Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I didnt realize the latest versions of Awful were iOS 9.0 only; will this upcoming update also be for the older iOS 8.x versions, or will I have to update to 9.0 to fix Awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It'll only be for the latest version right now, I don't yet know how I would go about backporting a fix right now, sorry :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Looks like zdr turned off the feature that was causing awful to crash. The fix I wrote should work with it both on and off, so I still think we should get something pushed out as soon as possible so zen death robot can turn the feature he wants on.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 31, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can browse threads again, but I get crashes any place my own avatar would be shown (post preview, settings page)

Edit: posting about it seemed to fix it?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Well, that was harrowing. Congrats carry on then on quickly sussing the problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Posting to fix avatar issues?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can there be an option to turn off signatures in the app like there is for images and avatars? scrolling through a long list of img links is annoying

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the forums have signatures?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Is there any way to display embedded tweets in this app? I've heard people insist it's possible but I can't find a setting anywhere; I've deleted and redownloaded v. 3.11 from the Australian and Canadian stores but I still can't find a setting to turn this feature on

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Serrath posted:

Is there any way to display embedded tweets in this app? I've heard people insist it's possible but I can't find a setting anywhere; I've deleted and redownloaded v. 3.11 from the Australian and Canadian stores but I still can't find a setting to turn this feature on

It's something that may be coming/is coming in a future update but isn't currently live

Same with .gifv integration I think.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Tusen Takk posted:

It's something that may be coming/is coming in a future update but isn't currently live

Oh, thanks. Was worried it was because I was downloading from a non-US store or something

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it my SA settings or the app loving up that all the timestamps are an hour behind

It shows correctly in the post preview but not on actual posts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Tusen Takk posted:

works on my machine :smug:

because i built from source, it's coming though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's in the latest beta.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

The app has code that's supposed to convert the Flash-based embeds to the non-Flash embeds, but I guess that must have broken at some point.

This is almost certainly the correct answer. Maybe https hosed something up. I'll take a gander if no one beats me to it.

jivjov posted:

Awful just started crashing on the bookmarks screen for me. Deleting and reinstalling made it stop crashing on launch, but as soon as I logged in and went to my bookmarks screen, instant crashes again

I'm on whatever the latest version compatible with iOS 8.x is (I refuse to go to iOS 9 til they bring back two-finger-tap-to-select-paragraph)

I'll make a note and see about fixing it, but you won't see the results as Awful's iOS 9-only! Clearly seems to be an issue affecting the latest version though.

carry on then posted:

Okay, it's happening because avatar images are now being referenced by a data-cfsrc attribute (research indicates this has to do with cloudflare) if you have javascript enabled (Awful's scraper does) so it's not finding any element in the avatar with a src attribute and dying. I'm adding a check that looks for the data-cfsrc attribute but should be fine if the avatars go back to only having src attributes. If this doesn't change on us again, how soon can we have an update out, pokey man?

btw this breaks the settings because that view has YOUR avatar in it.

I'll get the latest master into beta tonight and submit, so whenever App Review's done giving me the goatse is I guess when it'll be out!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

This is almost certainly the correct answer. Maybe https hosed something up. I'll take a gander if no one beats me to it.

Beat you to it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pokeyman posted:

Maybe https hosed something up.

I preferred it without https anyway, at least somebody used to read my posts

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

Beat you to it.

:woop: thank you!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Has there been any talk about adding keyboard shortcuts and navigation? I bought a keyboard to make my tiny laptop dreams come true and button scrolling is the one thing I miss from browsers.

Otherwise it's been awesome. Keep up the amazing work this is a perfect app and the effort shows.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Feature request: if you hold on a forum emoticon, show the bbcode for it instead of showing it full-screen.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Feature request: if you hold on a forum emoticon, show the bbcode for it instead of showing it full-screen.

That would be a great feature.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh drat, yes please @ that

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I had to log in for the first time in ages and just want to say thanks for the 1password support. it works great. I wish every app implemented that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I updated the app and now it doesn't crash anymore :toot:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh nice. So how do you post tweets?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/710363314367414272

E: Just paste the direct link to the tweet in your post. Noice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SKY COQ posted:

Oh nice. So how do you post tweets?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/710363314367414272

E: Just paste the direct link to the tweet in your post. Noice.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472
edit: v cool :coolfish:

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 8, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

:anttony::anime::derp::drac::greencube::mrwhite::mrgw::coffeepal:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

oh boy the emoticons are fixed its like christmas morning

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Imbedded tweets are amazing; thanks for all your work Team Awful App! :c00l:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This app truly is something awful :love:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've also noticed tapping on links works without multiple taps. Nice update!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nice @ awfulhttps protocol being registered to Awful app, already used it this morning :c00lbert:

Tweet embedding (tweembedding) is neat but I have some complaints about it already!!! :c00lbutt:
  • You can't select the text in the tweet -- it'll highlight a word if you tap-and-hold but that will also bring up the "Copy URL / Cancel" buttons, and dismissing the buttons clears the highlight. And you can't drag a highlight anchor into the tweet if you started the selection outside the embedded tweet (mb due to safari iframe javascript ajax dom swift cloud rpc tunneling ppp telnet baud unittests html5 saas xss nodejs on rails, or more probably all of the preceding???). Dragging past the tweet can work but it won't copy the tweet itself, just the surrounding text.
  • If you tap on the embedded tweet, it replaces the entire page of the thread instead of opening in the browser sheet, which does let you see replies or whatevz but less useful if you want to keep reading the thread after the tweet. As far as I can tell, you can't get back to the current page of posts without reloading the page.
  • The tweet is bright white even on the dark Awful theme and I am worried it'll look even more out of place in the amber forum. Aesthetics Is My Watchword™

Okay thanks for listening!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ty for the twat embeds, the uspol thread is much nicer now :bernin:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh another #DarkModeProblems: some animated emoticons don't properly erase certain frames of the animation in dark mode, e.g.

:roflolmao:

:yikes:

:angel: (the extended wings never fully retract)

:zaeed:

This is not an exhaustive list, but I think all of the problematic examples I've seen share a white background that Awful app converts to dark background in dark mode, and possibly the "stuck" pixels are from a portion of the gif that remains identical over the course of multiple consecutive frames before changing.

Not sure how the dark mode emoticons were/are made so maybe it's just a problem with the initial conversion process, if those gifs are included in the app. But I'm guessing it's some kind of automated process since the zaeed one has black text stays black and illegible in night mode, even when the background is transparentized.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Abjad Soup posted:

This is not an exhaustive list, but I think all of the problematic examples I've seen share a white background

None of those you cited above have a white background though?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Yessssssss thanks for the tweets inline, the only times I was using the forums on desktop was when I follow YCS political threads with lots of people talking poo poo on Twitter. Now I can read my favorite threads ~on the go~, thanks everyone that contributes to the app!!!!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That seemed to break images for me, including emoticons and thread tags. Attempting to open a subforum crashes the app. iOS 9.3.1 with the latest version of the app, tried reinstalling but that only got rid of the tags I did have in my Bookmarks.

Edit: Everything works again!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, you can even play embedded video in an embedded tweet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The fact that Awful's embedded tweets don't throw the page all over the place makes me want to use it exclusively to browse the forums. Nothing like loading a thread and 80 tweets loading up after everything else making the page look like you're going bananas on the scroll wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

They still do it for me
Wellllllll poo poo. I only checked out a few threads with tweets and it seemed okay to me. Still, Awful is quicker than the browser version so that might even it out.

• Locked thread