Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's really awkward to lead if you don't speak the language of half your soldiers and they also don't understand you. I always found it weird how fast that army stagnated after the Napoleonic Wars, despite the back and forth defeats, reforms and rebuilding from the ground up.

Then again all the armies involved in the Napoleonic Wars kind of went through this during the decades of peace.

Prussia didn't. They pretty famously used the shock of Napoleon kicking their asses to kick a lot of reforms [and not just military] into high gear.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Prussia didn't. They pretty famously used the shock of Napoleon kicking their asses to kick a lot of reforms [and not just military] into high gear.

Very true, the Prussians were very very certain to not be hosed over again by a foreign power after 1805. And it worked out for them.

Kind of.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

Austria-Hungary pretty drastically underfunded their army in the run up to WWI and were consistently the great power that spent the least on their army. I would not be surprised if this is something that had been happening since the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

I'll translate a couple of paragraphs on how the Army was run and financed during the Franz Joseph era, specifically during the Austria-Hungary period.

The bureaucracy-ridden Austria-Hungary also had to account for the problem of a massive, multi-level administrative system that surpassed any other contemporary system in its sheer complexity and extent:

Administration of the military was in the hands of three ministers, the Royal and Imperial, i.e. federal, minister of war, the Austrian minister of defence, and the Hungarian minister of the Royal Honvéd. These figures were charged with purely military matters. Besides them there were three finance ministers whose job it was to procure the funds and resources required by the military. The ministers, in turn, were constrained by the budgeting authority of the three representative bodies of the Federation: The Austrian Parliament, the Hungarian Assembly, and the Austro-Hungarian Delegations, composed of representatives of the two states.

Additionally the actors involved in determining the course of the military were the chief inspector of armed forces, the chief of staff, the head of the navy and two military offices (one reporting to the Emperor, the other to his heir apparent, Franz Ferdinand).

Consequently the approving of a military budget was by no means a simple task. The budget bill had to be passed by each of the two representative bodies in the extent in which it related to the Austrian Landswehr and the Hungarian Honvéd, and also in the Delegations, which approved the budget of the federal forces. Consequently the Hungarians became notorious for causing prolonged disruptions in military matters due to their desire to gain an even greater military autonomy. They would display a liking for linking military finances to reforms and monetary kickbacks to the Honvéd demanded by Hungarian leaders. Furthermore, sometimes the military requests of Vienna were taken hostage by the Hungarians who insisted on nationalistic concessions in exchange for making military reforms possible.

Additionally the Austrian Constitution cast another shadow on the military by containing articles which, instead of stating the target strength of the military, only outlined the procedure for setting up annual draft orders, the validity of which was once again dependent on the decision of both parliaments of the Empire. Therefore military planning became a mere plaything in the turbulent conflict of nationalistic passions and parliamentary bargaining.

http://historicalsociology.cz/cele-texty/2-2014/zdenek-jindra/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What is the closest word or expression in German that we can associate with the phrase a complete cluster gently caress?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

What is the closest word or expression in German that we can associate with the phrase a complete cluster gently caress?

Kaiserlich und Königlich, apparently.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goon military history has a new chapter coming soon.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fun fact: Austria-Hungary was sometimes sarcastically called "Kakanien" (from the abbreivation k.u.k.) in Germany. It also bears a certain resemblance to Kaka, which is what small children call poo poo in polite company. I'm sure this is very much a coincidence.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Well I am glad he is not dead. I look forward to a new era in the leper colony.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

He was picked up by the Russians.... I smell a sequel!

"Lunatic in Donetsk"

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HOLY poo poo. I fully expected him to be dead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Looking forward to the A/T thread!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It wasn't that similar in that in France, tax farming was under contract to the Crown. Now within the provices, governors frequently practiced tax farming but there was no real risk to the Roman governor's office, just the poor local retards who were doing the farming.

There was basically no risk to provincial authority for the Romans - you weren't under any real obligations other than to avoid shocking mismanagement, the abuse of Roman and allied citizens, etc, and you were pretty much on your own.

I wasnt talking about risk to the authorities so much as risk to the tax farmer?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oddly enough, the one unequivocal advantage the Austria-Hungary armed forces did have in 1914 over the Russians was that they had a vaguely efficient staff and an energetic man in a clearly defined role at its head, with whom the buck clearly stopped. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the last Hapsburg state was torpedoed in large part because a total clot ended up having far too much power for his own good...

