Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I'm curious, is there an established canon map for this show? Obviously Tondc is Washington DC. I was assuming Polis was Annapolis but that seems in question with the Polaris twist revealed. I read somewhere that Mount Weather was the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. Didn't we see the Statue of Liberty or something in the desert? So that would mean that whole "dead zone" is the tri-state area and the AI's island is probably off the coast in New England?

I see some vague mapping online but I was wonder if there was any clear thing laid out because this stuff interests me. I always get a kick when they do something like reveal the Lincoln Memorial and then "tondc" clicks in my head.

Like, the Ice Nation would be what? Toronto/Canada? The Great Lakes froze over?

Well, assuming nuclear winter, the ice line would be a lot farther south.

Those huge rocky mountains all over the place look weirder to me, could they conceivably be local mountains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

zoux posted:

Those huge rocky mountains all over the place look weirder to me, could they conceivably be local mountains?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains This is my guess, disfigured by nuclear war or something.

Edit: went looking for maps, and while I haven't found anything with theorized boundaries for the 12 clans, this tumblr seems to have some maps of the locations from the show. The blog hasn't been kept updated for the new season.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 4, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

She's a lot less annoying than Charlie from Revolution was, that's for sure. Somehow her arc just works really well.

After this season, I should do a rewatch to see how well all the characters progressed, and how well it all holds up over the 3 seasons and the in show time it was supposed to have covered.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

As hollylolly said, they are (or should be) the Appalachian Mountains. And it's actually funny that they are always snowcapped in the show because in real life they aren't high enough to have permanent snow as the highest point in the chain is around 6,700 feet and that is in Virginia. I'll just accept the permanent snow as an effect of the nuclear war.

Since they film in Vancouver, the actual mountains in the show are almost certainly part of the Pacific Coast Mountain ranges which is why they are always snowcapped.

You can also tell they aren't the actual Appalachians because the Appalachians don't really have 'sharp' peaks because they have been eroded over the millennia. They tend to look more rounded at their peaks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm curious, is there an established canon map for this show? Obviously Tondc is Washington DC. I was assuming Polis was Annapolis but that seems in question with the Polaris twist revealed. I read somewhere that Mount Weather was the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.

Mount Weather is Mount Weather.

The "reviews" of the location are about what you would expect.

Distance and geography-wise, none of the named locations in this show seem to really reflect reality, so there's no real point in reading into it too deeply.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 5, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

I support this message.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

zoux posted:

Can we just get a Murphy spinoff. Whenever he's not on screen I find myself wondering, Where's Murphy? What's he doing right now?
Same. Because you always know that something interesting (horrible) is happening to him and he's just rolling with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TMMadman posted:

As hollylolly said, they are (or should be) the Appalachian Mountains. And it's actually funny that they are always snowcapped in the show because in real life they aren't high enough to have permanent snow as the highest point in the chain is around 6,700 feet and that is in Virginia. I'll just accept the permanent snow as an effect of the nuclear war.

Since they film in Vancouver, the actual mountains in the show are almost certainly part of the Pacific Coast Mountain ranges which is why they are always snowcapped.

You can also tell they aren't the actual Appalachians because the Appalachians don't really have 'sharp' peaks because they have been eroded over the millennia. They tend to look more rounded at their peaks.

Yeah, I've never seen them irl but I always thought the Appalachians were a lot hillier than the western ranges.

I guess you could say that the nuclear cataclysm caused violent tectonic upheaval.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Clark just keeps grabbin dem titles. Wanheda, Flamkepa (? Spelled right?), boss rear end bitch.

I was actually kinda relieved to see Lincoln go because A) he felt so underutilized this season, B) it throws a big honking wrench into Clark's plan, and C) it means that American Gods is coming sooner rather than later!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm laughing so loving hard. A clip of the next episode has been released and it features Murphy as a literal sex slave, with a chain and collar and everything. This show will not rest until every single horrible thing that can happen to a person happens to Murphy and he DGAFs his way through all of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

I'm laughing so loving hard. A clip of the next episode has been released and it features Murphy as a literal sex slave, with a chain and collar and everything. This show will not rest until every single horrible thing that can happen to a person happens to Murphy and he DGAFs his way through all of it.

Death by snu snu.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

The Murphy is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised!

Also just go Murphy, I'd take that job.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I want to see those spoiler scenes so hard.

(:quagmire:)

Murphy really is the O'Brien of The 100

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E10 Fallen :siren:

Jaha uses a terrible method to get Abby to join his cause; Bellamy learns a difficult truth; Monty is in a dangerous spot; Jasper hurries to save his own life.

Additional synopsis I just made up: Murphy is in a life threatening situation and DGAF.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing Murphy probably has to worry about is being rode hard and put away wet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So based on the previews from last week Jaha is going to force Abby to swallow an ALIE pill?

For some reason just that one quick flash really got under my skin. That's a pretty loving irredeemable thing to do.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

So based on the previews from last week Jaha is going to force Abby to swallow an ALIE pill?

For some reason just that one quick flash really got under my skin. That's a pretty loving irredeemable thing to do.

