Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I did the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Blue Nation posted:

Everything was perfect, and the savage garden song took me back to my highschool years.

Yeah, the morioh crew is actually my age so savage garden is my high school experience, haha

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Syncs perfectly, it's a pity that they couldn't cinch the rights for the song in time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

Syncs perfectly, it's a pity that they couldn't cinch the rights for the song in time.

We must be back hunting DIO cos I can see denial

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

it works so well...

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3zGqDmwj_A

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That OP is loving fire.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The scene transitions in this episode are a cut above basically everything.
They're ridiculous.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/TerrificFinishedKagu.webm

Miley Virus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 8, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
David blew the whole budget on these transitions, the next episode is Araki reading the manga

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jesus, Araki really does hate dogs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Speculation: Jotaro wears a white hat now because he started going grey early.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Holy poo poo what a loving amazing episode.

This show is the loving best, and I'm immediately remembering why Pt4 is my favourite.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i love how this season already has a super distinct feel compared to the ones before it. it's incredibly fitting, and i can't wait to see if they edit more into the OP/ED as time goes along.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Can we talk about Oh! That's A Baseball

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Do you think Oh! That's A Baseball 64 requires the expansion pack?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Am I missing something? Because I'm not feeling the ED song even though it seems to be satisfying to everyone else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shakugan posted:

Jesus, Araki really does hate dogs.

Until the Let's Read thread covered that part, I had honestly forgotten about that scene. :allears:

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Was it just me, or was Atum still throwing the pitch?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The OP and ED are so loving on point, I just wanna peak into the future and see what they choose for Parts 5 and 6. oh my god it's gonna be so good.

Also Angelo got loving rocked this episode. Nice job picking a fight against TWO Joestars.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RubberLuffy posted:

The OP and ED are so loving on point, I just wanna peak into the future and see what they choose for Parts 5 and 6. oh my god it's gonna be so good.

Also Angelo got loving rocked this episode. Nice job picking a fight against TWO Joestars.

I totally forgot about both ways Josuke caught Aqua Necklace.

Both are hilarious and disgusting.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xelkelvos posted:

Am I missing something? Because I'm not feeling the ED song even though it seems to be satisfying to everyone else.

I had literally never thought of the song after the year 2000 but it was big at the time.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it's some sort of 90's nostalgia effect? I thought it was kinda boring and the lyrics don't fit the arc or characters at all :shobon:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i hope the anime-only people notice that right from the beginning angelo was a villain with actual character despite only being there for an episode or so. that trend carries on throughout this entire arc and the ones afterwards as well, for the most part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I like to interpret it as david being passive aggressive about F-Zero being killed off.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a nice song, the visuals are superb (Lisa Lisa eyes on a soon to be relevant sign!, all the Josuke bits), it's not All Star, it came out of left-field, it defies expectation. It's perfect in the same way Last Train Home was despite not being a similar song at all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bad Seafood has made a really good post about Angelo and N'Doul are functionally the same character, but Angelo has a lot more Character behind him and interacts with the world around him realistically which is basically how Part 4 operates. I'll try and find it and quote it here later on unless someone beats me too it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Superb? It's a flyby of a 3-d model while concept art awkwardly scrolls towards you. I get that it's a cool town and *colors* but it's kinda lazy looking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's a nice song, the visuals are superb (Lisa Lisa eyes on a soon to be relevant sign!, all the Josuke bits), it's not All Star, it came out of left-field, it defies expectation. It's perfect in the same way Last Train Home was despite not being a similar song at all.
The visuals are always on point, but at least with Last Train Home, there was at least a thematic connection in the song (Roundabout wasn't really all that on point either, but they made up for it by using its lead in at dramatically opportune moments). This one, I'm not quite getting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, as compared to the wonderful previous EDs which were not almost all pans on still images.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ED song is really good and works well as a first season kind of thing. it's pretty lowkey, and it's not like the lyrics of the other ED songs were super fitting unless someone considers a mention of the word 'stand' in a completely out of context way as one. walk like an egyptian was about egypt...and not really much else.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Stand by REM

I made the best ED you guys.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Here's the Bad Seafood post about Angelo.

Bad Seafood posted:

So Angelo! Let's talk about Angelo...by going into the paaaaaaaast and talking about somebody else. We'll get back to Angelo though, I promise.

So this dude here is N'Dour. Or N'Doul, I guess. N'Doul is probably more accurate, I'm just stuck in my ways (I still call Esidisi "ACDC").

N'Dour has a lot in common with Angelo. Both of them are criminals who murder and steal to get what they want. Both of them have water stands. They're pretty dangerous guys. N'Dour tends to be a lot more popular than Angelo though, which makes sense. Angelo's a punk and a pedophile, whereas N'Dour has this mysterious dignity about him. He's a bad guy, yeah, but he rocks the blind warrior thing while possessing a philosophical disposition. Personally I think he's super cool.

He's also fanatically devoted to Dio, which is why he's camped out here waiting for the Joestars to arrive. Camped out in the middle of the desert. Must've taken awhile though, waiting for them to arrive. What're you up to N'Dour? What's cracking? What does a guy like you get up to when Lord Dio's enemies aren't around?

...Not much I take it. Well I guess that makes sense. Guy's blind and on guard duty, so he really doesn't need a distraction from his all-important job. The desert isn't exactly a pleasant place to be though. How long has he been out here? Where are his supplies? Presumably he'd need to be eating or drinking something to last this long in the hot Egyptian sun.

