Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My local sandwich shop does a soup of the week and this week it was cream of mushroom. They take a soup down if it doesn't sell well so I'm guessing people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I would regularly eat cream of mushroom soup from one of my favorite coffee shops, though I'd never eat it from a can unless I'm very hungry and too lazy to go to a 24hr McDonald's. I think the canned cream of soups are almost always made into a sauce/casserole.

Real cream of mushroom is awesome, actually. But cream, salt and umami is generally great.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
OK, so revised question, who's eating the Campbell's cream of Mushroom soup? As just soup and not making using it to make a casserole?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like to imagine the tins you kept seeing at the donation bank were all brought in by disappointed TCC posters.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I have eaten Campbell's cream of mushroom soup with a grilled cheese and it was pretty okay.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Mushroom soup is good with saltine crackers crumbled in.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Yeah, but was that because you wanted to eat cream of mushroom soup with a grilled cheese, or was it because you were out of chicken noodle and tomato soup, and the can of Cream of Mushroom was the only thing in the house?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 8, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, but was that because you wanted to eat cream of mushroom soup with a grilled cheese, or was it because you were out of chicken noodle and tomato soup, and the can of Cream of Mushroom was the only thing in the house?

I would eat cream of mushroom over tomato, because tomato soup is terrible. That said, I've never bought either.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's nice as dinner if you're sick and can't deal with making real food. Throw some crackers in there too

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have some old Video8 tapes, and I've been tasked with digitizing them. I ended up buying an old Sony Handcam from eBay and a KWorld DVD maker that takes the composite input. It works well, but the quality is poo poo.

Am I right in assuming that because the tapes are magnetic and not film, little if nothing can be done to get a noticeably better quality through a method other than my Handycam solution?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

thrakkorzog posted:

OK: So here's my stupid question, does anybody actually eat cream of mushroom soup as just soup?

I do, although not especially often. I love mushrooms and I love dairy products.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
What happened to my stove?

I was boiling water and all of a sudden huge sparks and fire start spewing from the heating element. I run over and turn it off and it stops but it melted a hole in my pot, and melted the heating coils.

http://imgur.com/a/4idSf

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yikes :stare: Uh, electrical arcing from a short beneath the heating element, maybe?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Your stovetop decided it was tired of being a mundane kitchen appliance, and decided to become an arc welder.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

It's Debacterol.

http://www.debacterol.com/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I have some old Video8 tapes, and I've been tasked with digitizing them. I ended up buying an old Sony Handcam from eBay and a KWorld DVD maker that takes the composite input. It works well, but the quality is poo poo.

Am I right in assuming that because the tapes are magnetic and not film, little if nothing can be done to get a noticeably better quality through a method other than my Handycam solution?

http://www.dvforums.com/forums/video8-dvd-without-camera

I think you can find a camera with a digital out (Firewire) port and get better quality than going through composite.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

spog posted:

http://www.dvforums.com/forums/video8-dvd-without-camera

I think you can find a camera with a digital out (Firewire) port and get better quality than going through composite.
The firewire out port is the same as the KWorld DVD maker, in that it is an analog -> digital converter.

You probably need a better device in that slot. Something with a time-based corrector. Try the Canopus ADVC 100 (or anything from the ADVC line). They are available used (eBay), if you buy it at a decent price and use it for a while, you can probably sell it again for that same price.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

madkapitolist posted:

What happened to my stove?

I was boiling water and all of a sudden huge sparks and fire start spewing from the heating element. I run over and turn it off and it stops but it melted a hole in my pot, and melted the heating coils.

http://imgur.com/a/4idSf

This happened in my parents' place. The element cracked and all the energy being pumped into the coil went to the cracked spot, causing sparks and damaged cookware. I think the elements just get old and need to be replaced. Can't tell if yours cracked though. Coils are super easy to replace, though, so hopefully that's all it is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's me, I'm the weirdo who eats canned Cream of Mushroom soup.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition posted:

How do you fast honk?

Nevermind, I found a video answering this.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

YggiDee posted:

It's me, I'm the weirdo who eats canned Cream of Mushroom soup.

I don't like it but Campbell's prints serving instructions for CoM soup as a standalone thing right on the label, it's a soup and you can stir it up with some milk and have a gross old people meal. It's not the best but it def aint just a casserole ingredient.

I am allowed to abbreviate it as CoM as I have eaten it as a soup more than twice but less than five times in my life.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

DavidAlltheTime posted:

This happened in my parents' place. The element cracked and all the energy being pumped into the coil went to the cracked spot, causing sparks and damaged cookware. I think the elements just get old and need to be replaced. Can't tell if yours cracked though. Coils are super easy to replace, though, so hopefully that's all it is.

It also happened in my parents', but it was the oven element rather than a burner, and it practically lit the entire appliance on fire. They ended up getting a whole new range, but that was partly just because theirs was ancient.

