Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I feel like as long as Arbalest is in the 4th position that it's superior in every way to a Vestal. I guess the only thing the Arbalest doesn't have over Vestal is stun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

fool_of_sound posted:

Aboms are insanely good, I can't seem to get the hang of jesters though.

My Jesters basically exist for Battle Ballad, which turns your party into speed-addled psychopaths by like the second turn. You can often finish off an enemy that squeaked by the last round with Dirk Stab since the Jester's own speed is so high, and Harvest/Slice Off are useful in the Warrens and Weald if you can get them into the third slot.

They're still way less useful than pretty much every other class but if you need them to let your Abominations go sickhouse they can still pull a little weight.

How Rude posted:

Don't forget the Arbalest's battle bandage skill is absurdly loving good with any self-healing allies, and also just a good patch-up job in general.

Arbalest heal buff pairs really well with the Antiquarian's heal since everything in the game rounds up. It can turn her piddly little patch into an actual source of recovery.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Probably not a Leper AND an Abomination, but Hellion has a self-heal, too. I deeply regret the loss of my Medical Bracers. And also the Arbalest they were attached too, a little.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The way to use Jester is Solo->Finale, repeat

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finale never seemed to do enough damage to elevate it above the other options for a 1st slot attacker. Then again, I don't think I've managed to keep a Jester alive through to level 5 yet, let alone 6.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

a shameful boehner posted:

The way to use Jester is Solo->Finale, repeat

I like using Jesters, but I still have trouble justifying Solo, as despite its rather nice debuff, a: things still hit me frequently, b: it puts him in a dangerous position in exchange for a bit more speed, and c: it isn't Battle Ballad or Inspiring Tune. If Solo gave him a big Dodge boost, or had a -Prot or -Speed on top of the -Acc, it might be worthwhile, but as it stands, Solo feels like too much risk for too little reward.

That said, Jester needs some buffs to pretty much everything that isn't Inspiring Tune or Battle Ballad (and maybe Harvest).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah, track 'em by sound

e:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Miron so fat it takes three masks to cover his chins.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm trying out NG+, and two thoughts...

holy crap, the rank 4 upgrade grind on a time limit is loving REAL.

Do monsters get a magic pixel of health in this game mode? It sure seems like they're hanging around at 1 life a lot.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Do monsters get a magic pixel of health in this game mode? It sure seems like they're hanging around at 1 life a lot.

Don't they just have more HP? That might be throwing you off.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Getting enough money to upgrade weapons and armour to max is hell

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BBJoey posted:

Getting enough money to upgrade weapons and armour to max is hell

I have a much harder time with the relics than the cash.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Most of my heroes have hit lvl 5 yet all of their weapons and armour are still at least 2 levels behind.
Think this was because I started my game around the time they tried reducing the XP requirement for leveling. Some of my troops skipped level 4 completely.
Not sure where all my gold keeps going.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I did my NG+ run I had all the relics I needed wayyyyyyyy before I got enough cash to actually upgrade everyone. I was only outfitting the bare minimum of 16 people in the Darkest Dungeon as well. This was before they adjusted for any of the grinding though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another difference is that I'm using the Antiquarian a lot. She sucks, but she makes the cash grind a lot easier.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

A.o.D. posted:

Another difference is that I'm using the Antiquarian a lot. She sucks, but she makes the cash grind a lot easier.

It's not that other characters aren't better, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well she can hold her own. The group dodge boost stackpocalypse and well placed coup de gras strikes make her worthwhile between camps, IMHO.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tias posted:

It's not that other characters aren't better, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well she can hold her own. The group dodge boost stackpocalypse and well placed coup de gras strikes make her worthwhile between camps, IMHO.

That +10 dodge at rank 5 skill level actually makes a huge difference. She's one of the few characters that peak at resolve 5 instead of resolve 2.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Antiquarian guarding with a Highwayman using Duelist's Advance for riposte is super strong. I don't feel like I'm giving up any significant amount of combat effectiveness by taking her with that combo.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Am I missing something about this game or is it really heavy on grinding? Grind to level team members (including backups), grind to buy building upgrades, grind to upgrade team members. The concept and core gameplay are great but I feel like I've been on a treadmill for the 14 hours I've been playing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It absolutely is. The developers have made some welcome changes recently to reduce the grind a bit (adding the ability to recruit high level folks from the stagecoach, making it possible to exchange heirlooms, the Antiquarian, etc) but it's never going to completely go away.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eldred posted:

Am I missing something about this game or is it really heavy on grinding? Grind to level team members (including backups), grind to buy building upgrades, grind to upgrade team members. The concept and core gameplay are great but I feel like I've been on a treadmill for the 14 hours I've been playing.

It's grindy, yes. I haven't been playing for that long, but the update that came like the day before I started playing cut back on grinding a lot, and apparently more is in the works?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

a shameful boehner posted:

I feel like as long as Arbalest is in the 4th position that it's superior in every way to a Vestal. I guess the only thing the Arbalest doesn't have over Vestal is stun.

