Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Clearly the problem here is that you aren't going to Mead Hall. Universe Games does have great employees though, I will not deny that.

does either of them have a bar nearby, i'm moving to minniapolis in a couple months and i'd like to draft and dream about having money to do other stuff too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ Universe is right next to a bunch of bars of decent quality and is right above a speakeasy that I hear is great, Mead Hall is basically downtown so there's plenty there too.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Clearly the problem here is that you aren't going to Mead Hall. Universe Games does have great employees though, I will not deny that.
I'd go to Mead Hall (and I buy from them when I need cards asap :v:) but I hear some really untoward things about a number of the regular players. Plus it's an extra ~6 blocks to walk to.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 8, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

He traded lands for rares.
He traded rares for power.
He traded power for lotus.

In the end, he traded lotus for lands.

This is really good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HUMAN FISH posted:

Gotta say it's pretty funny browsing the forums with it

Yeah, even before I switched to plain http to fix the pics, the links were pretty funny.
Also, I follow a bunch of transformers pages on Facebook and that's how I found out there's an avatar called Takara

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yawgmoth posted:

^^^ Universe is right next to a bunch of bars of decent quality and is right above a speakeasy that I hear is great, Mead Hall is basically downtown so there's plenty there too.
I'd go to Mead Hall (and I buy from them when I need cards asap :v:) but I hear some really untoward things about a number of the regular players. Plus it's an extra ~6 blocks to walk to.

Oh no, I have a bad rep :ohdear:.

I'll admit, I don't do the constructed side of things, so there could be players that only show up for constructed that I don't know about. But the limited contingent has always seemed like a pretty chill bunch of dudes.

It also bears mentioning that Universe Games is very conveniently located if you also have a pressing need to purchase bondage gear :v:.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

well that sounds nice i need something to really stand out tho and i don-

The Lord of Hats posted:

It also bears mentioning that Universe Games is very conveniently located if you also have a pressing need to purchase bondage gear :v:.

well guess i know where i'm going

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I thought Dan Bock played Hoss on Bonanza. And was dead.

All I'm reading about him makes me want to leave him an upper decker.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wish my LGS did Modern on thursday nights

Sunday afternoon doesn't really work for having shots with your magic

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The pros mostly don't say poo poo about what decks are good before a new standard, but the more I play the more I suspect its just the same combo I started with: Always Watching into Ojutai. It's almost impossible to actually beat the combo of those cards and both cards are independently worth casting.

The fact that Ojutai's combat damage trigger draws answers to their answers makes it even dumber because there's practically nothing that can profitably block Ojutai with AW on the board, and there's a comically small number of answers to AW being on the battlefield.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

From my experience (Mead Hall's my main store), all the stories are probably just about one guy, who yeah, is really lovely when he loses. Guy blew up at me once, and the store owner made him apologize to me (which was an incredibly awkward, grade-school situation).

Granted, I don't draft often, so I don't know what that crowd's like :v:. The legacy scene around here is extremely cool and chill, though.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

The pros mostly don't say poo poo about what decks are good before a new standard, but the more I play the more I suspect its just the same combo I started with: Always Watching into Ojutai. It's almost impossible to actually beat the combo of those cards and both cards are independently worth casting.

The fact that Ojutai's combat damage trigger draws answers to their answers makes it even dumber because there's practically nothing that can profitably block Ojutai with AW on the board, and there's a comically small number of answers to AW being on the battlefield.

And people thought a 4/5 drain 3 was bad! I ran 8 rhinos plus clone effects in my janky 5 color Bring to Light deck in modern.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Boy did I sorta get hosed on a Fat Pack today. Like, there were some good cards in my pack but then the guy next to me opens his and he pulls- among other things- Two Elusive Tormentors, Thing in the Ice, loving ODRIC, Arlinn, and a foil Seasons Past.

Needless to say, said guys luck at least got me to buy two more regular boosters, one of which had Altered Ego.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

widespread posted:

Boy did I sorta get hosed on a Fat Pack today. Like, there were some good cards in my pack but then the guy next to me opens his and he pulls- among other things- Two Elusive Tormentors, Thing in the Ice, loving ODRIC, Arlinn, and a foil Seasons Past.

Needless to say, said guys luck at least got me to buy two more regular boosters, one of which had Altered Ego.

Other than feelbads why does what the dude next to you opened matter

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

I get premium for free right now and I think its loving garbo and I have no idea why people pay for this. Gerry's article today is a level of lovely that I didn't think could be possible.

It has been a lot more misses lately than hits. Gerry's article today was just "here are a bunch of decklists that I've seen on the internet." Most of their articles lately have almost exclusively been talking about each others decks, I'm wondering if it has more to do with the fact that 4 of their premium writers all brew / test / play in person with each other, it just seems very redundant.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Elyv posted:

Other than feelbads why does what the dude next to you opened matter

To be honest it probably doesn't since I can just buy an Odric before it goes up in price.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

To be honest it probably doesn't since I can just buy an Odric before it goes up in price.

