Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

e: 1934 - Colonel Blimp first appears in the London Evening Standard.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Which one of you is Schwarzenegger?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Uhhh, Junior?

Nice flub, Corbyn.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes it is my duty to remind the thread that today is my birthday and 3 years ago I was given the greatest gift of all!

It is also now my wedding anniversary. Should be easy to remember!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

feedmegin posted:

Um it reaaaaally didnt, actually, most famously in the 1850s. Nor does any legislature anywhere get to just void legislation in the way you describe. If it could it would just as much be effectively the dominant part of government as it is now.

I'm quite happy with the dominant part of government being compatability with human rights tbh

JFairfax posted:

how do you fit forced sterilisation with a human rights agenda?

tories aren't human, problem solved

e; lol you think I'm thinking of sterilisation and not bullets

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 8, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
how do you fit forced sterilisation with a human rights agenda?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeremy Corbyn
18 mins ·

It is now clear that the Prime Minister has misled the public about his personal involvement in offshore tax avoidance schemes. It took five weasel-worded statements in five days for the Prime Minister to admit that he has personally profited from an undeclared Caribbean tax haven investment deal.

After years of calling for tax transparency and attacking complex offshore tax arrangements as “morally wrong”, the Prime Minister has been shown to have personally benefited from exactly such a secretive offshore investment.
His determination to conceal that arrangement over many years raises serious questions over public trust in his office and his willingness to be straight with the public. It is extraordinary that after pocketing the profits from his offshore investment trust, the Prime Minister was lobbying the European Union against transparency in the ownership of trusts.

Once again the message has gone out that there is one rule for the wealthy and another for the rest of us. Dodging taxes is a moral issue. It is taking money for schools and hospitals out of the pockets of working people.
But the revelations of industrial scale tax dodging and corruption from Panama haven’t just raised issues about the Prime Minister’s personal integrity. They also highlight his Government’s failure to take decisive action to crack down on tax avoidance and evasion.
Government connivance with tax havens and refusal to take serious action against tax avoidance and evasion is sucking tax revenues from our public finances. Tolerance of tax avoidance and tax havens, and inaction on tax evasion, is denying funds to the public purse and leads directly to cuts in services and benefits that are hurting millions of people in Britain.

The Prime Minister has lost the trust of the British people. He must now give a full account of all his private financial dealings and make a statement to Parliament next week. Only complete openness from the Prime Minister, and decisive action against tax avoidance and evasion, can now deal with the issues at the heart of this scandal.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Talk of sertalizing people, and talking down to the people who don't agree with you is a big reason why the elft in the UK aren't taken seriously.

I don't think it's fair to bother a politican by suprising them on the streets, regardless of if I agree with them or not. Like when those people harrassed Nigel Farage in the pub with his family - to put it mildly, I don't like Farage or his views, but there's a time and a place, you know? I'm no fan of Corbyn's, but suprising him when he's literally coming out the house in the morning is pretty unprofessional. MPs do have office hours.

Not a bad statement by Corbyn, if only he could deliver like that more consisently.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Jeremy Corbyn
18 mins ·

It is now clear that the Prime Minister has misled the public about his personal involvement in offshore tax avoidance schemes. It took five weasel-worded statements in five days for the Prime Minister to admit that he has personally profited from an undeclared Caribbean tax haven investment deal.

After years of calling for tax transparency and attacking complex offshore tax arrangements as “morally wrong”, the Prime Minister has been shown to have personally benefited from exactly such a secretive offshore investment.
His determination to conceal that arrangement over many years raises serious questions over public trust in his office and his willingness to be straight with the public. It is extraordinary that after pocketing the profits from his offshore investment trust, the Prime Minister was lobbying the European Union against transparency in the ownership of trusts.

Once again the message has gone out that there is one rule for the wealthy and another for the rest of us. Dodging taxes is a moral issue. It is taking money for schools and hospitals out of the pockets of working people.
But the revelations of industrial scale tax dodging and corruption from Panama haven’t just raised issues about the Prime Minister’s personal integrity. They also highlight his Government’s failure to take decisive action to crack down on tax avoidance and evasion.
Government connivance with tax havens and refusal to take serious action against tax avoidance and evasion is sucking tax revenues from our public finances. Tolerance of tax avoidance and tax havens, and inaction on tax evasion, is denying funds to the public purse and leads directly to cuts in services and benefits that are hurting millions of people in Britain.

The Prime Minister has lost the trust of the British people. He must now give a full account of all his private financial dealings and make a statement to Parliament next week. Only complete openness from the Prime Minister, and decisive action against tax avoidance and evasion, can now deal with the issues at the heart of this scandal.

a decent statement if not quite strong enough, I'm not sure what he has to lose by calling for a resignation

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OldMemes posted:

MPs do have office hours.
Yeah, but finding out which day of the week it is can be quite a challenge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I'm quite happy with the dominant part of government being compatability with human rights tbh
Wouldn't that be the judiciary though?

