to import from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

killa-pope posted:

Last question: I assume it would import passwords from my keychain but does it go the other way/allow keychain to import from it?

I've just switched to LastPass and changed all of my passwords. Whenever I enter the new password for a website, Safari just asks me if I want to update the password it has in the keychain. Works well enough for me.