A stun, an AoE heal, a better single target heal for short fights (plus better class trinkets imo) are pretty big. I like Vestals and dedicated healers though, so maybe it's just my style.

The only straight-up bad class I think is the Jester, I think I'm gonna avoid them altogether at my next shot at new game plus.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Okay, glad I'm not just banging my head against the wall then. This game would have been my jam back in high school but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the time to beat it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've never felt like anything has been a grind in this because I genuinely liked loving around with new team compositions and doing explorations/fights. I just love the whole system, I think I'm in week 120 in the game and haven't even done the first DD mission because I am addicted to getting as many level 6s as I can.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eldred posted:

Okay, glad I'm not just banging my head against the wall then. This game would have been my jam back in high school but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the time to beat it.

I've taken to just playing one or two dungeons at a session, which is about how long a single session of a short roguelike takes, and have been much happier with the game.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Power of Pecota posted:

The only straight-up bad class I think is the Jester, I think I'm gonna avoid them altogether at my next shot at new game plus.

Jester is pretty good when you're running a double abomination comp, and he's actually pretty useful in the first level of the darkest dungeon since the stress levels there can be absolutely insane.

But I think he's not a well designed class in general, because stress heal, while helpful and a consideration in some fights/dungeons, is really hard to value. Over time I guess it would save you money from having to send your people to the abbey/bar a little less, but that effect is secondary and very hard to quantify. On the dungeon level it can help salvage some runs/fights, but as a form of 'health' (ie you lose your hero when it fills up) it goes all the way to 200, and you have a LOT more leeway with stress than you do health, where some damage effects can almost one-shot heroes (I'm looking at you loving tree guy). Hell, letting stress hit 100 can actually, in rare cases, be helpful.

I'll also mention that healing in general I don't think is particularly useful as an optimal strategy - you want speed, damage, and stuns wherever possible. It's definitely necessary to have solid healing in certain fights or situations, especially boss fights, but it's not worth focusing on, since by design enemies will out-damage you in a longer fight. The reason the occultist/vestal are actually decent classes (and why I think the occultist is about 2x better than the vestal) is they have damage, marking, stuns, and good camping skills.

So what does the jester have other than the stress heal? Some ok camping skills, some pretty poor bleed skills, and some mediocre buff/debuff skills.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
battle ballad is probably the best buff in the game, it is far from mediocre

rank 1 gives you +3 speed, +5 acc and +2% crit, and it stacks for each subsequent turn. in later dungeons when enemy speed and dodge gets silly the rank 5 +10 acc and +5 speed make those lovely hags and cultists more bearable.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 11, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

counterpoint: you have to listen to that loving riff every time

jung jungla jungla jung

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

How Rude posted:

These two are not mutually exclusive. 9 times out of 10, Battle Ballad is still less useful than a good attack.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

How Rude posted:

rank 1 gives you +3 speed, +5 acc and +2% crit, and it stacks for each subsequent turn. in later dungeons when enemy speed and dodge gets silly the rank 5 +10 acc and +5 speed make those lovely hags and cultists more bearable.
The Speed doesn't matter on the first turn, since you can't pre-buff with it. The first turn is the most important turn of every fight. I care a lot less about going before enemies on turn 2 than turn 1.

Buffs/debuffs are only good in fights that can be expected to last quite a while.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A jester paired with two lepers packing +damage trinkets only (instead of a +damage and a +ACC) can make what would normally be a long fight into a very, very short battle. It's good for beating big things, and hew let's them rip through mobs quickly. Their biggest deficiency is the lack of accuracy, and battleballad covers that hole nicely.

The only things I'd be hesitant to use that grouping on are the hag and the prophet, and really, they can chew through the pews reasonably quickly, so I'd only worry about the hag.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

counterpoint: you have to listen to that loving riff every time

jung jungla jungla jung

...I'm so happy in the jungle oh ho woah uh ah ohhhhh?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

A jester paired with two lepers packing +damage trinkets only (instead of a +damage and a +ACC) can make what would normally be a long fight into a very, very short battle. It's good for beating big things, and hew let's them rip through mobs quickly. Their biggest deficiency is the lack of accuracy, and battleballad covers that hole nicely.

The only things I'd be hesitant to use that grouping on are the hag and the prophet, and really, they can chew through the pews reasonably quickly, so I'd only worry about the hag.

Miron so fat he doesn't hew the pew, he chews the pew.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

warrens.png

following the latest patch, has anyone noticed enemies with self-move skills (e.g. Hook Where It Hurts, Boar Spear) changing position before the skill plays out? it's kinda irritating

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsTZtH8308

Someone managed to beat the final boss without CUYM activating. Amazing.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Azran posted:

He stared into the Abyss.

And smashed a sword in its face :stare:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome.

Miron so fat he gave the Heart of Darkness a heart attack

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Never did beat this game, or even get past the first part of the Darkest Dungeon. I should come back to it one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

following the latest patch, has anyone noticed enemies with self-move skills (e.g. Hook Where It Hurts, Boar Spear) changing position before the skill plays out? it's kinda irritating

Yeah I'm getting that too, it's annoying.