Legislature passes a law, the executive enforces it, someone that it is enforced upon says that it's infringing their human rights, it goes to court, passes up the chain if due complaint is found until it reaches the Supreme Court or other highest court, and if they say it's incompatible with existing human rights legislation or the constitution or whatever then the law can be reinterpreted or struck down.

That provides a check and balance on the democratically elected legislature, given that the demos can sometimes get into a knee jerking frenzy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Wouldn't that be the judiciary though?

Legislature passes a law, the executive enforces it, someone that it is enforced upon says that it's infringing their human rights, it goes to court, passes up the chain if due complaint is found until it reaches the Supreme Court or other highest court, and if they say it's incompatible with existing human rights legislation or the constitution or whatever then the law can be reinterpreted or struck down.

That provides a check and balance on the democratically elected legislature, given that the demos can sometimes get into a knee jerking frenzy.

You're right, I did mean judiciary and was thinking in particular of the high court finding the bedroom tax illegal as well as other tory policies being incompatible with pre-existing legislature, if it were in the context of a three-way balanced system similar to the French or Americans, just not as hopelessly poo poo.

The current problem I have with judiciary is that it's not actually able to check these massive oversteps before we have thousands of people dying. Culpability for the sitting cabinet would also be very nice, since IDS really should be facing life in prison for genocide.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Spangly A posted:

a decent statement if not quite strong enough, I'm not sure what he has to lose by calling for a resignation

Calling for a resignation would be bad for Corbyn.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

You know what 'genocide' means right? IDS's bad policies caused a big drop in quality of life for a lot of vunerable people. That's sleazy and unethical, but not genocide.

I don't think Corbyn calling for a resignation would help him much, considering his unpopularity with a lot of the public.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OldMemes posted:

You know what 'genocide' means right? IDS's bad policies caused a big drop in quality of life for a lot of vunerable people. That's sleazy and unethical, but not genocide.

Yes, I know what genocide means, and what IDS did is genocide. He enacted legislation that lead to the deaths of thousands of people in a singular class. The fact that the UN convention of genocide chose, after much lobbying, to remove social class as a characteristic does not mean class does not exist. You are incorrect.

OldMemes posted:

I don't think Corbyn calling for a resignation would help him much, considering his unpopularity with a lot of the public.

Fair point, I'd view it as him not exactly likely to get a worse reception from the press than he already does.

Corbyn should apparently have resigned for calling Cameron out in the first place, remember?

OldMemes posted:

Genocide refers to race, according to the UN.

this is a non sequiter, also wrong.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Yes, I know what genocide means, and what IDS did is genocide. He enacted legislation that lead to the deaths of thousands of people in a singular class. The fact that the UN convention of genocide chose, after much lobbying, to remove social class as a characteristic does not mean class does not exist. You are incorrect.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Okay then, he didn't do a genocide. He did a targeted extermination.

Happy?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

If Corbyn asks Cameron to resign and Cameron says no, then Corbyn should resign.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

ah yes what could possibly go wrong with eugenics

some catholics might slip through

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I don't think anything is gained by either Cameron or Corbyn resigning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think you should resign, your numbers are clearly down

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Corbyn calling for more information from Cameron is a good move imho.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Cameron resigning now as opposed to 2019 means that the person running for 2020 has to answer for academisation, the collapse of the NHS, and the continued failure of austerity. It damages the conservatives ability to win another election.

OldMemes posted:

Cameron should make a charity donation as a gesture of goodwill. That's easy PR, not sure why he hasn't done that.

I'm not sure it's that simple, if the papers end up running with a number for his dad's account people are going to compare the donation to the size of the offshore fund, not the amount of tax the fund avoided. Papers always go with the bigger number.

The expensive clever move would be to dump his dead dad under the bus and allow HM revenue to repatriate the total of the avoided taxes, but this is impractical. It would be extremely hard to argue that he's cheated the system if he makes it look as legit as possible, because nobody is going to focus on the intangibles like Eton or the fact he's pm as being related to profiting from hiding wealth.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 8, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cameron should make a charity donation as a gesture of goodwill. That's easy PR, not sure why he hasn't done that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Charity is counter to Tory policy. The ghastly oiks should bootstrap themselves out of impoverishment.
It's also a tad late for meaningless gestures.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Cameron resigning now as opposed to 2019 means that the person running for 2020 has to answer for academisation, the collapse of the NHS, and the continued failure of austerity. It damages the conservatives ability to win another election.