100-Ish Years Ago

Today we have the long-overdue very first unveiling of the Official 100 Years Ago Terrible MSPaint Map of the Somme Battlefield (including the approximate locations of Bernard Adams and Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler; more to follow as people move into the sector). Yes folks, this means that General Rawlinson has produced a Plan. It's very much a first draft, but he's very proud of it. And you know what? It's not completely and totally hopeless, either. In fact, it prompts the use of such adjectives as "realistic", "sensible", "in agreement with current French theory", "based on the experiences of 1915", and other words and phrases that aren't necessarily associated with the Somme. On the other hand, today is the first day that we must say names like "Thiepval", "Pozieres", "Schwaben Redoubt", and "Beaumont Hamel".

In fact, the lack of reasons to take cheap shots at generals is downright disconcerting, and I'm stuck poking fun at Colonel Hankey instead, who's become rather less self-aware than when he accurately diagnosed the flaws in the planning for Gallipoli a year ago. Elsewhere, Grigoris Balakian gives us a wonderfully disgusting mental image of the state of his underpants, Edward Mousley continues to suffer with his friends (at least one of whom is not hiding behind a pseudonym), E.S. Thompson is also being incapacitated by disease, Evelyn Southwell remembers that he has a diary, Maximilian Mugge has a heart-warming patriotic moment, and Clifford Wells is such an idiot son of a Montreal millionaire that he can't even give Sir Samuel Hughes measles. Still, it's an excuse to take a few cheap shots at Hughes and his own idiot son.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Same. Now maybe he can start to receive treatment for schizophrenia

Also lol at "10 years marksman training"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's really awkward to lead if you don't speak the language of half your soldiers and they also don't understand you.
it's mostly fine

edit: whaaAAAAAAT

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

top kuk

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

:golfclap:

Trin Tragula posted:

100-Ish Years Ago

I can't believe Mousley referred to somebody he knew by their actual name.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

loving kuk Austrians and their kuk friends allying with the muslims to destroy Europe

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100-ish Years Ago, Again

We're now at the 4th of April. Say, is anyone here wondering what the arse hortillery has been getting up to since the Battle of Nery in 1914? Not much call for arse hortillery in trench warfare, you see. And I do believe that at Lolkisale Mountain in Tanzania today, we have an example of arse hortillery actually playing an important role in a battle with no support from the field artillery (which is still slogging over a plain in the middle of nowhere some 30 miles or so in rear). The fine gentlemen and beasts in question would be the arse hortillery attached to General van Deventer's 2nd Division to support the South African Horse, which today begins fighting the Schutztruppe at Lolkisale. For my part I'm duly grateful for the chance to say "arse hortillery" a few hundred times; it may well be my last, and I don't intend to let the arse hortillery leave the story for good without wheeling out the gag as many times as possible.

Hopefully you'll understand why once you scroll down a little and find the bit where I am forced to compare General Haig's strategic goals as formulated on the 18th of January, to the comments he made to his diary today about General Rawlinson's plan for the Somme. You know, the plan I was just getting so optimistic about. Sodding generals! A bit closer to ground level, Louis Barthas begins his rebellion against the Kronprinz and Commandant Quinze-Grammes by, er, asking the battalion adjutant to pass on his request to see the colonel; Edward Mousley hears the relief column launching a prepatory bombardment against the Hanna chokepoint for another big push, never mind that they're going to need a miracle and a half to actually achieve anything; Grigoris Balakian has an almost entirely rotten day; and Malcolm White is about to go back to France, but first he gives us a highly original reason for why he himself has gone to war. Check it out.

Empress Theonora posted:

I can't believe Mousley referred to somebody he knew by their actual name.

I just went back and checked really carefully, and not only does he introduce Square-Peg by his actual name (Mellor), which I totally missed first time through, he identifies him as being from the "Oxfords"; it's a rare luxury to have both a real name *and* a regiment in one of these old accounts. Translate that into the 1st Ox & Bucks, and we find what's no doubt a mildly bizarre story of how a mild-mannered subaltern called John Serocold Paget Mellor started (rather as our late friend Lieutenant Robert Palmer did) with the 2/5th Somersets, a second-line Territorial battalion intended only for garrison duty in India; it then found itself shoved ham-fistedly into the Poona Division and packed off to Mesopotamia, and Square-Peg himself did well enough to get an attachment to the Regulars of the 1st Ox & Bucks (and, at some late stage, a promotion to captain, which presumably explains why he's hanging around with Captain Mousley.)