:agreed:

Maybe it will be the twitter outrage of the week.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Jaha has been going more crazy as time goes on with ALIE, I mean he willingly carries around a nuke powered AI backpack with him. Plus the Raven bit has probably pushed him further overboard.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am mad because I forgot that basketball is preempting The 100 tonight and it won't be shown in Chicago until Sunday. :mad:

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Who's Clarke?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TMMadman posted:

I am mad because I forgot that basketball is preempting The 100 tonight and it won't be shown in Chicago until Sunday. :mad:

You can watch it online tomorrow.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

You can watch it online tomorrow.

Yeah I know and I probably will, but still irritated about tonight. I guess I'll just watch hockey instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WarLocke posted:

TBF he's not exactly in full control of his faculties...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Did Raven just get straight-up possessed? What should call her now? Ralie? Alven? :stare:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Spergatory posted:

Did Raven just get straight-up possessed? What should call her now? Ralie? Alven? :stare:

Dead, apparently.

Edit: Congrats, Bellamy. You're not completely useless!

Double edit: Murphy is so not minding this situation anywhere near as much as he might like to pretend it does. Welp.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 8, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jesus, this plot is delightfully hosed up. I'm so pleasantly surprised. Bellamy and Monty are going to have quite the interesting time coming home to The Borg Collective™.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Spergatory posted:

Jesus, this plot is delightfully hosed up. I'm so pleasantly surprised. Bellamy and Monty are going to have quite the interesting time coming home to The Borg Collective™.

I can only imagine they're going to run into Jasper and Clarke on their way back and end up on the "noping the gently caress out" train.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

What an episode. Alie and Jaha are perfect for each other. Borg Arkadia will spread across the land and bring peace to everything.

Murphy as fake flamekeeper continues to own.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hah, I got to watch it tonight!

Murphy really has gone from most hated character to one of my favorites. I even liked that he gave at least a token mention of his girlfriend.

I can't wait to see what happens next week.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love how Clarke ran in to Arcadia all breathless, ready to save the day.

:hist101:: "GUYS HOLY poo poo LET ME IN, I HAVE TO ADVANCE THE A PLOT!"

:supaburn:: "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT CLARKE, THIS IS THE GODDAMN A PLOT AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT'S GOING ON!!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo's coming to a head, how many episodes we got left this season?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

poo poo's coming to a head, how many episodes we got left this season?

I think there are 16 episodes this season, just like season 2. So 6 more?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
The latest episode was loving great. Really peak The 100 crazy plots and twists. I love how Jaha has somehow become more insane - not only is he a weirdo cult leader but that cult turns out to be the loving proto-borg! Murphy is great, I would watch this show just for him and we're finally seeing all the plots kind of come together and move forward. Oh and Bellamy might finally be realising what dick he's been, so really great all round.

I'm still not convinced by Pike or Antari as villains but ALIE makes for a really fun and sinister one. The season got quite rough for me for a few episodes but if this show keeps up this momentum and doesn't do anything dumb then I'm really excited for the final third.

And man that preview - looks to me like they're gonna put the Commader AI in Raven to duke it out with ALIE. Maybe Raven survives and becomes Commander? gently caress I am so on-board.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TMMadman posted:

I think there are 16 episodes this season, just like season 2. So 6 more?

For some reason I thought there were 20 but I knew that was wrong.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Murphy should narrate the opening from now on.

quote:

I was born in space

But to survive on the Ground, I had to sleep with a superhot, bloodthirsty Commander.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Which is hilarious, as long as no-one thinks very hard about the actual scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oh jay posted:

Murphy should narrate the opening from now on.

Well Murphy has to pick between crabclaw mutant who would betray him for more loot or crazypants commander who would have him killed for more power.

Just another day for the ol Murphster. I bet he wishes he was back in the swag bunker.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Definitely a lot more moving pieces to get our interest in this episode, some plot crossover at last, but...it still felt kinda weak. It was watchable but not amazing. Between the eye-gouging and the aggresive sexuality, the new Commander lady feels like someone's self-insert Game Of Thrones fanfiction character. Bellamy's redemption arc is hosed because he basically committed genocide and I will never care about him again. Isaiah Washington continues his streak as the worst actor on the show. (Okay, that's probably an exaggeration, but I do find him very dull and unlikeable and desperately wish they'd left him for dead in season 1)

On the other hand, every scene with Raven was basically amazing. I don't know what it is about Lindsey Morgan but I ALWAYS find myself feeling for that character. Every time she cries, it makes me want to cry. Eliza Taylor has done some fantastic acting in this show and totally sells Clarke as a character, but there's always been something more relatable with Raven...

I really just want this to be the Raven and Kane show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi, thread. I just learned that 1) Desmond from Lost is on this show, and 2) he is looking Handsome As gently caress on it, and welp. :allears:

Before I binge on 2.5 seasons in a weekend, how much am I going to regret this decision on Monday, and/or how does this show compare in quality to BSG and Alphas (which I loved) and the Stargate spinoffs (which I did not)? From the look of things, it seems like the show has a "BSG during the New Caprica era" vibe to it -- is that close to accurate?

E: I don't care about spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It starts off with like a young adults/ CW version of BSG that very quickly begins to subvert the usual storytelling tropes associated with the genre. There one big oh poo poo moment that happens in episode 3 that's an indication of things to come, and then it just keeps rolling with them. Bear with the teen romance plots in the first season, they're by far the worst part of the show.

Last night's episode was a breath of fresh air now that the Pike stuff is wrapping up. I knew Raven's actress was great, but she really got to show off her action chops with the AI plot stepping up. So glad the plot's moving at a fast clip again.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread