Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Basically F1 has no idea what it wants to be and is trying to achieve two mutually conflicting goals - be the most advanced cutting edge glamorous technological series while simultaneously giving the most exciting closely matched racing spectacle - whilst simultaneously trying to hark back to a rose-tinted glory era which never existed.

Look at the history of F1 and click on a random race report and you'll most likely see a story of how Schumacher/Prost/Andretti/Moss/Fangio started from pole and won by half a lap because that's how it has always been, the reason everyone has Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon 79 imprinted on their minds is because the wheel to wheel battling was exceptionally rare even back then but everyone wants to 'bring back the real racing like the good old days' because people are dumb.

If F1 want to make close unpredictable racing a regular feature the first thing F1 could and should do is re-balance the payments so smaller teams have more resources try to compete with the big boys but that would mean Bernie agreeing to not be paid a zillion dollars for being a grumpy dwarf and old teams agreeing not to be paid a zillion dollars just for being old teams so good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Helicon One posted:

Counter-thought: if some cars are faster than others, and the qualifying system causes the faster cars to start the race in front of the slower cars....?

Although this is true, different cars also have different ways of performing. Maybe the cars in front have great one-lap pace but don't have race pace, or they're worse on their tires, or they perform badly when it's a hot day. When the cars get close to each other, a lot of that potential for differentiation is lost.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The way to make formula 1 better is to bring in more engine manufacturers to subsidise development and have more of the grid works or like renault were for a few years. This won't happen unless F1 is made more of an attractive option as a research platform, not to dumb down the sport. It is probable that a lot of big car manufacturers look at the way F1 is run by Bernie and want nothing to do with it. If you were a multi national would you want to be anywhere near mysterious middle eastern investors who take 49% (or something like that) of the profits when no one can understand how the sport even got sold to them in the first place, and a promoter who wheels and deals and funnels money out of the sport when most big companies have a small department perfectly capable of doing the same job for a cost of £200,000 a year instead of untold millions. It's ludicrous. The teams own the equipment, the track owners own the track, the FIA govern the rules and Sky/BBC/other broadcaster and perfectly capable of filming and broadcasting. There is literally no point to Bernie or the FOM and hasn't been for years, no wonder big western corporations and sponsors look at the sport and go "well that's very corrupt isn't it, nope".

btw and here's a fun fact: Mexico happened not because of Bernie who had nothing to do with it but because Arrivabene in his capacity at marlboro and as the sponsors representative on the world council got it done, for free.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 8, 2016

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Thought experiment: If all the cars are the same, how can they overtake each other?

Blessed drivers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Helicon One posted:

Basically F1 has no idea what it wants to be and is trying to achieve two mutually conflicting goals - be the most advanced cutting edge glamorous technological series while simultaneously giving the most exciting closely matched racing spectacle - whilst simultaneously trying to hark back to a rose-tinted glory era which never existed.

Look at the history of F1 and click on a random race report and you'll most likely see a story of how Schumacher/Prost/Andretti/Moss/Fangio started from pole and won by half a lap because that's how it has always been, the reason everyone has Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon 79 imprinted on their minds is because the wheel to wheel battling was exceptionally rare even back then but everyone wants to 'bring back the real racing like the good old days' because people are dumb.

If F1 want to make close unpredictable racing a regular feature the first thing F1 could and should do is re-balance the payments so smaller teams have more resources try to compete with the big boys but that would mean Bernie agreeing to not be paid a zillion dollars for being a grumpy dwarf and old teams agreeing not to be paid a zillion dollars just for being old teams so good luck with that.

Pretty much this, F1 is a big tech show where occasionally a race breaks out.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/TeamMcLaren/status/718047942888857600

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I particularly enjoy the aspect of the sport where billion dollar multinational companies and wealthy individuals squander eye watering amounts of money to complete, yet completely suck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best bit is the inevitable Williams loving up of a pit stop.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Development wars are the best when you have the tobacco industry fire-hosing money into the sport to pay for it all but welp

Helicon One posted:

preach

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the "problem" F1 faces with all its current attempts at making the racing better is that mercedes is still simply better than everyone else. there's no way to get them off the front of the grid without crashing into them or explicitly penalizing them for being good. the new tire rules, for example, are great because they give teams a wider array of strategy options. mercedes has always picked the right one. ferrari had a chance at the win in melbourne and blew their tire strategy.

e: oh hey ericsson's personal sponsors gave sauber an advance so they don't have to die: http://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/sauber-gets-sponsor-advance-to-pay-salaries_sto5426417/story.shtml

wicka fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Helicon One posted:

Basically F1 has no idea what it wants to be
This is not true at all. It wants to be a massive cash cow for Bernie. And it is continually achieving spectacular success at that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

cheesetriangles posted:

Pick starting grid spots out of a hat.

A reminder Nascar has literally done this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

A reminder Nascar has literally done this.