Why would a hill giant go up in price

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

widespread posted:

Odric is probably going down in price.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Premium is a joke, no one who is on the pro tour or is involved with those who are is going to give any actual advice about the format.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zoness posted:

Why would a hill giant go up in price

Sickening posted:

Odric is probably going down in price.

I'm probably overvaluing it based on what the text says

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That Hydra can do it :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

Premium is a joke, no one who is on the pro tour or is involved with those who are is going to give any actual advice about the format.

I agree. Did a single vs video show a viable standard deck this time? And the deck lists look more like a list of fun fnm decks. Do people who casually fnm want to spend 10 bucks a month in premium? Why is it 10 bucks? Is cfb outclassing their content in every way while also being free?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish my LGS did Modern on thursday nights

Sunday afternoon doesn't really work for having shots with your magic

With how much you rag on Modern, I'm surprised you don't drink when playing it anyway :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That Hydra can do it :v:
World Breaker does it as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

World Breaker does it as well.
That's true, and World Breaker can answer Always Watching too, actually. But I've found ramp to be positioned kind of awkwardly and Always Watching ---> Archangel of Tithes ---> Ojutai is still a pretty brutal curve and you can still Reflector Mage blockers and rumble with the Dragonlord and use the Anticipate to draw into an answer to whatever you bounced.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

widespread posted:

lol I would have caps locked the Arlinn maybe, but you can probably get the rest pretty cheap.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What are some good themes in this set, like deck building?

I have a Vampire deck that wins 90% against my friend's werewolf deck because of Madness value plays, and Call the Bloodlines. Are werewolves weak, or is there something great that she's missing?

We like playing with the set gimmicks (eldrazi, allies, awakening, landfall) so if there is a better plan in this set, what might it be?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gensuki posted:

What are some good themes in this set, like deck building?

I have a Vampire deck that wins 90% against my friend's werewolf deck because of Madness value plays, and Call the Bloodlines. Are werewolves weak, or is there something great that she's missing?

We like playing with the set gimmicks (eldrazi, allies, awakening, landfall) so if there is a better plan in this set, what might it be?

Werewolves are generally weaker in Constructed than Vampires, historically speaking. If you're restricting yourselves to SOI cards then I'm not sure how to go about fixing that, but if you just want to make werewolf vs. vampire theme decks, dipping back to the original Innistrad for Huntmaster, Mayor of Avabruck, and maybe Immerwolf all seem strong.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

JerryLee posted:

Werewolves are generally weaker in Constructed than Vampires, historically speaking. If you're restricting yourselves to SOI cards then I'm not sure how to go about fixing that, but if you just want to make werewolf vs. vampire theme decks, dipping back to the original Innistrad for Huntmaster, Mayor of Avabruck, and maybe Immerwolf all seem strong.

I think Geier Reach Bandit and that new hasty 1 drop gives the Werewolves a bit more game than normal, but I can't imagine playing this standard without either white, black or both.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Logicblade posted:

I think Geier Reach Bandit and that new hasty 1 drop gives the Werewolves a bit more game than normal, but I can't imagine playing this standard without either white, black or both.

Yeah I think that if anything, there will be a CoCo deck that will have werewolves in it, but they probably won't get their own deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

With how much you rag on Modern, I'm surprised you don't drink when playing it anyway :v:

I haven't played it in 4 months so that's how

I'm just really excited about the SotM unban so I'm hopping back in

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It probably won't be able to compete with Casting The Best Card Every Turn but I think the werewolves are high enough in quality and with enough payoff that you can make a reasonable FNM deck.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm in love with SoI draft.

My LGS was having a free draft with prize support for the first 36 players for it's 22nd birthday. I drafted RG flips and value creatures, go 3-0, moonwalk out the store with 4 prize boosters.

MVPs were Pyre Hound (loving nuts), Tireless tracker (loving nuts), that stupid flip equip.

Get home, open boosters with housemate... 2 Westvale Abbeys and a Transverse the Ulvenwald (and other assorted crap)

Pretty loving good for a free event!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think I'll start drafting again, this seems like a really good set to give it a whirl on.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

FNM is pretty jumping people are way more excited than when I was here for Oath.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I think I'll start drafting again, this seems like a really good set to give it a whirl on.

I did a draft earlier today and can confirm the set is pretty fun. I ended up drafting 3-drop enchantment control, which I am declaring A Real Archetype because I won a bunch. ProTip: probably draft more Moldgraf Scavengers than I did.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I used to read scg for Carsten kotter articles and occasionally another article would catch my eye. But he apparently stopped writing for them so now I never visit scg. So yes cfb is better in every way.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

rinski posted:

I did a draft earlier today and can confirm the set is pretty fun. I ended up drafting 3-drop enchantment control, which I am declaring A Real Archetype because I won a bunch. ProTip: probably draft more Moldgraf Scavengers than I did.

how did that manic scribe do for you?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

how did that manic scribe do for you?

It was my main win condition!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

3-0 in my 3rd ever draft to take home top slot tonight, this set is amazing

MVP's at the bottom

White was WIDE open, some might say 8 removal spells is too many but they'd be wrong, had such a blast playing 10/10 would draft again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Werewolves feels really, really good with Collected Company.

That's all I got.

• Locked thread