Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Am I the only one who wants a remake of FFVI, on Vita, in the style of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony?

I loathed SSH's art style so I'd say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BreakAtmo posted:

Am I the only one who wants a remake of FFVI, on Vita, in the style of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony?
You're the only one who wants something on the Vita.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the psp version of FF4 is the best so it stands to reason the vita version of FF6, a better game on a better portable, would be the best final fantasy of all time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

i'd rather have a FFV remake without phone graphics

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
FF1 with 3D graphics would be cool too, even tho i'm the only person who would buy it

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I loathed SSH's art style so I'd say no.

I was referring more to the isometric pseudo-3D thing than the actual art style.

Super No Vacancy posted:

the psp version of FF4 is the best so it stands to reason the vita version of FF6, a better game on a better portable, would be the best final fantasy of all time

Pretty much my thoughts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'd rather have a FFV remake without phone graphics
I literally just want the GBA remake with the few extant bugs fixed. They don't have to do anything else. No new new content, no new sprites, they have a functional translation, just let me purchase it on every platform ever made.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I literally just want the GBA remake with the few extant bugs fixed. They don't have to do anything else. No new new content, no new sprites, they have a functional translation, just let me purchase it on every platform ever made.

It'd be cool if they had a Bravely Default thing where you can speed up grinding, but i don't disagree with you really

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

after they finish FF7R in 2022 they will start a 5 part AAA VR remake of FF6 which will not be completed before the climate apocalypse

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It'd be cool if they had a Bravely Default thing where you can speed up grinding, but i don't disagree with you really

I dunno, they remade FF3. I would think more people would buy FF1 Remake than FF3 Remake.

I still don't know why they remade FF3. It seems like such a random title to remake. It's like, FF1 has the distinction of being the beginning of it all, FF2 has its infamy and then FF4 is still crazy popular. FF3 was the game I heard the absolute least about.

Maybe it was bigger in Japan.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

after they finish FF7R in 2022 they will start a 5 part AAA VR remake of FF6 which will not be completed before the climate apocalypse

At least we will still have good video games to play in our air tight bio domes.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This, but with the SNES/Super Famicom music as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

FF1 has the reputation ofbeing the beginning of it all

i'm being super nit-picky but uuuuuh reputation is prob not the word you meant here, since it's factually the first game in the series.

for the rest of the post tho, i think what they were trying to do was release FF3 in the west, since none of us ever got to play it, but they messed up by changing too many things and not letting the original game speak for itself

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF1 set the precedent that every Final Fantasy is the worst.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FF1 gave us 8-Bit Theater.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FF1 gave us 8-Bit Theater.

I guess it really is the worst game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i'm being super nit-picky but uuuuuh reputation is prob not the word you meant here, since it's factually the first game in the series.

for the rest of the post tho, i think what they were trying to do was release FF3 in the west, since none of us ever got to play it, but they messed up by changing too many things and not letting the original game speak for itself

Yeah, reputation isn't right at all. "Distinction" maybe.

And good point about finally getting FF3 to an international audience.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Is FF3 a lowkey entry in Japan as well? I can see Square giving it to Matrix software as sort of a test to see if they could do a 3D remake without giving them one of the more beloved titles.

Not that it, er, seems to matter given Square's mobile ports.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Is FF3 a lowkey entry in Japan as well? I can see Square giving it to Matrix software as sort of a test to see if they could do a 3D remake without giving them one of the more beloved titles.

Not that it, er, seems to matter given Square's mobile ports.

FF3 always ranks extremely low on Japanese popularity polls but I think largely due to it being forgotten more than specific dislike.

The bottom of the list is almost always FF2 though.

Generally the top of the list is something between FFX, FFVII and FFIV with FFV and FFVIII showing up reliably just below that and the rest of the games having no reliable order except FF12, 3, and 2 are usually lower on the lineup.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
^ I remember hearing that. Still interesting that FF6 is much more popular in the U.S. than Japan, otherwise both lists would be similar other than FF4 and FF5 being knocked down a tier each.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, they remade FF3. I would think more people would buy FF1 Remake than FF3 Remake.

I still don't know why they remade FF3. It seems like such a random title to remake. It's like, FF1 has the distinction of being the beginning of it all, FF2 has its infamy and then FF4 is still crazy popular. FF3 was the game I heard the absolute least about.

Maybe it was bigger in Japan.

This is entirely my conjecture, so take this with a grain of salt.

From what I heard they were going to do a 2D enhancement similar to what they did with FF1/FF2 on Wonderswan Color, except that system died out before they could really get started (though a couple screenshots did show up). I've also heard that they lost the source code for the game, so it'd have been more of a challenge to actually remake it in that style while they could just port the first two enhancements on every loving console they could. Eventually, after all the GBA rereleases when they got to the point where FF3 was the only FF not readily available in the U.S., it made sense to go all-out using the DS tech and make it a full-fledged remake since they had to put it together from scratch anyway, and at that point they thought it was more likely people would play an old NES game if they made it fully 3D. And it did work in getting attention as more than just the last "lost" Final Fantasy game, since SE felt compelled to then port that version to every loving system they could (probably because they ran out of stuff to port FF4 to).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 8, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is any version of ff3 good?

like I'd even take a romhack or something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Not really. The NES version is less horrible, but still has a lot of tedium and bullshit aspects.

I'm surprised no one's done a ROM hack or RPG Maker remake to try to fix the game's biggest problems yet. That's something I'd love to do if I ever got around to actually learning how to do that crap.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it really is the worst game

But without 8bit theater we wouldn't have had atomic robo which is a good comic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Reading the LP of it, I remember thinking some parts of FF3 NES seemed pretty cool for an NES RPG. But it is still an NES RPG and thus really archaic and hard to play without any sort of modification.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Levantine posted:

I would love a game to combine the gameplay of DS with the sprites of PSP. That's my ideal FF4.