...when?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I know Indycar did it once in 2011, are you thinking of that?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Reading Will Buxtons latest article about Haas and Williams i learned a few interesting things about their early days, i knew they were a customer/indie team, but i didnt know how hypocritical their early years make them, starting with their first car, a definitely-not-brabham.

I knew that, but what i didnt know is from 1970 to 1978 they only really "made" two cars, both of which were done in very Haas/Dallara like partnerships, otherwise they were outright running other peoples cars, 2007-2008-era toro rosso style Its almost as if "sour grapes" was invented for european racing teams.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 8, 2016

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Reading Will Buxtons latest article about Haas and Williams i learned a few interesting things about their early days, i knew they were a customer/indie team, but i didnt know how hypocritical their early years make them, starting with their first car, a not-brabham.

I knew that, but what i didnt know is from 1970 to 1978 they only "made" two cars, both of which were done in very Haas/Dallara like partnerships. Its almost as if "sour grapes" was invented for european racing teams.

You seem to have a bit of a bug up your arse about the perception of an American team.

It really doesn't make any difference - any, and I mean any team doing what Haas did would attract the same ire; Toro Rosso did years back, as did Ligier in 1995.

As for F1 forty years ago, it was en entirely different animal. You could still buy a chassis and stick a DFV and Hewland 'box in it and go racing; this was pre the TV money era and what constitutes a team in terms of revenue share an voting power has completely changed.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Helicon One posted:

The important difference, and one we can never change, is that back in Ye Olde Days regardless of what was going on, there was always the possibility of death and explosions and all that jolly stuff. Now we're living in a world where a McLaren can do an impromptu Baryshnikov interpretation and its driver can walk away perfectly fine bar a scuffed tattoo, it's not enough to just be fast any more.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
It's true that any team would attract the same ire as Haas.

But Pat Symonds and Williams are taking a very annoying approach with their criticism, holding themselves out to be the last bastion of pure constructor hope whilst staring deep into the abyss of prudent and economical team formation. They have too high an opinion of themselves.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

I know Indycar did it once in 2011, are you thinking of that?

Nascar did it for a non points race but oh god you're right, Indycar did it in one that mattered.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Indycar is where record breaking race finisher Our Max Chilton went, so it clearly has the best ideas.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imola man is holding talks with Bernie.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'm not optimistic, but I'd love it if it came back.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Bernie is posturing to get Monza to cough up more money, in my not particularly insightful opinion.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Or possibly doing something like Germany and alternating Monza / Imola to try and save both while saving each a bit of money?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Or possibly doing something like Germany and alternating Monza / Imola to try and save both while saving each a bit of money?

I'd be okay with this. Imola is a rad track. Monza has uhhh tradition and stuff...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am not in favour of dropping Monza, sorry.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Doesn't the Nürburgring suggest that the forgone revenue outweighs the cost of paying the goblin more? Or are their financial difficulties independent from F1?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

I am not in favour of dropping Monza, sorry.
Neither am I. But if it comes down to alternating Monza and Imola, or losing Monza and replacing it with a track in an Oil Dictatorship country, I'd rather have the Italian tracks share.

runoverbobby posted:

Doesn't the Nürburgring suggest that the forgone revenue outweighs the cost of paying the goblin more? Or are their financial difficulties independent from F1?
The Ring has been in financial trouble for ages, not necessarily due to F1 but F1 hasn't helped it any.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

runoverbobby posted:

Bernie is posturing to get Monza to cough up more money, in my not particularly insightful opinion.

:agreed:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Came across a collection of all the F1 event artwork for each race from '46-'16. I will say, 2010 was sweet.

http://www.cr-images.de/collections.php

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It's so F1 that tracks are expected to lose money by having a race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GramCracker posted:

Came across a collection of all the F1 event artwork for each race from '46-'16. I will say, 2010 was sweet.

I'm a big fan of the 2011 ones as well, and the wireframe look of 2000.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

I love these so much. Think I need some prints.

I already have so much F1 wall art...just a couple more won't hurt.

Also looking at getting a F1 Wheel to turn into a coffee table to put next to my sim rig.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

Imola is a rad track.
It's killed some good drivers, sure. What track has killed the most drivers, anyway? I know what team has. Lotus surely.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's killed some good drivers, sure. What track has killed the most drivers, anyway? I know what team has. Lotus surely.

Nurburgring. Indianapolis tops it though.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
More people have died at Monza than Imola anyway.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Nurburgring. Indianapolis tops it though.

When you read about the conditions at the old nurburgring it's actually scary that they used to run there.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

1500quidporsche posted:

When you read about the conditions at the old nurburgring it's actually scary that they used to run there.

Other series still run there which is crazy because that track is scary even in racing sims.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Many old tracks were insanely dangerous. Fuji's very first configuration dropped you into a steeply banked turn at 300km/h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yes, but I kinda feel like a lot of fatal Lotus wrecks weren't so much the fault of Lotus. Ronnie Peterson and Jim Clark's deaths could have happened to anyone in any car, in my opinion. Jochen Rindt is definitely an exception though.

• Locked thread