Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hhhat posted:

I have to point out that the soundtracks for the prequels are loving amazing

Duel of the Fates is definitely like third or fourth most recognizable song in the Star Wars franchise. Which, considering the other ones were in multiple movies, is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

hhhat posted:

I have to point out that the soundtracks for the prequels are loving amazing

I also really like Doug chaings art direction. The design work was fantastic.

I absolutely agree with this. "Duel of the Fates" is a true classic.

I have the "Art of" books for all three prequel movies, and they're really great - even though I don't really care for the movies themselves particularly much. But I still own them... Not the Blu-Ray versions though. Only TFA gets that honor so far.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Cameo posted:

Seriously, how do you spend more than $20 million on a remake of a kitschy 60s TV show?

That movie has a poo poo ton of CGI. Like one of the main characters is a walking talking space suit played by Wayne Knight.

Also Daryll Hannah turns into a huge space monster and eats a guy. Why do I remember so much about this loving terrible movie?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Battle of the Heroes are all loving amazing. Also the Order 66 track.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TFA as a movie squandered far too much of its time and narrative capital on the OT. That does not mean it was a terrible movie. I don't think anyone here thinks it was a terrible movie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The soundtrack to the Prequels was fan-loving-tastic. I even like the song played during the Jax scene though I don't think that made the soundtrack release.

The TFA soundtrack doesn't have as many standout tracks, but it's still drat good.

homullus posted:

TFA as a movie squandered far too much of its time and narrative capital on the OT. That does not mean it was a terrible movie. I don't think anyone here thinks it was a terrible movie.

No, but it's the first Star Wars film where the plot took backseat. It's muddled and character motivations aren't clearly defined. Luckily, JJ is one of the best directors for making high octane propulsive movies. TFA never lets up and I had a blast with it.

sponges fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 8, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, even Lando referred to it as the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy and he used to own it. Which isn't questioning it'd capabilities as much as confirming that it's visibly a heap of garbage that can fly like crazy when she's put to the test.

Right. I guess sort of humanizing that Rey can know the thing backward and forwards and not have figured this out.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Oh man. Not one X-wing in a teaser for a movie called Rogue One?

I think I'm alone in that my favorite part of star wars films has and has always been the space battles. I've been disappointed that nothing has ever lived up to that amazing Death Star sequence, with it's tight plotting, clear suspense and sense of dread as each pilot bites it one by one. Each X-wing feels like it has physics: a weight and a presence, and someone belongs in there.

Every movie space battle since feels like a videogame, complete with floaty physics, lots of barrel rolls and a desire to fit as many things as humanly possible into each and every frame. Any scenes of pilot chatter seems detached from the action.

Fingers crossed for some space battles in Rogue One.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

homullus posted:

I liked it! When I say both the prequels and TFA suffer from their director's weaknesses, it doesn't mean they're bad movies: they're just not perfect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Isometric Bacon posted:

There are some landed ones in the hanger on what looks like Yavin.

Hopefully we didn't see a space battle in the teaser because they're finishing up the VFX on them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

Is this a part of your whole "not believing in love/emotions" thing again.

No; that is a fantasy. You are possibly confusing my writing with the 2003 Renée Zellweger film 'Down With Love'.

It is not necessary to fantasize. People who stand near windows are not 'autistic'; that doesn't make sense. Think of the words that you use, and what they mean.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

jivjov posted:

There are some landed ones in the hanger on what looks like Yavin.

Oh yeah. Forgot about those! That was a nice nod to A New Hope.

They probably didn't include any because the original TFA Teaser had that incredible shot of the X-wings skimming the lake and they didn't want to revisit the well.

Still, X-wings!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That movie has a poo poo ton of CGI. Like one of the main characters is a walking talking space suit played by Wayne Knight.

Also Daryll Hannah turns into a huge space monster and eats a guy. Why do I remember so much about this loving terrible movie?

That is astounding for a goddamn sitcom adaptation that was hopefully written on spec as a lark by some guy trying to prove that he could turn anything into a movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sorry I said AOTC was good.

Look what has happened. The horror. The horror.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

You're essentially demanding that every film be judged and focused in accordance to its value within a lifeless and timeless vacuum.

I am not. I am saying that nerds don't approach moves critically, which results in/from ridiculous decades-long obsession over a franchise.

Neurolimal posted:

It's also absurd to attack critical opinions for adopting critiques they did not themselves notice, then turn around and claim that people who hate the PT are idiots for not appreciating elements the films did not successfully convey to them.

Vintersorg posted:

The RLM stuff was giving people more things to point at instead of, "IT STINKS!". It sounds hyperbolic as gently caress but those reviews were pretty important....

Why did people need to discover criticisms through RLM, when they've been discussing the movies for years? The answer is that they can't discuss them critically despite all of the time spent thinking and discussing the movies. They needed someoe to tell them that Lucas repeats scene set-ups and the like.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

euphronius posted:

I'm sorry I said AOTC was good.

Look what has happened. The horror. The horror.

best prequel though, it's really fun

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No; that is a fantasy. You are possibly confusing my writing with the 2003 Renée Zellweger film 'Down With Love'.

It is not necessary to fantasize. People who stand near windows are not 'autistic'; that doesn't make sense. Think of the words that you use, and what they mean.

This is hilariously obtuse, even for you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am not. I am saying that nerds don't approach moves critically.