Yeah, and the current other leaders aren't One Nation Conseratives or Blairites, but people who make Thatcher at her worse seem reasonable who then without any of Cameron's moderation, gut everything because of the free market. That would be a pyrrhic victory at best.

Dan Jarvis for PM 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OldMemes posted:

It's admitting culpability.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, and the current other leaders aren't One Nation Conseratives or Blairites, but people who make Thatcher at her worse seem reasonable who then without any of Cameron's moderation, gut everything because of the free market. That would be a pyrrhic victory at best.

Dan Jarvis for PM 2020

what do you think is left?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's admitting culpability.

I think people would like a PM would holds up his hands and admit they made a mistake more than one who ignores issues. But then, until further details are released, we don't know if it was a mistake, or a massive scandal. I imagine that the majority of Ian Cameron's holdings would go to his two older children? Cameron's worth about £3 million on paper, iirc.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Spangly A posted:

what do you think is left?

We don't live in Venezuela, but if funding doesn't increase, the lack of public funding means some places might start to look like it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dan Jarvis is a charisma void with a backstory that makes liberals wank themselves raw and nothing else. He threw his hat in the ring with the Guardian waving his flag and nobody cared. He's got every problem that the other three had that led to Corbyn's victory in the first place.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OldMemes posted:

We don't live in Venezuela, but if funding doesn't increase, the lack of public funding means some places might start to look like it.

It doesn't matter who's in charge, they either devalue the pound and print money like it's going out of fashion, or we're going to make the gilded age glitter again.

The tories existing is never a phyrric victory. People are dying in the thousands. The NHS will not be able to continue existing. The majority is slim, and the goal is to have them fighting so much that there are enough defectors for Labour to steer policy debate. Cameron has lost control, but him resigning will be a talking point that will disrupt government until the next election. The less legislation they can pass, the better.

OldMemes posted:

Talk of sertalizing people, and talking down to the people who don't agree with you is a big reason why the elft in the UK aren't taken seriously.

I just saw this and would like to point out that it's entirely untrue. Liberalism "won" and it was always a fan of eugenics. Ober reminds us of this whenever he finds more charming little notes in his archives. Me talking down to an actual antipapist is not the reason the left isn't taken seriously, that would be the billions of pounds of propaganda and concerted anti-intellectual attempts of multiple nations in the last five decades.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 8, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
personally i think donating a small amount of your fortune to make up for the "mistake" of loving around with offshore companies in tax havens most of your adult life after you get caught red handed is not a genuine gesture of good will

and id be more disappointed than usual in the great british public if they ate such obvious bullshit up

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
thanks for the long boring series of posts about eugenics guys, really enjoyed skipping over that

my ukip supporting friend apparently was at the UKIP Scotland manifesto launch and was apparently quoted in a Breitbart UK (yes, this is apparently a thing that exists) article; and then bemoaned on Facebook about how "polite respectful politics" had died because protesters dared to shout at are nige; and that's incredibly laughable if you know anything about how election campaigns were carried out in the days before they were heavily stage managed for television - I don't think Smethwick 1964 (that was the "if you want a friend of the family for your neighbour vote Liberal or Labour" one) was particularly respectful, and that sort of thing done by people not officially linked to the campaign (in some places they encouraged kids to do that sort of thing) was common until really quite recently - I suppose now you have the same thing, only its the national press doing it to major figures and not just local candidates. His photos have everyone vaguely young wearing suits and looking like your stereotypical young UKIP person, which is good since if they go out campaigning like that they'll probably convince no one to vote for them and then not get any MSPs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I think people would like a PM would holds up his hands and admit they made a mistake more than one who ignores issues.

In a vacuum, and in person, perhaps.

However in politics admitting a mistake means that you invite an incessant chorus of people baying for your blood because forgiveness is a rather personal thing. "We should all forgive the PM" doesn't make a good headline.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In a vacuum, and in person, perhaps.

However in politics admitting a mistake means that you invite an incessant chorus of people baying for your blood because forgiveness is a rather personal thing. "We should all forgive the PM" doesn't make a good headline.

There's already plenty of Comment articles being written in the style though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

tooterfish posted:

Okay then, he didn't do a genocide. He did a targeted extermination.

Happy?

the pissflaps is spreading to other posters, run

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

There's already plenty of Comment articles being written in the style though.

There are, but I think there would be rather more if he actually admitted to it barefaced.

You don't get forgiveness for the asking when the papers are concerned. You get it by pretending you never did anything wrong and slipping them something under the table.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
What charity could David Cameron donate to that wouldn't elicit a round of comments about how the cause he's donating to is in a worse position because of him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

What charity could David Cameron donate to that wouldn't elicit a round of comments about how the cause he's donating to is in a worse position because of him?

Eton is a charity.

• Locked thread