When Mousley first met him, he was "convalescent from a bomb wound in the arm". This was sustained on Christmas Eve, fending off an Ottoman attack that killed all the other officers and most of the men in Square-Peg's company. Wish I'd known that at the time. C'est la guerre. Sadly, Cockie the chess grandmaster doesn't earn a real name, but I could certainly work out who he is if only someone could get hold of a list of the officers of the 6th Ammunition Column, RFA.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As we lay there watching the bright stars,” one veteran lieutenant was to say, “many a soldier asked himself the question: What is this all about? Why is it that 200,000 men of one blood and one tongue, believing as one man in the fatherhood of God and the universal brotherhood of man, should in the nineteenth century of the Christian era be thus armed with all the improved appliances of modern warfare and seeking one another’s lives? We could settle our differences by compromising, and all be at home in ten days.”

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slightly dumb question: over in the scale model thread, Unkempt posted a kit he just finished.

Unkempt posted:

Morane-Saulnier type N, 1/32nd, Special Hobby.

Meh. Doesn't look too bad now but it was a struggle all the way.

Note the wires going out to the wings. I know the Fokker Eindecker had those as well. What the heck are they?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are they not structural reinforcement?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Slightly dumb question: over in the scale model thread, Unkempt posted a kit he just finished.

Note the wires going out to the wings. I know the Fokker Eindecker had those as well. What the heck are they?

They support the wings, so the wings themselves can be thinner and don't have to support their own weight. Like guy wires for a telephone pole.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bear in mind also that both planes obtained lateral roll by wing warping, which is exactly as terrifying a concept as it sounds. They're warp cables.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

you might notice the plane has no ailerons. lateral control was done by literally bending the wings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_warping

those cables were attached to the stick and bent the wings to change relative lift characteristics and thus allow rolling

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Are they not structural reinforcement?

Aren't they wing twisting wires, taking place of the more modern flaps? IIRC there was a harsh competition between Curtiss patented flaps technology and the wing twisting method promoted by the Wrights, and I guess the patent battle that was part of this may have influenced airplane designs.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You'll be shocked and appalled to know that the Nieuport 11, the Bebe, was apparently one of the first planes to do ailerons good, one of the many reasons it outclassed the Eindecker so easily

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HEY GAL posted:

here's one from the 1700s, it's got coral instead of a talon or tooth or whatever that is, and the top part's a whistle

Woah woah back this thread up

That thing was found on Antiques Roadshow.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm so worried about Cockie. :ohdear:

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I know it's weird but i'm SO happy about this.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/718548673383309312

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Wow.

I did not expect those news.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Suspect Bucket posted:

Woah woah back this thread up

That thing was found on Antiques Roadshow.

You can't say that and not tell us what it was appraised for!

Also throw in a another holy poo poo caro is alive because holy poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pontius Pilate posted:

You can't say that and not tell us what it was appraised for!

Also throw in a another holy poo poo caro is alive because holy poo poo.

CIA HAS GIVEN CARO SOCK, CARO IS FREEEEEE

Anyhoo.

https://joyfulmolly.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/shake-it-baby-for-the-18th-century-bairn-who-has-everything/ £1,500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4H_fZeTni0 so many baby rattles. However, I can not find the episode it was on. I am pretty sure it was on AR UK, and Bunny probably presented (she's the best)

\/\/Butt Stuff 2016 \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 9, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm going to make a new shirt for reenactment, probably based on these models:
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extmencam.htm

I looked up how to do what modern seamstresses call an "insertion stitch," which is how the pieces of fabric are joined to one another in a lot of these examples, and:
http://www.victorian-embroidery-and-crafts.com/faggoting.html
http://diy-basicstitches.com/italian-insertion-stitch-complete-guide-embroidery/

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I'm not the only one who kept misreading "buttonhole" as "butthole", right? :butt:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Polikarpov posted:

I'm not the only one who kept misreading "buttonhole" as "butthole", right? :butt:

So, I take it the I-16 was an uncomfortable hunk of metal

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ltkerensky posted:

I know it's weird but i'm SO happy about this.

Same b. Dude was dangerous but he didn't deserve to die. Also maybe he can get the help he needs now. a lot of fuckin help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Retarded Pimp posted:

So, I take it the I-16 was an uncomfortable hunk of metal

Pre-WW2 Russian stuff tended to be that way.

• Locked thread