So yeah, just an old coil burning out, sort of like a light bulb burning out but on a much higher energy scale. RIP that pot, get a new element. Maybe get all new elements just in case the others are on the verge of failing too?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does anyone know the story behind the first post on this page (the long one about Pudge the Butcher)? http://www.somethingawful.com/weekend-web/realraptalk-escapist/8/

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone know the story behind the first post on this page (the long one about Pudge the Butcher)? http://www.somethingawful.com/weekend-web/realraptalk-escapist/8/

It's probably a Poe. The users only other post seems insincere.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Nevermind, I found a video answering this.

Well... that was informative?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's a Poe?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

1. Refer's to Poe's Law. "Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will be mistaken by some readers or viewers for sincere expressions of the parodied views" So a Poe is a parody.

2. I missed it on my first read-through that the Kewpuh they were ripping on was the SA mod. I...don't know why they are doing that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Does anyone have any experience buying large appliances (Fridge/freezer, washing machine) on Amazon? Moving to the UK for a minimum of two years, and the place I'm moving to does not have anything but an oven, and I don't want to put out a ton of money on appliances if I leave in 2-3 years. Do they install the appliance as well?

What do you do with the old appliances when you move? Any advice is appreciated

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a woven blanket that looks something like this:

No tag, no idea what it's made of; am I likely okay to wash it cold, delicate, and tumble dry on the lowest setting?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Thanatosian posted:

I have a woven blanket that looks something like this:

No tag, no idea what it's made of; am I likely okay to wash it cold, delicate, and tumble dry on the lowest setting?

I'd hang dry it.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
You should be able to if it's wool or synthetic.

That said, err on the side of caution and hand wash cold in your utility basin and hang dry as stated above.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

You should be able to if it's wool or synthetic.

That said, err on the side of caution and hand wash cold in your utility basin and hang dry as stated above.

Let's assume I live in a tiny-rear end two-bedroom apartment (meaning I have no utility basin) in the Pacific Northwest (meaning "hang drying" doesn't really dry, and invites mold). Are there any alternatives?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Let's assume I live in a tiny-rear end two-bedroom apartment (meaning I have no utility basin) in the Pacific Northwest (meaning "hang drying" doesn't really dry, and invites mold). Are there any alternatives?

Bring it to a dry cleaner.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McCloud posted:

Does anyone have any experience buying large appliances (Fridge/freezer, washing machine) on Amazon? Moving to the UK for a minimum of two years, and the place I'm moving to does not have anything but an oven, and I don't want to put out a ton of money on appliances if I leave in 2-3 years. Do they install the appliance as well?

Where are you moving from where houses normally come with fridges and washing machines as part of the deal?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Tiggum posted:

Where are you moving from where houses normally come with fridges and washing machines as part of the deal?

:911:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiggum posted:

In America most people don't bother going to the effort of moving such major appliances between houses and apartments, even if they'd been the one who bought them. As a result, even the odd case of an apartment or rental home that didn't come with a fridge when the first person moved in will have one there when they move out.

Having an in-unit washer/dryer is less common, but definitely not unheard of if there's room and hookups for them present, though such spaces will frequently be left empty at places with cheap rent.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

It's standard in the US to include major appliances on a home purchase contract. Window treatments - drapes, blinds, etc. - are also usually included.

Washer and dryer are somewhat less common, but you will almost always buy the whole set of kitchen appliances when you buy a house.

It's just how it's done over here. :shrug:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family member died and left me pretty much everything

He was a big sports collector and I found a stack of cards carefully packed away. I have no clue who these guys are or if any of them are valuable.

Where can I find out what I have?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fauxtool posted:

Family member died and left me pretty much everything

He was a big sports collector and I found a stack of cards carefully packed away. I have no clue who these guys are or if any of them are valuable.

Where can I find out what I have?

They are likely not worth much of anything (especially the one you have 9 copies of, one graded, none apparently signed)

You can check eBay, look up each player name, the back of the card should have a year and a manufacturer name. So it looks like you have a1990 Frank Thomas from Leaf, if I'm reading that one right. Some are priced at .99 and some are listed at $36+, but neither ones are selling very well. OK, looked closer and I do see this one that looks exactly like what you have for $65
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frank-Thomas-1990-Leaf-RC-PSA-10-/121951002570?hash=item1c64d89fca:g:RrwAAOSwy5ZXCaLc - Still probably won't get that for it, but it might be worth more than a buck or two.

Take them into a sports collectables shop and see if they are worth anything. You might be better off holding on to them for sentimental value. If you have none of that, you would probably get less than $20 for everything I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

McCloud posted:

Here in the states you can buy appliances used (craigslist, et al) for probably 50-75% off. I suspect in the UK it would be even more pronounced. I know this puts you in a position for having to (a) find it and (b) move it, but I think it'd save you several hundred to even a thousand bucks (what you will soon call "quid").

Get rid of them the same way.

Speaking out of my rear end here, because my experience is solely US based.