I'd like the DS gameplay with the GBA sprites. The PSP sprites are god loving awful. I didn't mind the DS 3D renders of the characters though.

In fact, I'd love to see the mobile/PC versions of 4-6 with the GBA sprites. The mobile sprites are absolutely horrid and do not fit the characters in the slightest (Though they can keep the Amano mugshots)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah it's called "FF5"

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah it's called "FF5"

This was something I realized as well, when trying to think of how FFIII (and all of the games, really) could be improved. You would have to change so much about the game that you would be better off just making a new game.

Or saying gently caress it and just playing FFV instead.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
What's with the hate for 8bit theater? I say that as someone who didn't read it regularly but would occasionally be linked funny ones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ideas and story of FF2 sounds so cool on paper.

It's just...playing the game actively makes it all poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meh, I have liked all FF games except one. And I only got 3 more to go, not counting spinoffs. FFV will be done come Fiesta Time, I'll be starting FFVI again in a few days and that just leaves FF1.

Which version of FF1 should I play? It's the only one I've never really played whatsoever. I have Origins so I can just play that, I suppose.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bloodychill posted:

What's with the hate for 8bit theater? I say that as someone who didn't read it regularly but would occasionally be linked funny ones.

As someone that would read about 2 dozen lovely webcomics a day at that time, I thought 8-bit theater was wordy, unfunny garbage. It had a couple good comics, but it quickly became a parody of itself, rehashing the same joke each update. And then burying that joke under a word salad B^U couldn't even write.

I think Final Fantasy III would have blown me away if I played it at release. Looking back with modern sensibility there's no end to the bad decisions, but there's so many hints at good game play as well. I don't think I could say the same for II.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloodychill posted:

It's fine, not great but considering it's an old webcomic that went on an insane length of time it's readable enough. I somehow kept up with it for its entire lifespan, and it really drags on in long stretches, but it turns out to be a rather clever version of the FF1 story with pretty hit-or-miss jokes. It could be much worse, and the person who made it seems a decent enough guy.

Granted, I haven't reread it in years so it may have aged worse than I remember.

NikkolasKing posted:

Meh, I have liked all FF games except one. And I only got 3 more to go, not counting spinoffs. FFV will be done come Fiesta Time, I'll be starting FFVI again in a few days and that just leaves FF1.

Which version of FF1 should I play? It's the only one I've never really played whatsoever. I have Origins so I can just play that, I suppose.

Origins is probably the definitive version. The NES version is crazy buggy, and the later versions switch spell levels for MP and end up buffing a lot of stuff which makes the game pretty drat easy. Origins keeps the difficulty level of the original while fixing a lot of annoying bugs, adding features like retargeting away from dead enemies, and giving some really great visuals and music. There's also an easy mode that lets you level past 50 (though why you'd want to I have no idea) and lets spell levels go up to 99 charges rather than a max of 9 per level.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So as I prepare to replay FFVI in a little while and hopefully finish it this time, I gotta ask you guys something.
Now I made it to when Setzer joins the party, which felt like it took a decent while. I thought I understood the battle system. I thought it was a Class game, like IV or IX. Sabin is clearly a Monk, Cyan is a Samurai, etc.. Hell, we were just talking the other page about Strago being a Blue Mage.

But I guess I missed something or forgot something because I hear the game is like VII, or rather VII is a lot like VI, in that everyone can do anything. I don't remember this at all. Maybe this is why I actually had some trouble with the game even though I hear it's absurdly easy.

What was I missing?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

NikkolasKing posted:

So as I prepare to replay FFVI in a little while and hopefully finish it this time, I gotta ask you guys something.
Now I made it to when Setzer joins the party, which felt like it took a decent while. I thought I understood the battle system. I thought it was a Class game, like IV or IX. Sabin is clearly a Monk, Cyan is a Samurai, etc.. Hell, we were just talking the other page about Strago being a Blue Mage.

But I guess I missed something or forgot something because I hear the game is like VII, or rather VII is a lot like VI, in that everyone can do anything. I don't remember this at all. Maybe this is why I actually had some trouble with the game even though I hear it's absurdly easy.

What was I missing?
Espers, my dude.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

What was I missing?

It's a fixed class game where everyone can learn every spell through Espers. Magic just happens to be very strong in this game, so by late-game it's often more optimal to spam magic than to use each character's unique skill.

But gently caress optimization, I used each character's unique skills all the way through to the end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bloodychill posted:

it was real cool when i was 13 and as far as i care it will remain that way if i never re-read it or think about it again

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It had some good stuff but whenever the jokes swung back to 'Black Mage is EVIL' 'Thief is ARROGANT and STEALS THINGS' and 'Fighter is STIPUD' it got a bit samey.

Not Red Mage though, if only because his metagaming insanity always managed to scales new heights of sheer crazy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it's still pretty funny, the older pages don't hold up so well though because they're clearly a product of when it was just a stupid thing he only really planned to show his friends and was filled with Simpsons references and stuff.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
While you wait for the game, why don't ya shell out €225 for this thing to show how much you care about Final Fantasy XV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just beat FFX for the first time. It was really good. (Though I question their decision to make you redo the worst room in the game every time you lose to the final boss)

Should I move on to X-2? I hear a lot of mixed things about it, but a lot of people seem to think it has one of the best battle systems the series has to offer, and a good battle system in an RPG can make me ignore all sorts of plot issues they may have.