Nothing. I guess you could convince me he set up camp or something off-panel but the guy's already hidden away and, most importantly, blind. I think he'd keep the goods close by for easy access.

This is one of the things I'm talking about when I say that Part 3 feels very "Video gamey." You've got a lot of bad guys who are just "Around" without much thought for how they got there or who they are when they're not hunting down the Joestars. Personally I don't mind it - in a way it enhances the theatrical nature of things - but for a lot of people it can feel really artificial. How'd he get out here, waiting in such proximity to where the Joestar boys emerged from their sunken submarine? Out of every Pakistani town, how'd Steely Dan pick the one he was sure our heroes would come to after taking care of Enya?

What was Vanilla Ice's job before he became Dio's biggest fan?

Like I said, I don't mind that Araki doesn't really expand on these things. Vanilla Ice is clearly designed to be menacing, and perhaps make the reader slightly uncomfortable, and he succeeds. I have no beef with this fighting game character design philosophy that prioritizes aesthetics over more sensible outfits. All the same, it's a thing.

So let's talk about Angelo. Angelo's a murderer, rapist, thief, and pedophile. Josuke's grandfather says he likes to kill for fun. He's clearly a bad guy most normal people wouldn't want anything to do with. Currently he's staking out Josuke's house, waiting for it to rain. I've never lived in Japan, but I imagine the weather there's as fickle as it is anywhere else. Like N'Dour, Angelo must've been prepared to wait awhile.

What are you up to Angelo? Watching the house?

Oh, you're eating. Don't forget to wash it down with-

-something.

So this is something Araki...I won't say "Starts" doing in Part 4, but starts employing far more effectively. In any previous part, and in many other comics in general, Angelo would just be "There" much like N'Dour was just there; watching, waiting to strike. Less of a character, more of an obstacle with a human face. Instead, Angelo is integrated into the world. He may be one-dimensionally evil, but he's human. He needs to eat and drink. He'll probably need to take a piss in a few hours.

Little details like this humanize Part 4's characters, even though they're the kind of thing we often take for granted. Angelo's clearly eating some kind of fast food, which means he must've gotten down from that tree at some point and gone over to a restaurant and ordered a burger and coke. He could just be watching Josuke's house through binoculars, but instead Araki decided to make him more visually interesting by giving him something to do with his hands and his mouth. It's amusingly inane.

This is the most minor spoiler ever, but in the next chapter when our heroes go outside Angelo is shown wearing what looks like an army surplus poncho.

Dude's effected by the elements! He probably had to get down from that tree to put it on. Or maybe he just finagled with it while up in the branches. That's kinda funny to think about.

I wouldn't consider Angelo to be a great character, but he has a real presence in the world these little touches build up. He's totally twisted and rotten to the core, but he has needs like anybody else. And opinions! Remember when he killed that guy and his dog? His reaction was pretty over the top, but it added a fun little quirk to an otherwise one-note villain. Angelo may be a vicious criminal who does as he pleases, but people who LITTER? Leaving their dog poop and cigarette butts wherever? Those guys are the real scum of society. Them and anyone he considers to be well off, just taking things for granted. Sounds like ol' Angelo has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

The other thing I "Like" about Angelo - and I'll keep this part brief because it's pretty self-evident - is how effectively his stand demonstrates how little overall power means in the Arakiverse. Jotaro's no slouch. He won the stand lottery with Star Platinum. Power, speed, precision. He can even stop time, though he hasn't in awhile. A decade or so ago he killed a 100-year-old vampire in a duel to the death. Even so, Angelo, the starter bad guy of Part 4, poses a threat to him. Once it starts raining, it takes all of Jotaro's ability to avoid just getting chumped immediately. He can knock Aqua Necklace away, sure, but he can't damage it in any meaningful fashion. As Part 4 goes on we'll be seeing a lot of stands which, conceptually, shouldn't really be a big deal, but their users manage to make the most of them.

It's not what you've got but how you use it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

But why are you listing that as a good point though?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Because it's the best thing ever.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It's a song that people liked at the time and it's cool to hear it again.
I'm also much happier with it than I'd be with freaking smash mouth, but that's probably heresy in this thread.

Not really much to discuss when it comes to differing tastes in music. Some will like it, some will hate it. I really didn't like the last train home as a followup to walk like an egyptian, even if I have to admit that it was fitting.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Duwang subs ED

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Love me some Jojo effortposts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

I'm also much happier with it than I'd be with freaking smash mouth, but that's probably heresy in this thread.

It's fine, we, the good guys, won.

e: VVVVVVVVVVV - It's one of those memes that got spread and echoed so often that people forgot it was a joke and started to actually want it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zwiebel posted:

It's a song that people liked at the time and it's cool to hear it again.

Not really much to discuss when it comes to differing tastes in music. Some will like it, some will hate it. I really didn't like the last train home as a followup to walk like an egyptian, even if I have to admit that it was fitting.

I don't think many people wanted All Star for real.

The ones who did know who they are and that they should feel bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Saying how the ED is fitting would probably be a big spoiler for an important character. It is very fitting, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited to watch the anime version of a part that i like better than the previous 3 and is one of my favorites overall. it's so relaxing*.

*relaxation may or may not involve grandpas being murdered and criminals being fused with rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Saying how the ED is fitting would probably be a big spoiler for an important character. It is very fitting, though.

Yeah, I actually think it has a lot of legit thematic resonance with DiU, especially the later parts. It's still a terrible song sung by a Guy Fieri look-alike, but it does fit.

• Locked thread