Why did people need to discover criticisms through RLM, when they've been discussing the movies for years? The answer is that they can't discuss them critically despite all of the time spent thinking and discussing the movies. They needed someoe to tell them that Lucas repeats scene set-ups and the like.

It says that they've never been to film school, and so required actual filmmakers to give them the words to communicate their criticism. Think Pop Science, but for film.

Everyone can think critically, and nobody has the True opinion on the quality of art or what art means. Stop your fruitless search for objectivity in service of dismissing others, and instead look for the subjective truth on why their critiques bother you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

Think Pop Science, but for film.

Uhh...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Think foodbabe, but for film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And the prequels you have the phenomenon where people criticize them for things they love in the OT - cheesy dialogue, "fake" special effects, goofiness, etc. What's loved in the OT is hated in the PT.

You're really bad at picking up on nuance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

You're really bad at picking up on nuance.

The nuance is "I don't actually have a rational reason for dis/liking this thing, I just dis/like it".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like I know technically TFA is supposed to be a "bad movie" because it's similar to A New Hope one of the raddest movies ever made and that's a terrible thing for some reason but even if it adhered to ANH even more closely I'd still love it just from the characters and their chemistry.

TFA is nothing like A New Hope. Some dingbat wrote an article on the Huffington Post claiming this and a lot of people just kinda latched onto it mindlessly. On a super basic superficial level they both have some story elements that are the same and can be found in countless hundreds of stories before it, but beyond that they are entirely different original movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

TFA is nothing like A New Hope.

Well to be more accurate, it's similar but worse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Well to be more accurate, it's similar but worse.

Because your subjective opinion is fact?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think I'm alone in that my favorite part of star wars films has and has always been the space battles. I've been disappointed that nothing has ever lived up to that amazing Death Star sequence, with it's tight plotting, clear suspense and sense of dread as each pilot bites it one by one. Each X-wing feels like it has physics: a weight and a presence, and someone belongs in there.

Every movie space battle since feels like a videogame, complete with floaty physics, lots of barrel rolls and a desire to fit as many things as humanly possible into each and every frame. Any scenes of pilot chatter seems detached from the action.

Fingers crossed for some space battles in Rogue One.

The ideal scenario would be if the final film is paced like Fury Road but with X-Wings and a small cruiser instead of the rig.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rogue One is basically the Star Wars Dark Forces movie I always wanted.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

TFA is nothing like A New Hope.

what

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Because your subjective opinion is fact?

What I've written is both true and accurate. You are being challenged.

When I wrote that TFA has bad writing, and posted several examples, nobody accomplished the simple task of actually praising the writing. Instead it was a weird outburst of calling George Lucas subhuman and whatever. It should be a simple task, and yet.

There is no concern for truth or accuracy. Fans traffic in deceit. We have seen this time and again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think my three favorite Star War movies are ESB, ROTS, and AOTC. Probably in that order. I like them all, but at this point I would rather watch TFA than ROTJ.

I said come in! posted:

TFA is nothing like A New Hope. Some dingbat wrote an article on the Huffington Post claiming this and a lot of people just kinda latched onto it mindlessly. On a super basic superficial level they both have some story elements that are the same and can be found in countless hundreds of stories before it, but beyond that they are entirely different original movies.

Let's not say things we don't mean. They're both about a young person on a desert planet who gets drawn into the battle against the galacto-fascists and their Stormtrooper goons, struggles a bit with the Force, and uses it convincingly in the triumphant final battle that also results in the destruction of the world-destroying spherical superweapon. I say poppycock to your "countless hundreds of stories before it." Poppycock, good sir or madam.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I said come in! posted:

Rogue One is basically the Star Wars Dark Forces movie I always wanted.

Command Ant posted:

Spoiler: That girl's real name is Minnie Bothans.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

nvm

sponges fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Everyone can think critically

Nerd culture and fandom is based on not thinking critically.

homullus posted:

Let's not say things we don't mean. They're both about a young person on a desert planet who gets drawn into the battle against the galacto-fascists and their Stormtrooper goons, struggles a bit with the Force, and uses it convincingly in the triumphant final battle that also results in the destruction of the world-destroying spherical superweapon. I say poppycock to your "countless hundreds of stories before it." Poppycock, good sir or madam.

Uuh, did you even watch the movie? Rey doesn't have formal training in Force powers. It's super original!

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Whatever helps you sleep at night, friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hahaha you really do not know anything and this confirms it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
TFA has roughly the same plot as Star Wars, but is different because of weird shifts in the narrative.

It's a version of Star Wars where Obiwan blows up the Death Star with the help of his wife Mon Mothma. The Luke-equivalent character doesn't really do anything.

Neurolimal posted:

It should be very easy to prove him wrong.

Just grab like a screencap, or some dialogue from the script, and write about the techniques.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It should be very easy to prove him wrong.

I don't have mind control powers, so it would actually be quite difficult.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

I said come in! posted:

Hahaha you really do not know anything and this confirms it.

What do you think being a fan means?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

You are possibly confusing my writing with the 2003 Renée Zellweger film 'Down With Love'.

Happens to the best of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

What do you think being a fan is?

To enjoy something to the point of searching for similar works.

I do not believe P-Zombies exist in real life. Only in strange fetish horror films.

• Locked thread